News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-14 in Texas

Started by Grzrd, November 21, 2016, 05:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

See page 1 of the consultant solicitation for schematic/environmental work (also copied below)
https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/ppd/meetings/021522/procurement-plan.pdf

The alignment using Loop 363 in Temple is the selected option. While this alignment is less efficient from the east-west travel perspective, it probably serves local needs better than a more direct route. The project details says an extra lane in each direction is planned for I-35 on the multiplex section.
http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/202202-i14-temple.png
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

I have initially thought that I-14 would be extended along US 190 myself, but I agree with the fact there are more direct alignments. If the southern Temple bypass were to go through, would it be signed as I-x35, I-x14, or maybe remain or upgrade to a state route?
Renewed roadgeek

bwana39

Quote from: MaxConcrete on February 18, 2022, 11:52:37 PM

The alignment using Loop 363 in Temple is the selected option. While this alignment is less efficient from the east-west travel perspective, it probably serves local needs better than a more direct route. The project details says an extra lane in each direction is planned for I-35 on the multiplex section.

I wrote more but somehow it was deleted. The bottom line is the this whole project excepting the extra lane from Temple to Belton is just taking divided highway that is already mostly intact and converting to to fully controlled access. Not free but probably less expensive than greenfield construction.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

mvak36

Quote from: bwana39 on February 20, 2022, 06:59:56 PM
Quote from: MaxConcrete on February 18, 2022, 11:52:37 PM

I wrote more but somehow it was deleted. The bottom line is the this whole project excepting the extra lane from Temple to Belton is just taking divided highway that is already mostly intact and converting to to fully controlled access. Not free but probably less expensive than greenfield construction.

And will probably get built faster than having to do environmental studies, ROW, etc., It doesn't look like there's a good route to go directly east anyways since there's already development there.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

jbnv

I endorse this. I've passed through this area several times and used both the proposed I-14 route and FM 93 (the yellow line just south of the I-14 route). There's just not a good way to force I-14 through there without making use of the existing corridor.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Bobby5280

That modest upgrade is going to cost $350 million? The price would kind of make sense if the I-35/Loop-363 interchange was turned into a full directional stack. It looks like they're only going to build one pair of flyover ramps, leaving the other 6 movements to use the frontage road "volleyball."

longhorn

Interesting, I thought for sure they would bypass Temple but I guess not. So will I-35 be rebuilt from Belton I-14 interchange to Loop 360? I-35 is paved now between those two points, and it would be easy to just add a lane to the outside or take away the inside shoulder. Or will it be rebuilt with concrete like the rest of I-35 from Salado to Hillsboro? They might want to add a lane to Loop360/ I-14 in Temple while they are add it.

jbnv

Quote from: longhorn on February 21, 2022, 02:36:25 PM
I-35 is paved now between those two points

What part of I-35 isn't paved?  :-D
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Bobby5280

TX DOT seems pretty big on using asphalt on Interstate projects lately.

longhorn

I-35 rebuild has been and is being done with concrete.

Georgetown to San Antonio is pavement. The short stretch between Temple and Belton is pavement.

NE2

Quote from: jbnv on February 21, 2022, 02:41:39 PM
The main lanes from Hidalgo Street north to Washington Street in Laredo.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The Ghostbuster

But that portion isn't part of Interstate 35 nor is it even a freeway. However, I dislike the fact that they terminated Interstate 35 at Victoria St. and didn't continue it the final four blocks to the border crossing plaza.

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 21, 2022, 02:46:37 PM

Quote from: longhorn on February 21, 2022, 04:19:41 PM

Georgetown to San Antonio is pavement. The short stretch between Temple and Belton is pavement.

They are almost always concrete. The asphalt is just the driving surface. They almost all begin with concrete as the driving surface. Then, a few year down the line, they are resurfaced with asphalt. There is still concrete under.

Bobby5280

The I-820 and I-35W expansion projects in Fort Worth sure didn't look like any kind of concrete base slab went down under that asphalt.

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 22, 2022, 12:50:44 AM
The I-820 and I-35W expansion projects in Fort Worth sure didn't look like any kind of concrete base slab went down under that asphalt.

I said usually. There are exceptions.

Packed clay, asphalt seal layer (thin), concrete base, and then the driving surface. Sometimes there are layers of sand and caliche as well.

As an aside there are are temporary lanes that meet  totally different standards than the permanent ones. Some of the temporary ones are planned for years of use while the project slogs along.

In_Correct

So does that mean they are going to start adding pavement to Bridges next ??
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

yakra

Adding Bridges to Pavement.
Jeff's joining the band.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

texaskdog

Quote from: bwana39 on August 10, 2021, 10:19:04 PM
Quote from: sparker on August 10, 2021, 06:09:01 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 10, 2021, 05:15:29 PM
Well, that, and if you're a political leader in Houston or Austin, you've got a lot of stuff on your plate. The mayor of San Angelo probably has nothing better to do but try and bug members of Congress to build an Interstate through their town.

At least in Austin, they've got Franklin's brisket on their plates as well!  Seriously, that's a damn good point -- considering Houston planners are probably reeling from the Fed rejection of the I-45 reroute, and their Austin counterparts are simply dealing with the I-35 situation (cap? reroute? it's all too confusing!!!) as well as ever-increasing congestion in general.   The San Angelo mayor is probably on the phone to his Midland and/or Odessa colleagues on a regular basis trying to nail down both I-14 and the P2P -- just so somewhere down the line he can have a few of the problems plaguing Austin right now!

We were gonna do Franklin's but they took vacation the week we were down there. Decided on Schoepf's in Belton instead

Not worth waiting 3 hours for when there are equally good options.

longhorn

Quote from: bwana39 on February 21, 2022, 10:58:50 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 21, 2022, 02:46:37 PM

Quote from: longhorn on February 21, 2022, 04:19:41 PM

They are almost always concrete. The asphalt is just the driving surface. They almost all begin with concrete as the driving surface. Then, a few year down the line, they are resurfaced with asphalt. There is still concrete under.

I have seen that in certain areas, but not in this case. The stretch original configuration dates back to the mid 70s..........................Dang I am old.

The Ghostbuster

Jeff Bridges joining Pavement? Har Har.

longhorn

Quote from: texaskdog on February 22, 2022, 01:04:15 PM
Well, that, and if you're a political leader in Houston or Austin, you've got a lot of stuff on your plate. The mayor of San Angelo probably has nothing better to do but try and bug members of Congress to build an Interstate through their town.

At least in Austin, they've got Franklin's brisket on their plates as well!  Seriously, that's a damn good point -- considering Houston planners are probably reeling from the Fed rejection of the I-45 reroute, and their Austin counterparts are simply dealing with the I-35 situation (cap? reroute? it's all too confusing!!!) as well as ever-increasing congestion in general.   The San Angelo mayor is probably on the phone to his Midland and/or Odessa colleagues on a regular basis trying to nail down both I-14 and the P2P -- just so somewhere down the line he can have a few of the problems plaguing Austin right now!

We were gonna do Franklin's but they took vacation the week we were down there. Decided on Schoepf's in Belton instead

Schoepfs is a little pricey but good. Made the Texas Monthly lists some years ago as the one the best BBQ places in Texas.

dariusb

Quote from: NE2 on February 21, 2022, 04:27:34 PM
Quote from: jbnv on February 21, 2022, 02:41:39 PM
The main lanes from Hidalgo Street north to Washington Street in Laredo.
Isn't that crazy? You'd think with all of the money being spent on road projects across the state, you'd think that would've been taken care of long ago.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

bwana39

Quote from: In_Correct on February 22, 2022, 12:31:22 PM
So does that mean they are going to start adding pavement to Bridges next ??

Actually for years they did put asphalt on the bridges. They have since stopped and as a whole are milling it off of the ones that have it on them. It causes water to saturate the concrete and degrade the rebar.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 21, 2022, 12:24:13 PM
That modest upgrade is going to cost $350 million? The price would kind of make sense if the I-35/Loop-363 interchange was turned into a full directional stack. It looks like they're only going to build one pair of flyover ramps, leaving the other 6 movements to use the frontage road "volleyball."

What else could be in that project that I am unaware of?
Renewed roadgeek

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: texaskdog on February 22, 2022, 01:04:15 PM

Better options.  Franklin's is a stupid fad.  You stand in that line to be seen.  Like going to the Hollywood In-N-Out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.