News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What time zone do you live in?

Started by STLmapboy, February 01, 2021, 10:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What time zone do you currently reside in

Eastern
23 (38.3%)
Central
21 (35%)
Mountain
5 (8.3%)
Pacific
4 (6.7%)
Alaska
0 (0%)
Hawaii-Aleutian
1 (1.7%)
Other
6 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 60

STLmapboy

I reside in the Central timezone, have all my life. I've been to all six US state timezones.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

KeithE4Phx

I put "other," because Arizona doesn't observe daylight time, other than the Navajo Nation.  It's called Mountain Standard Time year-round, but for the purposes of real life (like live TV/sports), it's Mountain time between early November and early March, and Pacific time the rest of the year.

In any case, Arizona time is UTC-7 all the time.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KEVIN_224

Eastern. Connecticut native and two stints in Maine.

Daylight saving time isn't observed in Hawaii or Puerto Rico either. Some people proposed putting Maine on Atlantic standard time year round, just like Puerto Rico. Lastly, I was told that British Columbia will go to permanent Pacific daylight time.

maplou

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 01, 2021, 11:52:33 PM
Some people proposed putting Maine on Atlantic standard time year round
Year round AST can't come soon enough. If only anyone was just willing to do it without saying: "We need to wait for all of the east coast"  :poke:

Rothman

I want EDT year-round.

We all know what this thread will devolve into...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

STLmapboy

You all know what I mean. EST and EDT, CST and CDT, MST and MDT, PST and PDT. Those are the four categories (plus the other two). There should be no further discussion of DST here.

And, for the purposes of this thread, Arizona is Mountain.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Do we have any members from the Atlantic Time part of Canada?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

CNGL-Leudimin

My vote is legitimately for Other, since my real time zone is Central... Europe :sombrero:. I state I use Eastern, or more precisely 6 hours behind my time (to account for different DST start/end dates), for this forum's purposes, but in practice I seldom use it. Heck, I even track Big Rig Steve around the country using my time zone!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheHighwayMan3561

Central time, the best of all of them/
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US 89

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 02, 2021, 04:18:42 PM
Central time, the best of all of them

False. Mountain time is the best time zone in existence.

Although I currently live in Eastern.

Konza

Quote from: STLmapboy on February 02, 2021, 12:51:01 AM

Then change at least two of us from "Other" to Mountain.

I don't know what is more frustrating- changing your clock twice a year, or having your time zone change on you twice a year.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

kphoger

Why did people put "other" just because their state doesn't observe DST?  Did the choices on the poll used to specify "standard time" but now they don't?  All they say for me is "Central" or "Mountain" or whatever–don't specify "Standard" at all.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

oscar

Quote from: 1 on February 02, 2021, 06:55:35 AM

At least one, from Nova Scotia.

Probably nobody from the Newfoundland time zone.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 89 on February 02, 2021, 05:02:24 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 02, 2021, 04:18:42 PM
Central time, the best of all of them

False. Mountain time is the best time zone in existence.

Although I currently live in Eastern.

Agreed.  Having lived in all of the main four in the U.S., I think Mountain is the best.  Sports are timed just about perfectly and you're not more than three hours away from anyone else in the U.S..

Chris

jakeroot

All of you are wrong. Pacific is best because you cannot beat its geographic diversity. Fight me.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jakeroot on February 02, 2021, 05:50:52 PM
All of you are wrong. Pacific is best because you cannot beat its geographic diversity. Fight me.

NFL games shouldn't begin at 10 AM.  That's at least a couple of hours before beer o'clock.

Chris

ethanhopkin14

I am part of the group that was listening to the last part of the program time when commercials for shows/sporting events were on TV.

"At 8:00/7:00 Central"

Scott5114

UTC+8
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: jayhawkco on February 02, 2021, 06:04:40 PM

NFL games shouldn't begin at 10 AM.  That's at least a couple of hours before beer o'clock.

Chris

I'm not here to discuss facts and evidence.

STLmapboy

Quote from: Konza on February 02, 2021, 05:08:14 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on February 02, 2021, 12:51:01 AM

Then change at least two of us from "Other" to Mountain.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

No, but I can't change poll results. Poll takers can remove their own votes and revote.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

webny99

Quote from: STLmapboy on February 01, 2021, 10:28:48 PM
I've been to all six US state timezones.

You've been to both Alaska and Hawaii at age 16?  Must be nice.

tolbs17

hbelkins

This thread is calling for me to again express my absolute hatred for Central time and my desire for year-round DST.

I'm in the Eastern Time Zone, on the western edge of it. Before Wayne County was moved from Central to Eastern, I was only four counties away from a Central Time Zone county (Wayne borders Pulaski, Pulaski borders Laurel, Laurel borders Jackson, and Jackson borders Lee.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bluenoser

Quote from: 1 on February 02, 2021, 06:55:35 AM

Reporting for duty   :biggrin:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.