Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom89t

Dr Frankenstein

NE2

To make this thread deliver:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: Tom89t on January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Tom, you need to post the entire Google Maps link for these.  When you post, it's not coming through but for the the first bit.  IIRC, there's a copy button on the Google Map you want to post that says "copy link" or some such thing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Michael

How to share a map link: http://support.google.com/maps/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=72644

Look for the Link button, it looks like this:

myosh_tino

Quote from: Brandon on January 14, 2012, 08:57:26 AM
Tom, you need to post the entire Google Maps link for these.  When you post, it's not coming through but for the the first bit.  IIRC, there's a copy button on the Google Map you want to post that says "copy link" or some such thing.

Quote from: Michael on January 14, 2012, 10:21:07 AM
How to share a map link: http://support.google.com/maps/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=72644

Look for the Link button, it looks like this:
Guys, Tom is posting to the forums using an iPod Touch.  I tried to find the link icon Michael mentioned but in the mobile version of Google Maps, that icon is no where to be found.

Tom, you need get on a *real* computer in order to be able to link to Google Maps.  If you are unable to get to a computer, don't bother posting links to Google Maps because all we'll get is the generic map of the US.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

6a

Alps

Michael

Steve, you beat me to posting that one!  I live about a half hour away from it.

The entrance to SUNY Oswego had double signals, but I think they've been replaced.  The older signals were only visible when you were right under them (they had lenses that restrict the viewing angle).  The double signals can be seen in Street View.  The older signals are on the far side of the intersection (the right mast arm in the background).

Tom89t

Thats  what I been telling you guys. :pan:

6a

Quote from: Tom89t on January 14, 2012, 11:12:54 PM
Thats  what I been telling you guys. :pan:

Not very well, apparently.

adt1982

What a descriptive title!

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

That's really fancy, and probably expensive. Whey would they go to all that expense instead of using more standard mounting equipment.

xcellntbuy

Two places in Broward County that I am aware of have a similar massive traffic signal set-up, but diagonally.  One is located at North University Drive (FL 817) and West Sunrise Blvd. (FL 838) on the Plantation/Sunrise city line and the second one is to the south at North/South University Drive (FL 817) and West Broward Blvd. (FL 842) in Plantation.

When these big black behemoths were erected, the reason given for having installing these massive interstate-highway-sign- sized sign bridges for traffic lights was that the intersections were the largest in the County.  I do not support that reasoning since the intersections in both cases consist of 6-lane highways with 2-left turn lanes and 1-right turn lane, neither of which are unusual at all in south Florida.  Each time I have encountered these huge signal bridges, the traffic lights themselves tend to be hard to see, being dwarfed in black-painted steel.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PurdueBill

Quote from: Takumi on March 16, 2012, 10:21:25 PM
Who needs yellow?

What color is the top head in the two-section signals?  I guess red?  (A first thought was maybe yellows so the assembly could theoretically flash yellow for some reason, but I dismissed that because the top head shouldn't be yellow--it would be disaster to have someone colorblind come along and think it was flashing red.  Maybe the top lights, if red, aren't operational and are placeholders so the green isn't alone?  Where is this light--maybe someone is familiar with it?)

Takumi

This is on US 360 in Richmond, just east of VA 150 at a shopping center. Every time I'be been by this light it's been green, so I don't actually know what color the top is!

Assuming it's red, though.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

I would assume it's always green, since there's no conflicting movement.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Takumi on March 16, 2012, 10:45:29 PM
This is on US 360 in Richmond, just east of VA 150 at a shopping center. Every time I'be been by this light it's been green, so I don't actually know what color the top is!

Assuming it's red, though.
Is that a location where the traffic in this direction has a protected-only or protected-permissive left turn but no reason for the thru traffic to stop? Every place I've seen that setup, there is a single green straight-ahead arrow only with no other lights that could show. One that comes to mind is exiting Denver International Airport where the road from the remote parking lot enters.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Takumi

The leftmost signal has four arrows, so there may be such a phase there. If none of the other Richmond area roadgeeks hasn't seen this fully in action, I'll check it out one day.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Ian

The right three 2-section signals look like they'd have yellow on their top section which I would assume flash during the off hours. New York has plenty of intersections with those type of signals...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

deathtopumpkins

Takumi, I would actually presume the top is yellow, based on another Virginia example I used to drive under daily. On VA 134 (Armistead Ave) at the onramp to I-64 westbound in Hampton, VA was an almost identical setup, where the left turn lanes had three-lens signals (protected arrows only) and the two thru lanes had a green and yellow two-lens signal (I only ever saw it yellow once, when it was first installed the top lens flashed yellow). Unfortunately the two-lens signals were removed a few years ago, and are not even visible in street view anymore. They were added when Armistead Ave was widened through the area at least 10 years ago.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadman65

Go to street view and look at US 90 Eastbound at I-310 near New Orleans.  You will see a full doghouse signal for that movement at the northbound on ramp to the interstate with the through movement being business as usual with two other signal heads.  The thing is there is no other road to conflict movement where the green signal is on constantly with the red and straight through yellow ever used.  Only the yellow and green left are used when WB US 90 is stopped to allow a protected left turn from EB to NB.  Check it out there!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=New+Orleans,+LA&aq=0&oq=new+o&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.957999,86.572266&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=New+Orleans,+Orleans,+Louisiana&ll=29.896048,-90.395089&spn=0.002404,0.005284&z=18&cbll=29.895983,-90.39519&panoid=DNoe1OaQnlCLQrK-s0Nrtw&cbp=12,25.63,,0,0&ei=YcNkT4HBAcqo8gb1jpW-BA&pw=2
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Heck, who needs two?

Here is GMSV during road construction; through traffic has only a signal head, which is solid green full-time.
Wichita, KS:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.