News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Because putting it on the default license plate wasn't bad enough.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NJRoadfan

What is it with Virginia and white on black signs? Reminds me of the RADAR DETECTORS ILLEGAL signs (perhaps they should have incorporated it into the new sign!). The font screams 70s for some reason. Also, a welcome sign on the airport exit isn't all that unusual. NC has one at the exit from RDU for example.

1995hoo

Hideous. I've always hated that slogan, too.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

"Single People Not Admitted"?

mtantillo

Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of a black background. This is a tourism industry initiative.

NE2

Very easy to spraypaint an S over the heart.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: mtantillo on January 06, 2015, 05:26:45 PM
Virginia has a new "Welcome to Virginia" sign.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2015/01/06/millions-of-travelers-may-have-no-idea-dulles-airport-is-in-virginia/

I don't like it.

Neither do I. Then again, I don't like how much New York went overboard with the I <3 NY signs everywhere in the state, and the ridiculous TV commercials they air.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

oscar

Quote from: Takumi on January 06, 2015, 05:49:18 PM
Because putting it on the default license plate wasn't bad enough.

And the current "Virginia is for Lovers" license plate makes that slogan much less conspicuous than on the old specialty plate.

You see a lot of "LOVE", in large free-standing plastic letters, in front of rest areas and visitor centers.  So the slogan is getting more of a workout than on welcome signs.

The slogan was once adapted for bumper stickers still seen in the wild, "Virginia is for Lovers, Not Liars", in a long-ago U.S. Senate race where the major party candidates were accused of being, respectively, a philanderer and a congenital liar.  (I held my nose and voted for the liar.)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

I suppose "Virginia Is for Lovers" was amusing when Maryland used "Maryland Is for Crabs."

NE2

Quote from: oscar on January 06, 2015, 07:45:11 PM
The slogan was once adapted for bumper stickers still seen in the wild, "Virginia is for Lovers, Not Liars", in a long-ago U.S. Senate race where the major party candidates were accused of being, respectively, a philanderer and a congenital liar.  (I held my nose and voted for the liar.)
Figures that Oscar the Grouch would vote for Oliver Fucking North.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cl94

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2015, 08:27:19 PM
I suppose "Virginia Is for Lovers" was amusing when Maryland used "Maryland Is for Crabs."

Hey, leave the sophomoric comments to a certain other user  :-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

oscar

Quote from: NE2 on January 06, 2015, 09:19:53 PM
Figures that Oscar the Grouch

Hey, I resemble that remark!

1995hoo

Quote from: cl94 on January 06, 2015, 09:25:18 PM

I wound up on the moderators' watch list for baiting a certain other user, so I shan't respond further to that comment.

I voted for the same candidate Oscar did in 1994, FWIW.

hbelkins

I realize that some are better targets than others for our resident malcontent, but picking on Oscar? That's territory I don't think anyone has ever entered into. :pan:

Next thing you know, Tom From Ohio (who recently re-emerged on Facebook to slam North Carolina for its propensity to sign interstates) will be asking Oscar to do us all a favor...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2015, 12:07:35 PM
Next thing you know, Tom From Ohio (who recently re-emerged on Facebook to slam North Carolina for its propensity to sign interstates) will be asking Oscar to do us all a favor...

He already did, back on m.t.r.  I complained about how long it took for him to get to me.

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on January 07, 2015, 12:22:07 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2015, 12:07:35 PM

He already did, back on m.t.r.  I complained about how long it took for him to get to me.

I didn't remember. It took him awhile to get to me, too.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mtantillo

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2015, 10:24:38 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 06, 2015, 09:25:18 PM

I wound up on the moderators' watch list for baiting a certain other user, so I shan't respond further to that comment.

I voted for the same candidate Oscar did in 1994, FWIW.

Only certain people are given a free pass.

NE2

holy crap liberal bias

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Here's your chance to sound off on the proposed Dulles Greenway toll increase

QuoteThe Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) is seeking input on a request to raise tolls on the Dulles Greenway.

QuoteOwners of the 14-mile toll road that runs between Dulles International Airport and Leesburg are proposing a 2.8 percent increase in tolls. For most drivers that would translate to a 10-cent increase— to $4.30 from the current $4.20. During peak morning and afternoon periods, the toll would increase 15 cents – to $5.25 from $5.10.

QuoteWritten comments should be sent to the Clerk of the State Corporation Commission, Document Control Center, P.O. Box 2118, Richmond, Virginia 23218-2118 and should refer to case number PUE-2014-00129. People wishing to submit comment electronically should go to the SCC's Web site: www.scc.virginia.gov/case. Once there, they should click on the "Public Comments/Notices"  link and then the "˜Submit Comments"  button for case number PUE-2014-00129.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oscar

A reader column in today's Washington Post:  "The Confederacy on Va.'s Roads" (title in the print edition)  The author, from Arlington, suggests renaming all the highways in Virginia named for Confederate leaders.

I don't like the idea.  For one thing, highway names like Jefferson Davis Highway and Lee Highway are used in a lot of street addresses, since both highways are long and have lots of businesses and homes along them.  A name change would be painful for them.  But even leaving aside the practicalities, I think it's kind of neat that both of those highways come within spitting distance of D.C. 

The author, as an Arlingtonian, must know how pervasive are Confederate place names off the roads, even in rather Yankee-fied Northern Virginia.  For example, Arlington's own Washington-Lee High School (named in part for Robert E. Lee), and J.E.B. Stuart High School across the border in Fairfax County. 

1995hoo

Stupid. History includes things you agree with and things you disagree with and it's stupid to try to erase the parts you dislike.

Thing 342

Quote from: oscar on January 11, 2015, 09:02:52 AM
A reader column in today's Washington Post:  "The Confederacy on Va.'s Roads" (title in the print edition)  The author, from Arlington, suggests renaming all the highways in Virginia named for Confederate leaders.

I don't like the idea.  For one thing, highway names like Jefferson Davis Highway and Lee Highway are used in a lot of street addresses, since both highways are long and have lots of businesses and homes along them.  A name change would be painful for them.  But even leaving aside the practicalities, I think it's kind of neat that both of those highways come within spitting distance of D.C. 

The author, as an Arlingtonian, must know how pervasive are Confederate place names off the roads, even in rather Yankee-fied Northern Virginia.  For example, Arlington's own Washington-Lee High School (named in part for Robert E. Lee), and J.E.B. Stuart High School across the border in Fairfax County.

Using the same logic as that presented in the column, should we then rename all the roads named after Washington, Jefferson, et al, because they wanted to fight against their own government in order to secede?   

WashuOtaku

Well, it's an opinion piece for sure.  Don't agree with the person though and the choices for renaming the entire state routes with people/places from the D.C./Baltimore area is awkward and silly.

1995hoo

My wife read that column and pointed out that a number of those roads are not usually referred to by name anyway by most local residents. Jefferson Davis Highway is generally called Route 1 because said route changes names several times through Northern Virginia (Jefferson Davis Highway, Patrick/Henry Streets twinned one-way pair, Richmond Highway). Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway is usually just called Route 50. Of the ones the column noted, I've heard "Lee Highway" more often than the others, though I hear it less frequently than I did 30 years ago because people tend just to call it Route 29.

Semi-related funny incident.....back in the days when Lee-Jackson-King Day was celebrated on the third Monday in January, a guy I worked with who wasn't from Virginia asked who "Lee Jackson King" was. He had only heard the holiday referred to verbally and so didn't realize there were hyphens denoting three names. Of course, the same guy was incredulous that a city is named "Lynchburg." He was black and he was picturing a certain racist act from days before our time.....

cpzilliacus

This self-identified liberal Democrat from the other side of the Potomac River strongly agrees with you.

Changing street names to remove the names of Confederate heroes at this point smacks of Stalinism, and should not be done.

As I understand it, those roads were given the names they bear when there were still a lot of people in Virginia that had personal memories of the Civil War/War Between the States/Lost Cause.

And there's the practical problem associated with same, as Oscar points out above.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.