News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95 Delaware River Scudder Falls bridge replacement (toll?)

Started by mightyace, December 22, 2009, 08:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on June 28, 2019, 09:50:43 PM
^^^ To the comment above regarding the inadequacy of only trailblazer signing on the interchange crossroads ... when the section was still I-95, there were small guide signs with destinations.  For whatever reason, most were removed when the resigning work was performed.  Some said New York and Camden, but they should at least have been replaced.  The one piece of guidance that would be mostly unchanged was removed ... shaking my head over that ...
With regards to ramp signage & the current designations/cardinals; it would be best to include a Princeton-Bordentown or Princeton-Camden panel for the I-295 South ramps through Federal City Road/Exit 71A-B interchange for the earlier-stated reasons.

For the I-295 northbound ramps from NJ 31/Exit 72 to Bear Tavern Road/Exit 75; such either should mimic the BGS ramp sign legends at other interchanges (US 1 & US 206) with the inclusion of the TO SOUTH 95 legend OR simply list Yardley, PA, which does not need a supplemental TO SOUTH 95 trailblazer assembly.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

It was an oddity that NJDOT had them there in the first place as Interstate freeway ramps very rarely used guide signs hence I-287 has plenty and I-280 is another one.

Yes, New York needed to be removed for SB I-295 but Bordentown and Camden should have been used and Philadelphia should be used on all signs north of US 1 for NB direction.

I do like Princeton for north of I-195 though, despite many stated here before dislike for that destination, but then again they are the same  users most likely that think Baltimore should be the NJ Turnpike SB destination after Camden instead of Wilmington which is now being used there. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

NJ isn't that great for signing ramps leading into the highway...If they sign them at all!  Long time missing signage here gives no notification that by continuing straight, you are heading onto I-295 North here. https://goo.gl/maps/wn1ox4ZWJVGwY3WHA  Back up a little and at least there's a sign stating to turn left to (eventually) get to I-295 South.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 02, 2019, 11:05:26 AM
NJ isn't that great for signing ramps leading into the highway...If they sign them at all!  Long time missing signage here gives no notification that by continuing straight, you are heading onto I-295 North here. https://goo.gl/maps/wn1ox4ZWJVGwY3WHA  Back up a little and at least there's a sign stating to turn left to (eventually) get to I-295 South.
Unless that left turn/keep left sign along Grove Rd. (CR 643) was recently replaced; the one shown in the July 2018 GSV erroneously lists NORTH 295-130 TRENTON KEEP LEFT.  While one could argue that one needs to stay in the left lane to either go straight or left due to the right lane being for right turns only; that particular sign should either have an upright arrow or list STRAIGHT AHEAD en lieu of the KEEP LEFT message.

Interestingly, there advance signage along Friars Blvd. in both directions for that I-295/US 130 northbound entrance ramp.

BTW, that ramp to I-295/US 130 North from the CR 643/Friars Blvd./Grove Road was constructed circa 2000-2001 (based on looking through Historic Aerials).  So that fore-mentioned sign was correct... for 1998-1999 when Friars Blvd. was first built.

Back to the actual topic at hand:

Some transitional changes are coming next week with regards to the bridge(s).

Route 295 Drivers Get Ready For a Traffic Horror Show

Bold emphasis added in below-quote/excerpt:
Quote from: NJ 101.5 articleStarting at 6 a.m. on Monday, July 8, and continuing until about 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 11, Pennsylvania-bound traffic on the highway will be reduced from 3 lanes to 1, starting in the vicinity of the County Route 579-Bear Tavern Road interchange, at exit 75.

During that time, crews will construct a new section of the highway, steering all lanes over toward the new Scudder Falls Bridge entrance.

Joe Donnelly, the deputy executive director of communications for the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commissio, said we know from prior emergency situations "that when there's a single-lane pattern it's possible that traffic could back up as far as Route 1. We're trying to get the word out for people to avoid this segment."

He said the worst congestion is expected between 2 and 8 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so "we're urging motorists to use the Trenton-Morrisville Route 1 toll Bridge as a travel alternative."

He said while congestion is expected to be severe, one mitigating factor is "this is occurring during the time of year when there's a large number of vacations, so there's fewer commuters, and school is out."

When the new Scudder Falls Bridge does open on July 10, after two years of construction, it will initially carry two lanes of Pennsylvania-bound traffic, while New Jersey-bound traffic will continue to cross the Delaware River on the old Scudder Falls Bridge.

The two bridges will remain in service in this configuration for two weeks, and then on July 24 New Jersey-bound traffic will be shifted onto the new Scudder Falls Bridge, with a concrete divider separating the opposing directions of traffic.

The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission will begin collecting tolls for Pennsylvania-bound vehicles beginning in the early morning hours of July 14.

The DRJTBC's website still lists that the PA-bound tolls will start on July 10.  Either NJ 101.5 made an error on the date or DRJTBC didn't update their website yet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

MASTERNC

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 02, 2019, 11:50:51 AM

The DRJTBC's website still lists that the PA-bound tolls will start on July 10.  Either NJ 101.5 made an error on the date or DRJTBC didn't update their website yet.

Their press release also says July 14 for tolling.

http://www.scudderfallsbridge.com/important-announcement-lane-closures-travel-pattern-changes-traffic-shifts-scheduled-to-open-new-scudder-falls-toll-bridges-first-completed-span-new-bridge-opens-july-10-tolls-start-jul/

QuoteJuly 14 — Tolling Begins in PA-Bound Direction on the New Scudder Falls Toll Bridge — Early in the morning of Sunday, July 14 — at a second after midnight — the new All-Electronic Tolling (AET) gantry on the Pennsylvania side of the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge will go live.

mrsman

This is a great example of why "freeway entrance" signs, which are common in California and a few other western states, are a good idea.  In a situation like this, a freeway entrance sign will alert the driver that they are entering the highway.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on July 02, 2019, 10:20:06 PM

This is a great example of why "freeway entrance" signs, which are common in California and a few other western states, are a good idea.  In a situation like this, a freeway entrance sign will alert the driver that they are entering the highway.

The problem is the sign was hit or fell and was never replaced. The same would happen with a freeway entrance sign as well.

PHLBOS

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 02, 2019, 08:32:55 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 02, 2019, 11:50:51 AMThe DRJTBC's website still lists that the PA-bound tolls will start on July 10.  Either NJ 101.5 made an error on the date or DRJTBC didn't update their website yet.
Their press release also says July 14 for tolling.
http://www.scudderfallsbridge.com/important-announcement-lane-closures-travel-pattern-changes-traffic-shifts-scheduled-to-open-new-scudder-falls-toll-bridges-first-completed-span-new-bridge-opens-july-10-tolls-start-jul/
QuoteJuly 14 — Tolling Begins in PA-Bound Direction on the New Scudder Falls Toll Bridge — Early in the morning of Sunday, July 14 — at a second after midnight — the new All-Electronic Tolling (AET) gantry on the Pennsylvania side of the new Scudder Falls Toll Bridge will go live.
I double-checked their main webpage again today.  Thus far, such hasn't yet been updated to show the correct date with respect to their own press-release.

That said, the press-release info. governs in this particular case.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 02, 2019, 10:23:35 PM

The problem is the sign was hit or fell and was never replaced. The same would happen with a freeway entrance sign as well.

And probably has happened somewhere.

I liked those little freeway entrance signs when I visited California in 1981.  Back then those signs didn't have route shields attached IIRC.  When did they start adding route shields?

ixnay

roadman65

The Parkway and Turnpike both have their own entry guides that are uniform,  Not California, but even then they can use both and have the shields on both sides pointing down to the pavement and use Freeway Entrance for the interstates and NJ 18 and 55, and have Parkway Entrance as well for the Parkway ramps with the shields and down arrows after the ramp starts still using the famous trapezoid signs.

The NJ Turnpike with its trumpet T set ups makes it more difficult to do that, but NJ 18 has it going NB with the two shields and down arrows so a place card reading Turnpike Entrance could work so yeah one could be fit to work as well.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

Quote from: ixnay on July 03, 2019, 09:08:55 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 02, 2019, 10:23:35 PM

And probably has happened somewhere.

I liked those little freeway entrance signs when I visited California in 1981.  Back then those signs didn't have route shields attached IIRC.  When did they start adding route shields?

ixnay

I can't remember the exact date, but it was probably in the late 1980's.   I do remember them from my childhood.

The reason I brought up the freeway entrance signs is because I often hear from people that such things aren't simply needed, because it is generally obvious that you are entering a freeway because you are leaving a street and then taking some type of ramp right onto the freeway.  Well, the example above is a good example (Grove Rd in West Deptford, NJ) to why having the signage is a good idea.  You can be driving along and you see signage alerting you about the freeway.  YOu think, great, this will lead me toward the freeway.  If you want the freeway, you will follow the signs.  But you may also follow the signs if you want to go toward the freeway, even if you don't want to get on the freeway.  (An example of this is if you need gas, you want to go toward the freeway because you will use the freeway after you get gas, but you don't want to enter the freeway until you get gas.)  Since the road becomes a freeway ramp as soon as you cross Friars Blvd (i.e. just drive straight on), simply seeing the typical green signs, you feel simply guide you toward the freeway.  You would need an adequate warning that hey, you're not just driving towards the freeway, you are actually on it, and now you have to get up to speed.  The freeway entrance signs provide such warning.  They also provide a warning that if you just want to be near the freeway, but not on the freeway, (such as looking for nearby parking, or looking for a business) you need to turn onto Friars so that you don't unwittingly end up on the freeway and have to drive for a while before you can exit.

There aren't too many streets that force you onto an onramp like this, but the warning is appropriate.  It is similar to warnings that you may see such as "last exit before bridge."

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on July 04, 2019, 12:25:11 AM
I can't remember the exact date, but it was probably in the late 1980's.   I do remember them from my childhood.

The reason I brought up the freeway entrance signs is because I often hear from people that such things aren't simply needed, because it is generally obvious that you are entering a freeway because you are leaving a street and then taking some type of ramp right onto the freeway.  Well, the example above is a good example (Grove Rd in West Deptford, NJ) to why having the signage is a good idea.  You can be driving along and you see signage alerting you about the freeway.  YOu think, great, this will lead me toward the freeway.  If you want the freeway, you will follow the signs.  But you may also follow the signs if you want to go toward the freeway, even if you don't want to get on the freeway.  (An example of this is if you need gas, you want to go toward the freeway because you will use the freeway after you get gas, but you don't want to enter the freeway until you get gas.)  Since the road becomes a freeway ramp as soon as you cross Friars Blvd (i.e. just drive straight on), simply seeing the typical green signs, you feel simply guide you toward the freeway.  You would need an adequate warning that hey, you're not just driving towards the freeway, you are actually on it, and now you have to get up to speed.  The freeway entrance signs provide such warning.  They also provide a warning that if you just want to be near the freeway, but not on the freeway, (such as looking for nearby parking, or looking for a business) you need to turn onto Friars so that you don't unwittingly end up on the freeway and have to drive for a while before you can exit.

There aren't too many streets that force you onto an onramp like this, but the warning is appropriate.  It is similar to warnings that you may see such as "last exit before bridge."

Or...replace the 295 sign, which will specific the highway you're about to enter.

Besides...no one calls them freeways around here.

I get your point...but the "North 295 (arrow)" signage would be more meaningful than "Freeway Entrance". An increase to highway speed can't really be done until you start to round the curve ahead.

Its one of those things where I look around the country and wonder...does a few states do it better than the majority of the ststes, when it comes to signage such as "Freeway Entrance". In this case...no. Because that sign alone doesn't tell me anything about the route in getting on. "North 295" is much more meaningful.

mrsman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 04, 2019, 08:53:14 AM
Quote from: mrsman on July 04, 2019, 12:25:11 AM

Or...replace the 295 sign, which will specific the highway you're about to enter.

Besides...no one calls them freeways around here.

I get your point...but the "North 295 (arrow)" signage would be more meaningful than "Freeway Entrance". An increase to highway speed can't really be done until you start to round the curve ahead.

Its one of those things where I look around the country and wonder...does a few states do it better than the majority of the states, when it comes to signage such as "Freeway Entrance". In this case...no. Because that sign alone doesn't tell me anything about the route in getting on. "North 295" is much more meaningful.

Most freeway entrance signs also include the highway and direction. 

Here's another example where a regular city street suddenly becomes a freeway on-ramp (and eventually a bridge over the river):

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8862065,-77.0319879,3a,75y,197.95h,87.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIH77ZnQ8KwtdNvnyQXkCJQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

14th st SW in Downtown DC.

This one is particularly jarring to me, since it is also in a highly tourist area.  Along this stretch are two tourist attractions, Holocaust Museum and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (tours are offered to see how dollar bills are printed).  While parking is not allowed on 14th St, it is still common to drop off people at the curb, especially if you have elderly people or handicapped or young kids who can't walk well.  You think, great, let me drop them off here quickly and I will go circle the block for parking.  The problem is, is that if you don't make that LEFT turn onto C Street, you have no place to exit until you reach Virginia.  And there is no warning of this.

[This wasn't always the case, there is a block of D Street between 14th and Raoul Wallenberg on the south side of the BEP that could be used as a way to go around the block.  But that block has been commandeered as a private street for Treasury Dept. vehicles, as seen in the link below.]

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.88483,-77.0319909,3a,75y,268.12h,83.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sK1B-LyVJbjhvEIF8bOcrIA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The point that I am trying to make is that, other than freeway entrance signs, there is almost no way to effectively let people know that they have now reached the point of no return with respect to a freeway on-ramp.  The signs that are currently used can also be used to let you know that the freeway is coming up, but not necessarily that the entrance is right here right now.

Or they could put a sign that says, "no outlet except to freeway"

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0668058,-118.2360476,3a,75y,313.97h,86.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ3NL6jAEfp4oY56gC2LxlQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Now bringing the topic back to NJ, this is distinct from the entrances for the Parkway and NJTP as you have noted.  But those areas have signs that say "Parkway entrance" or the equivalent, which provide the same function.  I don't recall anything similar for other highways like I-80 or I-295 or other interstates in NJ (or most eastern states).

Something like this should really appear at all limited access highway entrances, not just toll roads:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1212142,-74.7065868,3a,75y,44.16h,84.76t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sUWvkxH4k6bqse17FImmzxA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DUWvkxH4k6bqse17FImmzxA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D352.54922%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

ilpt4u

I just GSV'd down Congress Pkwy approaching the beginning of I-290/Eisenhower Expressway in Chicago...there is no real signage there, at the last cross-street stoplight @ Wells St, that it is an Expressway (which in Chicago means Freeway) ahead - not even the usual IDOT "Prohibited"  list of vehicles and pedestrians not allowed on Freeways. The BGSs ahead for I-90/94 and I-290 are easily seen from the Wells stoplight, tho

Heading Inbound to the Chicago South Loop area, there is an overhead "Expressway Ends"  sign, right before driving thru the Old Post Office building. Probably should be a matching "Expressway Begins"  sign going Outbound, between Wells St and the Draw Bridge

The South Loop area gets plenty of Foot traffic as well. Probably more Locals who work and/or live there, but there are tourist spots not too far away

roadman65

I saw on a 1962 Esso Map that the Scudders Falls Bridge was to connect to NJ 129 as I-95 was to use the Trenton Freeway and have its own other alignment instead of the cancelled Somerset Freeway.  That explains why all the years the old bridge was substandard and not up to interstate specs.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on July 06, 2019, 12:24:12 PM
I saw on a 1962 Esso Map that the Scudders Falls Bridge was to connect to NJ 129 as I-95 was to use the Trenton Freeway and have its own other alignment instead of the cancelled Somerset Freeway.  That explains why all the years the old bridge was substandard and not up to interstate specs.
IIRC, the info. on those Esso maps weren't always immediately updated following a change.

The highway north of Trenton (old I-95/current I-295) was initially proposed as NJ 129.    Not 100% sure when such was actually designated as then-I-95 but I believe it was either when the road actually built (early 60s) or when the Bucks County PA portion was completed during the mid-60s.  When the original Scudder Falls Bridge first opened, the PA portion of the highway only went as far as the first interchange (Newtown/Yardley).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Yes as there was talk of taking I-95 through Trenton at that time.  The state was unsure of the actual routing, but nonetheless NJ 129 was a proposal of that freeway as I-95 would have went east of US 1 to East Brunswick where it would have interchanged with the Turnpike.

Probably short lived and General Drafting was slow to update at the time.  Though interesting to see what ideas went on at the time on these maps.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

I don't think the Garden State Parkway entrance signs are posted when a road randomly becomes an onramp. The case I can think of is here: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5611648,-74.3269491,3a,75y,97.01h,83.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjpZQe8tVq8U_YYvBevnDqg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1
No notice that Wood Ave becomes a Parkway onramp beyond this light.

As for the Turnpike, the "turnpike entrance" sign here was replaced by something more ambiguous:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5927246,-74.2263624,3a,75y,276.92h,103.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1slW2_3AW0X39MH4M4PVUm7Q!2e0!5s20180801T000000!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 08, 2019, 05:20:46 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on July 08, 2019, 03:50:26 PMAs for the Turnpike, the "turnpike entrance" sign here was replaced by something more ambiguous:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5927246,-74.2263624,3a,75y,276.92h,103.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1slW2_3AW0X39MH4M4PVUm7Q!2e0!5s20180801T000000!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1
Ambiguous?  Such looks pretty straight forward to me.

I think the idea is that it's a bit ambiguous that that's the ONLY thing in that direction. I think.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on July 08, 2019, 09:46:00 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 08, 2019, 05:20:46 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on July 08, 2019, 03:50:26 PMAs for the Turnpike, the "turnpike entrance" sign here was replaced by something more ambiguous:
Ambiguous?  Such looks pretty straight forward to me.

I think the idea is that it's a bit ambiguous that that's the ONLY thing in that direction. I think.

Why else would someone go or turn in that direction?

roadman65

Quote from: bzakharin on July 08, 2019, 03:50:26 PM
I don't think the Garden State Parkway entrance signs are posted when a road randomly becomes an onramp. The case I can think of is here: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5611648,-74.3269491,3a,75y,97.01h,83.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjpZQe8tVq8U_YYvBevnDqg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

As for the Turnpike, the "turnpike entrance" sign here was replaced by something more ambiguous:
I used to work at the Prudential and you be surprised at the semi traffic that had to make u turns because South Wood Avenue defaulted into the 131A trumpet.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: bzakharin on July 08, 2019, 03:50:26 PM

The Turnpike Entrance signs at that point of Int 12 are not ambiguous at all. It's very clear that if you go straight ahead, you're getting on the Turnpike. They have also put up various other signs on the driftway indicating that you turned left to get on the Turnpike. They replaced that sign, but not the green on white overhead on Roosevelt Ave, which would have been useful to be replaced with a properly MUTCD compliant sign (there's also the unique 6__ shields here for the Industrial Hwy since I guess the NJTA assumed it was going to be a county route, but Middlesex County was perfectly content to leave it in Carteret's hands).

The fact that Wood Ave just turns into a Parkway ramp with little warning. Eh, that's not great. At least needs a few "no trucks beyond this point" signs by the APA driveway.

roadman65

No matter how many signs you place and how straight forward they are, people are not going to read them.  So basically people who are going to enter a freeway by mistake are going to regardless especially if the GPS sends them there. 

Signs and route numbers are becoming a thing of the past as the GPS is become God and it is the way that "everybody" uses in most people's mind and its an excuse for mistakes of the common driver in 80 percent of the driver's minds who operate motor vehicles..

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on July 09, 2019, 08:57:02 AM
... the GPS is become God
Feel free to read my signature below.

Also & contrary to popular belief; signs & route numbers STILL have relevance... signs in particular.

These examples (two of them from Australia) come to mind.

Here's one that uses a route number in its message:

VMS example in Wrentham, MA near the Outlet stores:

Additionally & last time I checked, most if not all driver's tests include identifying traffic signs and what each one represents/stands for.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.