Proper nouns on warning signage

Started by webny99, January 17, 2023, 02:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

In Ontario, NY, here is an advance warning sign for Casey Park which specifies the proper name of the park:
https://goo.gl/maps/nRAVrkhiTWVrAssL7

What other examples can you think of where warning signage (generally including all yellow signage) contains a proper noun?

roadfro

There's probably not many examples of this particular type, since this sign should have been a white-on-green guide sign...

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

webny99

Quote from: roadfro on January 19, 2023, 11:36:05 AM
There's probably not many examples of this particular type, since this sign should have been a white-on-green guide sign...

In most cases it would be the sideways "T" diagram warning sign, possibly with a supplementary "PARK" plaque underneath. I'm not sure why they thought it was necessary to do all text in this case, but I thought it was interesting and possibly a rarity.

Henry

Quote from: webny99 on January 19, 2023, 03:38:53 PM
Quote from: roadfro on January 19, 2023, 11:36:05 AM
In most cases it would be the sideways "T" diagram warning sign, possibly with a supplementary "PARK" plaque underneath. I'm not sure why they thought it was necessary to do all text in this case, but I thought it was interesting and possibly a rarity.
OTOH, if the "+" diagram warning sign were to be used denoting a cross street, the "PARK" plaque would include an arrow pointing in the direction of it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JoePCool14

In Illinois, it is actually the standard to put proper nouns on warning signage. In most states, you might see a green sign like this:

Michigan Ave
NEXT SIGNAL

But in Illinois, you get this. You'll see this for signals ahead, stops ahead, intersections. They also will post warning signage for all sorts of things that should be signed with either green or brown signage. Usually, these ones are not proper nouns though.

Here's one on IL-60. "CANOE LAUNCH ENTRANCE", in case it's too blurry to read.
Here's another one on IL-72. "CAMP ENTRANCE". I'm not sure why that needs a yellow sign. There's also a "CEMETERY ENTRANCE" nearby.

I've read in an old Illinois signing manual specifically stating that these kinds of signs should only be used where the warning is necessary. Not for guidance. Looks like IDOT D1 threw that one out.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Big John

kalvado

There was a sign "Canaan toll booths ahead" where free segment of I-90 becomes toll Thruway west of Albany.
That "Canaan" confused me for a while!

US 89

Quote from: Big John on January 20, 2023, 08:14:22 AM
^^ Georgia also does that.

They'll do it for more than just traffic lights, too. Upcoming 4-way and even some 3-way unsignalized intersections will also get that treatment, particularly in rural areas.

formulanone

This sign is no longer there, but leaving the rental car station at Detroit Metropolitan Airport had this sign which confused me at first...

BURTON DOES NOT STOP

...someone needs to have a word with Burton!

elsmere241

Quote from: formulanone on January 20, 2023, 10:32:02 AM
This sign is no longer there, but leaving the rental car station at Detroit Metropolitan Airport had this sign which confused me at first...

BURTON DOES NOT STOP

Harding Place at Belle Meade Boulevard in Belle Meade (satellite city of Nashville-Davidson, TN) had (has?) a sign saying "Belle Meade Blvd. does not stop."  My mistaken impression as a child was that it meant it went all the way around the world.

J N Winkler

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 20, 2023, 07:57:50 AMI've read in an old Illinois signing manual specifically stating that these kinds of signs should only be used where the warning is necessary. Not for guidance. Looks like IDOT D1 threw that one out.

Which manual was that?  (District 1 has its own signing and marking manual, available for download through a part of the IDOT website that is dedicated to district-specific standards, but it focuses primarily on freeway guide signs.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JoePCool14

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 20, 2023, 04:32:39 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 20, 2023, 07:57:50 AMI've read in an old Illinois signing manual specifically stating that these kinds of signs should only be used where the warning is necessary. Not for guidance. Looks like IDOT D1 threw that one out.

Which manual was that?  (District 1 has its own signing and marking manual, available for download through a part of the IDOT website that is dedicated to district-specific standards, but it focuses primarily on freeway guide signs.)

The Illinois MUTCD. Best I can tell, it's dated from 1973. It's an old hard copy that I saved during an office clear-out at work, along with a couple old versions of the Green Book. I did save a District 1 Traffic Signal Design Guidelines manual. However, the general Illinois MUTCD, which I'm referring to, doesn't have anything specifically referring to D1.

Here's the section in question. I think my favorite part is how it mentions drive-in theaters.

J N Winkler

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 20, 2023, 04:52:17 PMThe Illinois MUTCD. Best I can tell, it's dated from 1973. It's an old hard copy that I saved during an office clear-out at work, along with a couple old versions of the Green Book. I did save a District 1 Traffic Signal Design Guidelines manual. However, the general Illinois MUTCD, which I'm referring to, doesn't have anything specifically referring to D1.

Here's the section in question. I think my favorite part is how it mentions drive-in theaters.

[image snipped]

Many thanks!  These old state MUTCDs are like pirate treasure.

There likely was also a baby SHS (typically even harder to find) that gave design details for the allowed legend variations.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wanderer2575

This is on the Betsie Valley Trail east of Frankfort, MI:

This was on northbound US-127 near Addison, MI until a sign replacement project several years ago:

Big John

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 21, 2023, 12:41:04 PM

Kids are angry with the adults?  :bigass:

kalvado

Quote from: Big John on January 21, 2023, 12:47:57 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 21, 2023, 12:41:04 PM

Kids are angry with the adults?  :bigass:
Maybe MI-115 is a locally famous bar, and families (including children) have to carry out their adult family members?

machias

Quote from: kalvado on January 20, 2023, 08:16:51 AM
There was a sign "Canaan toll booths ahead" where free segment of I-90 becomes toll Thruway west of Albany.
That "Canaan" confused me for a while!

There was also a "Lackawanna Toll Booths". Both signs with the name of the toll booth appeared in the late 1980s, IIRC

paulthemapguy

We're big on the practice of affixing yellow street name placards underneath yellow diamonds warning of upcoming intersections. The whole state of Illinois is big on it; I've seen it used rampantly across Indiana and western Ohio.  It's probably because these regions are so flat, and the roads are so straight, that the greatest danger of crashing comes from intersections rather than horizontal or vertical curves.  Here's an instance of one of these signs, which is interesting to me because it employs the use of an ampersand to indicate the concurrency of US Routes:

2510385 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 25, 2023, 09:32:26 AM
We're big on the practice of affixing yellow street name placards underneath yellow diamonds warning of upcoming intersections. The whole state of Illinois is big on it; I've seen it used rampantly across Indiana and western Ohio.  It's probably because these regions are so flat, and the roads are so straight, that the greatest danger of crashing comes from intersections rather than horizontal or vertical curves.  Here's an instance of one of these signs, which is interesting to me because it employs the use of an ampersand to indicate the concurrency of US Routes:

2510385 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

My biggest issue with these signs is that they're often too small to read at the intended speed. I've seen plaques like this using 4-inch letters in Series B on a road with a speed limit of 45 and 3 lanes in each direction.

If they're sized right, I have no problem with them.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 25, 2023, 10:41:31 AM
My biggest issue with these signs is that they're often too small to read at the intended speed. I've seen plaques like this using 4-inch letters in Series B on a road with a speed limit of 45 and 3 lanes in each direction.

The street name placards in Will County used to be 6 inches tall overall with 4-inch capital letters.  They were measly and pathetic  :)  I may or may not have had a hand in insisting we go with a taller placard with bigger lettering.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

roadfro

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 25, 2023, 10:59:43 AM

The street name placards in Will County used to be 6 inches tall overall with 4-inch capital letters.  They were measly and pathetic  :)  I may or may not have had a hand in insisting we go with a taller placard with bigger lettering.

That's a positive change. Good job!

Nevada DOT used to use white-on-green street name signs underneath an intersection warning sign. Since the 2009 MUTCD stipulated black-on-white placards now, NDOT has changed over as signs have needed replacement or paving projects revamp signage. (Example before and after, via StreetView.) I think the green signs were much easier to read and wish that hadn't changed–it probably didn't help that the newer signs are also mixed-case, which isn't as easy to read in black-on-yellow as it is in white-on-green.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

JoePCool14

Nice. Maybe we can convince Cook County to increase the size of theirs! (I'm sure they won't, they have no money)

kalvado

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 25, 2023, 03:14:55 PM

Nice. Maybe we can convince Cook County to increase the size of theirs! (I'm sure they won't, they have no money)
A you still talking about sign size?

JoePCool14

Quote from: kalvado on January 25, 2023, 03:32:25 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 25, 2023, 03:14:55 PM

A you still talking about sign size?

Size of the signs, and the letters on said signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.