News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Texas: original FM/RM/Loop/Park shields

Started by NE2, January 13, 2015, 03:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

texaskdog

formulanone

That explains why Loops are denoted by hexagons on the Official TxDOT Highway map. (Or at least, the 2011 edition which is convienently not near me to prove the previous statement.)

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rte66man

Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2015, 07:59:23 PM
Quote from: rte66man on January 13, 2015, 07:51:11 PM
Where did you find that?
I gave the link. Can you find it?
Sorry, my old eyes didn't see it crammed to the bottom of the last photo.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Brian556

Here's some that I scanned from my 1953 Official Texas Highway Map.
Note the differences.

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on January 14, 2015, 12:37:18 AM
Here's some that I scanned from my 1953 Official Texas Highway Map.
Yep - there are some from that era in the shield gallery.

(PS: I think the URBAN 2857 there is a mockup, since there never was a UR 2857.)

usends

That first photo is great!  The guy is so confused, he can't simply interpret the sign while looking through his windshield.  No, he has to get out of the car, and get up real close... and it's still a head-scratcher.  Yet it seems like a pretty straightforward sign, which makes me think there must be many signs that the poor guy needs to stop for.  It must take forever to get anywhere...
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

texaskdog

Quote from: usends on January 14, 2015, 12:57:34 PM
That first photo is great!  The guy is so confused, he can't simply interpret the sign while looking through his windshield.  No, he has to get out of the car, and get up real close... and it's still a head-scratcher.  Yet it seems like a pretty straightforward sign, which makes me think there must be many signs that the poor guy needs to stop for.  It must take forever to get anywhere...

Just tell me how to get to Bandera!

NE2

Yeah, Bandera is the head-scratcher. FM 689 is now part of SH 173, and is the recommended truck route.

Road Hog

So when did the state outline FM markers come in? Had to be between 1953 and the mid 70s.

Brian556

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=TX19560691

The shield gallery says this is a 1956 spec.

The modern design was introduced around 1964. I have seen old newspaper articles from that year with pics of sign upgrades to modern standards.

( I couldn't insert this image for some reason. )

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.