News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

WV: West Virginia Turnpike news and developments

Started by seicer, January 30, 2009, 07:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

West Virginia pol drops attempt to give toll break to favored residents

QuoteWest Virginia senate majority leader Truman Chafin (Democrat) wanted to legislate for a special $1 toll at the state turnpike's three mainline toll plazas for residents of four counties (Kanawha, Fayette, Raleigh and Mercer) adjoining the Turnpike but he ran into a head-on conflict with the US Constitution. Chafin's bill provided that the Turnpike Authority would give residents of the four favored counties a sticker for their windshield entitling them to a $1 toll at the toll booth, compared to the $2 regularly charged. (WV E-ZPass users pay $1.30.)

Chafin wanted to be able to say in his electioneering, no doubt, that he tried to do a favor for the residents of these counties. He pled innocence of the US Constitution's "equal protection" clause usually held to forbid any government dictated differences of treatment.

The Equal Protection Clause provides that "no state shall ... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws"

I can see how the 14th amendment might apply here.  But, we have things like lower tolls for WV EZPass holders vs EZ-Pass users from elsewhere or for Grand Island residents in NY state.  Also similar is the proposed, "First Barrier Free" option to EZ-Pass users if I-80 tolling succeeds.

What am I missing?  Or, is it simply inconsistency in applying the 14th amendment.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

We're definitely missing something because Staten Island residents get a break on their NY bridges.

froggie

Grand Island and Staten Island may be special cases considering that there is no toll-free alternative to get to either.  That isn't the case with the WV Turnpike.

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 05, 2010, 06:26:01 AM
We're definitely missing something because Staten Island residents get a break on their NY bridges.

And on a non-roads-related front, Kentucky offers in-state tuition rates at some of its state universities to residents of certain counties outside of the state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on March 05, 2010, 03:28:41 PM
And on a non-roads-related front, Kentucky offers in-state tuition rates at some of its state universities to residents of certain counties outside of the state.

West Virginia does that.  Residents of  Gallia, Jackson, Lawrence, Meigs, Pike, and Scioto, Ohio and Boyd, Carter, Elliott, Floyd, Greenup, Johnson, Lawrence, Martin, and Pike, Kentucky pay a "metro rate" at Marshall, which is about halfway between in and out of state tuition.  In return, West Virginians gain access to UK and OSU programs in majors not offered in West Virginia that are normally reserved for in-state students, at in-state rates.  Mainly archetecture and DVM programs.

As to the turnpike toll issue, Chafin is in a tough re-election battle (in his district the democrat primary is the real election) and his district includes a part of Mercer county. 

Since the turnpike was paid off 23 years ago, Mr. Barr's comments in the article can be taken as the normal lies that come out of this corrupt careerists mouth.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on March 05, 2010, 09:36:32 PM

West Virginia does that.  Residents of  Gallia, Jackson, Lawrence, Meigs, Pike, and Scioto, Ohio and Boyd, Carter, Elliott, Floyd, Greenup, Johnson, Lawrence, Martin, and Pike, Kentucky pay a "metro rate" at Marshall, which is about halfway between in and out of state tuition.  In return, West Virginians gain access to UK and OSU programs in majors not offered in West Virginia that are normally reserved for in-state students, at in-state rates.  Mainly archetecture and DVM programs.

When I was a student at Morehead State, this was offered only to the border counties along the river (Hamilton and working southeast to Lawrence, and I think Gallia may have been included as well) but nothing to Wayne or Mingo in West Virginia.

Interesting that Marshall's program extends further "inland" than the border counties, definitely into Morehead's service area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2010, 12:25:10 AM
When I was a student at Morehead State, this was offered only to the border counties along the river (Hamilton and working southeast to Lawrence, and I think Gallia may have been included as well) but nothing to Wayne or Mingo in West Virginia.

Interesting that Marshall's program extends further "inland" than the border counties, definitely into Morehead's service area.

West Virginia goes even farther than that.  The state college system (all the schools except for Marshall and WVU, even though some have been renamed "universities" for political reasons) all have a joint metro rate.  Meaning the metro rate applicable to each college's nearby out-of-state counties is good at any state college.  For example a kid from northern Virginia could attend West Liberty (in the state's northern panhandle) or Concord (southern coalfields) because they live near Shepherd, even though they live 250 miles plus from the schools they would actually be attending.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.