News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 26, 2018, 11:04:48 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 26, 2018, 10:32:09 PM
Since when is written permission required for a highway agency to survey for wetlands? This smells like legislating from the bench, so to speak.
Just another way to push off needed highway projects even further (well, I wouldn't say this project is needed)
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree on that point, but the USACOE shouldn't be using this as the excuse.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on December 15, 2018, 11:58:19 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 15, 2018, 11:17:59 AM
Quote from: plain on December 15, 2018, 08:53:20 AM
Quote from: LM117 on December 15, 2018, 07:08:00 AM
Northbound US-29 traffic in Danville will be detoured through the city due to a pipe failure.

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/lynchburg/2018/us-29-north-bypass-traffic-will-use-danville-detour12-14-2018.asp
This might create some headaches next weekend

Absolutely. Thanks for posting that, LM117. We're driving south on Friday and I often take Route 29 down to Greensboro just for a change from the Interstates. Won't do that this time! (Yes, it's a northbound detour, but somehow these things always seem to have bigger effects than they should.)

You're welcome. It's certainly not gonna do local traffic any favors, either. Riverside Drive is already pretty heavy with traffic, especially at rush hour. Fortunately, I usually don't have to commute on Riverside Drive except to pay the utility bill and even then I take a shortcut down Arnett Blvd from Piney Forest Rd and use the Union St bridge to cross the river. Most of my commutes are on US-29 Business (Piney Forest Rd) because I come in from VA-41.

I'm just thankful that the detour doesn't involve the parking lot Piney Forest Rd. Now THAT...would be bad.
Is the bypass still closed? Planning on heading out west on U.S. 58 this weekend and that involves taking U.S. 58 / 29 around Danville.

sprjus4

Quote from: Alps on December 26, 2018, 11:07:16 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 26, 2018, 11:04:48 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 26, 2018, 10:32:09 PM
Since when is written permission required for a highway agency to survey for wetlands? This smells like legislating from the bench, so to speak.
Just another way to push off needed highway projects even further (well, I wouldn't say this project is needed)
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree on that point, but the USACOE shouldn't be using this as the excuse.
I honestly don't know what the real reason is. Somebody probably complained or sued because of surveying without written permission, that would be my best guess.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 26, 2018, 11:03:49 PM
Quote from: Beltway on December 26, 2018, 10:03:36 PM
I don't understand why Chesterfield County didn't have a better plan for major new commercial and industrial development than building this freeway thru the rural southern part of the county.
So if I'm understanding this right, it would be new freeway, paralleling less than 5 miles away the already existing Route 288 freeway? The only part I see reasonable is extending the Powhite Parkway to connect with U.S. 360 west of the developed area, but not swinging back to parallel Route 288. Seems like the only driver for this highway is the fact it would benefit Chesterfield County. Realistically, it makes no sense. Looks like a "Phase 1" of an "Outer Richmond Beltway".
Here's a map of this "freeway" - https://www.chesterfield.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1322/Thoroughfare-Plan-PDF
Also, would it be tolled or does the county have up to $800+ million it would cost to construct the 20 miles of highway through wetlands? Again, the whole idea just seems like a waste of time and money.

Relatively little would go thru wetlands, but the other points remain.  This article and others make it clear that the county government saw this as a highway to promote major new commercial and industrial development.

The Powhite Parkway Western Extension would provide for a definite transportation need, but the East-West Freeway would not, IMHO.  There is no "Outer Richmond Beltway" proposal that I have ever heard of..
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on December 26, 2018, 11:52:34 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 26, 2018, 11:03:49 PM
Quote from: Beltway on December 26, 2018, 10:03:36 PM
I don't understand why Chesterfield County didn't have a better plan for major new commercial and industrial development than building this freeway thru the rural southern part of the county.
So if I'm understanding this right, it would be new freeway, paralleling less than 5 miles away the already existing Route 288 freeway? The only part I see reasonable is extending the Powhite Parkway to connect with U.S. 360 west of the developed area, but not swinging back to parallel Route 288. Seems like the only driver for this highway is the fact it would benefit Chesterfield County. Realistically, it makes no sense. Looks like a "Phase 1" of an "Outer Richmond Beltway".
Here's a map of this "freeway" - https://www.chesterfield.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1322/Thoroughfare-Plan-PDF
Also, would it be tolled or does the county have up to $800+ million it would cost to construct the 20 miles of highway through wetlands? Again, the whole idea just seems like a waste of time and money.

Relatively little would go thru wetlands, but the other points remain.  This article and others make it clear that the county government saw this as a highway to promote major new commercial and industrial development.

The Powhite Parkway Western Extension would provide for a definite transportation need, but the East-West Freeway would not, IMHO.  There is no "Outer Richmond Beltway" proposal that I have ever heard of..
Maybe not wetlands, but it's definitely a heavily forested area. I don't believe there's a proposed Outer Richmond Beltway, but when you look at their proposed "East-West Freeway" on a map, it takes an alignment such an outer beltway would, 5-10 miles away, parallel to to an existing "inner" freeway. Really, it's just a money freeway for the county.

But can you seriously propose a freeway like the East-West as a locality, and have no plan for funding (well I guess Chesapeake did that, and was successful, but there was no parallel highway) This would be a different story if VA 288 didn't exist and VDOT was pitching this as a new western leg (like was done with VA 288), but from everything given, it's a joke that I'm surprised has lived since the 80s. Maybe this road will be relevant 40 years from now when all of Chesterfield County is heavily developed from edge to edge, and VA 288 is grid-locked daily.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 27, 2018, 01:22:02 AM
Maybe not wetlands, but it's definitely a heavily forested area. I don't believe there's a proposed Outer Richmond Beltway, but when you look at their proposed "East-West Freeway" on a map, it takes an alignment such an outer beltway would, 5-10 miles away, parallel to to an existing "inner" freeway. Really, it's just a money freeway for the county.

Even if it was the first leg of an outer beltway, it would seem like perhaps the lowest priority quadrant to build.

I-295 and VA-288 is already an outer beltway, based on its distance from the city relative to the size of the city.  That was an objection from its opponents back in the 1970s, too far from the city; of course now I see it as genius in disguise in how it provides a true bypass of the area.  VA-150 and VA-895 and VA-76 comprise a 2/3 intermediate beltway.

I cannot imagine any need for even a future concept for an outer-outer beltway for the Richmond area.

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 27, 2018, 01:22:02 AM
But can you seriously propose a freeway like the East-West as a locality, and have no plan for funding (well I guess Chesapeake did that, and was successful, but there was no parallel highway) This would be a different story if VA 288 didn't exist and VDOT was pitching this as a new western leg (like was done with VA 288), but from everything given, it's a joke that I'm surprised has lived since the 80s. Maybe this road will be relevant 40 years from now when all of Chesterfield County is heavily developed from edge to edge, and VA 288 is grid-locked daily.

They need to focus more development in the northern and eastern parts of the county.  Not in the southern part, where I can't imagine hardly anyone living there would want it.

They have done a nice job with all the major new commercial and industrial development that continues to expand in the area of the upgraded I-95/Walthall interchange and the new I-295/Meadowbridge interchange.

https://chesterfieldbusinessnews.com/1998/i-95walthall-interchange-upgrade/
I-95/Walthall Interchange Upgrade
March 12, 1998

Site work has begun on the redesigned and upgraded interchange at I-95 and Woods Edge and Ruffin Mill Roads. Buildings have been razed and land cleared for the 80 acres required to build this interchange. Completion of the first phase, with an estimated cost of $20.7 million, is scheduled for late 1999.
When completed, this interchange will provide a greatly improved and efficient road infrastructure for the many industries and their employees utilizing it. In addition, it will enhance our efforts to recruit more companies to locate in this attractive Enterprise Zone area.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 26, 2018, 11:08:50 PM
Northbound US-29 traffic in Danville will be detoured through the city due to a pipe failure.

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/lynchburg/2018/us-29-north-bypass-traffic-will-use-danville-detour12-14-2018.asp

Absolutely. Thanks for posting that, LM117. We're driving south on Friday and I often take Route 29 down to Greensboro just for a change from the Interstates. Won't do that this time! (Yes, it's a northbound detour, but somehow these things always seem to have bigger effects than they should.)

You're welcome. It's certainly not gonna do local traffic any favors, either. Riverside Drive is already pretty heavy with traffic, especially at rush hour. Fortunately, I usually don't have to commute on Riverside Drive except to pay the utility bill and even then I take a shortcut down Arnett Blvd from Piney Forest Rd and use the Union St bridge to cross the river. Most of my commutes are on US-29 Business (Piney Forest Rd) because I come in from VA-41.

I'm just thankful that the detour doesn't involve the parking lot Piney Forest Rd. Now THAT...would be bad.
Is the bypass still closed? Planning on heading out west on U.S. 58 this weekend and that involves taking U.S. 58 / 29 around Danville.

I haven't driven the bypass since before the closure was announced. VDOT is supposed to build crossovers so that northbound/eastbound traffic will follow one southbound/westbound lane. I haven't been able to find any updated info, but the crossovers should be complete within the next few days, if they aren't already. According to Google Maps, the northbound/eastbound lanes are still closed between Goodyear Blvd and the 58/360 interchange.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on December 27, 2018, 10:34:35 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 26, 2018, 11:08:50 PM

I haven't driven the bypass since before the closure was announced. VDOT is supposed to build crossovers so that northbound/eastbound traffic will follow one southbound/westbound lane. I haven't been able to find any updated info, but the crossovers should be complete within the next few days, if they aren't already. According to Google Maps, the northbound/eastbound lanes are still closed between Goodyear Blvd and the 58/360 interchange.
Okay, thanks for the info. Probably will just head through Danville on the eastbound trip to avoid any delays, closures. Checked on http://www.511virginia.org/, doesn't appear to give any good information either.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on December 27, 2018, 06:18:56 AM
Even if it was the first leg of an outer beltway, it would seem like perhaps the lowest priority quadrant to build.

I-295 and VA-288 is already an outer beltway, based on its distance from the city relative to the size of the city.  That was an objection from its opponents back in the 1970s, too far from the city; of course now I see it as genius in disguise in how it provides a true bypass of the area.  VA-150 and VA-895 and VA-76 comprise a 2/3 intermediate beltway.

I cannot imagine any need for even a future concept for an outer-outer beltway for the Richmond area.
Oh I definitely agree with you, it's not needed. I'm just pointing out that's what is sort of looks like.

I would consider the Powhite Pkwy, Chippenham Parkway, Downtown Expressway, and I-95 the "inner beltway", and VA-288 and I-295 the "outer beltway".

They need to focus more development in the northern and eastern parts of the county.  Not in the southern part, where I can't imagine hardly anyone living there would want it.

They have done a nice job with all the major new commercial and industrial development that continues to expand in the area of the upgraded I-95/Walthall interchange and the new I-295/Meadowbridge interchange.

https://chesterfieldbusinessnews.com/1998/i-95walthall-interchange-upgrade/
I-95/Walthall Interchange Upgrade
March 12, 1998

Site work has begun on the redesigned and upgraded interchange at I-95 and Woods Edge and Ruffin Mill Roads. Buildings have been razed and land cleared for the 80 acres required to build this interchange. Completion of the first phase, with an estimated cost of $20.7 million, is scheduled for late 1999.
When completed, this interchange will provide a greatly improved and efficient road infrastructure for the many industries and their employees utilizing it. In addition, it will enhance our efforts to recruit more companies to locate in this attractive Enterprise Zone area.
Looking at a map, this county has 5 interstates / major freeways passing through it, I-95, I-295, VA-288, VA-150 (Chippenham), and VA-76 (Powhite). Like you mentioned, they have commercial/industrial development around certain interchanges, and are successful. If they really want more, there's certain parts near I-95 and I-295 they could still build, and a lot of places along VA-288, VA-150, and VA-76. They need to use what is already there instead of trying to expand more. Building a $800+ million freeway just to serve that seems like a waste.

Seems like a boondoggle to me.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 27, 2018, 02:46:00 PM
Okay, thanks for the info. Probably will just head through Danville on the eastbound trip to avoid any delays, closures. Checked on http://www.511virginia.org/, doesn't appear to give any good information either.

Anyone drive the detour yet?  Maybe it is not much of a problem to utilize Bus. US-29 and Bus. US-58.  They could have immediately built the crossovers, but they probably had to award a contract and even a simple pair of freeway crossovers would cost at least $500,000 nowadays.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 27, 2018, 02:56:55 PM
Oh I definitely agree with you, it's not needed. I'm just pointing out that's what is sort of looks like.
I would consider the Powhite Pkwy, Chippenham Parkway, Downtown Expressway, and I-95 the "inner beltway", and VA-288 and I-295 the "outer beltway".

It could be looked at that way.  The central part of the city has an "inner loop freeway" comprised of I-195, the Downtown Expressway and a segment of I-95.

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 27, 2018, 02:56:55 PM
Looking at a map, this county has 5 interstates / major freeways passing through it, I-95, I-295, VA-288, VA-150 (Chippenham), and VA-76 (Powhite). Like you mentioned, they have commercial/industrial development around certain interchanges, and are successful. If they really want more, there's certain parts near I-95 and I-295 they could still build, and a lot of places along VA-288, VA-150, and VA-76. They need to use what is already there instead of trying to expand more. Building a $800+ million freeway just to serve that seems like a waste.
Seems like a boondoggle to me.

I wouldn't call it a "boondoggle", after all it was just a line on a major thoroughfare plan.  If it advanced to the point of spending money on engineering and right-of-way, that would be when I would take a stronger position.

This proposal began at a time when the county government felt that the county was not well-served with freeways, back in the 1980s when they were trying to find a way to fund the first part of VA-288 and the Powhite Parkway Extension.  If they overdid things, that was when only I-95 and VA-150 existed, so only small parts of the county had freeways.  They felt that Henrico was far better served and with toll-free Interstate highways.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on December 27, 2018, 04:22:10 PM
I wouldn't call it a "boondoggle", after all it was just a line on a major thoroughfare plan.  If it advanced to the point of spending money on engineering and right-of-way, that would be when I would take a stronger position.

This proposal began at a time when the county government felt that the county was not well-served with freeways, back in the 1980s when they were trying to find a way to fund the first part of VA-288 and the Powhite Parkway Extension.  If they overdid things, that was when only I-95 and VA-150 existed, so only small parts of the county had freeways.  They felt that Henrico was far better served and with toll-free Interstate highways.
The problem is that they kept trying to advance on its construction after VA-288 was completed in 1989, I-95 got its tolls removed, I-295 opened in through the county in 1990, etc. It says in the article that they also were trying to get the first 2.5 mile segment constructed, and had already completed and submitted an EA. Construction would've began in the near future had it not have been halted.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 27, 2018, 04:58:32 PM
Quote from: Beltway on December 27, 2018, 04:22:10 PM
The problem is that they kept trying to advance on its construction after VA-288 was completed in 1989, I-95 got its tolls removed, I-295 opened in through the county in 1990, etc. It says in the article that they also were trying to get the first 2.5 mile segment constructed, and had already completed and submitted an EA. Construction would've began in the near future had it not have been halted.

Western VA-288 was completed in 2005, that was a big missing link in the freeway network that the county wanted.

Actually the 2.5 mile segment connecting to I-95 in the Walthall area would have independent utility as part of the support network for the growing commercial and industrial development in that area.  It would include Phase 2 of the upgraded I-95/Walthall interchange.

Other than that I don't believe any money was spent on the rest of it.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

LM117

Quote from: Beltway on December 27, 2018, 04:13:54 PM

Anyone drive the detour yet?  Maybe it is not much of a problem to utilize Bus. US-29 and Bus. US-58.

It's not that bad outside of the afternoon/evening rush hour and even then, the worst of it is on US-58 Business. The detour should be fine outside of rush hour.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on December 28, 2018, 12:01:04 AM

Anyone drive the detour yet?  Maybe it is not much of a problem to utilize Bus. US-29 and Bus. US-58.

It's not that bad outside of the afternoon/evening rush hour and even then, the worst of it is on US-58 Business. The detour should be fine outside of rush hour.
Looks like I'll only be heading westbound through there actually on U.S. 58, I'm then turning up toward Roanoke / Blacksburg, then will hit I-81 and I-64 back to Hampton Roads.

sprjus4

Anyone drive the detour yet?  Maybe it is not much of a problem to utilize Bus. US-29 and Bus. US-58.  They could have immediately built the crossovers, but they probably had to award a contract and even a simple pair of freeway crossovers would cost at least $500,000 nowadays.
Didn't directly drive through Danville, but US 58 between South Hill and Martinsville was very light traffic, and not much more on the US 29 southbound bypass. They had the left lane closed on southbound through the area, and it looked like they had just paved a crossover, though not currently in use.. I wouldn't expect there would be much delay on the detour either.

I must admit - VDOT did a great job on getting US 58 all four-laned. Nice 65 MPH ride the entire way, with almost no traffic on the road. I will say though some sections were very narrow, with steep grades, no shoulder, and 10 foot lanes. One section I noted was between Martinsville and Danville, a semi nearly ran off the road going around a sharp curve at 50, when the speed is still 60 MPH. They could add shoulders or widen the road to have 12 foot lanes.

jakeroot

At the VA-20/VA-3 junction near Locust Grove, new signals are being installed. Took this photo today on my way back to Arlington from South Boston. I did not note if road widening was occuring, but the pavement was definitely new.

Unlike many other signals in Virginia, there seems to be quite a few secondary signals. Three of the four approaches have an overhead near-side signal, and the left turns off VA-3 will have two FYA heads, one overhead and one on the left. Although I did not confirm at the time, the near-side doghouse (closest in photo) seems to have arrows that point both left and right, instead of having one set of arrows and one set of orbs.

plain

Quote from: jakeroot on December 30, 2018, 11:09:05 PM
At the VA-20/VA-3 junction near Locust Grove, new signals are being installed. Took this photo today on my way back to Arlington from South Boston. I did not note if road widening was occuring, but the pavement was definitely new.

Unlike many other signals in Virginia, there seems to be quite a few secondary signals. Three of the four approaches have an overhead near-side signal, and the left turns off VA-3 will have two FYA heads, one overhead and one on the left. Although I did not confirm at the time, the near-side doghouse (closest in photo) seems to have arrows that point both left and right, instead of having one set of arrows and one set of orbs.

I haven't been through this intersection in a few years but I remember a couple of close calls here, pretty sure there has been a few accidents. I can see the need for the extra signals.

I saw 2 other doghouses with all arrows before, one in Newport News (gone now) and one in Portsmouth, not sure if that one is still there.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Quote from: plain on January 01, 2019, 11:12:06 AM
I haven't been through this intersection in a few years but I remember a couple of close calls here, pretty sure there has been a few accidents. I can see the need for the extra signals.

I would like to see them become a standard placement. I'm used to seeing them out west (as well as in NJ and MD), and they really help with visibility, especially when you're looking down at traffic waiting for a gap.

Quote from: plain on January 01, 2019, 11:12:06 AM
I saw 2 other doghouses with all arrows before, one in Newport News (gone now) and one in Portsmouth, not sure if that one is still there.

I'll have to go back down to this intersection again some day (maybe in the summer) to see if it does in fact operate as I suspect it may.

I have only ever seen one all-arrow doghouse, which was in Puyallup, WA: http://bit.ly/2Vmtqds

LM117

A little PSA for those traveling on US-58 near Danville.

(behind paywall)

https://www.godanriver.com/news/pittsylvania_county/detours-to-start-again-for-u-s-over-sandy-creek/article_65bc3248-108b-11e9-ac81-9f08dcf6f31f.html

QuoteTropical Storm Michael washed out areas along the bridges over Sandy Creek on Oct. 11. For several weeks following the deadly storm, the road was detoured while the Virginia Department of Transportation repaired one bridge.

Now, due to increased traffic and continued wet weather, an area of pavement on that road is breaking up, VDOT officials report.

Contractors will repair the surface and traffic along the stretch should reopen by Jan. 11, according to VDOT.

The temporary detour will snake through Milton, North Carolina, using Route 62 going through Milton, then Route 57 and Route 119 to return back to U.S. 58.

VDOT expects repairs currently underway to the other bridge over Sandy Creek to be complete by late February.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on January 05, 2019, 12:07:03 PM
A little PSA for those traveling on US-58 near Danville.

(behind paywall)

https://www.godanriver.com/news/pittsylvania_county/detours-to-start-again-for-u-s-over-sandy-creek/article_65bc3248-108b-11e9-ac81-9f08dcf6f31f.html

QuoteTropical Storm Michael washed out areas along the bridges over Sandy Creek on Oct. 11. For several weeks following the deadly storm, the road was detoured while the Virginia Department of Transportation repaired one bridge.

Now, due to increased traffic and continued wet weather, an area of pavement on that road is breaking up, VDOT officials report.

Contractors will repair the surface and traffic along the stretch should reopen by Jan. 11, according to VDOT.

The temporary detour will snake through Milton, North Carolina, using Route 62 going through Milton, then Route 57 and Route 119 to return back to U.S. 58.

VDOT expects repairs currently underway to the other bridge over Sandy Creek to be complete by late February.
Is that the area that is down to 1 lane, and a speed limit of 35?

D-Dey65

Quote from: plain on October 17, 2018, 05:39:54 PM
The Boulevard Bridge (VA 161) is still not shown as being tolled.
Really? Because I considered going there the last time I drove up north, and I'd still like to do it, and capture those toll booths.

Beltway

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 05, 2019, 02:14:54 PM
Really? Because I considered going there the last time I drove up north, and I'd still like to do it, and capture those toll booths.

It is still tolled, part of the RMTA that has the two tolled expressways.  I drove across it a couple weeks ago.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

plain

It's still tolled. When I said that I was referring to an inaccuracy in the Official State Map.
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on January 05, 2019, 07:01:58 PM

It is still tolled, part of the RMTA that has the two tolled expressways.  I drove across it a couple weeks ago.

This is the one many locals still call the Nickel Bridge, right?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.