News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you know anybody who has never left their home state?

Started by bugo, January 15, 2021, 09:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: bing101 on January 25, 2021, 01:33:01 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2021, 10:17:44 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 24, 2021, 01:53:28 PM
After COVID we're probably going to have a lot of these types of people...

If COVID lasted for many years, maybe. But if anything people will be even more anxious to travel after it's over... at least I will be.

Same here

After the Spanish flu pandemic was the Roaring Twenties. I imagine a decent number of people will make a point to have a lot of fun over the coming decade after having been cooped up for a year and a half.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 26, 2021, 03:30:35 PM
Quote from: bing101 on January 25, 2021, 01:33:01 PM

If COVID lasted for many years, maybe. But if anything people will be even more anxious to travel after it's over... at least I will be.

Same here

After the Spanish flu pandemic and the Great War was the Roaring Twenties. I imagine a decent number of people will make a point to have a lot of fun over the coming decade after having been cooped up for a year and a half.

Let's not forget the other part of that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheGrassGuy

COVID's going to last forever. But many experts agree the measures in many states will probably remain in place until fall this year, or 2022. So yes, the disruption will last for years.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 05, 2021, 02:33:55 PM

COVID's going to last forever. But many experts agree the measures in many states will probably remain in place until fall this year, or 2022. So yes, the disruption will last for years.

While I agree that COVID will be around (in some form) forever, I doubt that the disruptions will last "years." The most effective vaccine is 95% effective (and even the one that is less effective is 100% effective against serious illness and death). We're well on our way towards having a path to getting this under control.

I think we'll have to get used to COVID existing as a risk but the advancement of vaccines and treatments for COVID make it much more manageable.

Laura

Quote from: Sctvhound on January 16, 2021, 11:51:10 PM
In Charleston it is actually decently common, especially among the Black community. I know more than a few folks who never have gone outside of the Charleston area (James Island/John's Island/Downtown) well into their 20s. It all depends on money. A lot of folks don't have a car and going to areas more than a couple of miles away through the bus system is a trek.

I know folks who have never even been to some of the more suburban areas like Summerville from James Island.

It is probably the majority in some of the rural counties of South Carolina. There are rural counties like Williamsburg and Allendale where for a large chunk of the population, they might go to the major city once or twice in a year and that is it. Then I know of others who drive 50 miles+ just to shop in North Charleston and Charleston.

Because Maryland is such a small state, I suspect that the percentage of black folks in Baltimore who have never left the state is low (DC is 30-40 miles away) but never left the region is higher.

This does have be wondering now what the furtherest distance is in Maryland to another state...

1995hoo

Quote from: Laura on February 16, 2021, 06:07:26 AM
Quote from: Sctvhound on January 16, 2021, 11:51:10 PM
In Charleston it is actually decently common, especially among the Black community. I know more than a few folks who never have gone outside of the Charleston area (James Island/John's Island/Downtown) well into their 20s. It all depends on money. A lot of folks don't have a car and going to areas more than a couple of miles away through the bus system is a trek.

I know folks who have never even been to some of the more suburban areas like Summerville from James Island.

It is probably the majority in some of the rural counties of South Carolina. There are rural counties like Williamsburg and Allendale where for a large chunk of the population, they might go to the major city once or twice in a year and that is it. Then I know of others who drive 50 miles+ just to shop in North Charleston and Charleston.

Because Maryland is such a small state, I suspect that the percentage of black folks in Baltimore who have never left the state is low (DC is 30-40 miles away) but never left the region is higher.

This does have be wondering now what the furtherest distance is in Maryland to another state...

I suppose that depends in part on whether you mean as the crow flies or by road. The latter is obviously more realistic. I'd expect it's generally been somewhere in southern Maryland in either Calvert or St. Mary's County, although the closure of White's Ferry makes me wonder whether somewhere in western Montgomery County might have it at the moment.

Edited to add: Regarding demographics, the fellow I mentioned in Reply #19 who insisted there is no speed limit higher than 55 mph anywhere in the USA is black, although I highly doubt that would have played into his apparently not travelling anywhere. He was a strange guy. Nice fellow on the whole, but definitely weird in terms of mannerisms and opinions (and, of course, his belief on the 55-mph thing, approximately 24 years after that law was repealed, was just the most obvious of those!). The thing I found bizarre was simply that there might even be a possibility that someone living and working in Washington, DC, might not have been out of the District.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: The Nature Boy on February 15, 2021, 10:05:00 PM

While I agree that COVID will be around (in some form) forever, I doubt that the disruptions will last "years." The most effective vaccine is 95% effective (and even the one that is less effective is 100% effective against serious illness and death). We're well on our way towards having a path to getting this under control.

I think we'll have to get used to COVID existing as a risk but the advancement of vaccines and treatments for COVID make it much more manageable.

If there's one thing I've learned during COVID, it's that we such at predicting the future.

So, what's my prediction?  That it will be around forever, or else it will go away, or else it will be linger but not be nearly as bad, or else it will recur every several years or decades.  Also, that vaccinations will remain effective, or else will have to be re-engineered every year, or else will merely produce more and more deadly strains, or else will eradicate the virus entirely.  Also, that restrictions and other measures will remain in effect for years to come, or else will be dropped as soon as possible, or else will vary from place to place.  Yep, one of those things will happen.  Or maybe not.  I don't know anymore.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2021, 09:59:54 AM

If there's one thing I've learned during COVID, it's that we such at predicting the future.

So, what's my prediction?  That it will be around forever, or else it will go away, or else it will be linger but not be nearly as bad, or else it will recur every several years or decades.  Also, that vaccinations will remain effective, or else will have to be re-engineered every year, or else will merely produce more and more deadly strains, or else will eradicate the virus entirely.  Also, that restrictions and other measures will remain in effect for years to come, or else will be dropped as soon as possible, or else will vary from place to place.  Yep, one of those things will happen.  Or maybe not.

-Chief Health Officer of Alanland
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

bing101

Quote from: keithvh on January 26, 2021, 02:10:24 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 22, 2021, 08:49:58 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 21, 2021, 10:09:29 AM
After HI, AK, FL, CA, and TX, what state do you think has the 6th largest percentage? Utah, maybe?

When I started at Louisiana St. one of the geography professors there stated that Louisiana had the highest population that never left their state. But that was before Katrina (and hurricane evacuation plans)

The LSU professor may have been chatting about a "related but different" stat --- Louisiana is number one in the nation in terms of percentage of current residents who were also born in the state.

The states that come next in that metric are Michigan, Ohio, PA, Mississippi, Wisconsin, Iowa, Alabama, Kentucky and West Virginia.  Those states clump around 2 regions.

https://www.ncdemography.org/2020/01/24/how-many-people-were-born-in-the-state-they-currently-live-in/

Nevada is rank 1st for having the most Transplants and Arizona at least some of this has to do with Ex-California Residents retiring. Oregon and Washington State within the Top 10 yes they are factors too in terms of getting some of the Ex-California Residents and companies.

Wyoming would have to be a surprise one with the most transplants given the rankings.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 16, 2021, 10:19:27 AM
Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2021, 09:59:54 AM

So, what's my prediction?  That it will be around forever, or else it will go away, or else it will be linger but not be nearly as bad, or else it will recur every several years or decades.  Also, that vaccinations will remain effective, or else will have to be re-engineered every year, or else will merely produce more and more deadly strains, or else will eradicate the virus entirely.  Also, that restrictions and other measures will remain in effect for years to come, or else will be dropped as soon as possible, or else will vary from place to place.  Yep, one of those things will happen.  Or maybe not.

-Chief Health Officer of Alanland

How's Alanland doing with vaccine distribution, by the way? :sombrero:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

NWI_Irish96

I don't know anybody who has never left their home state, but my father-in-law left only once--to go to basic training and then to Vietnam. Hasn't left Indiana since he got back.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 22, 2021, 07:24:03 AM
How's Alanland doing with vaccine distribution, by the way? :sombrero:

Oh.  Oh, my.  Even I won't bite at that one.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.