News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Trans-Labrador Highway now entirely paved

Started by Chris, July 07, 2022, 01:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Trans-Labrador Highway Paving Completed Marking Historic Day in the Big Land

A significant accomplishment in transportation infrastructure in Newfoundland and Labrador will be achieved today (July 5) as paving of the Trans-Labrador Highway is completed. The completion allows residents, tourists, and commercial traffic to travel on more than 1,100 kilometres of paved highway between the Labrador Straits and Labrador West.

A multi-year contract was awarded in May 2020 to JCL Investments Ltd. to complete paving of the highway. Paving on the final section, between Cartwright Junction and Happy Valley-Goose Bay, began in June 2022. Work will continue in the area this month as the contractor completes shouldering work on the highway.

The upgrading of the original highway began in 1997 in three phases, and included upgrades between Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Labrador West, construction of a two-lane all-season gravel road between Red Bay and Cartwright Junction, and a new two-lane, all-season gravel road between Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Cartwright Junction.

Nearly $1 billion has been invested to build and pave the highway since 1997, including more than $230 million since 2016.

Construction work since 2016 focused on numerous areas, including upgrades and paving of the gravel road between Red Bay and Happy Valley-Goose Bay and upgrades and repaving between the Quebec border and Red Bay.

The Provincial Government remains committed to advancing transportation infrastructure improvements in Labrador with a terms of reference on a pre-feasibility study on a road to Northern Labrador, with input from community and Indigenous leaders, being finalized. The request for proposals for the study, which will be cost-shared between the Provincial and Federal Governments, is anticipated to be released this summer.

A more formal celebration will be planned later in the summer to mark completion of the paving of the Trans-Labrador Highway.

Full press release: https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2022/ti/0705n01/

JayhawkCO

Huh. I somehow had no idea they were even trying to pave the whole thing. Someday I want to drive that and then take a ferry up to Nain and fly into Torngat National Park. It looks pretty stunning up there.

J N Winkler

In a few years, it will be possible to reach the Trans-Labrador Highway from the rest of the continuous paved North American highway network, since Québec earlier this year advertised a contract to pave the 60 km of R-389 south of Fermont (near the Labrador border) that is still gravel.

With daytime highs around 100° F and dewpoints around 70° F here, July in Goose Bay (highs barely in the sixties) is sounding really nice.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 07, 2022, 03:12:21 PM
In a few years, it will be possible to reach the Trans-Labrador Highway from the rest of the continuous paved North American highway network, since Québec earlier this year advertised a contract to pave the 60 km of R-389 south of Fermont (near the Labrador border) that is still gravel.

With daytime highs around 100° F and dewpoints around 70° F here, July in Goose Bay (highs barely in the sixties) is sounding really nice.
Here I was gonna drive the whole thing this year or next... now thinking I shall wait.

US 41

This trip is on my bucket list too. Definitely waiting until Quebec paves their section before I do it. Might do it right after I go to Alaska. We shall see.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Alps

What are the odds QC 389 to NL 500-510 would be drivable in April? Say... eclipse weekend?

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Alps on November 08, 2023, 08:41:15 AM
What are the odds QC 389 to NL 500-510 would be drivable in April? Say... eclipse weekend?
You should come pick me up at that point.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Alps

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 08, 2023, 08:47:24 AM
but only if the roads aren't ensnowed.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Alps on November 08, 2023, 06:50:25 PM
By late April? There's a high possibility that snow has melted, even further north.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

oscar

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 08, 2023, 07:22:48 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 08, 2023, 06:50:25 PM
By late April? There's a high possibility that snow has melted, even further north.

I visited further north, in Hopedale NL, in early June 2013. Plenty of snow on the ground, and light snow was still falling.

Hopedale is not on the TLH, but it's about two degrees of latitude north of the northernmost parts of the TLH. Also, Hopedale is on the ocean, which moderates its temperatures. Most of the TLH is well inland.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

I don't mind if it's snowed, but I am concerned if the roads are maintained enough for me to drive them in a car. Would I need to rent a 4x4?

Richard3

Quote from: Alps on November 09, 2023, 10:18:12 PM
I don't mind if it's snowed, but I am concerned if the roads are maintained enough for me to drive them in a car. Would I need to rent a 4x4?

The big route 389 rebuilding project is going on - some parts of the road are brand new, and looks great, but the section between Fire Lake and Mont Wright is still on gravel, and very swampy on spring. Works on that section are scheduled to begin in 2024. The section between Manic-5 dam and Relais-Gabriel is still on gravel, but is normally in better condition than the Fire Lake-Mont Wright section.

I also want to see the road prior to die.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.