News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cover Songs in Music

Started by roadman65, October 20, 2012, 10:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on October 21, 2012, 05:36:12 AM
Tool did a great cover of Zeppelin's No Quarter. Suck it.
On the flip side, The Lovemongers did a really shitty cover of "The Battle of Evermore." THEY can suck it!

adventurernumber1

Quote from: michravera on March 09, 2018, 11:31:47 PM
Quote from: achilles765 on October 21, 2012, 04:34:25 AM
Quote from: bugo on October 21, 2012, 04:08:48 AM
Most Beatles covers are terrible. 

agreed.  that goes for Bob Dylan covers. I also don;t like when people cover Zeppelin and ruin it.  Zeppelin songs have one definite sound that should never be tampered with.

Mocedades covered "Let it Be" quite well.
Carpenters (maybe just Karen by herself) covered "Ticket to Ride" quite well.
Elton John and Billy Joel did a VERY good job of "Come Together".
I don't know if any of the Beatles actually ever recorded "You Won't See Me".

Quote from: bugo on March 10, 2018, 12:03:31 AM
The only two Beatles covers that I really like are Eddie Vedder's version of "Hide Your Love Away" and Motley Crue's version of "Helter Skelter". There are a few others that are OK but those are the only two that approach being as good as the originals.

One of the best Beatles covers I've ever heard is "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by Elton John. I cannot describe in words how incredible both this and the original song are. Heck, I even think John Lennon (formerly of The Beatles) provided backing vocals and guitar playing on this very Elton John cover, if I recall correctly. I was introduced to this just a few weeks ago actually (I did not know it existed before), and I sure am glad I was!  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: achilles765 on October 21, 2012, 04:34:25 AM
Quote from: bugo on October 21, 2012, 04:08:48 AM
Most Beatles covers are terrible. 

agreed.  that goes for Bob Dylan covers. I also don;t like when people cover Zeppelin and ruin it.  Zeppelin songs have one definite sound that should never be tampered with.
There are some good covers of Dylan songs, many of which became hits. Mr. Tambourine Man by the Byrds, and All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix come to mind.  Hendrix and The Stones both did nice cover versions of Like a Rolling Stone, and The Grateful Dead (including side projects and post-Jerry incarnations) include at least 1 Dylan tune in each of their shows, many versions of which have been epic.  Garcia once took Positively 4th St and turned it into a 17 1/2 minute monster.  As for Zeppelin, I have yet to hear a good cover.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Mr. Tambourine Man by William Shatner
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2018, 07:55:44 AM
Mr. Tambourine Man by William Shatner

This one is even better:

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

For years, Chicago played "Got To Get You Into My Life" as an encore tune. There's a version on the "Live in '75" album but it isn't as good as the 1974 Louisville King Biscuit version that's on Concert Vault.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

michravera

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 10, 2018, 01:07:30 AM
On the flip side, The Lovemongers did a really shitty cover of "The Battle of Evermore." THEY can suck it!
Not to mention Heart's "Rock and Rock" cover.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2018, 01:03:43 PM
For years, Chicago played "Got To Get You Into My Life" as an encore tune. There's a version on the "Live in '75" album but it isn't as good as the 1974 Louisville King Biscuit version that's on Concert Vault.

Do you mean Earth, Wind, & Fire?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2018, 05:58:31 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2018, 01:03:43 PM

Do you mean Earth, Wind, & Fire?

No, I mean Chicago.

Quote from: michravera on March 10, 2018, 05:26:17 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 10, 2018, 01:07:30 AM
Not to mention Heart's "Rock and Rock" cover.

Heart was known for awhile as the female Zeppelin. I've heard several versions of them doing "Rock and Roll" and they pull it off well. I've also heard them do "The Battle of Evermore" and it's pretty true to the original. Listen to "Dream of the Archer" and tell me you don't hear "Evermore" all over it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Stephane Dumas

I saw this clip showing exterpt of the original songs and the covers who was more famous than the originals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1uFn9uvP4I

bulldog1979

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 01, 2018, 10:27:21 PM
I saw this clip showing exterpt of the original songs and the covers who was more famous than the originals.

The video creator missed that "A Hazy Shade of Winter" was originally recorded by Simon & Garfunkel in 1966 before Bananarama covered it as "Hazy Shade of Winter" in 1987. Also, "I'm A Believer" was originally recorded by its songwriter, Neil Diamond, although his version was released after The Monkees.

abefroman329

Quote from: Brian556 on October 23, 2012, 09:56:38 PMThis is an interesting sub-topic. Artists who have covered their own songs
The Police planned to release an entire album of re-recorded songs, but never got further than Don't Stand So Close To Me.

Chances are, if it's a cover that was released before I turned 18, I didn't know it was a cover. I didn't know Because The Night was a cover when 10,000 Maniacs recorded it (and still don't know if it was originally recorded by Bruce Springsteen or Patti Smith). A female artist covered Sweet Jane for the Natural Born Killers soundtrack, I haven't seen the movie but the song got a lot of airplay on the local alt-rock station, and I didn't know it was a Lou Reed cover. I'm almost positive I didn't know Ugly Kid Joe's version of Cat's in the Cradle was a cover. And more obscurely, Don Henley covered Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat for the Leap of Faith soundtrack, and I didn't know it was at least 40 years old by then (the song first appeared in Guys and Dolls, but I don't know if it was written before then).

The only U2 song I've heard covered was Bullet the Blue Sky by Richard Cheese, unless you count the time someone assembled a bunch of GWB soundbites to form Sunday Bloody Sunday.

abefroman329

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 24, 2012, 09:56:58 AM
Quote from: Special K on October 23, 2012, 08:53:27 PM
Every version of "Whiskey in the Jar" is a cover.
And Metallica's is terrible.
I don't think it's awful, but Thin Lizzy's is better.

abefroman329

Metallica did a good cover of Tuesday's Gone, I can't remember if I've mentioned it here before or not.

abefroman329

Quote from: DandyDan on October 27, 2012, 06:18:32 AM
There's the album the Flaming Lips did where they redid all of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.  It was a particular favorite of one of my old friends who used to work in a record store, not long before they killed all record stores.
It's awful (and I liked Flaming Lips at the time). So is the reggae cover of DSotM I heard.

People need to stop covering it. You can't improve on it. It's already perfection.

abefroman329

If I never had to hear another cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, it'd be too soon.

jon daly

Cowboy Junkies was the band that did "Sweet Jane." They're more of an early alt-country band, IIRC, it was also on their album CAUTION HORSES.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: bulldog1979 on December 02, 2018, 12:22:13 AM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 01, 2018, 10:27:21 PM
The video creator missed that "A Hazy Shade of Winter" was originally recorded by Simon & Garfunkel in 1966 before Bananarama covered it as "Hazy Shade of Winter" in 1987.

That cover was recorded by The Banlges.

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on December 04, 2018, 06:15:52 AM
Cowboy Junkies was the band that did "Sweet Jane." They're more of an early alt-country band, IIRC, it was also on their album CAUTION HORSES.
Ah, thanks. Didn't sound significantly different than the other songs that were playing on the alt-rock radio station at the time.

jon daly

I think the CJs had a crossover appeal. That's how a rock guy like me was aware of them/

abefroman329

I don't know if there was an excessive amount of country/alternative rock and country/grunge crossover, or if there were just a lot of bands in Atlanta (where I was living at the time) that fit that description.

Mark68

As a Pink Floyd fan, I do appreciate it when other artists pay tribute to their influences by covering those influences' material. I'm also a Dream Theater fan, and I own the "official bootleg" album where they covered Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety (that's one CD, the other has them recording other Floyd classics, including "Echoes" (my favorite Floyd song), and "Welcome to the Machine"--which they recorded with Queensryche. I also enjoy Korn's attempt at "Another Brick in the Wall"--but I don't think they should have attempted to do all three versions in one song.

Speaking of Dream Theater, they released an EP in the mid-90s (probably the first DT recording I purchased) entitled A Change of Seasons. Side two is a live recording of a number of different cover songs, which includes "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" (Elton John), "Perfect Strangers" (Deep Purple), a medley of songs by Led Zeppelin ("The Rover"/"Achilles Last Stand"/"The Song Remains the Same"), and "The Big Medley" ("In the Flesh?"/"Carry On Wayward Son"/"Bohemian Rhapsody"/"Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"/"Cruise Control"--Dixie Dregs/"Turn It On Again").

Obviously, when I say this was probably the first DT purchase I made, I must've enjoyed it, since I purchased every single one of their albums (except their debut). I thought the Elton covers, in particular, were very well done.

Another cover song (that I didn't realize at the time was a cover) that I loved was Nirvana's unplugged cover of Bowie's "Man Who Sold the World".

I like cover songs, as long as they're not awful.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

kevinb1994

Quote from: Mark68 on December 04, 2018, 04:14:05 PM
As a Pink Floyd fan, I do appreciate it when other artists pay tribute to their influences by covering those influences' material. I'm also a Dream Theater fan, and I own the "official bootleg" album where they covered Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety (that's one CD, the other has them recording other Floyd classics, including "Echoes" (my favorite Floyd song), and "Welcome to the Machine"--which they recorded with Queensryche. I also enjoy Korn's attempt at "Another Brick in the Wall"--but I don't think they should have attempted to do all three versions in one song.

Speaking of Dream Theater, they released an EP in the mid-90s (probably the first DT recording I purchased) entitled A Change of Seasons. Side two is a live recording of a number of different cover songs, which includes "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" (Elton John), "Perfect Strangers" (Deep Purple), a medley of songs by Led Zeppelin ("The Rover"/"Achilles Last Stand"/"The Song Remains the Same"), and "The Big Medley" ("In the Flesh?"/"Carry On Wayward Son"/"Bohemian Rhapsody"/"Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"/"Cruise Control"--Dixie Dregs/"Turn It On Again").

Obviously, when I say this was probably the first DT purchase I made, I must've enjoyed it, since I purchased every single one of their albums (except their debut). I thought the Elton covers, in particular, were very well done.

Another cover song (that I didn't realize at the time was a cover) that I loved was Nirvana's unplugged cover of Bowie's "Man Who Sold the World".

I like cover songs, as long as they're not awful.

I'm with you there on the DT and Nirvana versions.

Mark68

Also, Tool's live version of "No Quarter" kicks serious ass.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

abefroman329

Quote from: Mark68 on December 04, 2018, 04:14:05 PMAnother cover song (that I didn't realize at the time was a cover) that I loved was Nirvana's unplugged cover of Bowie's "Man Who Sold the World".
I didn't either.  I also didn't know that The Wallflowers' cover of Heroes for the Godzilla soundtrack was a David Bowie cover.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.