News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Freeway exits where the destination on the main sign is a commercial entity

Started by KCRoadFan, August 25, 2022, 10:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

For me, this is post number 750 - and, because 750 ml is the most common size of a bottle of wine, the number, in a road context, made me think of the exit in New Hampshire for the state liquor store, listed on the main exit sign (I believe on I-93 just north of the Massachusetts border).

That, in turn, made me wonder: where else might there be freeway exits in which the primary destination is a business or commercial entity of some sort? To qualify for the criteria of this post, the business name must appear in the text on the main sign, not on any of the supplementary signage or "blue signs"  leading up to the exit.

The two that come to mind for me are the exit for "Kalona Village Museum"  on US 218 in Iowa, just south of Iowa City, as well as the one for "Tamarack: The Best of West Virginia"  (a gift shop) on I-77/the Turnpike in Beckley. Anyway, I'm sure there must be a few other such signs throughout the country - where might they be? I'm eager to know.

1995hoo

Does it count if the single sign is half green and half brown? If so, Exit 98 on I-95 in Virginia might count–the green part of the sign lists VA-30 to Doswell and West Point and the other half of the sign is brown and lists the Kings Dominion amusement park.

Exit 1A on DC's I-695 is signed for South Capitol Street to Nationals Park.

The sign for Exit 3 on DC's I-395 used to list Verizon Center (later changed via a poor greenout job to say Capital One Arena), but that's gone now and the new sign simply says "12th Street Expressway."

Quite a few BGSs in the Orlando area list Disney World; some also list destinations within Disney World, such as exit signs on I-4 for EPCOT and Disney Springs (the former Downtown Disney) and for the Animal Kingdom.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Brings to mind Corporate Woods Blvd in Albany, NY on I-90, where the interchange was intended for the aborted I-687, but ended up serving an office park. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ran4sh

I-4 in Florida has an exit listing Sea World, when it should probably have the street name instead (Central Florida Pkwy).
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

jp the roadgeek

"GE Plant" on I-890 in Schenectady

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Avalanchez71

US 89

Exit 6 on I-85 in Georgia leads to "KIA Blvd" , which I guess is technically a road name but is obviously named after the Kia plant at that exit.

Exit 249C off 75/85 in Atlanta lists Williams St, "GWCC/Aquarium" , and "Mercedes-Benz Stadium"  as its three green-sign destinations.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

How about Xerox Area on NY 104 here in Webster? Oddly, it's only posted on WB signage.

webny99

"Mall" is also used in a few locations here, though it's not specific to one business.

MATraveler128

I-90 in Boston at Exit 133 uses "Prudential Center"  with no mention of MA 9 (Huntington Ave) at all.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kirbykart

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 25, 2022, 10:04:08 PM
For me, this is post number 750 - and, because 750 ml is the most common size of a bottle of wine, the number, in a road context, made me think of the exit in New Hampshire for the state liquor store, listed on the main exit sign (I believe on I-93 just north of the Massachusetts border).
There's also something like that on I-95 in NH. There's an extra tab on the main exit sign, or maybe it was the gore sign, that directs you to a liquor store. I believe it is Exit 6 in Portsmouth.

hotdogPi

There isn't one on I-93 just north of the border; it's farther north (near I-89). Both the one on I-93 and the one on I-95 are on segments where you're on a tolled portion of the road.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jmacswimmer

PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh comes to mind as you come off the Fort Pitt Bridge - Heinz Field & PNC Park, however, don't make the cut & instead are lumped in with "North Shore".

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 25, 2022, 10:22:55 PM
Does it count if the single sign is half green and half brown? If so, Exit 98 on I-95 in Virginia might count–the green part of the sign lists VA-30 to Doswell and West Point and the other half of the sign is brown and lists the Kings Dominion amusement park.

Similarly, exit 243A on I-64 in VA is half green and half brown - "TO US 60" in green on the top, and Busch Gardens in brown on the bottom.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

wanderer2575

The I-75 exits to M-10 in downtown Detroit show TCF Center as the southbound control.  (It's since been renamed Huntington Place, but that won't fit on a sign patch.)

The M-10 exits to Northland Mall in Southfield, although the mall has been gone for years.

kirbykart

Quote from: 1 on August 26, 2022, 10:17:22 AM
the one on I-95 are on segments where you're on a tolled portion of the road.
No, the one I'm thinking of is on the free portion of the road through Portsmouth. It's a tab added to the exit sign. The one you are most likely thinking of is the exit directly to a liquor store.
This is what I'm referring to.

SidS1045

NYThruway exit 6A:  Stew Leonard Drive.  (Stew Leonard's is a small NY-area grocery chain.)
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kphoger

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 11, 2010, 09:03:52 AM
Let's not forget exit 6A from the New York Thruway...Stew Leonard Drive.

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 27, 2014, 10:19:57 PM
Stew Leonard Drive...exit 6A of the New York Thruway in Yonkers.

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 26, 2022, 01:09:43 PM
NYThruway exit 6A:  Stew Leonard Drive.  (Stew Leonard's is a small NY-area grocery chain.)

That's the name of the road.  What should they have put on the sign instead?

https://goo.gl/maps/CzSpS8Sjpv7wmi719
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ted$8roadFan

IIRC, Exit 14 off of I-93 - now Columbia Road, South Boston/Dorchester - used to reference the JFK Library on the exit signs. According to GSV, the state replaced the signage around 2013-14.

zachary_amaryllis

What about the Denver West/Colorado Mills exit on I-70 in ... what is it, Golden?

Not entirely sure, but isn't Colorado Mills a mall? Other Colorado Guy?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on August 26, 2022, 02:27:23 PM
What about the Denver West/Colorado Mills exit on I-70 in ... what is it, Golden?

Not entirely sure, but isn't Colorado Mills a mall? Other Colorado Guy?

Assuming you're talking about me  :), on US6, the exit is to Denver West which is a mall. (It used to be called Colorado Mills so that's why the road is Colorado Mills Blvd.)

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CtrlAltDel

Does this count?

(Drury Lane here is a theater, not a street.)
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Bruce

WA 526 has this ramp for Boeing Receiving (as in just the freight docks for the Boeing plant): https://goo.gl/maps/XfsuLBadu5EkQsP58

I-5's Madison Street exit has the convention center (with its former logo): https://goo.gl/maps/BUreyq6LcTy1aQ8U8

I-90 gives you the choice of two stadiums: https://goo.gl/maps/DUtxc9c1wE81oStaA

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.