News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NY 5/NY 16 in Buffalo?

Started by empirestate, January 08, 2012, 01:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

So what's the deal with these two touring routes through downtown Buffalo? I thought I knew where they were routed but there are a lot of variations being shown these days...have there been re-routes or are people just kind of making things up?

For NY 16, everything seems normal going southbound: start on Oak St. at South Division, then left on Seneca St., simple. However, Google has you starting on South Division at Ellicott (where NY 5 turns a corner) for one block to Oak St., then as above. But I think that's just because they want it to start at NY 5 instead of at itself/a reference route...

Northbound, as long as I've been aware the route split off of Seneca onto Swan St. because of one-ways. But Google and MapQuest have it staying on Seneca, which is two-way now (when did it change?). Then Google shows it turning north on Michigan Ave. back to Swan and resuming its usual routing: left on Swan to Ellicott and right one block to South Division, so that does indeed end at NY 5.

So my only question for NY 16 is when and if it was actually rerouted off of Swan for the most part. Recent NYSDOT documents don't show anything out of the ordinary.

As for NY 5, this one's trickier. Going eastbound there's no question, probably because it's the direction of inventory: from the Skyway you go right on Church, which becomes South Division St., then left on Ellicott, left two blocks on Goodell, and right on Main, bada bing. But westbound...there are several options:

Older NYSDOT maps/what I've always known: From Main St., bear right on Pearl, then right on Chippewa, left on Elmwood, and straight onto the Skyway. This routing is confirmed by the current (2007 vintage) Street View imagery. MapQuest also agrees with this.

Recent NYSDOT GIS data: Pearl St. to Chippewa, then left on Delaware, through Niagara Square (the east half of the square is labeled NY 384, suggesting a 5/384 overlap along Delaware) to Church St. Then, right on Church past Elmwood, take the SB I-190 ramp, barely bump the Interstate and get right off at the Skyway. Street View shows a "TO NY 5" sign on Church at Elmwood directing you straight towards 190, instead of left onto the Skyway, even though a left turn is permitted there.

Google Maps: Stay on Pearl to Church, then right, then left onto the Skyway. Not that I trust Google necessarily, but it has recently taken a leap forward in route accuracy.

And Wikipedia, citing Map Works 2008 (who at least used to be spot-on with this sort of thing) has it going from southbound Main St. east onto Tupper St. (presumably via the first block of Pearl, since the corresponding block of Main St. is one-way northbound) and then south on Ellicott to North Division, then right, becoming Church St., and thence onto the Skyway. (Interestingly, MapWorks sample image for its Buffalo map is from the 2007 edition and agrees with the first routing above. The Wikipedia cite is from the statewide map, however; although that map's downtown insets have always matched the city map version.)

So...anybody know what the heck is actually going on???

NE2

Bing also has some (more recent, judging by the building under construction at Delaware and Mohawk) street view imagery in Buffalo. Just going by signage, I'd say the following:
*5 east: Skyway-Church-South Division-Ellicott-Goodell-Main
*5 west: Main-Pearl-Chippewa-Elmwood-Skyway
*16 north: Swan-Ellicott (South Division)
*16 south: (South Division) Oak-Seneca

Does 16 south begin at NY 5? It would certainly make sense, and there should be signage to that effect, but I don't see any.

As for 5 west using Delaware, it's possible whoever made the GIS data misinterpreted the advance turn sign at Chippewa and Delaware. Or maybe it was improperly replaced by a normal arrow.

For those following along at home, you can see the routes mapped on OSM (wait for the the relations to load, especially NY 5):
NY 5: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.89&lon=-78.87&zoom=15&layers=M&relation=67765
NY 16: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.89&lon=-78.87&zoom=15&layers=M&relation=359174
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.