News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 25, 2018, 11:17:03 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on December 23, 2018, 06:09:26 PM
That protection s/b maintained.

US-20 is a solid E/W regional arterial.  I have driven it from Sioux City all the way to Elgin many times.

I remember when MINDOT had I-90 down to a creep to for a resurface project from Luverne to Albert Lea.  US-30/I-88 was too far south, so I gave US 20 in Iowa to Illinois a shot way back when. Great road, especially after they got the I-35 to Waterloo section done.

All that is left is Galena to Freeport and a new bridge at Dubuque. And that bridge at Dubuque is an oldie.

I use this route to bypass the busy/congested I-90/94 Minnesota and Wisconsin route to from Chicago area by taking I-29 at Sioux Falls and taking US-20 across. Can't tell you how many times I have been caught in major backups around Madison or Rockford

IDOT should not abandon this route.

There is some push for an interim safety improvement of US 20 between Freeport and Galena, but outside of a massive infusion of infrastructure funds, a 4 lane freeway is probably still off in the future. There has been some talk of twinning the Julien Dubuque bridge (which was built during WW II) with a new structure and then rehabbing the old one; it would be an Iowa DOT project since the bridge is their responsibility although IDOT would also contribute to the cost. There have been a few recent fatal crashes on the bridge, prompting local concern for action, but with the I-74 and I-80 bridges now on IowaDOT and IDOT's plate, not looking like a rehab is coming for several years.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/A-keystone-in-the-Key-City-reviewing-safety-on-the-Julien-Dubuque-Bridge-502035281.html

What about building the four lane expressway between Freeport and Galena now with the option to convert it to freeway later if traffic warrants it? Would cutting out the interchanges and overpasses cut down on the cost?

I'm not convinced US 20 needs to be fully access controlled.

We stuck with a DOT as you all may know that is either some over the top freeway expressway or a crappy 2 lane.

cwm1276

Quote from: I-39 on December 28, 2018, 05:02:55 PM

US-20 is a solid E/W regional arterial.  I have driven it from Sioux City all the way to Elgin many times.

I remember when MINDOT had I-90 down to a creep to for a resurface project from Luverne to Albert Lea.  US-30/I-88 was too far south, so I gave US 20 in Iowa to Illinois a shot way back when. Great road, especially after they got the I-35 to Waterloo section done.

All that is left is Galena to Freeport and a new bridge at Dubuque. And that bridge at Dubuque is an oldie.

I use this route to bypass the busy/congested I-90/94 Minnesota and Wisconsin route to from Chicago area by taking I-29 at Sioux Falls and taking US-20 across. Can't tell you how many times I have been caught in major backups around Madison or Rockford

There is some push for an interim safety improvement of US 20 between Freeport and Galena, but outside of a massive infusion of infrastructure funds, a 4 lane freeway is probably still off in the future. There has been some talk of twinning the Julien Dubuque bridge (which was built during WW II) with a new structure and then rehabbing the old one; it would be an Iowa DOT project since the bridge is their responsibility although IDOT would also contribute to the cost. There have been a few recent fatal crashes on the bridge, prompting local concern for action, but with the I-74 and I-80 bridges now on IowaDOT and IDOT's plate, not looking like a rehab is coming for several years.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/A-keystone-in-the-Key-City-reviewing-safety-on-the-Julien-Dubuque-Bridge-502035281.html

What about building the four lane expressway between Freeport and Galena now with the option to convert it to freeway later if traffic warrants it? Would cutting out the interchanges and overpasses cut down on the cost?

I'm not convinced US 20 needs to be fully access controlled.

I think the problem with cost is the all new route the freeway plan has, removing the interchanges don't save much.  Plus the Galena Bypass has some major bridges over the valley, which would be needed either way. 

To save costs I would suggest going further and build only 2 lanes on the new right-away.  Maybe every few miles do passing lanes either normal passing lanes one side at a time or build out small sections of 4 lanes for passing.  Maybe include a 4 lane section at interchanges to accomplish both short to medium term issues. 

edwaleni

A possible contributor to the cause on US 20 maybe the fact that Amazon and UPS have announced major expansions to their Rockford Logistics Centers.

In case anyone is curious, here is the record of decision on the Galena Bypass that is awaiting funding.

Here is the alignment for the Galena to Freeport Route, a.k.a "Glacier Shadow Pass".

Here is feedback from the region on the future of US20.

https://www.rrstar.com/news/20180203/safety-upgrades-sought-for-us-20-west-of-freeport

QuoteAn eight-county coalition in Iowa and Illinois seeks to make the 47-mile stretch of U.S. 20 that's still two lanes a safer road

Planning for a four-lane, limited access highway across northern Illinois began in the late 1930s, but World War II ended that and when the war was over in 1945, the nation's priorities changed.

The Interstate Highway System initiated by President Dwight Eisenhower in the mid-1950s featured a highway from Chicago to Rockford; that road, Interstate 90, stretched from Boston to Seattle, with Chicago in the middle.

At Rockford, it veered north to Wisconsin.

That left everything west of Rockford to Iowa off the system. Advocates for making U.S. 20 a modern, four-lane road have had a tough time ever since getting funding for a modern, four-lane highway.

Progress has been made, though, with bypasses around Rockford and Freeport, and a four-lane from Rockford to Freeport.

But there's that nagging, 47-mile, two-lane stretch from Freeport's west edge to just past downtown Galena, which causes too many accidents and stifles economic growth in northwestern Illinois.

Fifteen or so years ago, it seemed as if the road's fortunes were about to pick up. Advocates for a freeway gathered up some political clout and succeeded in getting the Illinois Department of Transportation to do an engineering study from 1993 to 2005. IDOT called the unbuilt freeway segment "Glacier Shadow Pass."

Today, it remains a shadow on which IDOT has taken a pass. The agency moves at a glacial pace.

A plan for a 6.5 mile bypass around Galena has advanced to the second phase of IDOT's three-phase highway planning process, but there's little if any construction money available for new projects. As IDOT says about the bypass: "Additional funding is also needed before construction of the proposed bypass can begin. As such, a construction timeline is not available at this time."

So what, if anything, can be done to improve U.S. 20 from Freeport to Galena in our lifetimes?

It's not a lost cause, but given the reality that there aren't many new road dollars, either from the federal or state government, it makes more sense to try to improve the existing road by making it safer.

The high volume of accidents west of Freeport shows the need for improvement, not only to save lives, but also to help companies get northwest Illinois' and northeast Iowa's goods to Chicagoland markets and to the Global III Union Pacific intermodal freight hub in Rochelle faster and cheaper.

An eight-county study by Blackhawk Hills Regional Council, headquartered in Rock Falls, is examining how freight moves through northwest Illinois and eastern Iowa. Illinois counties in the study are Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Carroll and Whiteside. Iowa counties are Clinton, Delaware, Dubuque and Jackson.

Preliminary figures show that from 2010 to 2015, there were 175 crashes involving trucks, costing $8.7 million on U.S. 20 between Freeport and Dubuque.

Making safety improvements that reduce truck-involved crashes by 30 percent would save $2.6 million a year, the study found.

During the same period, there were 1,575 non-truck crashes on U.S. 20 from Freeport to Dubuque.

The analysis indicates that a 30 percent reduction in non-truck crashes would save $11.5 million a year.

The danger involved in moving goods along U.S. 20 on the two-lane, hilly and curving segment, causes companies to send their trucks over longer routes to avoid U.S. 20, adding costs that businesses would like to avoid. The study talked to 96 businesses and determined that while U.S. 20 is the shortest route to Chicagoland and Rochelle, companies routinely have their trucks avoid the road, taking longer, indirect routes instead.

Not using U.S. 20 adds 59 minutes and 83 miles to a trip to the Rochelle intermodal hub; not using U.S. 20 to Chicago adds 26 minutes and 57 miles to a trip.

Making U.S. 20 just 30 percent safer than it is today would double truck traffic and save businesses $55.2 million a year, the study says.

Area leaders made their case last week to Illinois Secretary of Transportation Randy Blankenhorn.

"We went to Springfield to convince the secretary of the need for a road safety audit,"  said Bill Hadley, Stephenson County Board chairman. "I was very pleased he took an hour to meet with us on U.S. 20 safety improvements. I was also happy to see three state representatives, Brian Stewart, R-Freeport; Joe Sosnowski, R-Rockford; and John Cabello, R-Machesney Park, join us.

"I'm happy Rockford representatives are taking an interest in this issue. They represent businesses in the Rockford area that use U.S. 20 west."

After the meeting with Blankenhorn, Hadley said, he thinks there's a 50-50 chance the state will come up with the money for a road safety audit, "but in the meantime they said they would do an in-house safety audit. They do have some money to do some small projects."

Dan Payette, executive director of Blackhawk Hills Planning Council, agreed that "safety is an issue, so let's figure out what improvements can be made to reduce accidents and travel times and move forward from there."

csw

"Glacier Shadow Pass" is a badass name.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: csw on December 31, 2018, 10:38:26 AM
Glacier Shadow Toll Pass

SSOWorld

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 31, 2018, 03:10:21 PM
Glacier Shadow Toll Pass
As opposed to I-PASS??? That is bad.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Crash_It

Glacier Shadow Toll Pass

Except that US Routes can't be tolled.

Brandon

Quote from: Crash_It on January 01, 2019, 06:59:49 PM
Glacier Shadow Toll Pass

US-51 and US-412 say otherwise.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on January 01, 2019, 06:59:49 PM

Incorrect.  A toll road can be a US Route, as long as it is bannered 'TOLL' and there exists an alternative path along another US Route.  Plus, there is a provision specifically written for breaking the rules.

Quote from: AASHTO Transportation Policy Book, January 2000
Establishment and Development of United States Numbered Highways
(Retained from October 13, 1991, Revised October 6, 1996)

ESTABLISHED POLICIES

15. Any toll highway facility may be included in the U.S. Numbered System when it meets all the criteria for inclusion, and when the request for the marking originates with the official authority having jurisdiction over the toll facility and the request is directed to AASHTO and supported by the appropriate Member Department. The word "Toll" shall appear over the official U.S. Route Marker and a toll-free routing between the same termini shall continue to be retained and marked as a part of the U.S. Numbered System.

16. Notwithstanding established policies, AASHTO recognizes that Congress on occasion will establish highway routes, specifying the location of the route as well as designating the route number(s) to be used. In those instances when Congress designates a route, the state(s) affected will follow the established procedures relative to route numbering.

These purposes and policies, having been amended and approved by the State Highway Departments after individual State consideration, the Standing Committee on Highways of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials hereby promulgates and makes effective these policies upon the authority of the State Highway Departments beginning September 15, 1970.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

edwaleni

Quote from: edwaleni on December 26, 2018, 04:50:21 PM

I did some research and it appears IDOT owns some land off US-20 along the Mississippi River to support a crossing just above Nine Mile Island.

I checked on the Iowa side and there were some proposals to connect US-20 east of Peosta with US-151 at the Dubuque Regional Airport. 

While I haven't seen anything official, logic would assume that any US-20 crossing at Nine Mile Island would also connect with the US-151/Future US-20 junction at the airport. 

Iowa has been focused on the NE/SE Arterial in Dubuque which eventually will bypass the town from the north and south and will probably become US-52 when finished to Key West.

But I have seen backups at the Julien Dubuque on the Iowa side, mostly trucks trying to reach Illinois.

If they ever decide to create a new river crossing, I assume it will cost as much or more than the Musial-Veterans in St Louis, or the Lewis & Clark Bridge in Louisville as they used the same design template.

After some more research...

US-52 in Dubuque will be rerouted around town using the just completed SW Arterial which runs from US20 west of Dubuque down to US-151 near Key West.  The new road will end at Old Davenport Road (old US 61) for now and US 52 is going to take a bit of round about way by being co-signed with US-61 & US-151 down to SW Arterial, then up to US-20.

If when IDOT and Iowa DOT have the dough, the US-20 bridge will run east south of Spanish Mills, and cross the river just north of Nine Mile Island and connect with US-20 on the Illinois side. US-52 will then be routed with the SW Arterial Extension (US-20 Bypass) so as to get rid of the round about route.  US-52 will be cosigned with US 20 out to Dyersburg and the run north to Luxemburg to co-sign with IA-136. The old US-52 north of Dubuque will be retired and revert to its state route number (IA-3).

When done, this will provide a full N-S Dubuque bypass in Iowa with a US-20 bypass connection to the Illinois side south of town.  US-61 and US-151 will remain co-signed through town as it serves the Dubuque-Wisconsin Bridge into SW Wisconsin.

When done, anyone traveling west on US-20 out of Illinois will be able to reach NE Iowa or Waterloo without ever seeing downtown Dubuque.

With the recent opening of the US20 freeway east of Sioux City, all that is left of 2 lane between Rockford and Sioux City is the Dubuque to Freeport section.

inkyatari

Quote from: edwaleni on January 01, 2019, 09:43:32 PM

I did some research and it appears IDOT owns some land off US-20 along the Mississippi River to support a crossing just above Nine Mile Island.

I checked on the Iowa side and there were some proposals to connect US-20 east of Peosta with US-151 at the Dubuque Regional Airport. 

While I haven't seen anything official, logic would assume that any US-20 crossing at Nine Mile Island would also connect with the US-151/Future US-20 junction at the airport. 

Iowa has been focused on the NE/SE Arterial in Dubuque which eventually will bypass the town from the north and south and will probably become US-52 when finished to Key West.

But I have seen backups at the Julien Dubuque on the Iowa side, mostly trucks trying to reach Illinois.

If they ever decide to create a new river crossing, I assume it will cost as much or more than the Musial-Veterans in St Louis, or the Lewis & Clark Bridge in Louisville as they used the same design template.

US-52 in Dubuque will be rerouted around town using the just completed SW Arterial which runs from US20 west of Dubuque down to US-151 near Key West.  The new road will end at Old Davenport Road (old US 61) for now and US 52 is going to take a bit of round about way by being co-signed with US-61 & US-151 down to SW Arterial, then up to US-20.

If when IDOT and Iowa DOT have the dough, the US-20 bridge will run east south of Spanish Mills, and cross the river just north of Nine Mile Island and connect with US-20 on the Illinois side. US-52 will then be routed with the SW Arterial Extension (US-20 Bypass) so as to get rid of the round about route.  US-52 will be cosigned with US 20 out to Dyersburg and the run north to Luxemburg to co-sign with IA-136. The old US-52 north of Dubuque will be retired and revert to its state route number (IA-3).

When done, this will provide a full N-S Dubuque bypass in Iowa with a US-20 bypass connection to the Illinois side south of town.  US-61 and US-151 will remain co-signed through town as it serves the Dubuque-Wisconsin Bridge into SW Wisconsin.

When done, anyone traveling west on US-20 out of Illinois will be able to reach NE Iowa or Waterloo without ever seeing downtown Dubuque.

With the recent opening of the US20 freeway east of Sioux City, all that is left of 2 lane between Rockford and Sioux City is the Dubuque to Freeport section.

Looking at some maps, it seems this bridge south of DuBuque will go very close to the Mines of Spain State Park (Really unique park, by the way). Expect there to be a lot of environmental fights and lawsuits over this route.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

edwaleni

Quote from: inkyatari on January 02, 2019, 08:48:51 AM

Looking at some maps, it seems this bridge south of DuBuque will go very close to the Mines of Spain State Park (Really unique park, by the way). Expect there to be a lot of environmental fights and lawsuits over this route.

I said "Spanish Mills" earlier, I actually meant "Spanish Mines" or "Mines of Spain". That was my error when typing.

The ROW is projected to acquire private property south of the park.

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on January 03, 2019, 01:35:21 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on January 02, 2019, 08:48:51 AM

I said "Spanish Mills" earlier, I actually meant "Spanish Mines" or "Mines of Spain". That was my error when typing.

The ROW is projected to acquire private property south of the park.

Where is the long range plan for the SW Arterial in Dubuque to become a full bypass for US 20? I cannot find anything supporting that. If that is the case, why didn't they IowaDOT build a new US 20 alignment straight east from Swiss Valley Road to US 61/151? Seems kind of a waste IMO. 

paulthemapguy

Has District 5 always snubbed I-55 or McLean County in general? The wind has been blowing a little bit of snow back onto the roadways, and it's making for a somewhat treacherous drive along I-55 today. So far, Districts 3 and 7 have done a much better job at clearing off I-55. I get the impression that McLean county hass been passed off by multiple districts as the county nobody wants. Anybody get the impression that McLean County gets a lower amount of care?

SM-G930P

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Brandon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 20, 2019, 11:53:43 AM
Has District 5 always snubbed I-55 or McLean County in general? The wind has been blowing a little bit of snow back onto the roadways, and it's making for a somewhat treacherous drive along I-55 today. So far, Districts 3 and 7 have done a much better job at clearing off I-55. I get the impression that McLean county hass been passed off by multiple districts as the county nobody wants. Anybody get the impression that McLean County gets a lower amount of care?

D-5, I've found, couldn't figure out how to plow snow or salt a road to save their collective asses.  It's the same on I-74 and I-57 in the winter.  BTW, I-55 passes through D-6 and D-8, not D-7.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

Which District is the one with Springfield? Is that 6? I thought it was 7 but yeah 7 is Effingham, isn't it? My bad.

SM-G930P

Revive 755

^ Springfield is 6 - the District headquarters is there.

I've been wondering if IDOT ever redid the districts if they should move the headquarters for the current District 5 (Paris) to either Blormal or Chambana.

paulthemapguy

Maybe Bloomington-Normal would get more attention if its district wasn't headquartered in the complete opposite corner of the district haha. That was scary though on I-55. Saw 9 vehicles in the ditch, including an overturned tractor trailer in the median and a gray sedan flipped on its side. 8 of those 9 vehicles were in McLean County.

SM-G930P

Rick Powell

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 20, 2019, 12:26:37 PM
^ Springfield is 6 - the District headquarters is there.

I've been wondering if IDOT ever redid the districts if they should move the headquarters for the current District 5 (Paris) to either Blormal or Chambana.

IDOT reorganized the Districts into 5 regions around 2007 (while retaining all the District headquarters), and many counties were swapped at the time. McLean County was transferred from District 3 (Ottawa) to District 5 (Paris). McLean County was an important and well-tended county while I was at District 3 and before the transfer; we widened and improved I-55 BL Veterans Parkway and re-did the I-55/Veterans NE interchange as well as completely reconstructed and added lanes to most of the I-55/74 multiplex before District 5 got it. District 5 completed the add lanes/reconstruction between I-39 and the I-55/Veterans NE interchange after the transfer.

I am not aware of any initiatives to move any of the District headquarters in decades. The last move was moving District 1 from Elgin to Schaumburg, where it then moved across town to its present headquarters.

seicer

You can see the closed road at https://goo.gl/maps/8mLztLQUi442

At what point can we declare the road unsalvageable and just let the quarry have the roadway and limestone underneath it?

--

The Death of Joliet Road
January 26, 2001

Three years ago, workers for the Illinois Department of Transportation spotted strange cracks in one stretch of Joliet Road, a major spoke through Chicago's southwestern suburbs. For reasons that are (or aren't) a mystery, the cracks grew into dangerous dips and buckles. By May of 1998, IDOT had no choice but to close that mile-long stretch and push almost 20,000 drivers a day onto side streets that remain choked by all the traffic.

MNHighwayMan

For one thing, the mining company shouldn't just get to "have it." Their mining shouldn't have affected the road in the way it did, so there should be some sort of compensation to IDOT for the land the road sits on.

Kniwt

The Chicago Tribune reports:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-lake-shore-drive-river-bridge-closure-20190211-story.html

QuoteNorthbound Lake Shore Drive near the Chicago River is expected to stay closed until at least Tuesday evening due to two cracked steel beams that support the roadway, authorities said. The damage was caused in part by the extreme swings in weather, said Rebekah Scheinfeld, commissioner of the Chicago Department of Transportation.

... The city also found some damage on eastbound Wacker Drive to southbound Lake Shore Drive, so that ramp is also closed.

... The damaged section, built in 1986, is located just south of the steel bascule double-decker bridge over the Chicago River, which was built in 1937. It is one of the most heavily traveled structurally deficient bridges in the state, according to the American Road & Transportation Builders Association, a Washington-based trade group that uses Federal Highway Administration figures. The association said that the bridge is “functionally obsolete.”

ET21

So I assume we could see a reconstruction coming in a few years? I mean you can see steel rebar poking out of the piers..... 
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

seicer

Steel rebar showing doesn't indicate structural deficiencies. It's a normal part of everyday wear and tear and salt corrosion. It looks like the concrete was chipped off - pretty commonplace, in preparation for a patch. The bridge is only 33 years old.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.