News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnewkirk77

Looks like the Natcher Bridge is going to get an overlay next spring. Copied from KYTC D2's Facebook page:

Measurements to be Collected at Natcher Bridge in Daviess County on US 231 on Thursday, Aug. 11

Motorists are encouraged to take alternate routes

MADISONVILLE, Ky. (August 10, 2022) — A contractor plans to close the slow lanes of the Northbound and Southbound directions at US 231 at the Natcher Bridge (approximately 14 miles to the state line) on Thursday, August 11.
This effort is being done to allow the contractor to gather measurements of the bridge. The data collected may be used for a bridge overlay later in the spring.
This task is scheduled to begin approximately at  9:00 am and continue through to 3:00 pm.
Drivers are encouraged to seek alternate routes while this work is addressed.
Timely traffic advisories for the 11 counties of KYTC Highway District 2 are available by going to www.facebook.com/kytcdistrict2. You do not have to be a Facebook member to access this page

hbelkins

Contract awarded today for widening of I-75/I-64 between the Paris Pike (US 27/68) and Newtown Pike (KY 922) exits. It will include some bridge work on the Paris Pike overpass and a sound wall along the widened portion. No ROW needs to be purchased so I'm figuring they'll just add a lane to the outside of each carriageway with "exit only" lane drops.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

plain

Wouldn't the Russell Cave Rd overpass need to be rebuilt also or are they going to just squeeze the lane through there with a minimal shoulder?
Newark born, Richmond bred

Georgia Guardrail

Both Russell Cave and Bryan Station Road bridges over I-64/I-75 would need to be replaced and widened I would think.

seicer

Both bridges are being retained, with just shoulders being narrowed.

https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictSeven/Pages/I64-I75-Widening-Project.aspx

Tom958

Quote from: hbelkins on August 23, 2022, 09:01:36 PM
Contract awarded today for widening of I-75/I-64 between the Paris Pike (US 27/68) and Newtown Pike (KY 922) exits. It will include some bridge work on the Paris Pike overpass and a sound wall along the widened portion. No ROW needs to be purchased so I'm figuring they'll just add a lane to the outside of each carriageway with "exit only" lane drops.

No shoulders under the Russell Cave Road bridge, then.

seicer

Western Kentucky Parkway upgrade study has been released: https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/Western_Kentucky_Parkway_Final_Report.pdf

This supports efforts to renumber the remainder of the Western Kentucky Parkway from I-65 to I-165. I actually forgot how rural much of this route is - and how widely spaced the exits are. Proposed work involves widening the inside shoulder to a consistent 4' minimum, increasing superelevations, adding or replacing guardrails, replacing metal bridge railings, minor widening of bridges, replacing bridges or lowering pavements to achieve vertical clearance, widening outside shoulders to 12', adding cable median barriers, increasing accel./decel. lengths on three ramps, increasing lane widths on a cloverleaf off-ramp, increasing control of access (right-of-way), and major reconstruction of Exit 137 with I-65.

-

AA Highway/KY 9 scoping study for improvements in the vicinity of I-275: https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/6-448%20KY%209%20Scoping%20Study_Final_Report%208-1-22.pdf

74/171FAN

As long as you only have one lane exiting for I-471 NB from I-275 EB east of here, I am unsure how improving the KY 9 interchange will alleviate any congestion.

Last year, I drove I-275 WB in the area on Sunday Evening and I-275 EB was backed up on the hill towards I-471 NB as traffic was told to avoid the Brent Spence Bridge due to lane closures for construction.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

seicer

This more or less alleviates issues for westbound AA Highway to westbound I-275 travelers where the queue backs up onto the mainline. The short-term plan is to simply add a longer turn lane but the long-term plan is to build a dedicated exit ramp for that movement.

The other issue deals with congestion just south. That portion really needs to be six-lanes with the elimination of mid-block crossings.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on August 24, 2022, 10:09:43 AM
Western Kentucky Parkway upgrade study has been released: https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/Western_Kentucky_Parkway_Final_Report.pdf

This supports efforts to renumber the remainder of the Western Kentucky Parkway from I-65 to I-165. I actually forgot how rural much of this route is - and how widely spaced the exits are. Proposed work involves widening the inside shoulder to a consistent 4' minimum, increasing superelevations, adding or replacing guardrails, replacing metal bridge railings, minor widening of bridges, replacing bridges or lowering pavements to achieve vertical clearance, widening outside shoulders to 12', adding cable median barriers, increasing accel./decel. lengths on three ramps, increasing lane widths on a cloverleaf off-ramp, increasing control of access (right-of-way), and major reconstruction of Exit 137 with I-65.

That would have to be a different number than 165, which is on the Natcher Parkway now.

There used to be a 30-mile stretch between Leitchfield and E-town with no exits between KY 259 and the US 31W Bypass. After the tolls came off, a partial exit was built at KY 84 and it was later converted to a full exit. Then a partial exit was built at KY 224; I don't know if it's been converted to a full exit or not.

74/171FAN

QuoteThen a partial exit was built at KY 224; I don't know if it's been converted to a full exit or not.

Google Maps show it as a full interchange now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: seicer on August 24, 2022, 10:09:43 AM

Renumbering to... I-665?

seicer

I can't even keep up with these new interstates in Kentucky - but I didn't realize that I-569 is on the books from I-69/I-169 (Pennyrile Parkway) to I-165 (Natcher Parkway). It was originally set to be I-369. It has not yet been signed as far as I know because of pending construction to bring that part up to standards. So it could be conceivable that the rest of the Western Kentucky Parkway to I-65 could just be I-569.

Or it could be like North Carolina and Kentucky could just drop a bombshell and number the Western Kentucky Parkway to be... I-51 or some other two-digit!

Life in Paradise

Quote from: seicer on August 25, 2022, 10:12:53 AM
I can't even keep up with these new interstates in Kentucky - but I didn't realize that I-569 is on the books from I-69/I-169 (Pennyrile Parkway) to I-165 (Natcher Parkway). It was originally set to be I-369. It has not yet been signed as far as I know because of pending construction to bring that part up to standards. So it could be conceivable that the rest of the Western Kentucky Parkway to I-65 could just be I-569.

Or it could be like North Carolina and Kentucky could just drop a bombshell and number the Western Kentucky Parkway to be... I-51 or some other two-digit!
I really wish they would get away from the three digit long extensions in Kentucky.  They could just as well brand it like you said, I-51 or even I-71 or an even digit (since it is more east/west) like anything from 46 to 62.  It's an interstate that would start at one interstate and end at another

The Ghostbuster

The future Interstate 569 designation should extend all the way to Interstate 65, and not end at Interstate 165. Upon being designated as 569, I imagine all the exits on the WKP will be renumbered to correspond with Interstate 569's mileage. While they're add it, may they can add Interstate 169 signs to the remant segment of the Pennyrile Parkway.

seicer

I think all of the Pennyrile south of the Western Kentucky Parkway/I-69 is I-169. What remnant are you referring to?

The Ghostbuster

The segment that will be signed as Interstate 169 in the future, but is still signed as the Pennyrile Parkway. I consider it a remant from the time when the Pennyrile Parkway designation went all the way to Henderson (pre-2008).

hbelkins

I would rather have long(ish) three-digit routes as opposed to short two-digit routes that really don't serve a major intercity or interstate corridor.

seicer

*North Carolina takes notes.*

wriddle082

Quote from: Life in Paradise on August 25, 2022, 01:34:38 PM
Quote from: seicer on August 25, 2022, 10:12:53 AM

I really wish they would get away from the three digit long extensions in Kentucky.  They could just as well brand it like you said, I-51 or even I-71 or an even digit (since it is more east/west) like anything from 46 to 62.  It's an interstate that would start at one interstate and end at another

Yeah I could even see this as I-62, which could cause a lot of confusion with US 62, which this corridor follows!  But seriously, it should probably be I-58.  They can also possibly get away with it also taking over the Bluegrass Parkway as well, *and* get away with not completing it to a proper ending at I-64, so long as the section of US 60 where it terminates is on the NHS.

Having too many 3di's can be confusing.  Using a 2di for this particular situation shouldn't be considered a waste IMO.

seicer

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bluegrass Parkway would be next for a interstate designation - maybe I-365. It is mostly up to interstate standards but would need revisions to bridge railings, superelevations, shoulders, etc., and one interchange would need to be reconstructed.

MATraveler128

Quote from: seicer on August 26, 2022, 09:04:20 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Bluegrass Parkway would be next for a interstate designation - maybe I-365. It is mostly up to interstate standards but would need revisions to bridge railings, superelevations, shoulders, etc., and one interchange would need to be reconstructed.

I believe the Cumberland Parkway is already proposed to use the I-365 number. If anything, that would be I-565, although I'd prefer I-765 instead.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Life in Paradise

Just think, if things had gone another way and Arkansas got the OK to extend I-30 NE of Little Rock, they could have tied it into I-155 (via US 412) and then run I-30 all the way to Lexington, KY.  You have to admit, it does fit the diagonal started between Dallas and Little Rock plus it would have made a good alternative to I-40 for northern bound traffic.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on August 26, 2022, 09:04:20 AM

Two, actually -- KY 52 and KY 55.

For some reason, I don't see the clamor for that route to get an interstate designation the way other parkways are. Neither Brett Guthrie nor Andy Barr seem interested in pushing Congress to make the corridor an interstate.

jnewkirk77

I still think I-71 is the best designation for the WKP and what's slated to become I-169. The somewhat longish multiplex with I-65 wouldn't hurt.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.