News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Business Journal: Tolling, HOV eyed as part of Fairfax County Parkway study

QuoteFrom new interchanges to toll lanes to bus rapid transit, Fairfax County leaders want the state to study potential solutions to traffic congestion on two major county roads.

QuoteThe Board of Supervisors will vote Tuesday to launch a detailed analysis of traffic relief options on the Fairfax County and Franconia-Springfield parkways. First, the board will ask the Virginia Department of Transportation to tackle the $1.5 million job, and if it refuses, the county will pay for the work itself.

QuoteThe study would cover the Fairfax County Parkway from Route 7 to Route 1, and the Franconia-Springfield Parkway to Beulah Street.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

QuoteIn spite of that, the mode of choice for most users of the transportation system is the private automobile (and that is a good thing, since most of the subsidies to run transit, including VRE, come from highway user fees and taxes).

It's a good thing...?  Sitting in a mess of traffic on the Beltway or 66 or 95 is a good thing?  Finding parking in the DC core during peak hours is a good thing?  (or hunting for parking at Tysons Corner for that matter).

And how about the subsidies that come to run the road network?  Including but not limited to property taxes (including from non-drivers), sales taxes (in Virginia), and not the least of which Congress having to bail out the Highway Trust Fund from the General Treasury to the tune of billions of dollars (much more than gets taken out for the mass transit fund) over the past 5 years.

Keep in mind that land-use decisions that overwhelmingly segregated uses and all-but-forced suburban residents to drive is in no small part the reason why the car is the "mode of choice for most users".  Because it's the ONLY choice.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on July 28, 2013, 04:26:28 AM
QuoteIf it was your decision, what would you do to improve performance on I-66?

Optimally, about $3 billion worth.  In no particular order, extend the Orange Line to at least Fair Oaks, improved VRE service along the Manassas Line (with an extension to Haymarket), a 2-lane barrier-separated HOV facility from the Beltway to at least Centreville, implode the interchange at 28 and start over, a flyover from EB 66 to NB 7100 (nee 286), a consistent and permanent 4 lanes each way from Gainesville to the Beltway (IMO, Gainesville to 15 at Haymarket only needs 6 lanes, not 8), and auxiliary lanes between the Beltway and Nutley, between 123 and 50, and between 7100 and 29/Centreville.

I like your list.  I am not so enthused about Metrorail extensions, because of the operational limitations of the system, but I think running the Orange Line to Fair  Oaks or maybe  even to Fair Lakes makes some sense, because enormous numbers of Orange Line patrons live in that direction, and an extension actually would divert some trips to transit. 

As for the HOV facility, make it HOV/Toll and we have agreement. 

Not sure that any widening is needed between Gainesville and Haymarket, but what is needed is a much better interchange than the wheezing diamond at U.S. 15 that's been there since that part of 66 opened in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

Aux lanes would help, and can be connected to the C-D roadways already in place at Va. 243 (Nutley Street) and (partially) at Va. 123.

Quote from: froggie on July 28, 2013, 04:26:28 AM
A more realistic, more limited build would include VRE, a new interchange at 28, auxiliary lanes between 28 and 7100, the 7100 flyover, and 8 permanent lanes (thus restoring the shoulder) from Fair Oaks to the Beltway.

That is a pretty good start.  I am not so enthused about VRE to Haymarket for reasons previously discussed, but it looks like it is going to happen regardless of what I think about it.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on July 30, 2013, 04:01:27 AM
QuoteIn spite of that, the mode of choice for most users of the transportation system is the private automobile (and that is a good thing, since most of the subsidies to run transit, including VRE, come from highway user fees and taxes).

It's a good thing...?  Sitting in a mess of traffic on the Beltway or 66 or 95 is a good thing?  Finding parking in the DC core during peak hours is a good thing?  (or hunting for parking at Tysons Corner for that matter).

Without subsidies from highway users, all of the Metrorail system (and Metrobus as well) would immediately shut down and all capital spending would cease.  That is what anyone in favor of transit needs to consider.

And how about the subsidies that come to run the road network?  Including but not limited to property taxes (including from non-drivers), sales taxes (in Virginia), and not the least of which Congress having to bail out the Highway Trust Fund from the General Treasury to the tune of billions of dollars (much more than gets taken out for the mass transit fund) over the past 5 years.

You are spotlighting a political problem. Members of both houses of Congress from both parties are terrified of proposing an increase in the per-gallon motor fuel tax. 

Keep in mind that land-use decisions that overwhelmingly segregated uses and all-but-forced suburban residents to drive is in no small part the reason why the car is the "mode of choice for most users".  Because it's the ONLY choice.

My home county, Montgomery County, Maryland has been rationalizing a host of (in many cases bad and mostly unsuccessful) efforts to improve and expand transit and force off the highway network since 1970.  There is plenty  of choice (in terms of transit), but the transit system is itself lightly  used, in part because of geography. 

Alps

Quote from: stonefort on August 02, 2013, 05:43:03 PM
Bi-County Parkway is a great idea.
And, yeah, roads letting citizens go about their business are a good idea. I know the ruling class prefers to control people and force them into inefficient, wasteful mass transit but I think people are slowly learning the folly after one white elephant light rail project after another fails miserably.
Troll much?

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Pr. William supervisors to hear from Connaughton about Bi-County Parkway

QuoteVirginia Transportation Secretary Sean T. Connaughton's scheduled appearance Tuesday in front of the Prince William Board of County Supervisors underscores an important moment in the debate over a controversial parkway that would connect Prince William and Loudoun counties, observers say.

QuoteThe Bi-County Parkway has divided elected officials in Prince William and Loudoun, with many raising concerns about the 10-mile road that would run through Civil War ground and Prince William's protected Rural Crescent. The coming weeks are important for the future of the parkway, because it is unclear whether a future administration would embrace plans for the road, and state officials look for a major legal agreement to be completed before year's end.

cpzilliacus

AP via WTOP Radio: 41-vehicle pileup on I-81 in Va. injures 10 people

QuoteLEXINGTON, Va. (AP) -- Police are investigating a 41-vehicle pileup in Rockbridge County that injured at least 10 people.

QuoteThe Virginia Department of Transportation says in a news release that the pileup occurred around 5 p.m. Sunday on Interstate 81 in the Lexington area. Six tractor-trailers were involved in the pileup.

mtfallsmikey

I was heading north on 81 between Edinburg and Winchester at that time, thank goodness it didn't happen there, but Shenandoah Co. is a real hotspot for accidents. I-81 should be renamed I-95 Alt.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtfallsmikey on August 13, 2013, 06:50:13 AM
I was heading north on 81 between Edinburg and Winchester at that time, thank goodness it didn't happen there, but Shenandoah Co. is a real hotspot for accidents. I-81 should be renamed I-95 Alt.

Does it really serve the same travel market as I-95?  I don't think so.  I suppose it is possible  (from the Washington area) to go west on I-66 to I-81, then south to I-77 and then I-26 to get back to I-95, but that is an awful lot of extra miles.

According to Google, it's about 475 miles from D.C. to I-95 and I-26 near Holly Hill, S.C. 

Taking I-66 to I-81 to I-77 to Columbia, S.C. to I-26 to I-95 at Holly Hill is about 580 miles.  Given the many  miles on I-81 (with the extremely  high  percentage of trucks), I think I will stay with I-95.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

deathtopumpkins

The commission says the increases are needed to build a second Thimble Shoal Tunnel.

So does this mean they're actually going to build a second tunnel?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

cpzilliacus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 14, 2013, 12:12:12 PM
The commission says the increases are needed to build a second Thimble Shoal Tunnel.

At least they are going to get started on preliminary engineering and design. 

But to directly answer your question, I think the answer is yes

Which leads to another question.  Are they going to build a new (and deeper) four lane tube and abandon the existing two-lane tunnel?  Or will they just build a new parallel (2 lane) tube adjacent to the existing Thimble Shoal Tunnel?

cpzilliacus

IMO, the headline is not hype, either.

Dr. Gridlock in the Washington  Post: Big improvement coming for Virginia traffic

QuoteA commuter asked us via Twitter Wednesday morning if we had any information on progress with the new interchange on Route 29 in Gainesville. He saw variable message boards reporting that changes would occur this coming weekend.

QuoteIn fact, that was the original plan for launching the major transportation improvement of the summer in the D.C. region. The Virginia Department of Transportation is on the verge of opening a new bridge that will separate Route 29 drivers from the Norfolk Southern tracks that cut across this important commuter route just southwest of the Interstate 66 interchange in the middle of Gainesville.

QuoteThe next phase of the project will put Linton Hall Road over Route 29 and the railroad tracks. That should be done by the end of 2014. The Gainesville project is one of the biggest road jobs in Virginia, and should remove a bottleneck that has slowed commuters, shoppers and long-distance travelers for many years.

1995hoo

That new overpass was needed 30 years ago. Long overdue. But he's right: Absolutely avoid that entire area next weekend. (Heck, avoid it this weekend. Buffett concert traffic will be a nightmare.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 14, 2013, 12:30:55 PM
That new overpass was needed 30 years ago. Long overdue. But he's right: Absolutely avoid that entire area next weekend. (Heck, avoid it this weekend. Buffett concert traffic will be a nightmare.)

And I am afraid that even with the new grade separated crossing, that area will still be a mess when the venue is hosting a big act.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 14, 2013, 12:16:14 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 14, 2013, 12:12:12 PM

At least they are going to get started on preliminary engineering and design. 

But to directly answer your question, I think the answer is yes

Which leads to another question.  Are they going to build a new (and deeper) four lane tube and abandon the existing two-lane tunnel?  Or will they just build a new parallel (2 lane) tube adjacent to the existing Thimble Shoal Tunnel?

I see no reason they would remove the old tunnel. It's still perfectly serviceable.  I'm sure they'll just build a parallel tube,  like VDOT did with the HRBT and Downtown Tunnel.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 14, 2013, 12:34:14 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 14, 2013, 12:30:55 PM

And I am afraid that even with the new grade separated crossing, that area will still be a mess when the venue is hosting a big act.

I think it will perhaps be even worse for the next year or two. Concert venues like that are the type of place a lot of people don't go very often, so they don't know about changes to the roads, and a lot of them will also put blind faith in a sat-nav. So even if there's a big sign telling you to exit to the right to go to the venue, you'll get people who are hearing their sat-nav to say to make the next left turn who will get over to the left and then get flummoxed when the left turn is gone. Same thing STILL sometimes happens on the Inner Loop of the Beltway at I-66 in the general-purpose lanes as people look for the left-side exit that now serves only the Express Lanes. It's been closed to general-purpose traffic for at least two years, but that doesn't stop the sat-nav reliers from expecting it to be there.

Edited to add: I just put a comment on Dr. Gridlock's article and I noted how the rendering reminds me a great deal of the reconstruction of the Gallows Road/Route 50 intersection (Yorktowne Center) back in the early 1980s. We lived not far from there until June 1983, when we moved closer to Fairfax City to where my parents still live today. I still vividly remember what a mess that area was during the construction, and it's funny how the ramp from southbound US-29 to Linton Hall Road looks so similar in configuration to the ramp from westbound US-50 to Gallows Road (primarily because in both cases an off-ramp from an Interstate touches down where that ramp splits off, so the ramp uses an underpass to allow higher-speed Interstate traffic to access either the exit ramp or the thru lanes without having to weave).

agentsteel53

I remember a VMS on US-441 near Dollywood saying explicitly "DO NOT OBEY GPS.  DOLLYWOOD NEXT RIGHT."
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 14, 2013, 01:05:03 PM
I remember a VMS on US-441 near Dollywood saying explicitly "DO NOT OBEY GPS.  DOLLYWOOD NEXT RIGHT."

Brilliant. That sort of thing would never happen in Virginia.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 14, 2013, 12:38:07 PM
I see no reason they would remove the old tunnel. It's still perfectly serviceable.

Pump, I agree with you.  The only reason to entirely bypass (and ultimately remove) either of the existing CBBT tunnels  is channel depth.  Scott Kozel has a good discussion here about twinning (or replacing) the CBBT tubes.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 14, 2013, 12:38:07 PM
I'm sure they'll just build a parallel tube,  like VDOT did with the HRBT and Downtown Tunnel.

That would be the least-expensive alternative.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 14, 2013, 02:28:26 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 14, 2013, 01:05:03 PM

Brilliant. That sort of thing would never happen in Virginia.

Actually, Virginia has several permanent yellow signs I've seen throughout the commonwealth to not follow GPS onto certain roads.  Most (if not all) were meant for trucks...

Here is a newer plate sign like this for VA 56 from US 11: http://goo.gl/maps/TftrC

Mapmikey

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 14, 2013, 08:52:02 PM
Here is a newer plate sign like this for VA 56 from US 11: http://goo.gl/maps/TftrC

That's interesting.  I drove that section  of Va. 56 (from U.S. 11 to the crest of the ridge, where it crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway) quite a few years ago, and recall that the signs (then) read something about the route being "NOT RECOMMENDED" for vehicles over a certain length (might have been 40 or 60 or 65 feet). 

Takumi

There are several in southeastern Chesterfield County as well, telling trucks to stay off a very twisty (and fun, in a sports car) section of SR 746 known as Snake Road, seen here. I've followed a truck down it before, and it caused trouble for opposing traffic, as expected.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.