I-95 Delaware River Scudder Falls bridge replacement (toll?)

Started by mightyace, December 22, 2009, 08:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on September 30, 2021, 12:05:05 AM
Are these all DRJTBC installs? I like the look of the Rt 29 signs all around. Nice proper black on white No Trucks Over 13 Tons banner, and an even more proper black on yellow "Last Exit Before Toll" banner too.

I believe so. Here's the old signs for comparison... the one thing I wish they had done was replace the "Welcome to New Jersey" and pull-through signs going northbound (well, southbound now).

storm2k

The Welcome to NJ sign is an NJDOT thing, not DRJTBC, so if that was a commission install, I'm not surprised they didn't put a new one up. Here's to hoping NJDOT puts a new one up once it's back on their jurisdiction. I love the postcard format of the sign and it's very fitting for this state.

akotchi

Quote from: roadman65 on September 30, 2021, 12:46:59 AM
As I figured, Exit 76 for Route29 is the highest exit number for interstates in NJ. I-80 goes to Exit 68. I-78! Goes to Exit 58. I-95;is Exit 73. So I-295 has the highest interstate exit number now.
Don't forget I-76, Exit 354 . . .

All kidding aside, there is actually an Exit 74 on I-95 SB as it leaves the GW Bridge.  Coming off the Upper Level, it goes to the Palisades Parkway.

Does not change your conclusion . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on September 30, 2021, 11:27:58 AM
The Welcome to NJ sign is an NJDOT thing, not DRJTBC, so if that was a commission install, I'm not surprised they didn't put a new one up. Here's to hoping NJDOT puts a new one up once it's back on their jurisdiction. I love the postcard format of the sign and it's very fitting for this state.

Yeah, I know. Its why you don't see one until Exit 2 on I-295 northbound (before then is DRBA jurisdiction).

Alps

I'm surprised to see such nice signs come from DRJTBC, but I'm not complaining :) Kudos to their sign engineer.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on September 30, 2021, 10:40:36 PM
I'm surprised to see such nice signs come from DRJTBC, but I'm not complaining :) Kudos to their sign engineer.

One goof I noticed... on the PA side, new signs directing traffic to PA 532 use NJ 532 shields instead.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: famartin on September 30, 2021, 11:59:23 AM
Quote from: storm2k on September 30, 2021, 11:27:58 AM

Yeah, I know. Its why you don't see one until Exit 2 on I-295 northbound (before then is DRBA jurisdiction).

Just to throw in a counterexample: I-78 has the NJDOT-spec welcome sign immediately after the I-78 Toll Bridge, yet (if I'm not mistaken) the DRJTBC jurisdiction extends all the way to exit 3?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NJRoadfan

In many cases NJDOT installs signs in DRJTBC jurisdiction. You'll see their mile markers and municipal boundary signs for example. Prior to the Scudder Falls Bridge reconstruction, one of the advance signs for NJ exits going north were provided by NJDOT even on the PA side of the bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/xgVrpsLk5LquMmaF9

The Exit 1 sign is PennDOT and the Exit 2 sign is NJDOT.

famartin

https://www.drjtbc.org/2021/11/severe-traffic-warning-37-hour-long-single-lane-restriction-scheduled-to-begin-tonight-on-i-295-north-in-nj-and-scudder-falls-toll-bridge-pennsylvania-bound/

NOVEMBER 9, 2021 / NEWS RELEASE
SEVERE TRAFFIC WARNING: 37-Hour-Long Single-Lane Restriction Scheduled to Begin Tonight On I-295 North in NJ and Scudder Falls Toll Bridge Pennsylvania-Bound
Commuters Traveling from New Jersey to Pennsylvania Should Expect Severe Backups, Delays during Wednesday Evening Peak Hours
EWING, N.J. — The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission is warning evening peak commuters to anticipate severe backups and delays approaching the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge on I-295 northbound from the New Jersey side for travel into Pennsylvania 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. TOMORROW, Wednesday, Nov. 10.

I-295 NB (PA-bound) will be reduced to a single lane (one travel lane instead of three lanes) for a roughly 37-hour-long uninterrupted "high-intensity construction cycle"  (HICC) starting 7 p.m. TODAY and continuing until approximately 8 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 11.

The single-lane travel pattern will begin a short distance after the CR-579/Bear Tavern Road interchange (Exit 75) in Ewing and continue across the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge's upstream span into Pennsylvania, ending in the vicinity of the Dolington Road overpass in Lower Makefield, PA.

While the single-lane pattern may cause some delays and backups at any time, the most severe congestion is expected to occur during Wednesday evening's peak commuting times – 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. During these times, traffic queuing of a two miles or more is likely with corresponding travel delays of an hour or more.

Due to these possible conditions, the Commission is urging affected Pennsylvania-bound commuters on I-295 NB in Mercer County to postpone their travel or use the Trenton-Morrisville (Route 1) Toll Bridge as a travel alternative during Wednesday evening's peak driving period.

The rare around-the-clock single-lane travel pattern is needed so work crews can apply the final asphalt surface to the left and center lanes of I-295 northbound on the bridge's New Jersey side and I-295 westbound on the bride's Pennsylvania side.  Diamond grinding of the upstream bridge's polyester-polymer concrete surface also will take place during the continuous closure period.

The work is among a series of intensified construction activities now taking place so the 4-1/2-year-long Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project can reach substantial completion in the middle of next month.

More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on November 09, 2021, 09:07:09 PM
https://www.drjtbc.org/2021/11/severe-traffic-warning-37-hour-long-single-lane-restriction-scheduled-to-begin-tonight-on-i-295-north-in-nj-and-scudder-falls-toll-bridge-pennsylvania-bound/

NOVEMBER 9, 2021 / NEWS RELEASE
SEVERE TRAFFIC WARNING: 37-Hour-Long Single-Lane Restriction Scheduled to Begin Tonight On I-295 North in NJ and Scudder Falls Toll Bridge Pennsylvania-Bound
Commuters Traveling from New Jersey to Pennsylvania Should Expect Severe Backups, Delays during Wednesday Evening Peak Hours
EWING, N.J. — The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission is warning evening peak commuters to anticipate severe backups and delays approaching the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge on I-295 northbound from the New Jersey side for travel into Pennsylvania 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. TOMORROW, Wednesday, Nov. 10.

I-295 NB (PA-bound) will be reduced to a single lane (one travel lane instead of three lanes) for a roughly 37-hour-long uninterrupted "high-intensity construction cycle"  (HICC) starting 7 p.m. TODAY and continuing until approximately 8 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 11.

The single-lane travel pattern will begin a short distance after the CR-579/Bear Tavern Road interchange (Exit 75) in Ewing and continue across the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge's upstream span into Pennsylvania, ending in the vicinity of the Dolington Road overpass in Lower Makefield, PA.

While the single-lane pattern may cause some delays and backups at any time, the most severe congestion is expected to occur during Wednesday evening's peak commuting times – 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. During these times, traffic queuing of a two miles or more is likely with corresponding travel delays of an hour or more.

Due to these possible conditions, the Commission is urging affected Pennsylvania-bound commuters on I-295 NB in Mercer County to postpone their travel or use the Trenton-Morrisville (Route 1) Toll Bridge as a travel alternative during Wednesday evening's peak driving period.

The rare around-the-clock single-lane travel pattern is needed so work crews can apply the final asphalt surface to the left and center lanes of I-295 northbound on the bridge's New Jersey side and I-295 westbound on the bride's Pennsylvania side.  Diamond grinding of the upstream bridge's polyester-polymer concrete surface also will take place during the continuous closure period.

The work is among a series of intensified construction activities now taking place so the 4-1/2-year-long Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project can reach substantial completion in the middle of next month.

More information on the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement Project is available at www.scudderfallsbridge.com.

Wow...what starving journalist did they hire for their PR department?

Besides...2pm to 8pm the next day is 38 hours, not 37.

Alps

Why are they doing this midweek instead of the usual weekend HICC?

Mr. Matté

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 09, 2021, 09:29:57 PM

It's probably Bob Barker ("Once we close a lane, it can't be reopened for another 37 hours. Now if the sign appears in the dark pavement strip between the front and back of the barrier truck, you win.")

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 10, 2021, 08:16:06 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 09, 2021, 09:29:57 PM

It's probably Bob Barker ("Once we close a lane, it can't be reopened for another 37 hours. Now if the sign appears in the dark pavement strip between the front and back of the barrier truck, you win.")

That Safecracker game was a fairly tough game to win!

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on November 10, 2021, 12:22:07 AM

Maybe because it is warm this week and they want this completed desperately.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MASTERNC

That is probably the main reason, though I wonder why they didn't wait until Veterans Day, when government offices are closed.

famartin

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 10, 2021, 01:22:27 PM

That is probably the main reason, though I wonder why they didn't wait until Veterans Day, when government offices are closed.
Supposed to rain Friday, maybe they were trying to wrap up well ahead of it.

famartin

Went over the bridge early this morning. Mostly done now, including a new "south 295/Princeton"  pull thru and welcome to nj sign.

famartin

Another interesting anomaly... heading into PA from NJ, the speed limit drop from 65 to 55 is now mid span, at the state line...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on January 18, 2022, 11:46:12 PM
Another interesting anomaly... heading into PA from NJ, the speed limit drop from 65 to 55 is now mid span, at the state line...

Nice. Come on PA....you can do it...even if it's just for a few miles...

roadman65

I see we got this overhead assembly now it's completed.
https://goo.gl/maps/bDGZ8NSwxKP1v9Mv9

I actually think it's cool.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

famartin

Am I the only one who is mildly annoyed that the DRJTBC misnamed the bridge slightly? (its ScudderS Falls, not Scudder Falls)

odditude

Quote from: famartin on May 02, 2023, 09:40:21 PM
Am I the only one who is mildly annoyed that the DRJTBC misnamed the bridge slightly? (its ScudderS Falls, not Scudder Falls)

per wikipedia, it was done intentionally to make pronunciation easier - and dropping that 's' definitely makes it roll off the tongue more smoothly.

given the local tendency to both drop consonants and substitute glottal stops for Ts, i'd say it fits - compare vs common casual pronunciations for Bordentown (BOR'entown), Burlington (BURL'en'on), Mt Holly (mou'HOLly or maHOLly), Mt Laurel (mou'LAUrel), Trenton (TREN'on)...

Mr. Matté

With the exception of "Tren-in," I have never heard those pronunciations used for those places.

Stephane Dumas

Sorry for raining in your parade but now then I-95 use NJ Tpk and part of PA Tpk with the new interchange near Bensalem, maybe we should rename it the I-295 (or historic I-95) Delaware River Schudder falls bridge replacement? ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.