Where do most of your Amazon packages come from?

Started by Pink Jazz, May 11, 2018, 09:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, which areas do most of your Amazon packages come from?

For me, besides the local fulfillment centers, I get a lot from the Inland Empire of California. I do get occasional shipments from Tracy, CA as well.

Note that if your area is served by Amazon Logistics the shipping label is marked with the fulfillment center code.

ET21

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19624.msg2247108#msg2247108 Topic on this

Chicagoland has a couple Amazon fulfillment centers, first one comes to mind in Romeoville. UPS and USPS does a good chunk of business with Amazon. The CACH facility I used to work at, we'd have trailers just bound for Amazon. Amazon packages would also come into our trailers bound for everywhere, my outbound mainly handled much of Illinois, some Wisconsin, Albuquerque/western Texas, Earth City MO, parts of Michigan, and northern Indiana.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Pink Jazz

Quote from: ET21 on May 11, 2018, 11:43:37 AM
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19624.msg2247108#msg2247108 Topic on this

Chicagoland has a couple Amazon fulfillment centers, first one comes to mind in Romeoville. UPS and USPS does a good chunk of business with Amazon. The CACH facility I used to work at, we'd have trailers just bound for Amazon. Amazon packages would also come into our trailers bound for everywhere, my outbound mainly handled much of Illinois, some Wisconsin, Albuquerque/western Texas, Earth City MO, parts of Michigan, and northern Indiana.

This is a different topic - not about carriers, but fulfillment centers.

As a side note, I do know that one of our local fulfillment centers, PHX3, was recently reconfigured to mainly stock apparel and footwear.  Also, a new fulfillment center, TUS1, opened last fall, which mainly stocks small sortable items (although I have yet to get any shipments from there).  Most of my orders that come from the local fulfillment centers generally ship from PHX6, which stocks small and large sortable items.  The other two, PHX5 (Goodyear) and PHX7, stock non-sortable items (bulky items or items with irregular dimensions).

In the Inland Empire, I mostly get packages from the three San Bernardino fulfillment centers (ONT2, SNA7, and SNA8), Moreno Valley (ONT6), and Eastvale (SNA6).  If I buy something bulky they may either ship from Redlands (ONT9) or Rialto (SNA4).

kphoger

I almost linked to that topic as well.  In fact, I had already typed my post and everything.  But then I double-checked and realized they were not the same.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

For the Solano County and Greater Sacramento area Amazon Packages in my area comes from West Sacramento.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/07/28/amazon-warehouse-sacramento/

Sometimes my Packages from Amazon will state that they came from Las Vegas before landing in the Sacramento area.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: bing101 on May 11, 2018, 04:56:58 PM
For the Solano County and Greater Sacramento area Amazon Packages in my area comes from West Sacramento.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/07/28/amazon-warehouse-sacramento/

Sometimes my Packages from Amazon will state that they came from Las Vegas before landing in the Sacramento area.

Suprisingly, I never get packages from the Las Vegas area fulfillment centers despite being in the Phoenix area. I know the Phoenix Sortation Center is linked to specific fulfillment centers by ground, which enables the use of Amazon Logistics or the last mile arrangement with the US Postal Service without having to use Amazon Air. Other than the local fulfillment centers and the Inland Empire, I know they are also linked by ground with Tracy, CA, Sacramento, CA, San Marcos, TX, and at least one of the Fort Worth, TX fulfillment centers.

bing101

Eth

Mine nearly always come from Lexington, KY. Occasionally it's Hebron, KY instead.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Eth on May 11, 2018, 08:02:52 PM
Mine nearly always come from Lexington, KY. Occasionally it's Hebron, KY instead.

Note that the return address on the shipping label isn't where your package shipped from, but is the designated returns center for the package.  If your package is shipped via Amazon Logistics you can figure out which fulfillment center your package shipped from by the code on the upper right (usually three letters and a digit).  If shipped via another carrier you can generally know via the tracking info (although postal city names can be different from the actual city when shipped via USPS - for example Eastvale, CA shows up as "Mira Loma, CA" when shipped via USPS).

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Pink Jazz

As an update, a new fulfillment center that I seem to be getting packages from lately is Amazon's newest fulfillment center in Eastvale, CA, LGB3.  This fulfilment center I think opened sometime last year, so I presume Amazon may have just started a ground linehaul route to the Phoenix area from that fulfillment center.

abefroman329

I would say at least 50% are from distribution centers.

The pain with the "fulfiled by Blahblahblah and shipped by Amazon" products is that you get the free two-day shipping from Prime, but you can't get same-day shipping if it's over $35.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 29, 2018, 10:36:05 AM

The pain with the "fulfiled by Blahblahblah and shipped by Amazon" products is that you get the free two-day shipping from Prime, but you can't get same-day shipping if it's over $35.

Obviously most Prime items would be from one of Amazon's fulfillment centers, but I would like to know which ones.  It seems like Amazon doesn't always use the nearest fulfillment centers when shipping to certain areas; for example I never get any packages from the Las Vegas area fulfillment centers even though I live in the Phoenix area; they mostly either come from the local fulfillment centers or the Inland Empire, with a few from Northern California and Texas when talking about packages that ship by ground.

Perhaps it could be due to capacity constraints for specific areas that fulfillment centers are assigned to.  I know Las Vegas sends a lot of packages going to California, so perhaps due to the demand from California plus the local demand, they can't handle the additional demand from Phoenix, which is why Phoenix is assigned the Inland Empire instead.

tchafe1978

I don't always order from Amazon, but when I do, it's from my wife.

sparker

Much of what I order from Amazon are books; the most recent came from what's likely a contract warehouse called "Circuit Cellar Inventory" (apparently specializing in electronics books) in Red Oak, VA.  I did order the 2019 McNally from them, but my GF opened the envelope and pitched it (the envelope, not the atlas!); and (not at all uncommon for me) I've mislaid the packing slip, so I don't know precisely from where the atlas was shipped.  Arrived intact, so I really don't care! 

Rothman

Ugh.  Just got a vacuum and same deal: Box got tossed.  Might be able to find it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

catch22

Quote from: Pink Jazz on June 29, 2018, 11:55:53 AM

Obviously most Prime items would be from one of Amazon's fulfillment centers, but I would like to know which ones.  It seems like Amazon doesn't always use the nearest fulfillment centers when shipping to certain areas; for example I never get any packages from the Las Vegas area fulfillment centers even though I live in the Phoenix area; they mostly either come from the local fulfillment centers or the Inland Empire, with a few from Northern California and Texas when talking about packages that ship by ground.

Perhaps it could be due to capacity constraints for specific areas that fulfillment centers are assigned to.  I know Las Vegas sends a lot of packages going to California, so perhaps due to the demand from California plus the local demand, they can't handle the additional demand from Phoenix, which is why Phoenix is assigned the Inland Empire instead.

Earlier this year, Amazon opened a 1.2 million square foot fulfillment center about 2 miles from my house here in metro Detroit.  We've yet to receive a shipment from there.  In the newspaper article describing the ribbon-cutting ceremony, someone from Amazon said that this center was to be used for shipping mostly larger items (like furniture and big appliances), not smaller items.  So perhaps various centers specialize and not all carry the same stuff.  Most of our routine deliveries come from Indianapolis, Columbus or Milwaukee.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: catch22 on June 30, 2018, 09:53:00 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on June 29, 2018, 11:55:53 AM

Earlier this year, Amazon opened a 1.2 million square foot fulfillment center about 2 miles from my house here in metro Detroit.  We've yet to receive a shipment from there.  In the newspaper article describing the ribbon-cutting ceremony, someone from Amazon said that this center was to be used for shipping mostly larger items (like furniture and big appliances), not smaller items.  So perhaps various centers specialize and not all carry the same stuff.  Most of our routine deliveries come from Indianapolis, Columbus or Milwaukee.

Yes, these are the Non-Sortable fulfillment centers, which handle items that are too large to be sorted by Amazon's machines, or items with irregular dimensions that cannot be handled by Amazon's machines.

We have two of these fulfillment centers locally - PHX5 in Goodyear and PHX7 in Phoenix.  Most items of this type that we order seem to come out of PHX5, although we did recently get an item from PHX7.  We have also gotten items of this type from ONT9 (Redlands, CA) and SNA4 (Rialto, CA).

Rothman

My vacuum came here to the Capital District of NY from Hebron, KY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Brandon

Beats the crap out of me.  I only order from Amazon once in a blue moon, if even that often.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Pink Jazz

It seems that some of the posts here might be incorrectly assuming that the packages shipped from the return address on the shipping label.  That address isn't where the package actually shipped from, but is a designated returns center for the package in case the package is refused or undeliverable.  While Amazon has fulfillment centers in Lexington and Hebron, very rarely do my packages actually ship from those fulfillment centers.  If your package ships via Amazon Logistics, the fulfillment center code is on the upper right of the label.  For example. the local fulfillment centers here have codes that start with PHX or TUS, while the Inland Empire have codes that start with ONT, SNA, or LGB.  With other shipping carriers generally you can easily figure out where the package shipped from.

Interestingly, Amazon sometimes still ships from the Inland Empire even if the item is in stock at one of the local fulfillment centers.  I just had an order that apparently shipped from Eastvale, even though it appears to be in stock locally since the item is eligible for Free One-Day Shipping over $35.  Perhaps Amazon's inventory control algorithms determined it would be more economical to ship the item from Eastvale instead of Phoenix, perhaps because Eastvale had more inventory.

bing101

Yes as usual I got something from Amazon for Christmas Shopping and all the packages that are delivered to my place are from Sacramento or Las Vegas. I hear about the Tracy Location but my understanding is that center tends to be a distribution center to San Joaquin Valley and San Francisco Bay Area (except for Solano County, CA). Amazon Packages going to Solano county addresses comes from the West Sacramento, CA and Las Vegas Amazon distribution brances.

kphoger

Remember when Amazon was an awesome online site for buying . . . pretty much just books?

My, how times have changed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on December 13, 2018, 01:29:11 PM
Remember when Amazon was an awesome online site for buying . . . pretty much just books?

My, how times have changed.

I do, actually. I had a summer project back in high school, 2007 or 2008 it was, and that's where I got my books from for that. I could have rented them from the school, but my mom insisted on buying them instead. Not sure why, but I still have them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.