News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where does the NYC metro area end and the Philly metro begin?

Started by CapeCodder, January 12, 2021, 01:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed too that the same question can be used for going west.  Where does the NYC metro area meet the Lehigh Valley Metro Area?  I would definitely have to say the Musconetcong River.   Hunterdon County is really the NYC area while Warren to the west of it having Phillipsburg its largest city next to Easton, part of the big three in PA creating the Lehigh Valley Region.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Takumi on January 16, 2021, 09:15:41 AM
Quote from: oscar on January 16, 2021, 02:58:26 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on January 15, 2021, 11:38:50 AM
Quote from: Takumi on January 15, 2021, 08:12:47 AM
Quote from: qguy on January 14, 2021, 09:36:57 PM
Wherever people stop calling the sandwiches subs and start calling them hoagies. I'm not sure where that is, but find that line and you'll know where NYC ends and Phila begins.
So where Wawas start appearing?

There's a Wawa on Route 18, though, and that's def still NYC area

Also three in Neptune, within Monmouth County. at least. Wawa seems to be expanding its North Jersey presence, as is has already in the Mid-Atlantic states down to Hopewell VA, and also in parts of FL.
To my knowledge, they've gone east from Hopewell to Hampton Roads (I know for sure there's one on the east side of Williamsburg), but not into North Carolina.

I believe their plans are to stop in VA going south, but going North from Florida I believe they are going to enter Georgia.

Takumi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 16, 2021, 12:01:21 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 16, 2021, 09:15:41 AM
Quote from: oscar on January 16, 2021, 02:58:26 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on January 15, 2021, 11:38:50 AM
Quote from: Takumi on January 15, 2021, 08:12:47 AM
Quote from: qguy on January 14, 2021, 09:36:57 PM
Wherever people stop calling the sandwiches subs and start calling them hoagies. I'm not sure where that is, but find that line and you'll know where NYC ends and Phila begins.
So where Wawas start appearing?

There's a Wawa on Route 18, though, and that's def still NYC area

Also three in Neptune, within Monmouth County. at least. Wawa seems to be expanding its North Jersey presence, as is has already in the Mid-Atlantic states down to Hopewell VA, and also in parts of FL.
To my knowledge, they've gone east from Hopewell to Hampton Roads (I know for sure there's one on the east side of Williamsburg), but not into North Carolina.

I believe their plans are to stop in VA going south, but going North from Florida I believe they are going to enter Georgia.

Makes sense. The I-95 and I-85 corridors in North Carolina are Sheetz territory, though it's a long gap from the one in Petersburg to the ones in Henderson (85) and Roanoke Rapids (95).
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

You might find this interesting
mdpi.com/2306-5729/4/2/59/htm
It redefines metro boundaries based on building footprints . Based on this they are one of course There are all the differences mentioned.
Building footprints were used to get a population estimate for Nigeria much lower than estimated.
The maps here of 125 million buildings gives a good view of built up areas and their road connections.

Sctvhound

Ocean County is a middle ground. Between that and Monmouth you can get both markets. In Manasquan and Point Pleasant I can get FM stations from both markets. The New York signals are better, but I can flip between WCBS-FM on 101.1 and the Philly station with my antenna.

Point Pleasant gets all of the Philly stations, plus CSN Philly, while Manasquan in Monmouth County gets I think just one Philly station (WPVI)

I did a FM bandscan from Manasquan and New York is clearer.

https://youtu.be/4oojOOrMmfo

Roadrunner75

Ocean County is really split between the two.  I fly my Eagles flag proudly here off the front porch and Comcast gets me both the Philly and NYC channels.   South of Toms River it starts to switch over, and you can get a good Philly/South Jersey crowd in Long Beach Island.

I would run the line roughly from Princeton southeast to Toms River.

Quote from: CapeCodder on January 13, 2021, 02:22:30 AM
I miss the old Hagstrom Maps. I have a Philly Metro street atlas made by Franklin Maps (I wonder if they're even still around?)
I really liked Franklin maps.  I grew up on a map drawer full of them.

TheGrassGuy

Three words: Province. Line. Road.

(source: am a born and raised New Jerseyan)
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.