News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 26, 2017, 01:52:20 PM
That is excellent news.  Will anything be done about I-95 northbound to U.S. 17 northbound?
That project scored in the middle of the pack statewide:
https://paptprd.blob.core.windows.net/scorecards/F2-0000001101-R02.PDF
It seems like the high cost ($130 M) of the project holds it back from scoring better.

When I looked at the top scoring projects from each of the districts, most of them cost less than $10M. 
http://smartscale.org/documents/2018_smart_scale_project_scores.pdf

74/171FAN

The Haymarket DDI is planned to be open Saturday at 9 AM.

EDIT: I had thought for sure that I read Sunday.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

AlexandriaVA

1995hoo

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 26, 2017, 11:04:49 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 26, 2017, 06:00:40 PM
The Haymarket DDI is planned to be open Saturday at 9 AM.

EDIT: I had thought for sure that I read Sunday.

This is like their 5th attempt...

When they tweeted that it would open this Saturday, I thought about responding with something like, "Amazing coincidence as surprise snowstorm blankets Haymarket."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

The Haymarket DDI indeed opened yesterday, though work remains to be done on it.

I don't have any pictures since I wasn't out that way. VDOT tweeted that it was open.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 29, 2017, 08:28:56 AM
The Haymarket DDI indeed opened yesterday, though work remains to be done on it.

I don't have any pictures since I wasn't out that way. VDOT tweeted that it was open.

I was out there today. The basic DDI traffic pattern is in place, but the remaining work is extensive, with lots of distracting orange barrels and barricades all over the place.

That ties into my biggest complaint about DDIs. I have driven completed DDIs in North Carolina, and could overcome my mild confusion. But while they're being built (or if work is being done on a completed DDI), work zone distractions compound the problems with motorist confusion while they get the hang of the DDI concept.

But this might be the least bad option, since the old setup sucked and new development has encroached on the space needed for other hypothetical alternatives such as a large cloverleaf with C/D lanes. When work is finished on the HJymarket DDI (which cannot happen soon enough), it  will probably work fine.  DDI would be best of all for brand-new interchanges.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

I drove through the nation's first DDI, at I-44 and MO 13, shortly after it opened. There was still work remaining and the barrels, etc., were a bit distracting.

The problem with a DDI is that there's no good way to shift traffic. I think Missouri learned that lesson and started doing full closures while the switchovers are being completed. I saw this in action in 2013 in Joplin, when the DDI at I-44 and Business I-49 was being opened. All Green 49 traffic was forced onto the interstate instead of going under the bridge. (And I know at Haymarket, US 15 crosses over I-66.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: oscar on January 29, 2017, 04:33:26 PM
But this might be the least bad option, since the old setup sucked and new development has encroached on the space needed for other hypothetical alternatives such as a large cloverleaf with C/D lanes. When work is finished on the HJymarket DDI (which cannot happen soon enough), it  will probably work fine.  DDI would be best of all for brand-new interchanges.

Trying to exit from I-66 westbound to make the left onto U.S. 15 southbound (to get to Sheetz) was a dangerous and difficult thing in the days when the interchange was a simple (rural diamond) and there was no signal to stop U.S. 15 traffic (and southbound traffic on U.S. 15 coming from U.S. 50 and VA-234 was always heavy).

This should be a big improvement when completed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

QuoteTrying to exit from I-66 westbound to make the left onto U.S. 15 southbound (to get to Sheetz) was a dangerous and difficult thing in the days when the interchange was a simple (rural diamond) and there was no signal to stop U.S. 15 traffic (and southbound traffic on U.S. 15 coming from U.S. 50 and VA-234 was always heavy).

Even with recent development, I generally found it easier to exit at US 29/Gainesville and take VA 55 to that Sheetz.  Not much of a time difference given the difficulty of making left turns both onto and off of US 15.

Jmiles32

Quote from: oscar on January 29, 2017, 04:33:26 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 29, 2017, 08:28:56 AM

I was out there today. The basic DDI traffic pattern is in place, but the remaining work is extensive, with lots of distracting orange barrels and barricades all over the place.

That ties into my biggest complaint about DDIs. I have driven completed DDIs in North Carolina, and could overcome my mild confusion. But while they're being built (or if work is being done on a completed DDI), work zone distractions compound the problems with motorist confusion while they get the hang of the DDI concept.

Drove though the interchange today for the first time and was delighted to see traffic moving through the interchange smoothly and efficiently, even during the morning rush hour( US-15 S to I-66 E). Those special meetings VDOT held to get drivers familiar with the interchange seemed to have helped tremendously. I'll admit I was a bit skeptical when VDOT first announced the interchange was being turned into a DDI, but now I am hooked. The 3rd lane on US-15 and other finishing touches on the project should be done by this summer.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on January 30, 2017, 02:35:22 PM
Even with recent development, I generally found it easier to exit at US 29/Gainesville and take VA 55 to that Sheetz.  Not much of a time difference given the difficulty of making left turns both onto and off of US 15.

Just watch out for the Haymarket municipal police looking for speeders (25 MPH limit) just inside the town limits on VA-55 (Washington Street) westbound.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Once all the DDI construction is complete, I think it'll be interesting to compare travel times to Warrenton via Route 29 the whole way, Route 15 through the DDI and down to 29, and I-66 west to Great Meadow and then south on US-17. During the years of construction at Gainesville I've often headed further west on I-66, seen the backup for the exit at Haymarket, and therefore chosen the third option noted above. It's out of the way, of course, but there was never any traffic. The Gainesville project eliminated the railroad crossing outside 7-11, but I wonder whether the various new traffic lights that have accompanied the ever-extending sprawl have resulted in that route being the slower one despite the new overpass.

(The wild card on Route 15 is, of course, making sure you don't get stuck at the railroad crossing there.)

BTW, I've also encountered DDIs in North Carolina and I didn't experience any confusion, but I think part of that was because when I realized what I was encountering I got interested in seeing how it worked. Encountering all the barrels, possible leftover marks from old road striping, etc., coupled with headlight glare and possible wet pavement (given Sunday night's snow), would probably make it rather more distracting. But it never ceases to amuse me how so many people living near planned DDIs wring their hands with predictions of doom because it's allegedly "too dangerous" or "too confusing." I will never understand the desire to spend more time sitting at red lights!

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 31, 2017, 07:34:33 AM
But it never ceases to amuse me how so many people living near planned DDIs wring their hands with predictions of doom because it's allegedly "too dangerous" or "too confusing." I will never understand the desire to spend more time sitting at red lights!

Because they're generally rubes with nothing better to do than pay too much attention to grocery store gossip. Same thing happens with modern roundabouts.

cpzilliacus

Once all the DDI construction is complete, I think it'll be interesting to compare travel times to Warrenton via Route 29 the whole way, Route 15 through the DDI and down to 29, and I-66 west to Great Meadow and then south on US-17. During the years of construction at Gainesville I've often headed further west on I-66, seen the backup for the exit at Haymarket, and therefore chosen the third option noted above. It's out of the way, of course, but there was never any traffic. The Gainesville project eliminated the railroad crossing outside 7-11, but I wonder whether the various new traffic lights that have accompanied the ever-extending sprawl have resulted in that route being the slower one despite the new overpass.

IMO, heading west on I-66 out to VA-245 (exit signed as Old Tavern) or to U.S. 17 South to reach Warrenton may not save that much time, but it does save a lot of annoyance.  Also, U.S. 15/U.S. 29 between Gainesville and Warrenton is still (based on traffic reports) a pretty  crash-prone corridor (IMO a combination of high speeds, heavy traffic volumes and no access control), and when any crash is reported, taking U.S. 17 becomes pretty attractive.

(The wild card on Route 15 is, of course, making sure you don't get stuck at the railroad crossing there.)

Some of the NS trains there can be pretty long!

froggie

Quote from: cpzilliacusJust watch out for the Haymarket municipal police looking for speeders (25 MPH limit) just inside the town limits on VA-55 (Washington Street) westbound.

Never had that problem...even when not going 25 MPH...

Quote from: 1995hooand I-66 west to Great Meadow and then south on US-17.

Never cut the corner on 245?

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on January 31, 2017, 08:49:18 AM

245 is indeed how I go when I use that route, hence the reference to Great Meadow. I just couldn't remember the route number when I typed that at 7:30 this morning and I didn't bother looking it up because I figured most people reading this would be aware of that option to cut off some distance.

As cpzilliacus notes, it's certainly a more relaxing drive via that route even if it doesn't save time. Route 29 between Gainesville and Warrenton "feels" a lot narrower as traffic volumes have increased over the past 20 years.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cpzilliacusJust watch out for the Haymarket municipal police looking for speeders (25 MPH limit) just inside the town limits on VA-55 (Washington Street) westbound.

Never had that problem...even when not going 25 MPH...

Nor I (but then I am pretty careful about driving at the speed limit approaching or in towns and cities in Virginia). 

But the Haymarket cops, like more than a few small-town municipal police agencies in Virginia, seem to spend a lot of their time doing speed limit enforcement.  And it's quite easy to be driving 45 there (in particular for out-of-state drivers), because the road is so straight.

Only complaint about doing that (for the southbound movement) is that it can be challenging  to make that left at the uncontrolled intersection at U.S. 17 and VA-245 if traffic is heavy.   If I expect traffic to be heavy, then I will just stay on 66 and make the turn at 17 instead - even though  there are no signals there, that is a much easier place to head south on 17.

For the northbound movement, 245 is easy and  reasonably fast.

LM117

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 31, 2017, 11:56:31 AMBut the Haymarket cops, like more than a few small-town municipal police agencies in Virginia, seem to spend a lot of their time doing speed limit enforcement.

Wasn't there a budget amendment passed a year or two ago that reduced the amount of ticket revenue municipalities could keep?
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jwolfer

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 31, 2017, 08:30:54 AM
But it never ceases to amuse me how so many people living near planned DDIs wring their hands with predictions of doom because it's allegedly "too dangerous" or "too confusing." I will never understand the desire to spend more time sitting at red lights!

Because they're generally rubes with nothing better to do than pay too much attention to grocery store gossip. Same thing happens with modern roundabouts.
Exactly.. Its a change people get all worked up about changes to familiar roads.

Its the same with flyovers and stacks at freeway to freeway interchanges. There are people who lament the cost/height/confusion and wonder "why not just build a cloverleaf"

LGMS428

1995hoo

Heh. I saw something somewhere recently where someone was complaining that there's not a cloverleaf at the junction of I-66 and the Beltway. Said person must not have lived here in the bad old days when Maryland had a cloverleaf at US-50 and the Beltway.

froggie

Related to the I-95 SC thread, I've done an analysis of I-95 traffic volumes south of Petersburg and posted the results there.  In short, except for spot locations in Petersburg, volumes do not currently support widening I-95 between Petersburg and the NC line.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: LM117 on January 31, 2017, 04:10:39 PM
Wasn't there a budget amendment passed a year or two ago that reduced the amount of ticket revenue municipalities could keep?

Some states have those provisions, and I think a bill was introduced in the Virginia General Assembly to place some limits on the amount of traffic fine revenue that a local government in the Commonwealth can keep (go over that limit and the money must go to the state's general fund or maybe the Literacy Fund, where most of the fine money generated by traffic summonses issued by the VSP ends up), but I do not think that it passed.

plain

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2017, 02:31:14 PM
Related to the I-95 SC thread, I've done an analysis of I-95 traffic volumes south of Petersburg and posted the results there.  In short, except for spot locations in Petersburg, volumes do not currently support widening I-95 between Petersburg and the NC line.

I wouldn't think that part of I-95 would need widening anyway and I don't know why officials ever gave it serious thought in the first place. Even if interstate traffic grow over the next decade or so, that stretch should be good enough to handle that as is.. the only exit that sees a lot of activity is at Exit 12 ((EDIT: I meant Exit 11)) and I never see any congestion. I think VA should concentrate on widening I-95 north of Richmond instead. I believe 8 lanes from Exit 84 to Exit 104 would definitely help with the problems there
Newark born, Richmond bred

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 31, 2017, 07:19:53 PM
Heh. I saw something somewhere recently where someone was complaining that there's not a cloverleaf at the junction of I-66 and the Beltway.

Please.

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 31, 2017, 07:19:53 PM
Said person must not have lived here in the bad old days when Maryland had a cloverleaf at US-50 and the Beltway.

Maryland still has two awful "original" cloverleaf interchanges (early 1960's design) on the I-95 part of Capital Beltway in Prince George's County at the Baltimore-Washington Parkway ("secret" MD-295) in Greenbelt and at Pennsylvania Avenue Extended (MD-4) in Forestville. 

As a bonus, a pair of bridges carry the Beltway over MD-4, and both of them are very much in need of deck replacement. 

The bridges that carry the Baltimore-Washington Parkway over the Beltway also need replacement or deck replacement, but since most large trucks may not lawfully use the  Parkway, the need might not be as urgent (though some of the intercity buses that drive the Parkway are pretty heavy).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.