News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: therocket on December 21, 2022, 11:42:56 AM
Dansby Swanson is in agreement with a 7-year, $177 million deal with the Chicago Cubs with a full no-trade clause.
https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1604227896914202625
Wow that's kind of a strange deal for a light hitting shortstop who strikes out a ton.

amroad17

^ Nowadays, many players "strike out a ton" .  Gone are the days where the league leader would strike out between 130-150 times in a season.  Now it is around 190-200 times in a season, and sometimes over 200 times.  That is almost one strikeout every three at bats. 😳
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Flint1979

Even though I'm not a Tigers fan I know a lot about that franchise growing up with them over the years and rooting for them from time to time but one thing I always liked seeing is how a ballpark looks after the team has closed the place up and no longer plays there. Michigan and Trumbull is the Tigers real home to me I watched a lot of ballgames at Tiger Stadium. I was in Detroit earlier today and walked around Corktown. Tiger Stadium's site is built up now and Corktown seems to be heading in the right direction. This Google Satelite view shows the field where the Tigers once played. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3325177,-83.068774,286m/data=!3m1!1e3

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 13, 2023, 07:37:14 PM
Even though I'm not a Tigers fan I know a lot about that franchise growing up with them over the years and rooting for them from time to time but one thing I always liked seeing is how a ballpark looks after the team has closed the place up and no longer plays there. Michigan and Trumbull is the Tigers real home to me I watched a lot of ballgames at Tiger Stadium. I was in Detroit earlier today and walked around Corktown. Tiger Stadium's site is built up now and Corktown seems to be heading in the right direction. This Google Satelite view shows the field where the Tigers once played. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3325177,-83.068774,286m/data=!3m1!1e3

It made me happy to see at least the field saved.  Back during 2015 I went to visit the site and there was kids from the local neighborhood using the field as park.  Someone had been taking the effort to keep the field mowed and looking somewhat presentable, sure wasn't the city at the time.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 13, 2023, 07:47:37 PM

It made me happy to see at least the field saved.  Back during 2015 I went to visit the site and there was kids from the local neighborhood using the field as park.  Someone had been taking the effort to keep the field mowed and looking somewhat presentable, sure wasn't the city at the time.
I hear ya. I still to this day would have loved to see the Tigers remain there but Tiger Stadium was pretty outdated. For years after it closed I would always drive past it whenever I went to Detroit. Always loved coming around the curve on I-75 to see the massive light towers on the stadium up ahead. I couldn't tell you how many times I walked across that pedestrian bridge over I-75 at Cochrane Street I walked over that thing and back today just for old times.

amroad17

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 13, 2023, 08:08:54 PM

I hear ya. I still to this day would have loved to see the Tigers remain there but Tiger Stadium was pretty outdated. For years after it closed I would always drive past it whenever I went to Detroit. Always loved coming around the curve on I-75 to see the massive light towers on the stadium up ahead. I couldn't tell you how many times I walked across that pedestrian bridge over I-75 at Cochrane Street I walked over that thing and back today just for old times.
The best times for Tiger Stadium that I saw on TV were in 1976 and 1984. 

1976 was the year of Mark "The Bird" Fidrych.  He was someone to watch--talking to the baseball (himself, actually), patting down the mound, and jumping around all over the field, congratulating teammates on good plays.  His coming out party was when the Tigers beat the eventual American League Champion New York Yankees 5-1 on Monday Night Baseball that season with Fidrych pitching a complete game in 1:51 (hardly ever going to see that again).  The Tiger fans would not leave until he came back out for a post-game curtain call, which he did--in his socks!  :-D.  He sold out stadiums that summer on his way to being the American League Rookie of the Year and a start in that year's All-Star Game.  He ended up going 19-9, pitching 24 complete games in 29 starts (had 31 appearances that season), 250 IP with 217 hits allowed, 53 walks and 97 K's, a WHIP of 1.079, and led the AL in ERA at 2.34, beating out Vida Blue of Oakland at 2.35.  He finished 2nd in the Cy Young Award voting to Jim Palmer of the Baltimore Orioles (I believe he should have won it).  I still have fond memories of him and that season.

1984 was the Year of the Tiger in which the team won the World Series over the San Diego Padres 4 games to 1, with Kirk Gibson hitting that mammoth home run of Rich "Goose" Gossage in Game 5 to seal the deal.  They started 35-5 and finished at 104-58, easily winning the AL East by 15 games over Toronto.  They also had the AL MVP and Cy Young Award winner in Willie Hernandez, who went 9-3 with 32 saves and a 1.92 ERA.  Another rocking year.

It is good to hear that the area is not in any disarray.

Flint1979

Quote from: amroad17 on February 14, 2023, 02:34:19 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 13, 2023, 08:08:54 PM

The best times for Tiger Stadium that I saw on TV were in 1976 and 1984. 

1976 was the year of Mark "The Bird" Fidrych.  He was someone to watch--talking to the baseball (himself, actually), patting down the mound, and jumping around all over the field, congratulating teammates on good plays.  His coming out party was when the Tigers beat the eventual American League Champion New York Yankees 5-1 on Monday Night Baseball that season with Fidrych pitching a complete game in 1:51 (hardly ever going to see that again).  The Tiger fans would not leave until he came back out for a post-game curtain call, which he did--in his socks!  :-D.  He sold out stadiums that summer on his way to being the American League Rookie of the Year and a start in that year's All-Star Game.  He ended up going 19-9, pitching 24 complete games in 29 starts (had 31 appearances that season), 250 IP with 217 hits allowed, 53 walks and 97 K's, a WHIP of 1.079, and led the AL in ERA at 2.34, beating out Vida Blue of Oakland at 2.35.  He finished 2nd in the Cy Young Award voting to Jim Palmer of the Baltimore Orioles (I believe he should have won it).  I still have fond memories of him and that season.

1984 was the Year of the Tiger in which the team won the World Series over the San Diego Padres 4 games to 1, with Kirk Gibson hitting that mammoth home run of Rich "Goose" Gossage in Game 5 to seal the deal.  They started 35-5 and finished at 104-58, easily winning the AL East by 15 games over Toronto.  They also had the AL MVP and Cy Young Award winner in Willie Hernandez, who went 9-3 with 32 saves and a 1.92 ERA.  Another rocking year.

It is good to hear that the area is not in any disarray.
In 1976 The Bird was pretty much all the Tigers had and would sell out the stadium when he pitched then there'd be 8,000 people there the next night. That Monday night game against the Yankees is pretty well documented.

I remember 1984 pretty well even though I was only 5 years old when the Tigers won. They also had a solid rotation with Morris, Petry, Wilcox, Juan Berenguer and Dave Rozma. They had 54 wins between Morris, Petry and Wilcox alone. Plus they had Aurelio Lopez in addtion to Willie Hernandez.

As far as the area around the old Tiger Stadium, the area north of I-75 and west of Trumbull isn't in the greatest shape, the old train station has been bought by Ford and is coming along nicely. I never thought I would see the day that Michigan Central Station would be used again. The area just west of the old stadium where the old parking lots were could use to be developed again. When I was crossing the bridge at Cochrane Street on foot I paused in the middle to look at the Detroit skyline it was a pretty good vantage point.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 14, 2023, 06:36:19 AM

As far as the area around the old Tiger Stadium, the area north of I-75 and west of Trumbull isn't in the greatest shape, the old train station has been bought by Ford and is coming along nicely. I never thought I would see the day that Michigan Central Station would be used again. The area just west of the old stadium where the old parking lots were could use to be developed again. When I was crossing the bridge at Cochrane Street on foot I paused in the middle to look at the Detroit skyline it was a pretty good vantage point.

Some apartments have been built on Trumbull street where the old Tiger stadium once stood.
https://goo.gl/maps/RhkjUfa6Ff7BbyTX8
Here a vintage view of Tiger stadium then GSV shown in 2007 on Michigan Ave. https://goo.gl/maps/gDmyQa3DGWBT4AJGA
A more recent view from Sept. 2022 showing the buildings who replaced it. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3314379,-83.0683105,3a,75y,3.25h,90.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3ryX_R5cOFj8A9-LgcL-4w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Flint1979

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 14, 2023, 01:52:01 PM

Some apartments have been built on Trumbull street where the old Tiger stadium once stood.
Here a vintage view of Tiger stadium then GSV shown in 2007 on Michigan Ave. https://goo.gl/maps/gDmyQa3DGWBT4AJGA
A more recent view from Sept. 2022 showing the buildings who replaced it. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3314379,-83.0683105,3a,75y,3.25h,90.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3ryX_R5cOFj8A9-LgcL-4w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
Yes that is true. The stadium stood for about 10 years before it was demolished and then sat for a few more years before it started to be developed. It looks pretty nice from everything I saw on my walk around the area yesterday.

Takumi

Pitchers and catchers report to spring training this week!
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Henry

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 14, 2023, 03:01:27 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 14, 2023, 01:52:01 PM

Yes that is true. The stadium stood for about 10 years before it was demolished and then sat for a few more years before it started to be developed. It looks pretty nice from everything I saw on my walk around the area yesterday.
I think the folks in Houston know what it's like to have an old stadium stand empty for a long period of time. The Astrodome hasn't had any tenants since the Astros left for what is now Minute Maid Park in 2000, and the Texans literally play next door in their own stadium. IIRC, the reason it hasn't been demolished is because of some kind of environmental issue arising from it. Plus, on the other side, there's a power substation, so it'll probably stand forever, essentially becoming America's Colosseum.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Henry on February 15, 2023, 10:11:59 AM

I think the folks in Houston know what it's like to have an old stadium stand empty for a long period of time. The Astrodome hasn't had any tenants since the Astros left for what is now Minute Maid Park in 2000, and the Texans literally play next door in their own stadium. IIRC, the reason it hasn't been demolished is because of some kind of environmental issue arising from it. Plus, on the other side, there's a power substation, so it'll probably stand forever, essentially becoming America's Colosseum.

I guess the Astrodome could be use for filming various movie scenes like they once did with Brewster McCloud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqSzA_wBIw

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Stephane Dumas

R.I.P. Tim McCarver. :( 
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/mlb-tim-mccarver-obituary-1.6750942

QuoteTim McCarver, the all-star catcher and Hall of Fame broadcaster who during 60 years in baseball won two World Series titles with the St. Louis Cardinals and had a long run as the one of the country's most recognized, incisive and talkative television commentators, died Thursday. He was 81.

McCarver's death was announced by baseball's Hall of Fame, which said he died Thursday morning in Memphis, Tenn., where he was with his family.

Among the few players to appear in major league games during four different decades, McCarver was a two-time all star who worked closely with two future Hall of Fame pitchers: the tempestuous Bob Gibson, whom McCarver caught for St. Louis in the 1960s, and the introverted Steve Carlton, McCarver's fellow Cardinal in the '60s and a Philadelphia Phillies teammate in the 1970s. He switched to television soon after retiring in 1980 and became best known to national audiences for his 18-year partnership on Fox with play-by-play man Joe Buck.

Flint1979

I remember a game at Tiger Stadium where I was sitting in the center field bleachers. There was an usher who was a big guy on the field below. One side of the bleachers was singing hey big daddy and he looked at us and was getting mad then the other side did the same thing. We were going back and forth driving him nuts

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: on_wisconsin on February 25, 2023, 09:43:19 AM
Quotehttps://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1629252979789537280

It will indeed be interesting to see how the pitch clock and other new rules changes will change the on-field product this year.

tchafe1978

Manny Machado was the first batter to fall victim to the new pitch clock, when he didn't stand ready in the batter's box before there were 8 seconds left on the clock, and had an automatic strike called against him. That's gonna be a fun one to keep an eye on all season.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tchafe1978 on February 25, 2023, 10:33:26 AM
Manny Machado was the first batter to fall victim to the new pitch clock, when he didn't stand ready in the batter's box before there were 8 seconds left on the clock, and had an automatic strike called against him. That's gonna be a fun one to keep an eye on all season.

Good.  And maybe he was testing the system, but glad the ump stuck true to the rule.

Henry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 25, 2023, 10:38:41 AM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on February 25, 2023, 10:33:26 AM

Good.  And maybe he was testing the system, but glad the ump stuck true to the rule.
And then the same thing happened at the end of the Red Sox-Braves game, which ended in a tie and prompted the fans to boo afterwards. I get why MLB wants games to go at a faster pace, but this is not the way to do it. Expect lots of unnecessary strikeouts this season, due to the new pitch clock that's making it now resemble the NBA.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Well back in ye olden days, there wasn't even a strike count in baseball.  The ump would just decide that you were taking too many pitches and declare you out at some arbitrary point.  So there is precedent deep in the history of the game for this kind of change.

But I still don't like it.  Baseball is supposed to have a leisurely pace.  People's brains have been melted by stupid phones and shit so that everyone has the attention span of a toddler.  This is a dumb solution to the whiners that games take too long.  I'd almost rather have them knock an inning or two off the game rather than hold players to a pitch clock.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Dellbeam

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 27, 2023, 01:14:56 PM
Well back in ye olden days, there wasn't even a strike count in baseball.  The ump would just decide that you were taking too many pitches and declare you out at some arbitrary point.  So there is precedent deep in the history of the game for this kind of change.

But I still don't like it.  Baseball is supposed to have a leisurely pace.  People's brains have been melted by stupid phones and shit so that everyone has the attention span of a toddler.  This is a dumb solution to the whiners that games take too long.  I'd almost rather have them knock an inning or two off the game rather than hold players to a pitch clock.

I always think that people who complain about baseball games being too long probably aren't huge fans of the sport itself. Especially as its games still take as long as some football or basketball games.

amroad17

Part of the reason the "time of game"  has increased is the time allowed for commercials between innings and for pitching changes.  With all MLB teams televising games today verses a select few in the 1970's and 1980's (Cubs, Braves, Mets, and Yankees to name some), more time is needed for advertising.  Most areas just had the Saturday Game of the Week on NBC with Joe Garagiola and Tony Kubek and later (1976ish), Monday Night Baseball on ABC.  I am not sure of what the time allotted for commercials was in the 1970's and 1980's (maybe 1:30?) but today I believe it is closer to 3 minutes.  That adds up, especially with the way pitching is handled in today's game.  Rare is the complete game due to managers and coaches reliance on pitch counts and situational pitching.

Baseball was never meant to be "timed" .  I have never seen a "countdown time clock"  in any field/stadium that I have watched a game at.  The only clock I have seen in the one displaying what time it is.  Whatever happens in a game is going to happen.  Higher scoring games are going to take longer.  Multiple pitching changes will make a game go longer.  Some batters and pitchers do "take their time" .  Oh well, that's gamesmanship.  Live with it.

"Dellbeam"  is correct in his statement above.  NFL games last between 3 hours and 3 hours and 15 minutes.  NBA games are usually 2h 30m to 3 hours.  NHL fairly much the same as the NBA.  So why the fuss about 3 hours of baseball?  Besides, wouldn't having a "pitch clock"  (and to some extent, a "batter clock"  since they have to be in the box before 0:08) be counterintuitive to generating more ad revenue if the desire is to shorten the games?  :hmmm:

hotdogPi

Quote from: amroad17 on March 05, 2023, 07:00:18 PM
I have never seen a "countdown time clock"  in any field/stadium that I have watched a game at.  The only clock I have seen in the one displaying what time it is.

Fenway Park has a clock counting down to the end of the commercial breaks between innings and half-innings. It starts at 2:25.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

amroad17

Quote from: 1 on March 05, 2023, 07:05:41 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on March 05, 2023, 07:00:18 PM
I have never seen a "countdown time clock"  in any field/stadium that I have watched a game at.  The only clock I have seen in the one displaying what time it is.

Fenway Park has a clock counting down to the end of the commercial breaks between innings and half-innings. It starts at 2:25.
That's interesting.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.