News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Anyone looked into retiring abroad? I'm thinking about it.

Started by OCGuy81, April 06, 2023, 01:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 12, 2023, 11:37:52 AM
I've thought about retiring to Medellin.  Solid infrastructure and it's the city of eternal spring.  But I'd have to learn a lot more Spanish (you can really only get by on English if you're within the tourist bubble) and, for safety reasons, would have to live in a high-rise somewhere rather than out in the country.

It's funny how Latin American cities do things the opposite from the U.S. In the U.S., downtown can be rough and a lot of people with money live in the hills/mountains nearby. In Latin America, downtown is normally very nice and expensive and there's a ton of poverty in the hills/mountains nearby.

Rothman

I've thought about retiring to Medellin.  Solid infrastructure and it's the city of eternal spring.  But I'd have to learn a lot more Spanish (you can really only get by on English if you're within the tourist bubble) and, for safety reasons, would have to live in a high-rise somewhere rather than out in the country.
Somebody likes cocaine.  Medellin's reputation was pretty lousy not so long ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2023, 01:59:04 PM
Somebody likes cocaine.  Medellin's reputation was pretty lousy not so long ago.

I've not been (I've been to Bogotá), but every traveler I've talked to that's spent time in Colombia said that Medellín is their favorite.

OCGuy81

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 12, 2023, 11:48:22 AM

Very true.  In my research of Panama, you can be in downtown Panama City which is one of the nicer areas.  I looked at a high rise condo with an amazing view that was incredibly affordable.

The outlying areas are definitely hit or miss.  If you go to them, a lot of people urge looking into a gated home, or even gated neighborhood.

It's funny how Latin American cities do things the opposite from the U.S. In the U.S., downtown can be rough and a lot of people with money live in the hills/mountains nearby. In Latin America, downtown is normally very nice and expensive and there's a ton of poverty in the hills/mountains nearby.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 12, 2023, 11:48:22 AM

That's starting to change in a lot of US cities. Chicago has had an influx of money into some areas near the Loop that used to be really bad.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on April 13, 2023, 07:14:34 AM
That's starting to change in a lot of US cities. Chicago has had an influx of money into some areas near the Loop that used to be really bad.

Call me when Humboldt Park is nicer than St Charles.  That's kind of what Latin American cities are like.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 09, 2023, 02:10:07 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on April 09, 2023, 11:54:08 AMThe "retire on a cruise ship" deal has been a cute story for a long time.  Fun with math, the cost of living there is less than either an apartment or a nursing home.  The problem with that is most cruise ships are the same trip over and over.  Same ports, same activities, same acts, same food rotation, same everything, over and over and over.

Many cruise ships are in fact floating nursing homes in all but name.  When family friends retired and went on a round-the-world cruise, they discovered a fair few of their fellow passengers were repeating the same trip over and over because it was actually somewhat cheaper than being in assisted living.

Depends on what kind of nursing and assistance you need.  Cruise ships are hardly "floating nursing homes."  Yeah, they make your bed daily and prepare all your meals.  But they won't step in if you need assistance getting clothed/bathed/going potty/eating.  Medical service is very limited; if you develop anything serious while at sea, count on an expensive airlift to land.  You can't get medical equipment serviced onboard; you'll have to hope someone in port can do it and in the limited time you're there.  If you arrange to pick up medication or equipment at a port but then that port gets skipped for some reason, you've got problems. 

You can pay for someone to travel with you to assist (which can double your cost) but they won't be able to do anything about some of these situations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.