News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Last time you buyed a print newspaper

Started by bandit957, March 26, 2023, 01:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

When was the last time you buyed a print newspaper?

For me, it was around 2000. Every day except Sundays, I used to read the Kentucky Post, which was an edition of the Cincinnati Post, one of the big local dailies. I used to buy a copy from a vending machine. By that time, they had an online version, but I still buyed the print version, because it had articles the online edition didn't have. But I got tired of what essentially amounted to front-page editorials, so it just wasn't worth it anymore. The Post had good coverage of things like local crimes and fires, but it wasn't worth wading through the nonsense.

The Post finally went out of business in the late 2000s.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

July 25, 2018, because the Oklahoman had a front page story about Oklahoma installing enhanced mileposts.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

I bought one two days in a row this month, actually, because of the truck attack in Amqui, Quebec.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

GaryV

Does the one that should be sitting out in my driveway this morning count? (I'll check when it gets light)

But as for putting down cash at a newsstand - never. Putting money in a newspaper box - so long ago I can't remember when or why I did it.

MikeTheActuary

I think I might have bought a dead-tree newspaper 15-20 years ago, when I needed some packing material....

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Joliet Herald-News and Chicago Sun-Times delivered daily.  Chicago Tribune delivered only on Sundays.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2023, 08:11:49 AM
I've never "buyed" anything.
^This.

Can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper.  Maybe during college in the late 1990s.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Growing up, I was a newspaper junkie, and we had two newspapers delivered to the house every day. Granted, these were my parents' subscriptions, but I probably heavily influenced that we had two papers and not just one delivered.

When I got my own house in 2001 I continued the same. However as they went up in price and quality and size was reduced I cut back. I still getting the Sunday Philly Inquirer delivered again as part of a online access subscription until I went with online only last year.

At $5 for a daily paper or $6 for a Sunday paper, I'm only buying one now if there's a major headline, like the local Philly team wins a major championship.

I looked at buying an honor box - those old street corner newspaper boxes of which I plopped many quarters into over the years - as a memorabilia piece recently, but was probably a few years too late to find a decent one.

Max Rockatansky

Outside of a couple random one I bought at airports the last printed newspaper subscription I had was in 1998.  I did read the Detroit Free Press sports section in the high school library though until I graduated high school in 2001.

zachary_amaryllis

Newspapers were great for getting a 'snapshot' of the news at whatever press time was.

Not so much for real-time, but we knew this.

The Denver Post has gone from being a pretty respectable paper, to mostly ads with a few stories thrown in.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

formulanone

Being a bit of a tightwad, I probably last bought a newspaper on September 12, 2001. I saved a handful of them (when my kids were born, or for some big news event), but it's either been "free" or a discarded copy in most other cases. I don't think I've saved one since 2011. Many hotels used to deliver a copy of the paper to your doorstep until around 2013-14, but I was declining it after my first year on the road, not finding much time to read it during mostly rushed breakfasts.

I forget how badly newsprint stinks, especially the 1-2 times a year someone actually unfurls a newspaper on an airplane. I used to deliver newspapers decades ago, and was quite used to the odor, to the point I didn't even notice it anymore.

tigerwings

Last newspaper was the Denver Post when I left town November 2016. Was the Rocky until it closed.

I still visit the Detroit Free Press website daily.

bandit957

I used to get the Post delivered when I lived in Highland Heights, but I started buying it from a vending machine when I moved to Bellevue. It cost the same.

On Saturdays, the Post would include a huge portfolio of slick ads. This was worthless to me, as it wasn't worth the time to sort through the ads for products I'd never buy. It was also hypocritical for the Post to include these ads, because some of their editorials used the existence of some of these products as an excuse for their goofy stances.

When I was growing up, my folks had the Cincinnati Enquirer delivered each day, but then they switched to the Post every day except Sundays, when they still got the Enquirer. I think the Enquirer and the Post had a joint operating agreement through most of those years.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2023, 02:55:42 AM
July 25, 2018, because the Oklahoman had a front page story about Oklahoma installing enhanced mileposts.

Wow, that was a front page story?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dlsterner

Quote from: bandit957 on March 26, 2023, 01:12:10 AM
When was the last time you buyed a print newspaper?

The last time I buyed bought a print newspaper was around 2010.  I had subscribed to The (Baltimore) Sun since 1981, but it got to the point of finding they were just backing up in my "to read" pile, so I just finally terminated the subscription and never looked back.

Just as easy to get my news, weather, and sports online.  I still somewhat miss the comic pages, especially Dilbert and Zippy The Pinhead.  (Yes I know you can still get comics online).

Ted$8roadFan

Just today, I bought the Sunday NY Times. Yes, I could read it online (and sometimes do), but I like the ability to do at least one of my daily activities that don't require a screen. Plus, the paper can be composted.

bandit957

In my day, we also got the weekly Campbell County Recorder delivered. I don't remember as much about it.

wanderer2575

Been a long time since I bought a print version of a newspaper, but I have a subscription to the online version of the Detroit Free Press.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 26, 2023, 02:45:44 PM
Been a long time since I bought a print version of a newspaper, but I have a subscription to the online version of the Detroit Free Press.
I don't get how people can read local news from around the country. Subscribing to like 100 local newspapers must add up. But there are ways around paywalls.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

DandyDan

Back in January, when I had my mother over for a few days, mostly so she could do the crossword puzzle in it. Last time I bought it for myself was the weekend in January 2020 I went up to see the Wild hockey game in St. Paul. Something to read during dead time.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

brad2971

The last print newspaper I bought was the final print edition of the Rocky Mountain News in early 2009, mainly as a keepsake (the front cover had the address as "Cherry Creek, KT (Kansas Territory), and the year as 1859). That's right; the Rocky Mountain News was printed before Denver officially became a community. The paper fell two months short of its sesquicentennial.

Takumi

Last time I can remember is 2011, for my grandpa's obituary.

When I was a child, I remember an incident where my mom asked me to go get a newspaper, and the guy selling them wouldn't give me one. I started crying and the guy got in trouble.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on March 26, 2023, 10:46:58 AM
I forget how badly newsprint stinks, especially the 1-2 times a year someone actually unfurls a newspaper on an airplane. I used to deliver newspapers decades ago, and was quite used to the odor, to the point I didn't even notice it anymore.

The smell of it doesn't bother me, but I hate the texture of it. The way they printed the Oklahoman in the 90s, the ink would rub off onto your hands too. That was gross.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 26, 2023, 01:07:28 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2023, 02:55:42 AM

Wow, that was a front page story?

Above the fold, even. The other front page stories were: "Rural healthcare goes remote", "Lawmakers call Ethics Commission 'rogue' agency", and "OU Foundation withdraws arena plans".

The national news at the time (all from AP) was "Trump claims in tweets Russia will favor Dems" (that aged like milk, huh?), "Panel suggests Cosby be labeled violent predator", and "Los Angeles chief says police, not gunman, fired fatal shot at market".

So it was a slow news day, I guess.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.