News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2016, 09:31:55 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 31, 2016, 08:55:51 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2016, 07:45:32 PMThe traffic lights on 29 north of Charlottesville were far more frustrating than I ever remember in the past. Very nerve-wracking drive because the traffic today was heavy and there was an excessive amount of tailgating going on.

Too bad the I-83 extension proposal from Baltimore to Greensboro, NC wasn't given the time of day.

I don't know, I kind of like the part south of Charlottesville the way it is, though I'd prefer a consistent 65- to 70-mph speed limit (depending on what stretch of road). I suppose some parts north of Lynchburg are appropriate at 60 due to poor sight lines, though. Anyway, as a non-Interstate it's not particularly busy (except near Lynchburg) and it's a relatively relaxing drive that's fairly scenic. Making it an Interstate would make it much busier.

Oh man, don't remind me of Lynchburg. :ded: Coming into Lynchburg from the south on US-29 is a real pain in the ass. US-29 between the US-460/US-29 Business (Wards Road) junction and about 2, maybe 3 miles south of it was a parking lot every time I've came up that way (which isn't often), not to mention the constant speed limit changes. When I lived in Farmville from 2009-2011, going into Lynchburg on US-460 was easy, but coming from the south on US-29? No...just no. Going to Greensboro is much easier, and it's roughly about the same mileage from my house as Lynchburg and I've made better time. I've never driven US-29 any further north than Lynchburg, but I agree that US-29 isn't that bad once you leave Lynchburg heading south towards Danville and Greensboro. If I'm not mistaken, there was supposed to be a southern freeway bypass of Lynchburg built to connect US-29 south of US-460 to the existing US-29 freeway from US-460 to Amherst, but I don't know what happened to it. It definitely would've helped.

Speaking of Danville, I never understood why VDOT never raised the speed limit from 65mph to 70mph on the US-29 freeway from Blairs to NC. It could easily handle it since that seems to be the average speed there whenever I'm on it, and NC recently raised the speed limit their part of the US-29 freeway between Danville and Reidsville from 65mph to 70mph.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

froggie

QuoteSpeaking of Danville, I never understood why VDOT never raised the speed limit from 65mph to 70mph on the US-29 freeway from Blairs to NC. It could easily handle it since that seems to be the average speed there whenever I'm on it, and NC recently raised the speed limit their part of the US-29 freeway between Danville and Reidsville from 65mph to 70mph.

Likely because the "ramp junctions" at the Elizabeth St "interchange" are substandard for a 70 MPH mainline speed.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on August 01, 2016, 11:24:39 AM
QuoteSpeaking of Danville, I never understood why VDOT never raised the speed limit from 65mph to 70mph on the US-29 freeway from Blairs to NC. It could easily handle it since that seems to be the average speed there whenever I'm on it, and NC recently raised the speed limit their part of the US-29 freeway between Danville and Reidsville from 65mph to 70mph.

Likely because the "ramp junctions" at the Elizabeth St "interchange" are substandard for a 70 MPH mainline speed.

I forgot about Elizabeth Street. Wouldn't VDOT need to close off that access or build a grade separation in order for US-29 around Danville to become part of I-785 once NC upgrades the remaining substandard section of US-29 between Reidsville and the future Greensboro Urban Loop?

1995hoo

When we went through there yesterday I noted the Elizabeth Street ramps, but I didn't think they ought to be a bar to a 70-mph limit from a point east of there on up to Blairs. The speed limit is already reduced around the interchange that straddles the state line, isn't it? Why would it be a problem to post 70 mph only on the segments east of the Elizabeth Street ramps? (I set my cruise control at 70 yesterday after I passed the first 65-mph sign and I found myself wondering why the speed limit wasn't 70.)

Edited: I checked Street View and I see I misremembered and that it is posted at 65 through the Elizabeth Street "interchange." It seems to me posting 70 east of there would more or less comply with VDOT's normal method of gradually reducing or increasing speed limits off a 70-mph zone (that is, notice on Interstates how they'll go 70-65-60-55). What am I missing?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 01, 2016, 02:05:44 PM
When we went through there yesterday I noted the Elizabeth Street ramps, but I didn't think they ought to be a bar to a 70-mph limit from a point east of there on up to Blairs. The speed limit is already reduced around the interchange that straddles the state line, isn't it? Why would it be a problem to post 70 mph only on the segments east of the Elizabeth Street ramps? (I set my cruise control at 70 yesterday after I passed the first 65-mph sign and I found myself wondering why the speed limit wasn't 70.)

Edited: I checked Street View and I see I misremembered and that it is posted at 65 through the Elizabeth Street "interchange." It seems to me posting 70 east of there would more or less comply with VDOT's normal method of gradually reducing or increasing speed limits off a 70-mph zone (that is, notice on Interstates how they'll go 70-65-60-55). What am I missing?

VDOT has no problem with going 70 to 60 directly.  I-81 at Roanoke does this north of Exit 150.

AFAIK (or remember) the US 29 Madison Heights Bypass is the only non-interstate designated road with a 70 mph speed limit in Virginia.  All other limited access non-interstates max out at 65 mph.  Don't know what makes Madison Heights special in the eyes of VDOT or a statute.  Is it really the only rural interstate-standard piece of freeway in Virginia without a red and blue shield?

1995hoo

It's not the statute, it's VDOT. I'll find the exact language later tonight, but the statute allows 70-mph limits, after a traffic and engineering study, on essentially anything that doesn't have at-grade intersections and has at least two lanes in each direction. (It's not worded quite like that, though. It says "limited-access," but VDOT construes that to mean full access control.)

Edited to add–Here it is.

Quote§ 46.2-870. Maximum speed limits generally.

Except as otherwise provided in this article, the maximum speed limit shall be 55 miles per hour on interstate highways or other limited access highways with divided roadways, nonlimited access highways having four or more lanes, and all state primary highways.

The maximum speed limit on all other highways shall be 55 miles per hour if the vehicle is a passenger motor vehicle, bus, pickup or panel truck, or a motorcycle, but 45 miles per hour on such highways if the vehicle is a truck, tractor truck, or combination of vehicles designed to transport property, or is a motor vehicle being used to tow a vehicle designed for self-propulsion, or a house trailer.

Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the maximum speed limit shall be 70 miles per hour where indicated by lawfully placed signs, erected subsequent to a traffic engineering study and analysis of available and appropriate accident and law-enforcement data, on: (i) interstate highways, (ii) multilane, divided, limited access highways, and (iii) high-occupancy vehicle lanes if such lanes are physically separated from regular travel lanes. The maximum speed limit shall be 60 miles per hour where indicated by lawfully placed signs, erected subsequent to a traffic engineering study and analysis of available and appropriate accident and law-enforcement data, on U.S. Route 23, U.S. Route 29, U.S. Route 58, U.S. Alternate Route 58, U.S. Route 360, U.S. Route 460, and on U.S. Route 17 between the Town of Port Royal and Saluda where they are nonlimited access, multilane, divided highways.

Mapmikey

Maybe they don't find the Danville Bypass sufficiently rural or they haven't done the study...?

Thinking about another part of your thread, VDOT also has no trouble going from 60 mph to 45 mph on highways...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2016, 07:45:32 PMThe traffic lights on 29 north of Charlottesville were far more frustrating than I ever remember in the past. Very nerve-wracking drive because the traffic today was heavy and there was an excessive amount of tailgating going on.

Too bad the I-83 extension proposal from Baltimore to Greensboro, NC wasn't given the time of day.

It was never studied at any level by Maryland DOT or Virginia DOT.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AlexandriaVA

A recent drop of new Google Maps imagery shows a nice view of the new crash-prone modern roundabout at Braddock and Pleasant Valley in Fairfax County:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8817435,-77.485472,288m/data=!3m1!1e3

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 01, 2016, 09:24:39 PM
Maybe they don't find the Danville Bypass sufficiently rural or they haven't done the study...?

Or they did the study and just decided to post 65. The study for the Beltway HO/T lanes determined that a 70-mph speed limit would be appropriate, but they posted 65 instead and said they never considered posting 70 (this per media reports back when they raised those lanes' limit to 65). So it's not unprecedented for VDOT to keep it lower than a study might say is justified.

I recall back in 1995, when the NSML repeal was pending, then-Gov. Allen wanted to post the Fairfax County Parkway at 65! I'm pretty sure there is still no road with at-grade intersections posted above 60 mph in Virginia.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 01, 2016, 10:40:09 PM
I recall back in 1995, when the NSML repeal was pending, then-Gov. Allen wanted to post the Fairfax County Parkway at 65! I'm pretty sure there is still no road with at-grade intersections posted above 60 mph in Virginia.

That would have been a bad idea. The Fairfax County Parkway is definitely not engineered for   that much speed.  There have been plenty of horrendous crashes at its at-grade intersections, and I suspect that speed was a factor in many of them.

I have gotten dirty looks more than once for having the temerity to drive at or near the posted limit (in the right lane) there, perhaps especially between Va. 123 and Hooes Road, where there are sections that are little more than a wide subdivision street.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

LM117

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 01, 2016, 09:26:50 PM

It was never studied at any level by Maryland DOT or Virginia DOT.

I never said they did. I read about it here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_83#Future

QuoteAs Congress worked toward reauthorization of the Surface Transportation Act, the Greater Lynchburg Chamber of Commerce and other groups in Virginia wanted I-83 extended southward to provide bypasses for Charlottesville, Lynchburg, and Danville, and to link those cities to Greensboro, North Carolina. By June 1991, Robert LaLone, director of programs for the Lynchburg Chamber, admitted that an interstate was unlikely, but upgrading of US 29, with bypasses included, is more likely.

...which is why I said that it was too bad that it never got the time of day. It would've been a great alternative to the parking lot I-95 for those going to DC, Baltimore and the Northeast from Greensboro and points south on I-85 and vice-versa.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 02, 2016, 07:55:00 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 01, 2016, 10:40:09 PM

That would have been a bad idea. The Fairfax County Parkway is definitely not engineered for   that much speed.  There have been plenty of horrendous crashes at its at-grade intersections, and I suspect that speed was a factor in many of them.

I have gotten dirty looks more than once for having the temerity to drive at or near the posted limit (in the right lane) there, perhaps especially between Va. 123 and Hooes Road, where there are sections that are little more than a wide subdivision street.

I usually do 55 in the right lane, using cruise control if possible so as to keep my speed down. Last year some idiot who was going at least 75 passed me (and other people) by whipping over into a right-turn lane and then going straight. I have it on video somewhere.

The segment between Huntsman Boulevard and the Hooes Road exit feels like the narrowest part to me.

On Sunday there was a cop ahead of us and people were still tailgating and driving aggressively.

froggie

Quote from: 1995hooIt says "limited-access," but VDOT construes that to mean full access control.

That's not a construing, that's how the state of Virginia terms full access control.  In Virginia-speak, "limited access" = full access control, and "controlled access" = partial access control.

QuoteThe study for the Beltway HO/T lanes determined that a 70-mph speed limit would be appropriate, but they posted 65 instead and said they never considered posting 70 (this per media reports back when they raised those lanes' limit to 65).

This is likely because the Beltway HO/T lanes are not fully separated from the mainline.

1995hoo

I believe I read the number of left-side exits was also a factor.

Regarding "limited access," you're right, there is another statute defining "limited access," so technically it's not VDOT construing it. I forgot about that when I made my prior comment. Not going to edit it now.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 02, 2016, 09:30:25 AM
I usually do 55 in the right lane, using cruise control if possible so as to keep my speed down. Last year some idiot who was going at least 75 passed me (and other people) by whipping over into a right-turn lane and then going straight. I have it on video somewhere.

Yeah, people think that 286 is the Capital Beltway, which  it is definitely not.

The segment between Huntsman Boulevard and the Hooes Road exit feels like the narrowest part to me.

Yeah, that's about right. Though there have been a fair number of crashes with  injury at Old Keene Mill Road, an intersection that I always approach with caution (the sight lines for Old Keene Mill Road traffic approaching are not very  good).

On Sunday there was a cop ahead of us and people were still tailgating and driving aggressively.

It is a road that really cries out for more and aggressive traffic enforcement by the Fairfax County Police.  I have seen them doing radar/laser speed limit enforcement at places, but they should do more, and be visible about it.  I suspect that they could reel in more than a few reckless drivers (and going 20+ MPH over the limit on that road is reckless).

1995hoo

They do stage those periodic "50 means 50" campaigns. But the place where I've most often seen enforcement is just east of the Pohick Road interchange at the Hooes Road intersection, I assume because it's easy for them to set up and get a view of traffic some distance away. Makes sense, but the more problematic areas are further west.

74/171FAN

The Continuous Flow Intersection being constructed on US 13 at VA 165/VA 166 (where US 13 turns on/off Military Hwy onto Northampton Blvd) has practically begun.

Of note is that there are also plans to put one on VA 190 (Kempsville Rd) at Indian River Rd.  (mentioned in the last sentence of the linked article)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 02, 2016, 01:08:29 PM
They do stage those periodic "50 means 50" campaigns.

IMO not enough.

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 02, 2016, 01:08:29 PM
But the place where I've most often seen enforcement is just east of the Pohick Road interchange at the Hooes Road intersection, I assume because it's easy for them to set up and get a view of traffic some distance away. Makes sense, but the more problematic areas are further west.

I have seen them on the southbound side just south of Va. 620 (Braddock Road) interchange where they can be pretty far to the right of passing traffic; and at a point south of Va. 654 (Popes Head Road) at Ladues End Lane (probably because there is almost no traffic on this little dead-end street). 

But there always seems to be  a good supply of speeding cars on this road, many apparently close to or above 70 MPH (I suppose there are Virginia drivers that are not (!) familiar with § 46.2-862 of the Code of Virginia) - a road where too much speed is dangerous and by golly reckless.  It is a road that cries out to have been tolled and designed to the same (high) standards as Maryland Route 200 (and I do give VDOT and Fairfax County credit for having a reasonably continuous multi-use trail along its entire length, something Montgomery County and Prince George's County failed to do with Route 200).

Obviously, I do not drive the Fairfax County Parkway nearly as much as people that live in or near Fairfax County, so my sample size is small, though I can say that I have clinched all of it from U.S. 1 at Fort Belvoir in the south to Va. 7 near the Loudoun County border in the north.

D-Dey65

Regarding the reconstruction of the welcome centers and rest areas along I-95; Who here has seen the plans for those? Is this going to be anything like what they did to the Maryland House (I hope not), even if on a smaller scale?

Thing 342

Spotted another new Travel Time sign on Thursday, this one on I-64 WB a few miles east of I-295, and again in all-FHWA. Will have to check to see if it has an eastbound partner west of town on Monday.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 05, 2016, 06:11:55 PM
Spotted another new Travel Time sign on Thursday, this one on I-64 WB a few miles east of I-295, and again in all-FHWA. Will have to check to see if it has an eastbound partner west of town on Monday.

"West of Richmond" seems a little weird, and the sign itself reads kind of strangely (take I-64 to...I-64?). Maybe "Short Pump" (or "Sandston" for the EB one).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

Given that Short Pump requires backtracking, I would go with "Time to Exit 175" (or 173 or what have you) instead.  Eastbound could be labeled/marked to Exit 205.

Thing 342

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 05, 2016, 09:44:29 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on August 05, 2016, 06:11:55 PM

"West of Richmond" seems a little weird, and the sign itself reads kind of strangely (take I-64 to...I-64?). Maybe "Short Pump" (or "Sandston" for the EB one).
I kind of agree. One of the things that has always annoyed me about these signs is that it's hard to tell what point the travel time is actually to unless your're rather familiar with the area. Examples include the sign for "I-295 / Richmond" with times for US-460 and I-664 to I-64 to Exit 28 (I think) that's located just past the High Rise Bridge on I-64 EB, or the VA-168 / OUTER BANKS sign which shows times to Exit 291, not the Wright Bros. Bridge.

jwolfer

There is a similar sign on 95.. it's to let thru traffic know they have options

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.