News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

The VMS displays in Washington had been saying, for quite a while, "STAYING HOME IS SAVING LIVES -- KEEP IT UP WA!"

Just saw one yesterday that now displays something to the effect of "please slow down" since everyone is going 10 to 20 over the limit. 10 over is normal, but I'm seeing more packs of drivers going much faster than that (more than compared to pre-virus). I was briefly with a group on I-5 near Burien that was approaching 85 to 90, which is well over the limit of 60 and certainly a bit faster than most drivers would go, even when quiet. I think these "super speeders" are more common than they used to be. Not that they bother me, since everyone going fast isn't much if any more dangerous than everyone going 60, assuming herds of deer don't suddenly wander onto the freeway.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: qguy on May 24, 2020, 03:57:55 PM
Quote from: qguy on May 24, 2020, 12:40:32 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on May 23, 2020, 01:47:38 PM
A quick poll for readers! As of now, are you afraid of this virus?

1) Yes
2) No
3) Depends on if you're indoors or outdoors

I pick #3.

So much so that last week my wife and I, with our two over-18 kids, ate in at a nearby Italian café that defiantly opened ahead of the governor's orders for our PA County. (Businesses are starting to do that rather than go out of business.) The place was practicing social distancing, but no employees or patrons wore masks.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 24, 2020, 09:17:58 AM
...when I see people say things like "the staff had no masks!!!" as if it is somehow a defiant symbol of freedom, I shake my head and say WTF?

It's a simple gesture to help others.  For a society who praises the sacrifices of those in the military, or the essential workers, you would think that doing something that small wouldn't be that big of a deal.

But here we are.  Viewing it as some sort of assault on our liberties.

I have a biology degree and my wife is a nurse who works in our local hospital. We know how the virus is transmitted, we know what the stats are in our area, and we know the risks. We also know that in PA, 69% of the covid deaths have been in nursing homes. So the number of deaths in the general population is roughly only 31% of the total. We also have first responder and medical community friends who have begun to go mask-less wherever they're allowed. They've heartily approved. We'll probably patronize the restaurant again soon. Sans masks.

You are irresponsible and so are your friends. Too bad your stupidity can hurt people other than yourself.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 24, 2020, 04:26:32 PM

1) Yes
2) No

I pick #3.

So much so that last week my wife and I, with our two over-18 kids, ate in at a nearby Italian café that defiantly opened ahead of the governor's orders for our PA County. (Businesses are starting to do that rather than go out of business.) The place was practicing social distancing, but no employees or patrons wore masks.

...when I see people say things like "the staff had no masks!!!" as if it is somehow a defiant symbol of freedom, I shake my head and say WTF?

It's a simple gesture to help others.  For a society who praises the sacrifices of those in the military, or the essential workers, you would think that doing something that small wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I have a biology degree and my wife is a nurse who works in our local hospital. We know how the virus is transmitted, we know what the stats are in our area, and we know the risks. We also know that in PA, 69% of the covid deaths have been in nursing homes. So the number of deaths in the general population is roughly only 31% of the total. We also have first responder and medical community friends who have begun to go mask-less wherever they're allowed. They've heartily approved. We'll probably patronize the restaurant again soon. Sans masks.

You are irresponsible and so are your friends. Too bad your stupidity can hurt people other than yourself.

Is that example of the so called "social pressure"  I hear so much about?  If I wasn't required to wear a mask in so many places be it by ordinance, emergency law, or policy of a building I wouldn't either. 

ozarkman417

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Virus or not that's a perfect example why I usually just avoid going anywhere on holiday weekends.  I am looking forward to my days off later this week when everyone and their dog will be entrenched at wherever they work. 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2020, 04:30:39 PM

1) Yes
2) No

I pick #3.

Is that example of the so called "social pressure"  I hear so much about?  If I wasn't required to wear a mask in so many places be it by ordinance, emergency law, or policy of a building I wouldn't either. 

Congrats. You're just as selfish.

Very representative of our problems as a society.  Care more about self rather than community.

Brandon

So you think you know more than a person with a biology degree and whose wife is a nurse!?!

Congratulations, you just won the ignorant asshole commenter of the day award!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 24, 2020, 04:41:58 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 24, 2020, 04:30:39 PM

1) Yes
2) No

I pick #3.

Congrats. You're just as selfish.

Very representative of our problems as a society.  Care more about self rather than community.

Your opinion, seems like you have a problem with anyone who views things differently than you do.  I didn't even say I didn't wear a mask, I just said that I wouldn't if it was an option...it isn't.  You jumped on me probably just as fast as anyone else who offends your sensibilities.   

Scott5114

Wearing a mask is not to prevent you from catching the virus. It's to keep you from giving it to others. Thus, not wearing a mask is essentially the same as drunk driving. The law is not there to keep you from doing something stupid and hurting yourself, it's to protect the people around you from you. You don't know if the strangers you're around in the store are diabetic, or if they have some other underlying condition, or if they live with or care for someone who is high risk.

Quote from: Brandon on May 24, 2020, 04:46:58 PM
So you think you know more than a person with a biology degree and whose wife is a nurse!?!

Is the biology degree with a specialization in epidemiology? If not, it's irrelevant. Likewise, nurses do not necessarily have expertise in viral infection–a nurse who works in physical therapy or neurology wouldn't necessarily have helpful information to give, for instance.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 24, 2020, 05:40:05 PM
Wearing a mask is not to prevent you from catching the virus. It's to keep you from giving it to others. Thus, not wearing a mask is essentially the same as drunk driving. The law is not there to keep you from doing something stupid and hurting yourself, it's to protect the people around you from you. You don't know if the strangers you're around in the store are diabetic, or if they have some other underlying condition, or if they live with or care for someone who is high risk.

Is the biology degree with a specialization in epidemiology? If not, it's irrelevant. Likewise, nurses do not necessarily have expertise in viral infection–a nurse who works in physical therapy or neurology wouldn't necessarily have helpful information to give, for instance.

And just as drunken driving goes I don't engage in simply due to the fact that it is illegal...it really doesn't matter what I think one way or the other.  Right now a lot of the local communities actual can charge you with a misdemeanor crime if you don't abide by...including wearing a mask in public.  Regardless of what I think about that I don't want a $1,000 fine, potential jail time, or risking losing my job over a piece of cloth.  Either way, I don't think that anyone would disagree that avoiding others as much as possible is a far more effective measure than wearing a mask.  Hence why I'm sitting at home on Memorial Weekend banging out Highway articles as opposed to joining a mosh pit of humanity.   

To that end, places of business are perfectly within their right to require their patrons to wear masks regardless if a local order exists or not.  A private business can chose to serve whoever they wish and turn away those that won't abide by the rules of their facility.  I'm still surprised that people get angry or outraged when they are asked to leave a business that requires a mask. 

hbelkins

Use a little common sense. (Not just you, but everyone). If the mask won't prevent you from getting the virus, how can it be expected to prevent you from spreading it? Do the masks have little "one way" or "do not enter" signs on them? People act like the virus is a sentinent being that can make conscious decisions, or like a flea that jumps from one surface to another. If the virus can get in through a mask ("protecting you") then it most certainly can get out through a mask ("protecting others.")

The whole concepts of asymptomatic transmission and the virus living on external surfaces are starting to be disputed. I've seen two separate studies this weekend ripping the idea of asymptomatic transmission to shreds, and now there's evidence that the virus doesn't live on stuff like doorknobs or steering wheels the way it was once thought.

I am sick to death of this fear-mongering. I only wear a mask when required, and so far have not yet been required to, although I will the next time I am in a public area of my office. I have not worn one inside a business, and fully 60 percent of fellow shoppers I've encountered aren't wearing masks.

It's not being selfish -- it's called having discernment.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on May 24, 2020, 04:15:52 PM
Just saw one yesterday that now displays something to the effect of "please slow down" since everyone is going 10 to 20 over the limit. 10 over is normal, but I'm seeing more packs of drivers going much faster than that (more than compared to pre-virus). I was briefly with a group on I-5 near Burien that was approaching 85 to 90, which is well over the limit of 60 and certainly a bit faster than most drivers would go, even when quiet. I think these "super speeders" are more common than they used to be. Not that they bother me, since everyone going fast isn't much if any more dangerous than everyone going 60, assuming herds of deer don't suddenly wander onto the freeway.

I have noticed that here too. I used to cruise at around or just below 70 mph in 55 mph zones, and would be one of the faster ones on the road. More recently, 70-75 is the norm, and I've even been passed by people doing 80+, so I've now been picking 72 or 73 as my cruising speed. As far as enforcement, I'm not worried as long as I stay under 75 (20 over). You can get ticketed for 15-20 over, but I know all the cop hideouts for the freeways I use regularly, so I make sure to spot them early and slow down to my old speed (high 60's, usually 68 or 69).

I love the faster speeds and hope it endures well beyond the end of the pandemic. The only drawback is that getting stuck behind someone on a two-lane road, which was already annoying, has become even more so (but fortunately, it's also less frequent because of the lower overall volumes).

SEWIGuy

Congratulations, you just won the ignorant asshole commenter of the day award!

I don't think I know more than a slew of federal, state and local officials, and heads of various medical systems in my area, that say masking is important.

I don't pretend that my college degree trumps the above knowledge by people who devoted their careers to this work.

So frankly I'm not the ignorant one.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hbelkins on May 24, 2020, 06:09:36 PM

Use a little common sense. (Not just you, but everyone). If the mask won't prevent you from getting the virus, how can it be expected to prevent you from spreading it? Do the masks have little "one way" or "do not enter" signs on them? People act like the virus is a sentinent being that can make conscious decisions, or like a flea that jumps from one surface to another. If the virus can get in through a mask ("protecting you") then it most certainly can get out through a mask ("protecting others.")

The whole concepts of asymptomatic transmission and the virus living on external surfaces are starting to be disputed. I've seen two separate studies this weekend ripping the idea of asymptomatic transmission to shreds, and now there's evidence that the virus doesn't live on stuff like doorknobs or steering wheels the way it was once thought.

I am sick to death of this fear-mongering. I only wear a mask when required, and so far have not yet been required to, although I will the next time I am in a public area of my office. I have not worn one inside a business, and fully 60 percent of fellow shoppers I've encountered aren't wearing masks.

It's not only being selfish, it shows an ignorance of people who know this stuff and recommending a course of action to benefit society. But it's too hard. Good thing you bozos weren't around when Pearl Harbor was born. If it's too hard to wear a mask to benefit others, going off to war would be way to inconvenient.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 24, 2020, 06:20:09 PM

It's not only being selfish, it shows an ignorance of people who know this stuff and recommending a course of action to benefit society. But it's too hard. Good thing you bozos weren't around when Pearl Harbor was born. If it's too hard to wear a mask to benefit others, going off to war would be way to inconvenient.

Did you ever go off to war?   What does that have to do with having opinion that is different from you regarding masks?

kalvado

Common sense is not a very good tool in many cases.
We're talking about virus being spread through larger droplets coming off the mouth. People spit those out at high speed (~10 feet) when sneezing, less so when coughing (~6 feet) and talking(~3 feet). Droplets may later dry out and travel with air, but they are flying ballistically once they are coming out - and can be intercepted at that point. Remember - cover your mouth with a napkin, or at least an elbow when you sneeze/cough? That is exactly same thing - except now we care a bit more and want you to cover you... (censored)... I mean your mouth.... whenever it is opened. Mask is intercepting those droplets, pretty much like napkin - exept for you don't have to reach for napkin any more.
So yes, mask has a one way sign - virus takes different form outside and inside the mask.

See how futile your common sense is?

jemacedo9

Quote from: kalvado on May 24, 2020, 06:25:05 PM

Common sense is not a very good tool in many cases.
We're talking about virus being spread through larger droplets coming off the mouth. People spit those out at high speed (~10 feet) when sneezing, less so when coughing (~6 feet) and talking(~3 feet). Droplets may later dry out and travel with air, but they are flying ballistically once they are coming out - and can be intercepted at that point. Remember - cover your mouth with a napkin, or at least an elbow when you sneeze/cough? That is exactly same thing - except now we care a bit more and want you to cover you... (censored)... I mean your mouth.... whenever it is opened. Mask is intercepting those droplets, pretty much like napkin - exept for you don't have to reach for napkin any more.
So yes, mask has a one way sign - virus takes different form outside and inside the mask.

See how futile your common sense is?

And this is the point - respiratory droplets - that many people aren't getting, for whatever reason...and there are a lot of reasons.

A sneeze:  releases 30,000 droplets at 200MPH over 10 feet
A cough:  releases 3,000 droplets at 50 MPH over 6 feet
A breath:  releases at least 50 droplets, low velocity and distance

Talking releases 200 droplets per minute,
Talking loudly more,
Yelling or singing more.

Indoors vs outdoors is important, air movement in or out is important as well.

qguy

Y'know what I'm really tired of? When someone labels those who disagree with them as bad people. Not just holding a different opinion, not perhaps as having different ideas of how to achieve similar goals, but of being "selfish," "arrogant," and the list of insults could go on from there.

Meh, even what you think of me is just your opinion.

We ate at a local restaurant mainly to support a local business and help prevent it from disappearing. My wife and I wear masks (without complaining to people) where they are required, like my local supermarkets, pizzerias, and takeouts. But we understand that what masks mostly do is make people feel better. Most of our neighbors do not wear masks as they walk and jog around the neighborhood. (Some do.) Our friends in the neighborhood don't wear masks when we talk with each other. We don't look at masks as a sacrifice we're not willing to bear. I don't know anyone who thinks that. We think they're usually unnecessary and sometimes counterproductive. So we wear them to be nice or when it's required.

Don't like that we think that? Then take it up with the dueling experts. It would be nice if they all agreed with each other but they don't.

[Edited for typos. ]

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: qguy on May 24, 2020, 07:29:05 PM

Y'know what I'm really tired of? When someone labels those who disagree with them as bad people. Not just holding a different opinion, not perhaps as having different ideas of how to achieve similar goals, but of being "selfish," "arrogant," and the list of insults could go on from there.

We ate at a local restaurant mainly to support a local business and help prevent it from disappearing. My wife and I wear masks (without complaining to people) where they are required, like my local supermarkets, pizzerias, and takeouts. But we understand that what masks mostly do is make people feel better. Most of our neighbors do not wear masks as they walk and jog around the neighborhood. (Some do.) Our friends in the neighborhood don't wear masks when we talk with each other. We don't look at masks as a sacrifice we're not willing to bear. I don't know anyone who thinks that. We think they're usually unnecessary and sometimes counterproductive. So we wear them to be nice or when it's required.

Don't like that we think that? Then take it up with the dueling experts. It would be nice if they all agreed with each other but they don't.

I'm not going to place value judgments on people, but if you know you are going to be within 6 feet of somebody you don't live with and don't wear a mask, you are increasing the chances that person contracts the virus. If you don't think that makes you a bad person, I'm not going to argue with that.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kalvado

Problem here is that this is "the weakest link" type of a situation. Flareup will occur among those not willing to play nice - and the result more long weeks of lockdown for everyone.
This virus is too weak to cause true Darwinian selection, though...

qguy

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 24, 2020, 07:33:22 PM

I'm not going to place value judgments on people, but if you know you are going to be within 6 feet of somebody you don't live with and don't wear a mask, you are increasing the chances that person contracts the virus. If you don't think that makes you a bad person, I'm not going to argue with that.

Really can't help yourself, eh? Can't just say someone looks at it differently, maybe even say I just don't understand them? Gotta backhandedly say I'm a bad person? Ooo-kay.

wxfree

1) Yes
2) No

I pick #3.

This really isn't about fear.  Or at least it doesn't need to be.  I know I can die while driving, but I'm not afraid of it.  I even enjoy it and often drive more than I really need to.  I use the safety belt, I pay attention, I don't drive like maniac.  That doesn't take away all of the risk, but it takes away a lot of it.  Likewise, I'm not going to the crowded places we're seeing in the news, I don't stand around up close to people, if I have to go by someone in a store, I pass by swiftly.  That doesn't take away all of the risk, but it takes away a lot of it.  Unless we get a vaccine soon, which is unlikely, it's probable that a substantial portion of the population will catch this.  I might have had it in March, I had something that wasn't very bad, which this is for some people.  If I haven't had it yet, I want to avoid catching it if I can at least until we have effective treatments.

Fear is an interesting thing.  It's an emotion, but it's also a motivation, or more accurately, a motivator.  Fear can call to action make people more vigilant, and it an also cause people to collapse.  As with many emotions, it's up to us to use it well and not be harmed by it.  I treat this virus like a car, or a rattlesnake.  Either can kill me, but that's a lot more likely if I do something stupid.  It may be inevitable that many of us catch it.  Even in that case, caution is still helpful.  At a minimum, we want to avoid all catching it at once so we don't have people dying in hospital parking lots with no one to help them.  Also, the more we can hold it back until we get some good treatments, the better.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: qguy on May 24, 2020, 07:43:27 PM

Really can't help yourself, eh? Can't just say someone looks at it differently, maybe even say I just don't understand them? Gotta backhandedly say I'm a bad person? Ooo-kay.

"Looking at it differently" or "don't understand them" are code for "science isn't convenient for me so I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist"
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

wxfree

I haven't worn a mask at all.  It isn't required anywhere I've gone.  But in stores I keep a distance from people and I keep my mouth closed.  I've been in a store and had someone crowd up behind me in line and exhale vigorously.  I wanted to turn around and give an expression of disapproval, but it was probably best not to turn around.  I have a mask and I would put it on if I were going to be close to someone for a while or talking.  I don't really want to wear it, but I would if circumstances warranted.  Other than people standing too close behind me, where they aren't really in the path of me breathing, things aren't so crowded that I can't keep a pretty consistent distance or pass by someone within a few seconds.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Eth

Just imagine the resistance if y'all actually had to do something difficult.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.