News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

Los Angeles County is known as "100 cities in search of one" - Los Angeles. Actually 88 (or 89?) are incorporated municipalities. 5 of them are really small and relatively not fully residential. The cities of Industry (200 residents), as well Vernon (111 residents) near downtown L.A. are examples; and the private gated residential one square mile cities of Bradbury (1,000), Hidden Hills (1,850), and Rolling Hills (1,860). And the suburban cities of Bell, Bell Gardens, Cudahy, Huntington park and Maywood are tiny (around a square mile) but with very high population density.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

bing101

The Thomas fire in Ventura County its amazing to think that the fire size is approximately the same size as Los Angeles City Proper.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_San_Francisco,_California

South San Francisco, CA northern border does not touch the San Francisco city border but instead touches Daly City, CA border.

Also South San Francisco, CA is in San Mateo County, Plus San Francisco International Airport is in the South San Francisco/ San Bruno Area.

Rothman

Not the oddest of the odd, but, for some reason, I was taken off guard by the fact that Helsinki is further north than Juneau.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

California 41 between Stratford and Kettleman City would have been under the waters of Tulare Lake a century ago.  Most people today think the area is a desert or was always lush farm land.

jwolfer

Even though I know geography ( as most if not all of us on here) I am still surprised how far north Europe is compared to the US.. New York is the same latitude as Spain and Italy.. the UK is there same latitude as Labrador

Z981

ghYHZ

Quote from: jwolfer on December 27, 2017, 09:47:46 AM
Even though I know geography ( as most if not all of us on here) I am still surprised how far north Europe is...... the UK is there same latitude as Labrador
Z981

You'll find Palm Trees growing along the south coast of England.....but certainly not in Labrador!

kphoger

Quote from: bing101 on December 26, 2017, 05:54:25 PM

South San Francisco, CA northern border does not touch the San Francisco city border but instead touches Daly City, CA border.

I think East Chicago doesn't border Chicago, either.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

South Weber, UT is not in Weber County as the name suggests, but rather in Davis County. It used to be in Weber County, but the county line was moved north to the Weber River early on.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but Bernalillo NM is not in Bernalillo County, but is actually the county seat of Sandoval Co.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 27, 2017, 01:06:59 PM
South Weber, UT is not in Weber County as the name suggests, but rather in Davis County. It used to be in Weber County, but the county line was moved north to the Weber River early on.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but Bernalillo NM is not in Bernalillo County, but is actually the county seat of Sandoval Co.
On a similar note, Hamilton, OH isn't in Hamilton County, OH.

Also, Cherokee, AL is on the opposite side of the state from Cherokee County, AL.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jwolfer

Seminole FL is not in Seminole County.  Jackson County FL is almost 200 miles from Jacksonville.

This is not that uncommon

Z981

Brandon

I fail to see the strangeness.  West Chicago and North Chicago don't touch Chicago either.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on December 27, 2017, 01:20:27 PM

I fail to see the strangeness.  West Chicago and North Chicago don't touch Chicago either.

Or East Chicago, IN. Just separated by a skinny section of Hammond IN
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on December 27, 2017, 01:16:35 PM
Seminole FL is not in Seminole County.  Jackson County FL is almost 200 miles from Jacksonville.

Z981

Hell, there is a town in California called San Andreas which is up in the Sierras well to the east of the San Andreas Fault. 

jeffandnicole

Z981

I probably mentioned elsewhere that Gloucester City, NJ and Gloucester Twp, NJ are both in Camden County.  Both touch the border of Gloucester County.  But Gloucester City and Gloucester Twp don't touch each other. 

And while Gloucester City maintains a strong identity of itself, Gloucester Twp is rarely called by its township name.  It's usually known by its unincorporated communities.  And then in one oddity, the area of the town where the AC Expressway meets Cross Keys Road (Exit 41) is often referred to as Washington Twp...which officially has nothing to do with that area because it's a neighboring town in Gloucester County.

jwolfer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 27, 2017, 03:00:24 PM

Z981

I probably mentioned elsewhere that Gloucester City, NJ and Gloucester Twp, NJ are both in Camden County.  Both touch the border of Gloucester County.  But Gloucester City and Gloucester Twp don't touch each other. 

And while Gloucester City maintains a strong identity of itself, Gloucester Twp is rarely called by its township name.  It's usually known by its unincorporated communities.  And then in one oddity, the area of the town where the AC Expressway meets Cross Keys Road (Exit 41) is often referred to as Washington Twp...which officially has nothing to do with that area because it's a neighboring town in Gloucester County.
Originally Gloucester County included Camden and Atlantic Counties.. 

Was Gloucester City the original county seat?

Z981

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 27, 2017, 02:33:53 PM
Hell, there is a town in California called San Andreas which is up in the Sierras well to the east of the San Andreas Fault. 

That really puzzled me when I found it.

IIRC South Waverly PA is Northwest of Waverly PA... but just South of Waverly NY.

This also happens in my country. For example, Pozuelo de Alarcon, a suburb of Madrid, is nowhere near Alarcon, in Cuenca province about halfway between Madrid and Valencia. In fact I feel it should have been named Pozuelo de Alcorcon, as Alcorcon is another suburb of Madrid.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

Nevada County is in California and not in the State of Nevada.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on December 27, 2017, 03:55:10 PM

This is way too common. In addition to the earlier examples, there are a whole bunch of counties called Washington County.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

bing101

True also West Sacramento and Sacramento are in different counties. Like West Sacramento is in Yolo County and Sacramento is in Sacramento County.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on December 27, 2017, 03:58:17 PM

True also West Sacramento and Sacramento are in different counties. Like West Sacramento is in Yolo County and Sacramento is in Sacramento County.

Why does that matter? West New York, East St. Louis, and West Memphis are in different states from their namesake cities.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Brandon

Quote from: bing101 on December 27, 2017, 03:58:17 PM

Again, the strangeness escapes me.  Chicago is in Cook County, IL; West Chicago in DuPage County; North Chicago in Lake County, IL; and for added trivia, East Chicago is in Lake County, IN.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on December 27, 2017, 03:55:10 PM

But it is in the Sierra Nevada Range which makes it more sensible.  The county was also formed back in 1851 before Nevada was a state.

michravera

Quote from: jwolfer on December 27, 2017, 09:47:46 AM
Even though I know geography ( as most if not all of us on here) I am still surprised how far north Europe is compared to the US.. New York is the same latitude as Spain and Italy.. the UK is there same latitude as Labrador

Z981

Yeah. San Francisco and Washington are roughly the same latitude as Lisbon. To get as far south as LA or San Diego, you need to get into Africa. To get as far south as Miami or San Juan, you have to get seriously into Africa (like Aswan and Timbuktu, respectively)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.