News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 26, 2018, 01:52:38 PM
PennDOT also fudged a couple of numbers along I-95 in Delaware County so that no change to the existing interchange numbers was required for the southernmost 10 miles in PA.

Did they fudge the mileage or just the exit numbers? They discovered that by Bucks County, the mileage was about a mile off, which is why Exit 40 is now Exit 39.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Tonytone on October 26, 2018, 02:55:48 PM476 opened in 91?
Yes it did.  As a matter of fact, most of the major signage from just south of the I-76 to just north of the MacDade Blvd. interchanges are the original signs; with either the exit number on the tab replaced (Baltimore Pike to PA 3) or a new tab (US 30 & I-76).  Prior to it opening, I even biked on the then-unopened portion a few times.

Quote from: Tonytone on October 26, 2018, 02:55:48 PMWhy not just renumber the whole system in the U.S to even everything out.
Because the feds never fully mandated individual states to do such until relatively recent... and even such still has no definitive deadline.

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 26, 2018, 03:02:24 PM
PennDOT also fudged a couple of numbers along I-95 in Delaware County so that no change to the existing interchange numbers was required for the southernmost 10 miles in PA.

Did they fudge the mileage or just the exit numbers?
Just the exit numbers. 

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 26, 2018, 03:02:24 PMThey discovered that by Bucks County, the mileage was about a mile off, which is why Exit 40 is now Exit 39.
In some ways, that correction/adjustment worked out so that the I-276/295 interchange can be an nice even number (40).    The corresponding I-95/295 interchange number conversion in PA corrected another oversight.  The New Hope/Yardley interchange was Exit 51 despite the fact that the total I-95-PA mileage at the time was just over 50.  Such is now I-295's Exit 10.

Further north, the NJTA corrected some its interchange numbers along the Garden State Parkway (to better match its mileage markers) a few years ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 26, 2018, 03:53:26 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 26, 2018, 02:55:48 PM476 opened in 91?
Yes it did.  As a matter of fact, most of the major signage from just south of the I-76 to just north of the MacDade Blvd. interchanges are the original signs; with either the exit number on the tab replaced (Baltimore Pike to PA 3) or a new tab (US 30 & I-76).  Prior to it opening, I even biked on the then-unopened portion a few times.

Quote from: Tonytone on October 26, 2018, 02:55:48 PMWhy not just renumber the whole system in the U.S to even everything out.
Because the feds never fully mandated individual states to do such until relatively recent... and even such still has no definitive deadline.

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 26, 2018, 03:02:24 PM

Did they fudge the mileage or just the exit numbers?
Just the exit numbers. 

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 26, 2018, 03:02:24 PMThey discovered that by Bucks County, the mileage was about a mile off, which is why Exit 40 is now Exit 39.
In some ways, that correction/adjustment worked out so that the I-276/295 interchange can be an nice even number (40).    The corresponding I-95/295 interchange number conversion in PA corrected another oversight.  The New Hope/Yardley interchange was Exit 51 despite the fact that the total I-95-PA mileage at the time was just over 50.  Such is now I-295's Exit 10.

Further north, the NJTA corrected some its interchange numbers along the Garden State Parkway (to better match its mileage markers) a few years ago.

After the northern part of Route 55 opened, NJDOT renumbered a few (not all) exits on the existing part, changing them by one number.  Seemed very pointless to me, as many NJ exits are kinda off by 1 anyway.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 12:34:43 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 26, 2018, 10:48:47 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 08:55:26 AMExit 5 on I-495 would be Exit 10, Exit 3 on I-95 would be Exit 6, etc.
For grins & giggles; I did a couple of quick GSV mile marker observations.  You're not too far off in saying that I-95's & I-495's current numbers would double, in most instances, if converted.

Exit 5 off I-495 would be Exit 11.  MM 11.0 is located within the overall interchange footprint.

Exit 3 off I-95 would be Exit 7 due to the DE 273 overpass is located beyond MM 6.5.

Exit numbers can vary, and often are within the MP, not rounded. There's no actual MUTCD guidance on this from what I can tell, and also depends on their relative locations to each other. Using 295 in NJ as an example, Exits 34 (MP 34.8), Exit 36 (36.9) and Exit 40 (40.6) are examples of such.  When you get to Exit 43 (mp 43.1), it retains the MP reference.  I-195 in NJ has a mix, especially between Exits 1 and 5.  Once you get to the NJ Turnpike and continue east, they appear to remain within the milepost number itself.  Exits 21 and 22 are nearly 2 miles away from each other: Exit 21 is at MP 21.05; Exit 22 is at 22.95!
NJ uses the rule of rounding down. Some states will round either way.

Tonytone

It seems the I-95 flyover ramps are experiencing merge issues, coming from the 295 flyover ramp. I believe the only way to stop it is they will have to run a lane all the way to 295, like they should have, why would they have that lane end like that? Traffic count wasn't expecting to bloom?

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 28, 2018, 11:44:16 PM
It seems the I-95 flyover ramps are experiencing merge issues, coming from the 295 flyover ramp. I believe the only way to stop it is they will have to run a lane all the way to 295, like they should have, why would they have that lane end like that? Traffic count wasn't expecting to bloom?

iPhone

Where are you talking about?

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2018, 01:10:56 AM

iPhone

The fly over Ramps by the christiana mall. Are there other fly over ramps in de?

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 29, 2018, 01:13:33 AM

iPhone

The fly over Ramps by the christiana mall. Are there other fly over ramps in de?

iPhone

You said the 295 flyover ramps...which doesn't match up with what you appeared to be talking about. If you're referring to how Rt. 1 North's right sided ramp merges onto 95 North without maintaining its lane all the way to 295, that's due to Delaware's decision to have the Rt. 1 North to 95 North left sided ramp having that function.  Delaware has consistently given 95 and 495 the priority, even though the 95 to 295 movement congests often.  The 141 project will at least allow a 3rd lane to be constructed in the future at the 295 diverge.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2018, 01:23:02 AM

iPhone

iPhone

You said the 295 flyover ramps...which doesn't match up with what you appeared to be talking about. If you're referring to how Rt. 1 North's right sided ramp merges onto 95 North without maintaining its lane all the way to 295, that's due to Delaware's decision to have the Rt. 1 North to 95 North left sided ramp having that function.  Delaware has consistently given 95 and 495 the priority, even though the 95 to 295 movement congests often.  The 141 project will at least allow a 3rd lane to be constructed in the future at the 295 diverge.
You're right. Word mixup on my end.

Yea im surprised they haven't realized that 295 pushes a lot of traffic thru that stretch right there. 295 deserves 3 lanes. Maybe deldot is gonna add that 6th lane, when they make 95 12 lanes.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 29, 2018, 01:26:42 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2018, 01:23:02 AM

iPhone

iPhone

You're right. Word mixup on my end.

Yea im surprised they haven't realized that 295 pushes a lot of traffic thru that stretch right there. 295 deserves 3 lanes. Maybe deldot is gonna add that 6th lane, when they make 95 12 lanes.

iPhone

When they widened 95 to 10 lanes total, they used retaining walls on either side of the roadbed to maintain the same footprint while adding 2 additional lanes. In order to go to 12 lanes, they'll need to encroach on wetlands, which is a multi-year attempt just to get fed approval. Don't expect it to happen for many, many years.

froggie

^ Part of that fed approval would require additional right-of-way for wetland mitigation, which will also add cost.

MASTERNC

What they really should have done was build a flyover from SB I-295 to the right side of I-95 so traffic heading to DE 1 doesn't have to cross all those lanes.  I feel that is a major cause of congestion in that direction.

Tonytone

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 29, 2018, 09:06:13 PM
What they really should have done was build a flyover from SB I-295 to the right side of I-95 so traffic heading to DE 1 doesn't have to cross all those lanes.  I feel that is a major cause of congestion in that direction.
Thats kinda tough, with that 141 ramp right there. But they should have definitely made two options available. Like DE 1 Has.

iPhone

Alps

The single biggest cause that I can identify is I-295 narrowing to two lanes. The problem is that on weekdays, you want more lanes for 95/495, but on weekends you want more for 295. There are definitely ways to accommodate that without adding more overall lanes, but that requires active management.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on October 30, 2018, 12:05:50 AM
The single biggest cause that I can identify is I-295 narrowing to two lanes. The problem is that on weekdays, you want more lanes for 95/495, but on weekends you want more for 295. There are definitely ways to accommodate that without adding more overall lanes, but that requires active management.

I noticed that problem when I first drove the route in the 1970s.  The river bridge has 4 lanes each way, NJ I-295 and the NJ Turnpike feed the bridge and each has 2 lanes each way, but a portion of I-295 in Delaware becomes much narrower than 4 lanes directional.  It was a design lack 40 years ago and it has gotten worse.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 29, 2018, 09:14:40 PM
Thats kinda tough, with that 141 ramp right there. But they should have definitely made two options available. Like DE 1 Has.
Well there are signs that still point traffic heading towards Dover (DE-1) to use US-13 South upon crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  Not that US-13 is really an ideal route there due to the heavy traffic, but that would be my preferred route back to Dover if I was coming from New Jersey.

Checking Google Maps does suggest that route actually, but my work computer won't let me access any of the screenshot sharing sites I normally use.  Here's a link, hopefully it shows.

Also does the same thing if I go to a beach.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alps

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 30, 2018, 08:44:50 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 29, 2018, 09:14:40 PM
Well there are signs that still point traffic heading towards Dover (DE-1) to use US-13 South upon crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  Not that US-13 is really an ideal route there due to the heavy traffic, but that would be my preferred route back to Dover if I was coming from New Jersey.

Checking Google Maps does suggest that route actually, but my work computer won't let me access any of the screenshot sharing sites I normally use.  Here's a link, hopefully it shows.

Also does the same thing if I go to a beach.
Depends when you're looking. If 95 is congested maps will recommend 13. But 95 free-flow is faster.

Tonytone

I think most peoples GPS' are set to the shortest route rather then fastest, But people who live in the area will know what days/times that 95/13 are most congested. & Deldot put VMS on some roads like 273 that say "Traffic Slowed on 95 Seek Alt route" , (Via sensors on 95 mainland) so that helps. But if you're driving you miss that sign sometimes & end up in the traffic anyway

iPhone

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Tonytone

Quote from: ixnay on October 30, 2018, 07:25:14 PM
Recent articles from the Delaware State News about road projects in LSD...

https://delawarestatenews.net/news/deldot-update-on-millsboro-projects-draws-questions/

https://delawarestatenews.net/news/key-deldot-projects-updated/

ixnay
Wow. The nimbys really try to tear them down. If they dont want a DE-1 down there. Then whats the problem with building something in between. They are asking for in-between & that seems to be it. Do they want rural land or urban land? Its 2018 the world is getting bigger. Those little streets down there are gonna get more & more traffic as the sprawl moves south.

iPhone

Tonytone

Quote from: Beltway on October 30, 2018, 06:25:53 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 30, 2018, 12:05:50 AM

I noticed that problem when I first drove the route in the 1970s.  The river bridge has 4 lanes each way, NJ I-295 and the NJ Turnpike feed the bridge and each has 2 lanes each way, but a portion of I-295 in Delaware becomes much narrower than 4 lanes directional.  It was a design lack 40 years ago and it has gotten worse.
Beltway you drove Delaware  95 when it first opened? What did the state trooper station in the middle of U.S 13/40 spilt look like? (If you drove that part)

iPhone

Beltway

Quote from: Tonytone on October 30, 2018, 11:16:09 PM
Quote from: Beltway on October 30, 2018, 06:25:53 AM
Beltway you drove Delaware  95 when it first opened? What did the state trooper station in the middle of U.S 13/40 spilt look like? (If you drove that part)

Delaware I-95 was all open by 1968.  I first drove it in 1972.  I do vaguely recall the state trooper station, but no details.  The DE Turnpike was opened in 1963, and had been 6-laned by 1972.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ixnay

Quote from: Beltway on October 31, 2018, 12:20:00 AMI do vaguely recall the state trooper station [at 13 and 40], but no details.

Here's a detail of that location I remember greatly from my childhood and adolescence trips to the DE beaches: the billboard in the median of 13/40, depicting the Grim Reaper (Happy Halloween!) posing next to two tombstones.  The first tombstone showed the tally of Delaware highway deaths so far in the current year.  The other showed the tally of same for the corresponding period the previous year.  That billboard was removed when lanes were added to 13/40.

The smokey house was next door to Clemente's restaurant which was also a busy Greyhound/Trailways bus stop.  It closed about 25 years ago and the building eventually became this...

https://tinyurl.com/yaqne53a

The DSP moved that district's barracks to a new facility on U.S. 40 halfway between DE's 896 and 72 a few years ago.  The old barracks at 13 and 40 is now the Colonial School District Technology Center.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Tonytone

Quote from: ixnay on October 31, 2018, 06:14:21 AM
Quote from: Beltway on October 31, 2018, 12:20:00 AMI do vaguely recall the state trooper station [at 13 and 40], but no details.

Here's a detail of that location I remember greatly from my childhood and adolescence trips to the DE beaches: the billboard in the median of 13/40, depicting the Grim Reaper (Happy Halloween!) posing next to two tombstones.  The first tombstone showed the tally of Delaware highway deaths so far in the current year.  The other showed the tally of same for the corresponding period the previous year.  That billboard was removed when lanes were added to 13/40.

The smokey house was next door to Clemente's restaurant which was also a busy Greyhound/Trailways bus stop.  It closed about 25 years ago and the building eventually became this...

https://tinyurl.com/yaqne53a

The DSP moved that district's barracks to a new facility on U.S. 40 halfway between DE's 896 and 72 a few years ago.  The old barracks at 13 and 40 is now the Colonial School District Technology Center.

ixnay
Oh shit!!!!! A greyhound station was right there & the Colonial technology center was the DSP. Why change that area so much? Looks like that corridor could have became more then what it is today, even though they are fixing 13 up now & getting rid of the bullshit stores. Was that exxon always there? & did the road ever go over the tracks across from wilton/walmart

iPhone

davewiecking

Reports that a chunk of concrete fell from the Naamans Road bridge onto a vehicle traveling on I-95 caused state bridge inspectors to close the interstate and check the span Wednesday morning, the Delaware Department of Transportation said.

All lanes reopened by the early afternoon after DelDOT said inspectors found no significant deterioration to the bridge, which spans I-95 and I-495 interchange.

DelDOT's initial public announcement about the work had said that only I-95 northbound would completely close. Yet, shortly after 11 a.m., state engineers could be seen on traffic cameras peering upwards at the Naamans Road span from a closed I-495 expressway.
More at: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/traffic/2018/10/31/report-falling-concrete-closed-95-lanes/1831468002/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.