News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Texas Police Officers Show Support for Eliminating Paper Tags

Started by ZLoth, March 30, 2023, 10:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: ZLoth on April 01, 2023, 10:48:23 PM
Quote from: kalvado on April 01, 2023, 01:22:53 PMAs for TX illegal plates, I still don't see why faking TX metal plate is more difficult than faking a paper one. Or if you look from the other side, either is a high level crime - probably   felony.

The reflective coating has several layer of lamination which include a bit of a watermark making it harder to counterfeit.
All this is significantly dependent on enforcement priorities. Watermark may be noticable for someone standing next to the car, but likely not so much to a regular patrol officer in traffic. Plate readers can help to verify things, especially in-state, if police choose to address the problem. Looks like they don't
Sort of understandable as invalid registration per se isn't a threat to public safety, but may create a lot of problems from need to arrange a tow to dealing with "targeting low-income community".

ZLoth

From StreetsBlog:

GHOST TAGS: Inside the Black Market for Temporary License Plates

• Part 1: The Dealers - Used car dealers have exploited loose state regulations to fraudulently issued temporary license plates, which flow through a thriving black market to drivers who use them to skirt accountability on the road.
  • Part 2: The Landlords - Vast numbers of temporary license plates trace back to a network of warehouses and office buildings across Georgia and New Jersey that each serve as the business address of dozens or even hundreds of enigmatic used car dealers.
  • Part 3: The Buyers - Motorists in New York City and across the country have turned to fraudulent temporary license plates to drive without car insurance or valid licenses, to skirt tolls, taxes and fees, or to commit more serious crimes on the road with their identities concealed.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SP Cook

1 - Traffic cops have no business attending any public hearing on any subject.  When confronted with the truth about revenue random taxation and the failure of first the NMSL and later of other, still too low, SLs, they respond with the Nuremberg defense ("I was just following orders").  This belies that.  When you appear (apparently 8 cops  is "packed" to this reporterete) and advocate for any law, YOU are responsible for its ethical nature.  Or in the case of traffic laws, the lack thereof.

2 - If Texas temp tags are a problem, then get off your dead a** and do some serious useful police work.  Run the numbers.  But, nah, much easier to just run radar.  People that use temp paper tags to avoid interaction with the state might be dangerous.  Much safer to abuse ordinary people driving safe and fast.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on April 10, 2023, 08:42:13 AM
1 - Traffic cops have no business attending any public hearing on any subject.  When confronted with the truth about revenue random taxation and the failure of first the NMSL and later of other, still too low, SLs, they respond with the Nuremberg defense ("I was just following orders").  This belies that.  When you appear (apparently 8 cops  is "packed" to this reporterete) and advocate for any law, YOU are responsible for its ethical nature.  Or in the case of traffic laws, the lack thereof.

2 - If Texas temp tags are a problem, then get off your dead a** and do some serious useful police work.  Run the numbers.  But, nah, much easier to just run radar.  People that use temp paper tags to avoid interaction with the state might be dangerous.  Much safer to abuse ordinary people driving safe and fast.

I actually have an issue with any public-funded executive or administrative agency lobbying for any public policies. The job of the executive branch is to carry out the directives of the legislative branch.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kalvado

Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2023, 11:09:40 AM

I actually have an issue with any public-funded executive or administrative agency lobbying for any public policies. The job of the executive branch is to carry out the directives of the legislative branch.
There is definitely a need for feedback from those in charge of actually implementing the law to lawmakers. Lawmakers cannot be aware of everything what goes on in the jurisdiction, and may not be in position to address the problem they are not aware of. And there is definitely a problem at hand.
It's not that much different from telling your boss "that doesn't work". 

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2023, 11:09:40 AM

Heh.  In my experience, the legislative bodies, whether federal, state or even county, reach out to executive agencies to see what needs to be done.  The connection flows both ways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: ZLoth on April 09, 2023, 04:24:36 PM
From StreetsBlog:

GHOST TAGS: Inside the Black Market for Temporary License Plates

• Part 1: The Dealers - Used car dealers have exploited loose state regulations to fraudulently issued temporary license plates, which flow through a thriving black market to drivers who use them to skirt accountability on the road.
  • Part 2: The Landlords - Vast numbers of temporary license plates trace back to a network of warehouses and office buildings across Georgia and New Jersey that each serve as the business address of dozens or even hundreds of enigmatic used car dealers.
  • Part 3: The Buyers - Motorists in New York City and across the country have turned to fraudulent temporary license plates to drive without car insurance or valid licenses, to skirt tolls, taxes and fees, or to commit more serious crimes on the road with their identities concealed.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
There is one good point in that article: a lot of things in life are set up so that inability to drive a car leads to catastrophic consequences. Work, school, groceries, social life - most of them depend on ability to drive. Hence a strong incentive to drive no matter what.
Although article focuses on NYC, where options do exist...

ZLoth

From NBC DFW:

Bill to Eliminate Paper License Plates in Texas Passes Texas Senate
QuoteTexas is just two steps away from eliminating paper license plates.

Late Wednesday afternoon, the Texas Senate voted 30-1 to pass a bill that would replace paper temporary tags with metal license plates.

The bill is now headed back to the Texas House where, if members concur with Senate amendments, the bill will head for Gov. Greg Abbott's (R) desk.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ZLoth

From KXAN:

No more paper license plates: new law tears up old system
QuoteSay goodbye to paper license plates – just not yet.

Gov. Greg Abbott signed a bill into law Monday that puts the brakes on Texas' paper license plate problem by tearing up the current system. The new law replaces all paper tags with metal ones. It goes into effect July 1, 2025.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.