News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lesser Divides

Started by kphoger, January 20, 2021, 10:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on January 20, 2021, 09:29:05 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 20, 2021, 03:54:25 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 20, 2021, 03:41:59 PM
I've always wondered where the Spanish-French line is in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Specifically, how close do you need to be to Quebec for French to become more common than Spanish (the default second most common language in the US)?

I don't know where the line is, but I do know that it would also extend into New York. I-87 in the North Country has some French signage, and Quebec license plates are very common there in the summer months.
Bear in mind that the signage on I-87 is for Canadian travelers... not locals who speak the language (yes, there are still native francophones in New England!).

There's actually French signage on the Northway as far south as Clifton Park.

There's also plenty of French signage in the French Canadian Riviera aka Old Orchard Beach, ME: a very popular beach destination for the Quebecois. 

Surprised no one else brought up the old Jersey standard: pork roll vs Taylor ham.  Not much of a thing where I live in CT, but I read about it and the whole North/South Jersey divide on the name.  I was discussing it with a guy from NJ one day who lived in North Jersey, and he always called it pork roll; he had never heard the term Taylor ham, despite it being a more common term in his native part (there is one bagel store near me that does call it Taylor ham, but Shop Rite is diplomatic in it's circular and calls it "Taylor Pork Roll".
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

In Saskatchewan, a pullover sweatshirt with a hood is called a bunnyhug.

I've read that it is so firmly a Saskatchewan term, that residents of Lloydminster are sharply divided:  those on the west side of 50 Ave (the provincial line) say hoodie, while those on the east side of 50 Ave say bunnyhug.

Not having personally been there, I'm unable to confirm.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.