News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 10, 2023, 08:24:43 PM
I am resisting the urge to complain about the soon severe lack of auto-useful rest areas in this state. But when I was down in Evansville a couple of weeks ago I saw that their visitor center along the Ohio River has closed. So, if they do it right, a new welcome center along I-69 in the Evansville area could also double as a general visitor center for Evansville for traffic coming from the north.
I can give them a perfect site for a rest area/welcome center that could also serve S/B traffic and is located at an existing interchange, would have its own stoplight assisted access point and would only require a couple of property owners to sell their land.  SE corner of Exit 5. Some of it is just sitting there right now as unused/non-built land.

tdindy88

Saw this this morning, but Indiana is about to change its entrance signage along the highways into the state. For nearly as long as I've been alive the signs have always stayed the same with the red outline of the state on the blue sign plus the words "Welcome to Indiana" and "Crossroads of America." They weren't the most impressive signs out there but they were always very serviceable. Adding the stuff about Lincoln's Boyhood Home and Benjamin Harrison was a bit more dubious.

The new sign is a darker shade of blue, looks like its a license plate, and has the words "More to Discover In Indiana." with "IN Indiana" written a certain way. I've seen this on newer tourism stuff so I know they're trying to incorporate that into the signage here. Also they included the year the state was admitted into the union.

This link talks about the new sign and shows the older sign as well: https://wkdq.com/new-highway-signs-unveiled-to-welcome-visitors-to-indiana/

And the signs should be up on the interstates real quick too, like before Memorial Day weekend so those entering the state for the 500 will be able to view them. Personally I'm mixed on this new sign. It doesn't look too bad or busy, I guess it works. But I'm not real big on "More to Discover." The "IN Indiana" stuff is more clever and I like how they have the state outline in the name itself, but "More to Discover" sounds to generic. Not when compared to "Pure Michigan" or "Unbridled Spirit" for Kentucky. It's typical of this state to never try something real bold and defining that knocks it out of the park, just "More to Discover." And on top of all of that, I think they missed a huge opportunity that is simply way too obvious. The signs should be saying "Back Home Again IN Indiana." That would be something that conjures up images of the state and the 500 and since they were announcing this at the Speedway it could have worked even better. Also, I don't get what mentioning 1816 does. We're the 19th State in the Union, 1816 would have been nice to mention for the Bicentennial but since that's over I don't think it's information that anyone passing through the state is ever going to care about.

But for now I guess there will be "more" for us to discover.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 19, 2023, 04:40:11 PM
Saw this this morning, but Indiana is about to change its entrance signage along the highways into the state. For nearly as long as I've been alive the signs have always stayed the same with the red outline of the state on the blue sign plus the words "Welcome to Indiana" and "Crossroads of America." They weren't the most impressive signs out there but they were always very serviceable. Adding the stuff about Lincoln's Boyhood Home and Benjamin Harrison was a bit more dubious.

The new sign is a darker shade of blue, looks like its a license plate, and has the words "More to Discover In Indiana." with "IN Indiana" written a certain way. I've seen this on newer tourism stuff so I know they're trying to incorporate that into the signage here. Also they included the year the state was admitted into the union.

This link talks about the new sign and shows the older sign as well: https://wkdq.com/new-highway-signs-unveiled-to-welcome-visitors-to-indiana/

And the signs should be up on the interstates real quick too, like before Memorial Day weekend so those entering the state for the 500 will be able to view them. Personally I'm mixed on this new sign. It doesn't look too bad or busy, I guess it works. But I'm not real big on "More to Discover." The "IN Indiana" stuff is more clever and I like how they have the state outline in the name itself, but "More to Discover" sounds to generic. Not when compared to "Pure Michigan" or "Unbridled Spirit" for Kentucky. It's typical of this state to never try something real bold and defining that knocks it out of the park, just "More to Discover." And on top of all of that, I think they missed a huge opportunity that is simply way too obvious. The signs should be saying "Back Home Again IN Indiana." That would be something that conjures up images of the state and the 500 and since they were announcing this at the Speedway it could have worked even better. Also, I don't get what mentioning 1816 does. We're the 19th State in the Union, 1816 would have been nice to mention for the Bicentennial but since that's over I don't think it's information that anyone passing through the state is ever going to care about.

But for now I guess there will be "more" for us to discover.

I think the slogan is a little dull, but the signage is more modern looking and matches their current campaign. I would also get rid of the year and put the web address there instead.

https://www.visitindiana.com/

cjw2001

Since construction has started at 146th Street and Allisonville Road I was checking out the highway department web site for the project and came across this rendering of the new interchange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfFIutNWKvs

74/171FAN

I believe this sign is an error now due to IN 267 being relinquished south of I-74.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218771878248557&set=a.10218771940010101)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tdindy88

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 20, 2023, 07:48:55 PM
I believe this sign is an error now due to IN 267 being relinquished south of I-74.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218771878248557&set=a.10218771940010101)

It is. It should probably read Quaker Blvd now. It should honestly read Plainfield but they changed the signage at Exit 66 to just mention Quaker Blvd. There's another sign on I-65 south of Downtown that had Greenwood on it, but the exit's been changed to Main St.

bmeiser

I think the design of the sign is great, other than the state being in the D. I don't have a problem with the date at the bottom but I do think they missed an opportunity with having "Back Home Again" instead of More to Discover"

Pixel 7

SEWIGuy

Quote from: bmeiser on May 20, 2023, 10:01:39 PM
I think the design of the sign is great, other than the state being in the D. I don't have a problem with the date at the bottom but I do think they missed an opportunity with having "Back Home Again" instead of More to Discover"

What does "Back Home Again"  mean to people who don't make Indiana their home?

bmeiser

It's a slogan. Intended to make people that aren't from the state feel welcome, as if they were home.

Pixel 7

skluth

Quote from: bmeiser on May 22, 2023, 01:12:19 AM
It's a slogan. Intended to make people that aren't from the state feel welcome, as if they were home.

Pixel 7

If that's the case, I just find that weird and nonsensicle

hobsini2

Quote from: skluth on May 22, 2023, 11:17:09 AM
Quote from: bmeiser on May 22, 2023, 01:12:19 AM

Pixel 7

If that's the case, I just find that weird and nonsensicle
They could go back to "Wander in Indiana"
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

CtrlAltDel

I would get rid of the date as well, and somehow add in the phrase "Welcome to."
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

PurdueBill

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 22, 2023, 01:49:03 PM
I would get rid of the date as well, and somehow add in the phrase "Welcome to."

Yep!!  I don't get the new generation of state signs that don't say Welcome or Entering or anything like that.  Ohio's current ones (which just came out fairly recently) are similar with "Ohio: find it here" as the then-current state tourism logo--which is now gone in favor of a return to "The Heart of It All" (so will they change the signs? probably not).  The old "Massachusetts Welcomes You" type message seems to be clearest.

NWI_Irish96

How many people will see a slogan on a sign and decide to increase or decrease the amount of time they spend in the state because of it?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 22, 2023, 03:35:29 PM

Yep!!  I don't get the new generation of state signs that don't say Welcome or Entering or anything like that.  Ohio's current ones (which just came out fairly recently) are similar with "Ohio: find it here" as the then-current state tourism logo--which is now gone in favor of a return to "The Heart of It All" (so will they change the signs? probably not).  The old "Massachusetts Welcomes You" type message seems to be clearest.

Yeah, it's all about the marketing and not any sort of, even perfunctory, greeting.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

skluth

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 22, 2023, 10:25:50 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on May 22, 2023, 03:35:29 PM

Yeah, it's all about the marketing and not any sort of, even perfunctory, greeting.

Worse. It's marketing by committee.

tdindy88

I know this isn't the best sampling size, but judging by the comments on all six of INDOT's districts Facebook pages, plus the ones on various media sites around Indianapolis, the public overwhelming hate the new design. Seeing what they look like out in the field, they look even worse. And on some of the signs they keep the stupid Benjamin Harrison and Lincoln's Boyhood stuff too. So much unnecessary stuff! I don't know the possibility of doing so but I kind of hope they bring back the old signs. And if they just HAVE to have this tourism slogan stuff, get rid of the Harrison and Lincoln stuff at the bottom and have a smaller sign with the "More to Discover In Indiana" stuff at the bottom as an appendix to the larger Welcome to Indiana sign.

silverback1065

the crossroads of america is fine with me  :-D

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/articles/indot-renovating-black-river-welcome-center

"INDOT renovating Black River Welcome Center

POSEY COUNTY, Ind. - The Indiana Department of Transportation said Thursday it will close the Black River Welcome Center on eastbound I-64 in Posey County for reconstruction. The closure, set to begin next week, is expected to last about two years.

The new center will add many features beyond the typical restroom and snack stop, according to INDOT.

The building will feature characteristics of a log cabin resembling President Abraham Lincoln's childhood home with exhibits of the area's history. There will be two new restroom facilities for truck drivers, including four individual ADA-accessible restrooms per building.

The parking capacity will also increase, with 75 spaces for semi-trucks and 55 spaces for cars. Outside of the center there will be a children's playground, adult recreation area with a walking trail and a dog park.

Crews will fully demolish the existing building before beginning the reconstruction. The new facility is expected to open in 2025.

INDOT did not disclose its financial investment in the project. The Black River Welcome Center is located about 33 miles northwest of Evansville.

The project is part of a 10-year plan by INDOT to improve Indiana's 26 rest areas and welcome centers. When complete, the project will add more than 1,100 semitrailer parking spaces statewide.

Earlier this week, INDOT broke ground on a $58.5 million reconstruction of the Clear Creek Welcome Center near Terre Haute, which will pay homage to the state's racing history."

ITB

J Turns coming to SR 37 in Monroe County

To improve the SR 37/Dillman Road intersection in southern Monroe County, INDOT is moving forward with a plan that features J turns. The plan is to eliminate left turns from Dillman Road to SR 37, and, instead, create two J turns on SR 37. The project is anticipated to be let in the fall, with construction getting underway in the spring of 2024.

An article about the project, which includes a schematic, can be accessed here.

tdindy88

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on May 26, 2023, 03:23:43 PM
https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/articles/indot-renovating-black-river-welcome-center

"INDOT renovating Black River Welcome Center

POSEY COUNTY, Ind. - The Indiana Department of Transportation said Thursday it will close the Black River Welcome Center on eastbound I-64 in Posey County for reconstruction. The closure, set to begin next week, is expected to last about two years.

The new center will add many features beyond the typical restroom and snack stop, according to INDOT.

The building will feature characteristics of a log cabin resembling President Abraham Lincoln's childhood home with exhibits of the area's history. There will be two new restroom facilities for truck drivers, including four individual ADA-accessible restrooms per building.

The parking capacity will also increase, with 75 spaces for semi-trucks and 55 spaces for cars. Outside of the center there will be a children's playground, adult recreation area with a walking trail and a dog park.

Crews will fully demolish the existing building before beginning the reconstruction. The new facility is expected to open in 2025.

INDOT did not disclose its financial investment in the project. The Black River Welcome Center is located about 33 miles northwest of Evansville.

The project is part of a 10-year plan by INDOT to improve Indiana's 26 rest areas and welcome centers. When complete, the project will add more than 1,100 semitrailer parking spaces statewide.

Earlier this week, INDOT broke ground on a $58.5 million reconstruction of the Clear Creek Welcome Center near Terre Haute, which will pay homage to the state's racing history."

Hopefully this nice looking welcome center will include signage telling motorists that it will be roughly 140 miles until the next rest area, unless they drive a big rig.

It sounds like they should have also kept the welcome center on I-64 westbound west of New Albany. They could have made that one fancy too. Do drivers coming into Indiana but utilizing I-64 west from Louisville deserve nothing? But if you're coming from Illinois then yes?

And north of Henryville on I-65, no rest areas for non truck-driving motorists for the rest of I-65's northbound existence. I guess with that plan you'll have no other choice than to find "more to discover in Indiana."

Finally, just a curious thought, but by the fancy new welcome center on I-65 around the Kankakee River. It looks like a good idea, but aren't there already welcome centers along the Borman Expressway and I-94 in Michigan City. At least that Kankakee River Welcome Center could come with the wonderful sign "Next Rest Area 255 Miles!"

pianocello

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 27, 2023, 05:09:26 AM
Hopefully this nice looking welcome center will include signage telling motorists that it will be roughly 140 miles until the next rest area, unless they drive a big rig.

I'm confused
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

tdindy88

Quote from: pianocello on May 27, 2023, 08:46:26 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 27, 2023, 05:09:26 AM

I'm confused

I was slightly in error on that one. The eastbound I-64 rest area is slated to be closed around 2025 as INDOT's plan of modernizing the rest areas is having less of them to modernize. So semi drivers will also have to wait 140 miles before the next rest area. The westbound one at that location will become just truck parking. Which means westbound travelers along I-64, who don't drive semis, will have no rest areas in Indiana. That's about 184 miles between rest areas in the future.

Great Lakes Roads

https://improvetomove32.com/landing/

Project website to improve Indiana SR 32 between Westfield and Noblesville from a two-lane road to a four-lane road with a curbed median. Between the US 31 interchange in Westfield and downtown Noblesville, there will be 11 roundabouts once all of these projects get done.

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on May 29, 2023, 06:27:36 PM
https://improvetomove32.com/landing/

Project website to improve Indiana SR 32 between Westfield and Noblesville from a two-lane road to a four-lane road with a curbed median. Between the US 31 interchange in Westfield and downtown Noblesville, there will be 11 roundabouts once all of these projects get done.

I'm confused, this looks like a road in Carmel  :-D this has to cost a pretty penny!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.