News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 07, 2023, 10:25:57 AM
Quote from: seicer on April 07, 2023, 09:19:13 AM
Kentucky doesn't have a work zone speed limit that is in effect only when workers are present or when work is ongoing. That is something long done in West Virginia (although those blinking LEDs atop the work zone speed limit signs can be hard to see) and more recently done in Ohio (giant LED bulbs that flash). That would be great to see in my home state as some of those work zones are many, many miles long.
The problem is even with the "when flashing" , they often seem to flash when there's visibly no work. Or it's hard to tell if they're flashing or not.

There may be times when a work zone speed limit is in effect, even if there is no work. For instance, no one should be going 70 MPH through the work zones in Huntington-Barboursville WV even though no work may be ongoing.

hbelkins

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on April 08, 2023, 06:42:36 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 07, 2023, 10:31:44 AM
The upgrade has been fully complete for around 2 years now, and it is still marked with a "work zone"  55 mph speed limit. There is zero work occurring. It has a 70 mph design speed and is a rural 6 lane interstate highway (I-69) design.

This reminds me of the Mountain Parkway in southeastern Kentucky, which was originally made with a 4 lane 70 mph section and a 2 (plus truck climbing lanes) lane 55 mph section. Most of the 2 lane section has been expanded to 4 lane, seemingly with a 70 mph design speed. The speed limit is STILL 55 mph, and it's SERIOUSLY enforced. Absolute boon for speeding ticket revenue and following the legal speed limit feels like driving a farm tractor through molasses.

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 08, 2023, 10:58:51 AM
^ Instances like this are ridiculous IMO and should not be allowed, but anything for revenue...

The road was reconstructed to a 4 lane rural freeway with a 70 mph design speed, but the DOT for some reason refuses to post a proper speed limit. It's been open for quite a few years now, at least towards the eastern end. I could see them wanting to wait until the entire road is widened, but it's still annoying.

Actually, the new four-lane portions are signed for 70 mph now.

The speed limit was 70 mph on the original four-lane section (I-64 to Exit 43), then 65 mph on the four-lane portion between exits 43 and 46, then 55 mph on the "super-2" section.

The original thinking was not to raise the speed limit to 70 mph on the four-lane portions in order to keep from having a lot of changing speed zones, but that decision was changed, and now all the completed four-lane portions are signed for 70 mph.

I used to get complaints about the low speed limit, but recently I got an email from someone not happy with the 70 mph posting, and urging us to cut it back to 60 or 65 mph.

As for speed enforcement, I've never really noticed it, although cops are really enforcing the 45 mph work zone limit along the under-construction portion between exits 46 and 57. I tried to keep my speed between 60-62 on the two-lane section, and would routinely get passed anytime there was a passing lane or a straight stretch marked with a broken yellow line. It was rare that I saw a cop, or someone pulled over.

One thing that jumps out at me, though, is that for all the effort that's being put into getting the parkways in the western part of the state signed as interstates, no one seems interested in doing it for the Mountain Parkway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2023, 08:32:46 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on April 08, 2023, 06:42:36 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 07, 2023, 10:31:44 AM
The upgrade has been fully complete for around 2 years now, and it is still marked with a "work zone"  55 mph speed limit. There is zero work occurring. It has a 70 mph design speed and is a rural 6 lane interstate highway (I-69) design.

This reminds me of the Mountain Parkway in southeastern Kentucky, which was originally made with a 4 lane 70 mph section and a 2 (plus truck climbing lanes) lane 55 mph section. Most of the 2 lane section has been expanded to 4 lane, seemingly with a 70 mph design speed. The speed limit is STILL 55 mph, and it's SERIOUSLY enforced. Absolute boon for speeding ticket revenue and following the legal speed limit feels like driving a farm tractor through molasses.

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 08, 2023, 10:58:51 AM
^ Instances like this are ridiculous IMO and should not be allowed, but anything for revenue...

The road was reconstructed to a 4 lane rural freeway with a 70 mph design speed, but the DOT for some reason refuses to post a proper speed limit. It's been open for quite a few years now, at least towards the eastern end. I could see them wanting to wait until the entire road is widened, but it's still annoying.

The speed limit was 70 mph on the original four-lane section (I-64 to Exit 43), then 65 mph on the four-lane portion between exits 43 and 46, then 55 mph on the "super-2" section.

The original thinking was not to raise the speed limit to 70 mph on the four-lane portions in order to keep from having a lot of changing speed zones, but that decision was changed, and now all the completed four-lane portions are signed for 70 mph.

I used to get complaints about the low speed limit, but recently I got an email from someone not happy with the 70 mph posting, and urging us to cut it back to 60 or 65 mph.

As for speed enforcement, I've never really noticed it, although cops are really enforcing the 45 mph work zone limit along the under-construction portion between exits 46 and 57. I tried to keep my speed between 60-62 on the two-lane section, and would routinely get passed anytime there was a passing lane or a straight stretch marked with a broken yellow line. It was rare that I saw a cop, or someone pulled over.

One thing that jumps out at me, though, is that for all the effort that's being put into getting the parkways in the western part of the state signed as interstates, no one seems interested in doing it for the Mountain Parkway.

Pfft.  I-764, an Interstate spur to, where, exactly?  Salyersville? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2023, 08:32:46 PM

Glad to hear the speed limits were finally adjusted for the new 4 lane sections. When I went to Pikeville in late 2021, everything after the original 4 lane section was 55 even if it was widened. When I mention it was heavily enforced, I mean that because...it was enforced on me.  :bigass:. But it sounds like it's a lot more reasonable now.

I am also surprised there hasn't been any push to put an interstate designation on the Mountain Parkway. I would think that there would be interest in it for the sake of giving interstate access to Southeastern Kentucky, but I guess it isn't considered a big deal like in Western Kentucky.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Rothman

Let's just say that my cousins from deep Floyd County say that there are stretches of the Mountain Parkway that they're wary of, since that's where the real "crazy hicks" live...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ibthebigd

I would guess Salyersville would be the hold up for an Interstate designation.

SM-G996U

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on April 09, 2023, 08:51:43 AM
Let's just say that my cousins from deep Floyd County say that there are stretches of the Mountain Parkway that they're wary of, since that's where the real "crazy hicks" live...

There aren't that many residences that close to the highway between Campton and Salyersville. And most of the road has good cell service now if anyone broke down.

Quote from: ibthebigd on April 09, 2023, 09:19:08 AM
I would guess Salyersville would be the hold up for an Interstate designation.

The interstate designation could extend all the way to the US 460 intersection, but even if Restaurant Row was limited access, the proposed new construction is going to end at the five-lane portion of KY 114 that was widened in the early 2000s. There won't be a freeway extending all the way to US 23.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jrStudios

Alright, so I did some digging into the 1980s KY highway guides. Do you want to know why the oldest ky highway signs are not that old? This is because Kentucky did a statewide highway sign replacement program in 1987. All highway guide signs were replaced. Does anyone know anyway to find photos of pre-1987 signs? Let me know!

bandit957

Quote from: jrStudios on April 11, 2023, 05:06:11 PM
Alright, so I did some digging into the 1980s KY highway guides. Do you want to know why the oldest ky highway signs are not that old? This is because Kentucky did a statewide highway sign replacement program in 1987. All highway guide signs were replaced. Does anyone know anyway to find photos of pre-1987 signs? Let me know!

If you mean the regular shields, I do remember one day around 1987 when there was a stretch of road in my area where all the shields were suddenly replaced. But they missed a few older shields, and those remained until not that long ago.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jrStudios

Quote from: bandit957 on April 11, 2023, 05:09:24 PM
If you mean the regular shields, I do remember one day around 1987 when there was a stretch of road in my area where all the shields were suddenly replaced. But they missed a few older shields, and those remained until not that long ago.
Not just that but full on signs. No button copies, nothing! The shields remained until like 2016, I saw that myself. But the green signs, those were all replaced. I want us to find pre-1987 KY Highway guide signs.

bandit957

Quote from: jrStudios on April 11, 2023, 05:16:02 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on April 11, 2023, 05:09:24 PM
Not just that but full on signs. No button copies, nothing! The shields remained until like 2016, I saw that myself. But the green signs, those were all replaced. I want us to find pre-1987 KY Highway guide signs.

From 1976:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di37183

I don't know the date here, but likely pre-1987:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di80915

Probably late 1960s:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di60319

1977:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di00774

1981:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di15403

1974:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di38213

1980:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di55424

jrStudios

Any for Jefferson County?

bandit957

Quote from: jrStudios on April 11, 2023, 07:40:50 PM
Any for Jefferson County?

I don't remember seeing any for Jefferson County. I may have had one somewhere a long time ago.

jrStudios

This was the Kenton library. LFPL's archives are really bad to navigate. However I did see 1 old watterson expressway sign likely from the early 60s. Can you help find some old Louisville signs from pre-1987? Especially for the western part of I-264 prior to 2003.

jrStudios

The part of the Highway Plan in question

jrStudios

A recap for Sign Theory.

Sign Theory is a set of theories involving sign replacements around the countries.

For right now, Sign Theory is the theory that Kentucky replaced all highway guide signs on major interstates from 1985 to 1990. Evidence suggests this via KY Highway plans., as shown in the prior post.

If you want me to dig into Indiana and create their Sign Theory let me know.

seicer

Some of those replacements included button-copy, too!

Kentucky covered many of its old signs with sheet panels, too. An example is this old and deteriorating gem in Shelbyville: https://goo.gl/maps/NzpVwjgBUobEAQVa7

bandit957

Around here, I've always considered button copy an Ohio thing but not a Kentucky thing. However, there was an older button copy sign on I-75 for the Buttermilk Pike exit until not that long ago.

jrStudios

Quote from: bandit957 on April 13, 2023, 09:22:31 AM
Around here, I've always considered button copy an Ohio thing but not a Kentucky thing. However, there was an older button copy sign on I-75 for the Buttermilk Pike exit until not that long ago.

Now I am kind of unsure about Sign Theory upon hearing this.

GCrites

Quote from: seicer on April 13, 2023, 09:18:11 AM
Some of those replacements included button-copy, too!

Kentucky covered many of its old signs with sheet panels, too. An example is this old and deteriorating gem in Shelbyville: https://goo.gl/maps/NzpVwjgBUobEAQVa7

Well, that gives Springfield at least something to crow about.

plain

Didn't someone post one of the vintage huge signs from the Mountain Pkwy somewhere on the forum not long ago?
Newark born, Richmond bred

seicer

I did - I am not sure if they were original signs to the parkway's opening in the 1960s, but some were certainly sheet panel covers for the originals.

wriddle082

There were button copy guide signs all along the lower half of of New Circle Rd in Lexington that lasted, I think, all the way into the 00's.  They were present for the US 68 Harrodsburg Rd exit, the US 27 Nicholasville Rd exit, and the KY 1974 Tates Creek Rd exit, and possibly also for the US 25/421 Richmond Rd exit.  The Alumni Dr exit never had these, as I believe that exit was first built in the early 80's and those signs likely dated back to the 70's.  When exit numbers were added to New Circle Rd, these button copy signs were simply augmented with non button copy exit tabs.  No attempt was made to reface the main button copy sign body.

jrStudios

Sign Theory is mainly renovated to I-64,24,65 and 75.  Maybe I-71?
:hmmm:

amroad17

Quote from: jrStudios on April 14, 2023, 06:47:26 AM
Sign Theory is mainly renovated to I-64,24,65 and 75.  Maybe I-71?
:hmmm:
I-71 has had 1 major sign replacement that I know of--and may have had one in the 1980's; that I do not know.  The original signage was put up upon completion c. 1968-69.  The major one I know of occurred around 2000-01, when most, if not all, guide signs, gore signs, and distance signs were changed (using Highway Gothic font).  Since then, some signs have been changed to the Clearview font, however not on an entire I-71 system basis.
Quote from: bandit957 on April 13, 2023, 09:22:31 AM
When I first moved to Northern Kentucky in late 1994, the only Kentucky button copy sign I saw was at the Erlanger interchange for KY 236 EAST (184A).  I believe the sign was at the gore for 184A, although it could have been up on the prior sign at the 184B gore.

There were button copy signs on I-275 EB just before the Combs-Hehl Bridge for US 52 (at the 1 MILE advance sign) and for an auxiliary sign for Coney Island but I believe they were Ohio installs and not Kentucky ones.  They have long been since replaced.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.