News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maverik to acquire Kum & Go

Started by iowahighways, April 21, 2023, 01:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iowahighways

The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

triplemultiplex

I would have to think they're going to change the brand.  I mean, come on.
So snatch up all the Kum & Go merch while you still can!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

formulanone

Road Hog

QuoteIn addition to buying Kum & Go's 400 stores, Maverik and its parent company, FJ Management, will purchase Solar Transport, a Krause-owned tank truck carrier and logistic provider.

FJ Management is a private company that owns convenience stores, oil refineries, banks and insurance businesses. In addition to Maverik, the company co-owns Pilot Flying J, the country's largest truck stop chain. Berkshire Hathaway and Pilot Corp. are the chain's other owners.
The history of the company appears to suggest they will keep the Kum & Go brand.

SectorZ

I guess bastardizations of English flock together?

kphoger

Quote from: Road Hog on April 21, 2023, 05:04:22 PM
The history of the company appears to suggest they will keep the Kum & Go brand.

There are a lot of Kum & Go devotees out there.  I doubt there are nearly as many Maverik devotees.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

At the very least it'll probably become a visible "part of the Maverik family of stores" or something if they don't want a full rebrand.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SectorZ

LilianaUwU

Quote from: SectorZ on April 22, 2023, 08:48:36 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 22, 2023, 06:20:14 AM
Hehe, kum.

Goes well with Flying J
Speaking of funny names, there's a diner in my hometown called BJ's.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

KCRoadFan

hotdogPi

I have a friend who says that one particular truck stop (nowhere near Massachusetts) has prostitutes in the back. Out of the hundreds of Kum & Go locations, it's statistically likely that at least one has its name taken literally...
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Road Hog

If the truck is a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'.

gonealookin

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2023, 05:38:03 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on April 21, 2023, 05:04:22 PM

There are a lot of Kum & Go devotees out there.  I doubt there are nearly as many Maverik devotees.

I wouldn't say Maverik has any particularly devoted following, no, but their stores are usually pretty nice inside, far better than most gas station convenience stores, and if Maverik's gas isn't the cheapest in town it's reliably pretty close.  Locally, if I need gas and I'm not close to the Costco I'll usually head for Maverik.

Rothman

Eh, in Rexburg, ID, the kids would cruise from the Maverik on the west side of town to the east one.  There's the extent of the Maverik following.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2023, 11:19:02 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 22, 2023, 09:10:35 AM
Hehe, kum.

Goes well with Flying J
There's BJ's Wholesale, too...
There's a restaurant with the name on Wolf Road right across Central Ave from the plaza with BJ's Wholesale is.

Incidentally, having grown up with BJ's (the wholesale club, that is - my parents shop there regularly), I never thought of the connotation of the name before, but now cannot unsee it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

epzik8

Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2023, 04:56:23 PM
Eh, in Rexburg, ID, the kids would cruise from the Maverik on the west side of town to the east one.  There's the extent of the Maverik following.

Provo, Utah as well.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Quote from: epzik8 on April 22, 2023, 08:21:12 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2023, 04:56:23 PM

Provo, Utah as well.
I didn't know the kids in Provo cruised.  Never did my time at the Y.

gonealookin

Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2023, 11:19:02 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 22, 2023, 09:10:35 AM
Hehe, kum.

Goes well with Flying J
There's BJ's Wholesale, too...
If this is the "raunchy jokes about business names" thread, I love drive-in type burgers and fries and I put some Dick's in my mouth every time I visit Seattle.

kphoger

Where I grew up, the nearest Chinese restaurant was called 'Big Wong'.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on April 24, 2023, 09:45:15 AM

Could have been worse ... it could have been this Chinese restaurant ...

US 89

I wouldn't consider myself a "devoted follower" of Maverik the way people do for Buc-ees or Sheetz or Wawa, but if Maverik is a choice when I'm driving out west I will almost always stop there. Their gas prices are pretty competitive and I can always count on them to have clean restrooms especially at their newer locations.

kphoger

Quote from: dlsterner on April 24, 2023, 08:47:55 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 24, 2023, 09:45:15 AM

Could have been worse ... it could have been this Chinese restaurant ...

Now there's A Dong just over a half-mile from our house.
Male pronouns, please.

doorknob60

Never been to Kum & Go, but before this announcement they were planning on opening a bunch of locations in the Boise area. I wonder how the acquisition affects those plans, Maverik already has a strong presence here. My guess is some of the planned locations will still be built, but under the Maverik name. I guess we'll see.

Maverik is definitely the "nicest" of the convenience stores around here. Most of the stores are a pretty good size, kept clean/up to date, and have more prepared food options than average (though not as good as a lot of other chains in other areas). The gas is also on average a few cents cheaper than the other chains (still above the Costcos and Walmarts of the world as you'd expect). The other main chains we have are Jacksons/ExtraMile and Stinker. Both of those are pretty hit or miss on size and quality, though none of them are bad here. The Boise area is notably lacking some large chains (which are also hit or miss) like 7-Eleven and Circle K.

Maverik, while overall pretty good, still doesn't hold a candle to something like Wawa though. Wish we had some more competition out west in that space, which I was hoping Kum & Go would bring. Under the same umbrella, I doubt we'll see too much improvement or innovation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.