News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

First transcontinental interstate

Started by texaskdog, May 11, 2018, 09:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

What was the first Interstate highway E-W completed across the country?

I should know this....

21stCenturyRoad

I-80. The final segment opened just west of Salt Lake City in 1986.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

jon daly

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on May 11, 2018, 09:36:15 AM

Wow. I would've guessed that one would've been completed before then.

texaskdog

at Promontory point?

sparker

The '86 completion date would make I-80 the first of the three "true" transcontinentals to be done.  IIRC, I-90's last section in Wallace, ID was completed circa '91 (please correct me if I'm mistaken), while I-10 through downtown Phoenix was opened at about the same time.  Now -- if a case can be made to include I-40 in the mix (horseshoe rules, where "leaners" count for something!) -- the completion of the Raleigh-Wilmington stretch in the early '90's would complete it at about the time I-10 and I-90 reached fruition as well -- but I-80's completion still does precede all the rest.

Bruce

The last segment in Idaho to open was a stretch approaching Coeur d'Alene in 1992, according to this article.

The Seattle-Bellevue section wasn't fully complete until the Lacey V. Murrow floating bridge was reopened in 1993.

US 89

Quote from: texaskdog on May 11, 2018, 10:36:57 AM

at Promontory point?

No. The original transcontinental railroad did not follow I-80 west of Echo, UT. It followed I-84 into Ogden and then went around the north end of the Great Salt Lake, before rejoining the modern I-80 corridor in eastern Nevada. The rails were joined at a place called Promontory Summit, where for a time there was a railroad town called Promontory. (Minor nitpick: Promontory Point is actually the name for the southern tip of the peninsula that splits the northern half of the Great Salt Lake, which was not on the original railroad.) Much of the original route has been scrapped because it was bypassed by the railroad causeway directly across the lake, which was completed in 1904. This means that today, there is indeed a railroad line through Promontory Point.

And to be more specific, the final segment of I-80 to be completed was the 4.5 mile segment between 5600 West and Redwood Rd, on the west side of Salt Lake City. I believe the pavement on that section today dates from 1986, and until last summer much of the original signage was still up.

Chris

I-10 had that gap at Downtown Phoenix, but I-17 was completed around Downtown in 1963-1965, meaning virtually no detour for through traffic. I wonder when it was first possible to drive from Los Angeles to Jacksonville via a more-or-less direct freeway route. Perhaps 1983, when the Fort Stockton bypass opened to traffic?

NE2

If I-84 (west) was complete before I-80, that would have provided a full transcontinental route.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 89

Quote from: NE2 on May 12, 2018, 11:49:59 PM
If I-84 (west) was complete before I-80, that would have provided a full transcontinental route.

The same would be true if I-15 was complete south of Salt Lake City before 1986, since it connects to Southern California. I don't know when 15 was completed in Utah or California, but the AZ and NV sections were finished in the 1970s.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Wow! I knew there must've been others, but I would've guessed I-40 as being a grandfather of transcontinental Interstates.

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

SSOWorld

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 13, 2018, 02:16:15 AM
Wow! I knew there must've been others, but I would've guessed I-40 as being a grandfather of transcontinental Interstates.

iPhone
Only if it continued further west.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kkt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.