News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 09:03:40 AM
Quote from: GaryV on Today at 08:57:38 AMI'm not so sure about rounding to the nearest dime. Part of the problem is that 1, 2, 3 and 4 cents go down; 6, 7, 8 and 9 cents round up. What about 5? Yes, I know there's a standard method for rounding 5; I'm just not sure people will accept it all the time. And bias will sneak into peoples' memories. "They round it up more often than they round it down." That's less likely when rounding to the nearest nickel.

New Zealand rounds to the nearest 10 cents, and 5 goes down.
Traffic Control / Re: Most absurd VMS messages
Last post by GaryV - Today at 09:00:55 AM
^ Maybe that's a clever subtle message. Motorcycles are hard to see, just like this font size.
Last post by GaryV - Today at 08:57:38 AM
I think people would adapt quite quickly to rounding cash transactions to the nearest 5 cents, so the penny should go away. And getting rid of the penny opens up a spot for $1 coins in cash tills.

A few people might wait for the total price to come up and decide whether to use cash or card. "$23.42. If I pay cash I'll save 2 cents because it will round down." That's not going to be in most people's thoughts.

I'm not so sure about rounding to the nearest dime. Part of the problem is that 1, 2, 3 and 4 cents go down; 6, 7, 8 and 9 cents round up. What about 5? Yes, I know there's a standard method for rounding 5; I'm just not sure people will accept it all the time. And bias will sneak into peoples' memories. "They round it up more often than they round it down." That's less likely when rounding to the nearest nickel.

I also don't see much value in the 50 cent piece. They mostly aren't used now; putting out 2 quarters instead of a half dollar isn't a big deal.
Sports / Re: 2024 NCAA Men's Basketball...
Last post by WillWeaverRVA - Today at 08:57:34 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 16, 2024, 08:58:07 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 16, 2024, 08:05:41 PMThe chain that started with SMU firing Rob Lanier ended today:

The chain:
1. Rob Lanier is fired from SMU
2. Andy Enfield goes from USC to SMU
3. Musselman goes from Arkansas to USC
4. John Calipari goes from Kentucky to Arkansas
5. Mark Pope goes from BYU to Kentucky
6. BYU hires Kevin Young, assistant coach of the Phoenix Suns

What if a college coach replaces Kevin Young?

Young was the highest paid assistant coach in the NBA so I imagine the Suns probably won't look for a college guy.
Mountain West / Re: Colorado
Last post by thenetwork - Today at 08:52:57 AM
As I've said before, some things that one CDOT district may do may not be done in others.

For example, there are no FYA installations anywhere in the Northwest District (Grand Junction,Glenwood, Steamboat, Montrose, Vail, Aspen), but are easily found elsewhere in the state.
Photos, Videos, and More / Re: Best of Road Pictures
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 08:47:21 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/12119046254
I was blessed to be able to see and photograph the old Louisiana Green state highway shields before they removed them all for the black on white shields that are the current norm.
Southeast / Re: Louisiana
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 08:11:11 AM
Does La 1 still implement the pre paid tolls on La 1 into Grand Isle? Or have they finally accepted the pay by plate system like other cash less tolls? 

I noticed that they removed the toll info signs in Larose and along La 3235.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 08:02:25 AM
Quote from: Tom958 on Today at 06:02:06 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 15, 2024, 12:00:30 PM
Quote from: roadfro on April 14, 2024, 08:55:20 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2024, 03:32:12 PMThe Exit Only for the right lane only?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/53647692480
Doesn't seem fitting for the way the lanes part from the mainline or that the ramp splits after departure.
Seems like it could be a temporary thing? Those lane lines don't exactly look like they are professionally painted for a permanent install...lines are crooked like a 3-year old drew 'em...

https://www.aaroads.com/ks/070/i-070-w-exit-419-3.jpg
Here is AARoads of the same exit minus temporary striping.  Still is odd description of the right lane exiting.

The current Streetview, November 2023, is more plausible: https://maps.app.goo.gl/DA3Fzwh72tYFraM88

Well they finally did it right.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/k1MVhZuBdfLaad848
This here in SE LA is not from a road agency, but an overzealous property owner who sure hates people using his street as a U Turn since LaDOTD severed the ramp to La 1 making La 24 literally a dead end now.  The state road agency needs to place a "No Outlet" sign and a TO La 1 shield at La 3235 which is the last legitimate turn along the state highway.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wqDEdMMY9qEfeTTo7
No Turns allowed, but the right lane is striped for right turns.
Last post by bwana39 - Today at 07:37:25 AM
I think some of you overthink this in the day of electronic transfers. I agree that at least the pennies and dollar bills should be dropped. The 1/2 dollar coin is of no particular worth. The coin is too large for the primary usages of coins today (vending machine and change back).

The 1/2 dollar was the first 20th century US coin that clearly had a value higher than its face value. The silver content used to be high enough that they were collectable for their metallurgical value. That has not been the case for over 50 years. People still collect them as opposed to spend them.

I think we should promote use of dollar coins. I think we have enough other denominations. I am unsure of the utility of the $2.00 bill. It doesn't really circulate because it does not fit in standard cash drawers. Perhaps it would do better if the $1.00 bills were gone.

$200 and $500 bills just add nothing to it. The $100. is not circulated very heavily except in gray and black market transactions and vanity use. By vanity use, I mean people whip out a $100 to look or feel important. The $50. should have wider usage than it does. It may fall victim of prohibitions of bills larger than a $20 in many (currently decreasing) retail locations.

The penny and dollar bill should be gone. The 50 cent piece as it is has little use. The jury is out on the nickel and dime.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.