News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on May 18, 2019, 09:46:36 PM
Slightly OT: Have you ever heard of the Witch of Kempsville?  Do you know what that refers to?
Never heard of it, but if I had to guess, it was when the reconstructed / relocated the Kempsville/Witchduck & Princess Anne intersection, and demolished everything in the area?

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: jakeroot on May 15, 2019, 07:03:52 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 15, 2019, 07:18:58 AM
Many recent installs in Morganton NC, made by NCDot, have been black signal units on curved mast arm supports also Hunter green.

Could you specify any specific locations? Didn't find any on Google Maps.

Enola at I-40, Enola at Sterling(NC18), Sterling at 40,  Sterling at Hospital Parkway, Enola at Fiddler's Run, and a few others.

amroad17

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 18, 2019, 07:51:19 PM
Quote from: Beltway on May 18, 2019, 07:44:53 PM
Indeed, I forgot to mention how close the VA-165 Kempsville Road intersection with US-58 Virginia Beach Blvd. is to where I-64 was built.  Old development around that intersection as well.
If an interchange was constructed when I-64 was constructed through the area, the whole area would've likely been bought out and a complete re-routing of the roads nearby, including Kempsville. Also, the design of the I-264 interchange would've been slightly different probably as well.
I think it's a good thing traffic wise there's not one there either way. Way too much merging and traffic coming in, no need for more troubles.

Perhaps.  But right-of-way impacts would have been especially severe for that Virginia Beach Blvd. and Kempsville Road area commercial strip and residential area, much more than at the I-64/I-264 interchange.

Slightly OT: Have you ever heard of the Witch of Kempsville?  Do you know what that refers to?
The area has been living with no interchange at I-64 and Va. Beach Blvd. for 50 years.  No need to add one now, besides there is not any room to build an interchange.

As far as your OT: there was a woman named Grace Sherwood (1660-1740), who was known as the Witch of Pungo.  She was convicted of witchcraft several times and went to a trial in 1706.  She was found guilty and sentenced to be ducked in the water.  If she sank and did not come up, she would be innocent; if she didn't sink, she would be guilty.  However, she did float to the surface and spent 8 years in jail. 

I'm sure both Beltway and sprjus4 are familiar with the area of Va. Beach known as Pungo, which is where she lived until her death at the age of 80.  There is also a statue of her near Sentara Independence Hospital at the corner of Independence Blvd. and Witchduck Rd. (northeast corner).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on May 19, 2019, 03:23:32 PM
The area has been living with no interchange at I-64 and Va. Beach Blvd. for 50 years.  No need to add one now, besides there is not any room to build an interchange.
It was mostly just a discussion on how one would have been built there IF they had decided to build one when they constructed I-64 through the area. Obviously one wouldn't be built today. The interchanges (US-13 / VA-166 and I-264) have issues already, and a lot of merging on the mainline. More merging would create a huge traffic jam. And like you indicated, no room.

As far as your OT: there was a woman named Grace Sherwood (1660-1740), who was known as the Witch of Pungo.  She was convicted of witchcraft several times and went to a trial in 1706.  She was found guilty and sentenced to be ducked in the water.  If she sank and did not come up, she would be innocent; if she didn't sink, she would be guilty.  However, she did float to the surface and spent 8 years in jail.
Hmm. Never heard of it. Interesting.

I'm sure both Beltway and sprjus4 are familiar with the area of Va. Beach known as Pungo, which is where she lived until her death at the age of 80.  There is also a statue of her near Sentara Independence Hospital at the corner of Independence Blvd. and Witchduck Rd. (northeast corner).
I'm familiar with Pungo, though have only been out there a few times. I just don't have much reasons to, though it's a nice area. Never seen the statue IIRC, though will have to check it out sometime.

Beltway

I hadn't really given it much thought in the past, but the question was asked, so I and others offered a few ideas about why that decision was made in the 1960s.

Interesting story, thanks, but what I was thinking of was much more recent.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on May 19, 2019, 03:35:05 PM
What were you thinking of?

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 19, 2019, 03:42:03 PM

It is an exercise to gauge and test knowledge about what posters know about Virginia Beach.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

amroad17

I wasn't in any way "dissing" any opinions brought forth.  They are all interesting.  It's just, like Beltway, I had never given it much thought.  Living in the area for 22 years, it was something that was accepted.  Even in the 1970's, I realized there could never be an interchange at that location.  If I needed to get to that area from the Western Branch area of Chesapeake (back when tolls for the tunnels were 25 cents), I would either exit off Military Hwy or Newtown Rd. to reach Va. Beach Blvd.

amroad17

Quote from: Beltway on May 19, 2019, 03:46:54 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 19, 2019, 03:42:03 PM

It is an exercise to gauge and test knowledge about what posters know about Virginia Beach.
One joke about Virginia Beach was that Meyera Orberndorf was considered Mayor for Life.  As it was, she was mayor for almost 21 years.  RIP Meyera.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on May 19, 2019, 03:46:54 PM
I'm not the most familiar about Virginia Beach, more so Chesapeake, where I'm at.

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on May 19, 2019, 04:03:08 PM
One joke about Virginia Beach was that Meyera Orberndorf was considered Mayor for Life.  As it was, she was mayor for almost 21 years.  RIP Meyera.
Seems like the City Council here in Chesapeake  :banghead:

Beltway

Quote from: amroad17 on May 19, 2019, 03:51:40 PM
I wasn't in any way "dissing" any opinions brought forth.  They are all interesting.  It's just, like Beltway, I had never given it much thought.  Living in the area for 22 years, it was something that was accepted.  Even in the 1970's, I realized there could never be an interchange at that location.  If I needed to get to that area from the Western Branch area of Chesapeake (back when tolls for the tunnels were 25 cents), I would either exit off Military Hwy or Newtown Rd. to reach Va. Beach Blvd.

I didn't take it as being criticism, just questions for thought.  Some places there are major thoroughfares that don't connect to a freeway due to the proximity to other interchanges.

US-29 Lee Highway over I-495 Capital Beltway and VA-617 Backlick Road under I-495 come to mind.  No connections to the general purpose lanes of I-495.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on May 19, 2019, 08:33:18 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on May 19, 2019, 03:51:40 PM

I didn't take it as being criticism, just questions for thought.  Some places there are major thoroughfares that don't connect to a freeway due to the proximity to other interchanges.

US-29 Lee Highway over I-495 Capital Beltway and VA-617 Backlick Road under I-495 come to mind.  No connections to the general purpose lanes of I-495.
Some other examples in Hampton Roads include I-64 over Shell Road near the US-17 George Washington Hwy interchange, Providence Rd (no official route number, though the overpass marker on the bridge over I-64 indicates "Rt 409"?) over I-64 near the Indian River Rd interchange, and Hampton Roads Pkwy over I-664 in between the VA-164 Western Freeway & VA-135 College Dr interchanges. Probably other ones too.

froggie

^ Providence Rd was VA 409 in the '80s and '90s.  Decommed in 2001.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on May 20, 2019, 08:40:50 AM
You'd think by now the signage would be fixed.

Thanks for the info as always.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2019, 09:49:42 AM

You'd think that, but unfortunately no. There are SR's signed from I-664 in Chesapeake that haven't actually existed for decades, with some older signs being replaced with new ones that still have the old SR numbers on them. I doubt the Hampton Roads district actually cares.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

sprjus4

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 20, 2019, 01:12:09 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2019, 09:49:42 AM

You'd think that, but unfortunately no. There are SR's signed from I-664 in Chesapeake that haven't actually existed for decades, with some older signs being replaced with new ones that still have the old SR numbers on them. I doubt the Hampton Roads district actually cares.
All of the signage on I-664 has been replaced in the last few years just about. Guess they've just copied directly the old signage as opposed to actually updating it.

LM117

I noticed here a few days ago rumble strips was put down on the center line on VA-41 between Twin Springs Elementary School near Mount Hermon and at least as far as the Dollar General next to Whitmell School Road.

That's one way to discourage passing, I suppose...
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jakeroot

Quote from: LM117 on May 20, 2019, 08:08:20 PM
That's one way to discourage passing, I suppose...

I think the primary purpose is to alarm drivers, who might be drowsy or inattentive.

1995hoo

I'm positive I've been on roads that had rumble strips where there was a double yellow line and no rumble strip where there was a passing zone, though I can't recall what road(s) had that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

plain

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 20, 2019, 09:01:32 PM
I'm positive I've been on roads that had rumble strips where there was a double yellow line and no rumble strip where there was a passing zone, though I can't recall what road(s) had that.

Was it maybe a Super-2?
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on May 20, 2019, 09:07:26 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 20, 2019, 09:01:32 PM

Was it maybe a Super-2?

As I said, I just don't remember.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

I think it's personally best to have rumble strips regardless of passing zone or not. It alerts you if you veer over, and when you go to perform a pass in a passing zone, the rumble strips fully alert you when you cross over and when you go back over. Just because there's broken lines doesn't mean rumble strips should disappear.

That's my opinion anyways. Then again, most of my rural 2-lane road driving has taken place in Texas (where rumble strips exist constantly, 13 - 14 foot lanes, 10 foot paved shoulders, higher speed limits, etc) rather than Virginia, so maybe I'm just to it there.

famartin

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2019, 09:19:23 PM
I think it's personally best to have rumble strips regardless of passing zone or not. It alerts you if you veer over, and when you go to perform a pass in a passing zone, the rumble strips fully alert you when you cross over and when you go back over. Just because there's broken lines doesn't mean rumble strips should disappear.

That's my opinion anyways. Then again, most of my rural 2-lane road driving has taken place in Texas (where rumble strips exist constantly, 13 - 14 foot lanes, 10 foot paved shoulders, higher speed limits, etc) rather than Virginia, so maybe I'm just to it there.

The lack of paved shoulders on the undivided state highways is definitely a "thing"  here in VA. They are much more common in MD and NJ.

sprjus4

Quote from: famartin on May 20, 2019, 11:38:43 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2019, 09:19:23 PM

The lack of paved shoulders on the undivided state highways is definitely a "thing"  here in VA. They are much more common in MD and NJ.
I see that now looking on Google Maps. I've not done much driving up northeast, so I'm not too accustomed to the roads up that way. I would assume the speeds are still 55 MPH though, even with the higher road design, just because of it's geographical location.

Down in Texas, which naturally has higher speeds because of it's location, have 70 - 75 MPH on most two-lane. I even know a few that are designed like Virginia roads (12 foot lanes, 4 foot paved shoulder) that are posted at 70 MPH. Then again, they're also much straighter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.