News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Has anybody ever attempted an eating challenge?

Started by OCGuy81, February 05, 2021, 10:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 10, 2021, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: CapeCodder on February 10, 2021, 02:53:48 PM
The key was to smoke some weed first, then wait for the munchies to hit.

Performance-enhancing drugs, huh?

You could call it that. Scotty's is long gone. They got busted in a fentanyl sting and were forced to close as the owner went to prison.

kphoger

Quote from: CapeCodder on February 10, 2021, 03:06:28 PM

You could call it that. Scotty's is long gone. They got busted in a fentanyl sting and were forced to close as the owner went to prison.

Well, that explains where you obtained the weed.  It probably came in a little to-go cup on the tray.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on February 10, 2021, 03:10:50 PM

Well, that explains where you obtained the weed.  It probably came in a little to-go cup on the tray.

While the visual's funny...fentanyl is a way different animal than weed. From what I know of cannabis cultivation, a weed operation and a fentanyl operation would be different enough that there wouldn't be much overlap between the two, even back in the bad old days when you couldn't get licensed to cultivate weed. Unless it was just a Drugs R Us one-stop-shop distribution ring.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CapeCodder

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 10, 2021, 03:30:05 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 10, 2021, 03:10:50 PM

While the visual's funny...fentanyl is a way different animal than weed. From what I know of cannabis cultivation, a weed operation and a fentanyl operation would be different enough that there wouldn't be much overlap between the two, even back in the bad old days when you couldn't get licensed to cultivate weed. Unless it was just a Drugs R Us one-stop-shop distribution ring.

Before it was Scotty's it was this nasty Chinese restaurant called Shanghai, which was busted for you guessed it: Heroin and Fentanyl.

zachary_amaryllis

this is why i am 86'd out of two buffets in this area.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

sparker

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 06, 2021, 12:39:04 PM
Never actually done it, but there was a pizza place in Purcell, Oklahoma that featured something similar to the Big Texan, but with an enormous pizza. It was so big they allowed two people to eat it as part of the challenge. We were going to get a couple of guys together to make the attempt, but never managed to do it before the place shut down.

Back in the early '80's there was a pizza place in Santa Clara, CA (on El Camino Real/CA 82) just east of Lawrence Expressway called Peppino's, and they featured a 30" diameter "super-large" pie -- along with a challenge for one person to eat a whole 3-topping version solo in a half hour.  I had a friend (and former co-worker) who stood 6'7" and weighed in at about 315 pounds and had the reputation for consuming heroic amounts of food.  We put him up to it, since the prize was 2 months of unlimited food for the winner.  Took him all of 12 minutes to complete the task -- with sausage, mushrooms, and extra garlic!  Thus we feasted free for a couple of months back in the spring of '82!  The place lasted until 2013, when the block where it was located was redeveloped into condos.  My "food vacuum" friend moved back to his original home in Janesville, Wisconsin in the early '90's and I lost track of him -- hopefully for his own sake he didn't engage in too much competitive eating once back home.

My only venture into the field was in college.  I was considerably thinner back then; 5-7 and just under 150 pounds -- but one of the other dorm halls (something of a "jock" hall) had a standing challenge -- drink a 40 ounce bottle of "Old English 800" malt liquor in ten minutes and everyone in that hall (about 50 guys) would chip in two bucks as a prize.  I took the challenge -- but stuck my bottle in the dorm lounge freezer until it was below 35 degrees, which took away much of the "skunky" character typical of that shit and made it tolerable.  Came out about 80 bucks to the good on that one; a couple of guys thought that I cheated with the bottle-chilling (the contest was subsequently modified to room-temperature) and wouldn't pony up the money -- and I had no intention of pressing the issue.     

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.