News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Temporary BGSs

Started by MCRoads, August 13, 2022, 05:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

In Rochester, MN, on US 63, there appears to be a temporary BGS shown on satellite view. I can't find a street view, but it looks like an interestingly structure. Anyone else ever seen anything similar?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

wanderer2575

I don't know whether you are talking about just the signs or a temporary gantry structure.  I've never seen the latter.

If you're talking about temporary signs, I've seen some in Ohio.  For example (damn your eyes for the yellow-on orange):

It's not the norm, but I've seen temporary signs in Michigan.  Unlike Ohio, they've been in the normal white-on-green.  For example, when I-96 was closed between US-24 and I-275 in 2014:

MCRoads

I was specifically talking about temporary gantry structures, but signs are fine here too.

Didn't know that there were orange BGSs, I've seen LGSs be orange, but very infrequently, usually when a major traffic detour is required off the interstate.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Scott5114

Got a link to the satellite view?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

steviep24

OP must mean Rochester, MN. US 63 does go through there. US 63 doesn't go anywhere near NY state.

Scott5114

Quote from: steviep24 on August 13, 2022, 06:24:48 PM
OP must mean Rochester, MN. US 63 does go through there. US 63 doesn't go anywhere near NY state.

Yeah, I was gonna say something about that, but I assumed he meant NY 63. Do you have one of those?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

davewiecking

Quote from: MCRoads on August 13, 2022, 06:04:55 PM
Didn't know that there were orange BGSs, I've seen LGSs be orange, but very infrequently, usually when a major traffic detour is required off the interstate.

By definition, there can be no such thing as an orange BGS. It's a BOS. Ditto with orange LGS's; they're LOS's.

LilianaUwU

Here's some big orange signs near Pont Pierre-Laporte:

A-73 NB, exit 134 by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

A-73 SB, sortie 132 - 3 by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

A-73 SB, sortie 132 - 1 by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

steviep24

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 13, 2022, 06:36:34 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say something about that, but I assumed he meant NY 63. Do you have one of those?
We do but it's not a freeway.

webny99

Quote from: steviep24 on August 13, 2022, 07:06:16 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 13, 2022, 06:36:34 PM

We do but it's not a freeway.

And it doesn't go through Rochester, although you could make the case that it's the western boundary of Rochester's sphere of influence.

SkyPesos

Quote from: davewiecking on August 13, 2022, 06:38:30 PM

By definition, there can be no such thing as an orange BGS. It's a BOS. Ditto with orange LGS's; they're LOS's.
The "G"  in BGS and LGS stands for "green"  and not "guide" ? TIL.

odditude

Ned Weasel

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 13, 2022, 05:54:42 PM
I don't know whether you are talking about just the signs or a temporary gantry structure.  I've never seen the latter.

If you're talking about temporary signs, I've seen some in Ohio.  For example (damn your eyes for the yellow-on orange):

If Ohio can make temporary signs that look this good, why does Oklahoma have such a hard time making permanent signs that look this good?

That's a rhetorical question, if you couldn't tell.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kirbykart

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 13, 2022, 10:45:49 PM

The "G"  in BGS and LGS stands for "green"  and not "guide" ? TIL.
When I first saw the abbreviation BGS used I thought it meant Back-Ground Sign, and had no idea what LGS could mean.

Big John

Can be confusing as LOS is a traffic engineering abbreviation of "Level of Service".

davewiecking

Quote from: Big John on August 14, 2022, 12:29:28 PM

Can be confusing as LOS is a traffic engineering abbreviation of "Level of Service".

Context is everything. Never seen a Level of Service hanging off a gantry.  There's a thread about BBS's, which was intended to refer to computer bulletin boards, but also mentions Big Blue Signs. I personally would refer to the traffic density term as "LoS" , but that's probably just me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.