News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIP Dick Butkus

Started by Big John, October 05, 2023, 06:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Bears HOF linebacker died today.

Henry

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38577860/dick-butkus-hall-fame-linebacker-chicago-bears-dies

Just one of a few men who would break your bones on the field, then send you well wishes off it. He was also my father's favorite player.

One factoid I find a bit interesting...

QuoteButkus only played for two winning teams with the Bears, however, and never made the playoffs. He came on during the end of the George Halas era, just missing the 1963 championship season. In his final season, the Bears went 3-11.

Despite this unfortunate finding, he became the genesis of the famed Monsters of the Midway defense that was eventually guided by the equally stern but lovable Mike Ditka, who coached them to a Super Bowl championship in 1986, during my sophomore year in high school.

RIP Dick Butkus
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jmacswimmer

Wow...I first heard the news as we were just getting to our seats at FedEx Field tonight (the Commanders then held a moment of silence just before the anthem), and it absolutely showed that the Bears were playing their hearts out for 51 tonight. The Bears's prospects the rest of the season aren't any different even with a win, but it was unreal (dare I even say historic) to be on hand for the Bears's first win in almost a year as well as their win in honor of Mr. Dick Butkus himself. RIP
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ET21

A legend on the football field and across Chicagoland  :-( :-(
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

cwf1701

Quote from: Henry on October 05, 2023, 10:18:03 PM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38577860/dick-butkus-hall-fame-linebacker-chicago-bears-dies

Just one of a few men who would break your bones on the field, then send you well wishes off it. He was also my father's favorite player.

One factoid I find a bit interesting...

RIP Dick Butkus

He was on the field when Chuck Hughes collapsed in a game at Tiger Stadium (in 1971, when the Detroit Lions played at Tiger Stadium). He was one of the first players to motion for help for Hughes, who later died.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.