News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Augusta National wants it own exit from I-20 to golf club

Started by afguy, February 27, 2019, 09:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

This certainly comes as a surprise to me and I'm sure the small businesses along Washington Rd wouldn't like it. But considering the power that the club wields, I'm sure that can pull off.

QuoteThe bombshell news that has recently come out is the National's desire to have its very own exit off I-20 straight onto the Augusta National, no need to pass go. The idea that has been floated would have Masters guests taking the Augusta National exit just before the Washington Road exit and run them parallel to Boy Scout Road, then follow the Rae's Creek bed to their parking lot.

While the Riverwatch exit does lead to the course, there are many issues with the configuration of the exit and the traffic flow on I-20. Also, the National doesn't control the cars until they break Washington Road, and that is an expensive and potentially dangerous pedestrian problem.

With cars exiting the interstate directly onto Augusta National property, the reduction in labor costs for the hundreds of people-the thousands of man hours-and cars on the streets surrounding the Augusta National, would be greatly reduced.

Insiders speculate that the investment would pay off in the long term.

What isn't as clear is the economic impact the new route would have on Augusta's small businesses who benefit from all the traffic and visitors. Word is, Augusta National will act sooner rather than later.

Remember, this is the same organization that was granted the right to reroute a public road them damn selves, and did it ahead of schedule and under budget.

As the National themselves state, "Augusta National Golf Club is a marathon, not a sprint, and  can calibrate appropriately."  

The wealth, affluence and power is not going anywhere anytime soon. Well, ever actually.

So get ready Augusta. You are certain to be astonished by the quiet forceful power of the Augusta National in the not too distant future.
Exit Augusta National - Metro Spirit

Beltway

The club is a mile from I-20, and a connecting road would have creek impacts and would necessitate buying out at least 20 homes.  Not a good idea.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Augusta/@33.5054611,-82.0353429,3018m/data=!3m1!1e3
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

I'm sure FHWA would have something to say about this (that Augusta National won't like).  Unless the Atlanta FHWA office just rubberstamps whatever comes their way...

afguy

Quote from: froggie on February 27, 2019, 10:37:14 AM
I'm sure FHWA would have something to say about this (that Augusta National won't like).  Unless the Atlanta FHWA office just rubberstamps whatever comes their way...

I agree, I don't see the feds signing off on an interchange to benefit a private entity. Also, despite the power that the Augusta National may wield locally, even GDOT won't play ball with this plan. A feasibility study will need to be done, environmental studies, and interchange justification report. Also, I'm not sure residents of the area would want a new road coming through their backyards just to the sole benefit of the Augusta National.

oscar

Quote from: afguy on February 27, 2019, 12:23:28 PM
Also, I'm not sure residents of the area would want a new road coming through their backyards just to the sole benefit of the Augusta National.

Don't forget the massive influx of visitors who come to Augusta for the Masters tournament. This is not just for the club, and the business it conducts the other 51 weeks of the year.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

nexus73

I-920 anyone?  Given that this venue draws in a lot of people for a major sporting event, it would seem to be a good idea to get a traffic pattern in place which can handle the event. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

formulanone

hotdogPi

Quote from: formulanone on February 27, 2019, 06:12:59 PM
Which club? Driver, iron, putter, or wedge?

Driver, obviously. That's why it needs access to I-20.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

TheHighwayMan3561

They should just build an airstrip adjacent to the course, since a lot of uber wealthy patrons opt just to fly the short distance from Atlanta to Augusta than drive it at all.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cjk374

Since they came up with the idea, and they have lots of money, let THEM pay for it.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ilpt4u

Quote from: nexus73 on February 27, 2019, 02:27:10 PM
I-920 anyone?  Given that this venue draws in a lot of people for a major sporting event, it would seem to be a good idea to get a traffic pattern in place which can handle the event. 

Rick
Obviously, has to be I-420, despite being a Spur...

Interstate "Fore!"20

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
Augusta Golf Club is known for a very different type of grass than normally associated with the "420" number.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: afguy on February 27, 2019, 12:23:28 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 27, 2019, 10:37:14 AM

I agree, I don't see the feds signing off on an interchange to benefit a private entity. Also, despite the power that the Augusta National may wield locally, even GDOT won't play ball with this plan. A feasibility study will need to be done, environmental studies, and interchange justification report. Also, I'm not sure residents of the area would want a new road coming through their backyards just to the sole benefit of the Augusta National.

Actually I have seen several interchanges built at the behest of private projects, the Union Centre Blvd, interchange off I-75 in West Chester, Ohio and the Polaris Parkway off i-71 in Westerville, Ohio both come to mind.

In each case they were built with a mix of private and public funds to spur development of vacant land.

While not identical, this proposed Augusta National interchange is a similar concept.

Also there is the case of I-180 in Illinois,  serving Greater Metropolitan Hennipen...

Bobby5280

I don't think a spur off I-20 is a good idea either. For one, I don't think it will solve the traffic issues. Not everyone attending the tournament is coming in via I-20 and Washington Road. A lot of the high rollers are probably flying in at Daniel Field two miles South of the course, if not the regional airport farther South. The locals can be coming in from anywhere.

The city of Augusta recently carved up a bunch of a park on the West side of Augusta National Golf Club to build a new street with a center turn lane (a modification of Berckmans Road). That improves the traffic flow off Washington Road.

A new spur off I-20 would only dodge 4 traffic lights on Washington Road. There's still going to be traffic bottlenecks in the "park" next to the golf course. The location where they're wanting to build this new I-20 interchange is really close to the Washington Road exit. The close proximity is bound to create traffic weaving issues. A good number of properties would have to be cleared to build something functional. It would be a really expensive endeavor just to benefit a very tiny (and wealthy) percentage of the general public.

wriddle082

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 28, 2019, 12:07:53 PM
I don't think a spur off I-20 is a good idea either. For one, I don't think it will solve the traffic issues. Not everyone attending the tournament is coming in via I-20 and Washington Road. A lot of the high rollers are probably flying in at Daniel Field two miles South of the course, if not the regional airport farther South. The locals can be coming in from anywhere.

The city of Augusta recently carved up a bunch of a park on the West side of Augusta National Golf Club to build a new street with a center turn lane (a modification of Berckmans Road). That improves the traffic flow off Washington Road.

A new spur off I-20 would only dodge 4 traffic lights on Washington Road. There's still going to be traffic bottlenecks in the "park" next to the golf course. The location where they're wanting to build this new I-20 interchange is really close to the Washington Road exit. The close proximity is bound to create traffic weaving issues. A good number of properties would have to be cleared to build something functional. It would be a really expensive endeavor just to benefit a very tiny (and wealthy) percentage of the general public.

Agreed!

Also keep in mind that all of the media that covers this event, which can almost be likened to Super Bowl coverage since international reporters are present covering players from their home countries, will most likely be staying at one of the many hotels at I-20 and Washington Road.  Not a whole lot of choices west of there except maybe at Bellair Road.  Those media members will take the normal route down Washington Road to the club, and would not benefit from this "private exit" .  I'm thinking this exit would be completely useless unless it provides access to Boy Scout and Berckmans Roads through the rest of the year.

Bobby5280

Depending on how the exit into the park next to the golf course is designed the entire private freeway spur could get completely snarled in traffic and maybe even back up traffic clear back onto I-20. They can't just have the little private freeway come to a dead end "T" style junction at Berckmans Road. The off ramps into that park will have to be designed more creatively in order to disperse a high volume of traffic efficiently.

brownpelican

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 28, 2019, 12:07:53 PM

Right. A lot of em are staying in South Carolina...as far north as Greenwood.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.