News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Strange habits you have

Started by golden eagle, February 10, 2015, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2021, 06:38:13 PM
Uh... no. It's just a bowl of cereal. If you call it a bowl of cereal (and sometimes even if you don't), then it's automatically assumed that you're having milk with it.

You know the old saying about when you assume.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 21, 2021, 07:12:27 PM
I don't particularly enjoy eating "breakfast"  foods, so my breakfast often consists of sandwiches, pizza, tacos, burgers, or pasta

Yeah, that is strange. I'm the opposite, I love almost all breakfast foods. A good home-cooked breakfast is one of the best meals you can get.

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2021, 08:14:36 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2021, 06:38:13 PM
Uh... no. It's just a bowl of cereal. If you call it a bowl of cereal (and sometimes even if you don't), then it's automatically assumed that you're having milk with it.

You know the old saying about when you assume.

I do... but in this case, what other assumption could possibly be made? Surely if you were going to eat cereal dry (without milk), you wouldn't pour it into a bowl and eat it with a spoon. And surely if you were going to eat it with something other than milk, well, what would that possibly be? The first things that even come to mind are various milk substitutes like almond and soy milk.

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on February 21, 2021, 03:06:06 PM
I only enjoy cereal without milk.

On my Facebook page a few days ago, I asked if I'm the only person who eats Cheerios straight from a box like a snack. I was surprised at the number of people who do the same.

I don't like sugary cereals. I'll eat corn flakes, crisped rice, and the like only with milk. However, i will eat sugar puffs (or whatever they happen to be called) dry.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2021, 08:51:12 PM
.... Surely if you were going to eat cereal dry (without milk), you wouldn't pour it into a bowl and eat it with a spoon. ....

That's what I do, although I don't eat cereal very often anyway.

wanderer2575

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2021, 03:08:04 PM
Quote from: formulanone on February 21, 2021, 03:06:06 PM
I only enjoy cereal without milk.

I don't mind some milk, but too much is no good. Cereal is best when enjoyed crunchy.

kenarmy

I wipe my hands on shower curtains if there isn't any towels. Using tissue is gross.
Idk if this is strange, but when I take my contacts out I throw them on the floor.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2021, 09:20:41 PM
.... Surely if you were going to eat cereal dry (without milk), you wouldn't pour it into a bowl and eat it with a spoon. ....

Yipes. Maybe we should poll this issue. I had no idea that was a thing.

kenarmy

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2021, 11:09:35 PM

Gross. That's like eating chips or popcorn with a spoon.

formulanone

1995hoo

Quote from: kenarmy on February 21, 2021, 11:52:21 PM

What do you expect someone to do? I'm not going to use my hands to scoop it up, especially if it's a sugary cereal like Frosted Flakes.

zachary_amaryllis

I do... but in this case, what other assumption could possibly be made? Surely if you were going to eat cereal dry (without milk), you wouldn't pour it into a bowl and eat it with a spoon. And surely if you were going to eat it with something other than milk, well, what would that possibly be? The first things that even come to mind are various milk substitutes like almond and soy milk.

cheerios are good with a well-sugared-and-creamed cup of coffee in them.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kenarmy

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 22, 2021, 07:50:21 AM

What do you expect someone to do? I'm not going to use my hands to scoop it up, especially if it's a sugary cereal like Frosted Flakes.

Well idk then, pour it in your mouth or something  :-D

formulanone

Travel mugs of cereal work for me, especially if driving involves getting up early.

achilles765

Gosh. I have Asperger's so I have a few. In a car, I like read out the highway signs. I also have to sleep in total darkness with the door closed. My husband though has to have a small light on and the door open. So I sleep in the guest room/ my man cave  with the dog most nights.
When I Play a video game I have a tic where I randomly hit pause
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

kphoger

Cereal is best when enjoyed crunchy.

I prefer my cereal to be fairly soggy.  The first thing I do when I sit down is to submerge all the cereal as well as I can, working in segments of the bowl if necessary.

Quote from: jakeroot on February 21, 2021, 05:21:58 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who gets dairy from other sources. Milk is something I rarely purchase, much less consume directly.

We go through 2.5 gallons of milk a week in our house, but that's because we have three children and a home daycare.  The only milk I consume is (a) on my daily morning bowl of granola and (b) in my Sunday morning tea.  Now, cheese, on the other hand...  Well, cheese is my absolute favorite vegetable.

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 21, 2021, 06:34:11 PM
Related question: Is cereal with milk soup?

Imagine if you'd never seen a bowl of cereal before.  Then someone hands you a bowl first thing in the morning.  What kind of crazy soup is this! you'd think to yourself.  You'd think the host was insane, trying to feed that to you for breakfast.

Quote from: kenarmy on February 22, 2021, 08:25:55 AM

My eldest son eats dry cereal in the morning–well, he used to before he switched to hot instant oatmeal recently.  Anyway, he gets a paper towel, puts it on the table, and pours a huge mound of dry cereal on it.  It's common for pieces to fall of the mound, land on the chair, land on the floor...  Believe me, I wish he'd just use a bowl.  Not a spoon, just a bowl.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

Lactose tolerance is a strange habit, according to most of the world's population. Milk is good as an ingredient, but not by itself.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2021, 03:19:06 PM

My eldest son eats dry cereal in the morning–well, he used to before he switched to hot instant oatmeal recently.  Anyway, he gets a paper towel, puts it on the table, and pours a huge mound of dry cereal on it.  It's common for pieces to fall of the mound, land on the chair, land on the floor...  Believe me, I wish he'd just use a bowl.  Not a spoon, just a bowl.

How old is he?

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kenarmy

I do this as well even though I know it's probably smarter to get a bowl haha. It's just something about paper towels that I can't get out of a bowl.

OracleUsr

Cereal is best when enjoyed crunchy.

I prefer my cereal to be fairly soggy.  The first thing I do when I sit down is to submerge all the cereal as well as I can, working in segments of the bowl if necessary.

Quote from: jakeroot on February 21, 2021, 05:21:58 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who gets dairy from other sources. Milk is something I rarely purchase, much less consume directly.

We go through 2.5 gallons of milk a week in our house, but that's because we have three children and a home daycare.  The only milk I consume is (a) on my daily morning bowl of granola and (b) in my Sunday morning tea.  Now, cheese, on the other hand...  Well, cheese is my absolute favorite vegetable.

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 21, 2021, 06:34:11 PM
Related question: Is cereal with milk soup?

Imagine if you'd never seen a bowl of cereal before.  Then someone hands you a bowl first thing in the morning.  What kind of crazy soup is this! you'd think to yourself.  You'd think the host was insane, trying to feed that to you for breakfast.

Quote from: kenarmy on February 22, 2021, 08:25:55 AM

We did something similar at an afterschool daycare program, for an afternoon snack, in the 70's.  Loved the Froot Loops, not wild about others.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

GaryV

Quote from: kenarmy on February 22, 2021, 08:08:45 PM
It's just something about paper towels that I can't get out of a bowl.
Cellulose?

kphoger

Quote from: OracleUsr on February 22, 2021, 11:58:35 PM
We did something similar at an afterschool daycare program, for an afternoon snack, in the 70's.  Loved the Froot Loops, not wild about others.

You just quoted four different comments of mine at once, without removing any of them before posting.  Which thing did you do at daycare?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 23, 2021, 11:46:25 AM
Quote from: OracleUsr on February 22, 2021, 11:58:35 PM
We did something similar at an afterschool daycare program, for an afternoon snack ...

You just quoted four different comments of mine at once, without removing any of them before posting.  ...

If you're on a mobile device, it can be very annoying to trim the quotes.

Personally, though, I like to trim as much as possible, so if it looks like the trimming could get messy and/or complicated and/or time consuming, I'll just wait until I have a chance to reply from the computer.

jakeroot

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 21, 2021, 07:12:27 PM
I don't particularly enjoy eating "breakfast"  foods, so my breakfast often consists of sandwiches, pizza, tacos, burgers, or pasta (not always last night's leftovers; often things I made or bought fresh that morning). Used to have meat and potatoes in a crock pot for breakfast when I was in high school. I should start doing that again.

Taco Bell starts lunch at 9 and I think Sonic does it all day, so those are often my morning go-tos on the road.

So do you eat two lunches, or an early lunch and then dinner?

Scott5114

I generally eat cereal with milk, but sometimes I will munch on it straight out of the box, as H.B. mentions above, while watching TV. It's not that much weirder than snacking on potato chips.

I like milk enough to drink it straight and go through roughly 2 gallons a week.

I got in the habit of disliking breakfast foods whenever I worked graveyard shift. Nobody wants to get off a nine-hour shift and eat breakfast foods, but that's pretty much the only thing most restaurants had. Sonic, Whataburger, and Jack in the Box were the holy trifecta, because all three offered lunch items during breakfast hours.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.