News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on August 27, 2019, 10:15:30 PM
The rebuilt I-95 northbound on-ramp from VA-3 will be 3 lanes until it merges with the new 3-lane northbound local roadway.

I am satisfied with that.  Provides 3 new northbound lanes between VA-3 and US-17.

Six miles I-95 widening between south of VA-3 and north of US-17 will be constructed 2018 to 2023, the C-D roadways with 3 lanes each way

Not anymore. The northbound on-ramp from VA-3 shrinks to two lanes and doesn't widen back to three until north of Fall Hill Avenue (when the I-95 off-ramp merges). Will still be able to handle the traffic IMO but it ain't three lanes. Also saying this project will widen six miles of I-95 seems like a stretch (most certainly in the northbound direction). A little over 4 miles seems to be more accurate. 

This not only widens the I-95 general purpose lanes, but also builds the Outer Connector Northeast Quadrant Corridor 5 as presented in the 2001 DEIS.  The corridor out to the Lick Run area on VA-3 would have been much more effective, nevertheless this is the OC NWQ Corridor 5 that provides a local freeway connection between US-17 and VA-3, which provides a critical link for local traffic at a weak point in the Fredericksburg regional road system, as well as relief to I-95 and US-1 over the Rappahannock River.

The US-1 bridge over the Rappahannock could stand to get rebuilt or widened as well. However, it looks like the historic property on the Stafford side could make that nearly impossible.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on August 27, 2019, 10:39:00 PM
Six miles I-95 widening between south of VA-3 and north of US-17 will be constructed 2018 to 2023, the C-D roadways with 3 lanes each way
Not anymore. The northbound on-ramp from VA-3 shrinks to two lanes and doesn't widen back to three until north of Fall Hill Avenue (when the I-95 off-ramp merges). Will still be able to handle the traffic IMO but it ain't three lanes. Also saying this project will widen six miles of I-95 seems like a stretch (most certainly in the northbound direction). A little over 4 miles seems to be more accurate. 
OK, I now see 4 miles NB and 5 miles SB.

Still and all a NB 2 to 3 lane local freeway roadway between VA-3 and north of US-17.

Quote from: Jmiles32 on August 27, 2019, 10:39:00 PM
The US-1 bridge over the Rappahannock could stand to get rebuilt or widened as well. However, it looks like the historic property on the Stafford side could make that nearly impossible.
Isn't there a project in the works for a major rehab of the bridge?  That would likely involve closing 2 lanes, and will be a lot more feasible after the new I-95 roadways are complete between VA-3 and US-17, to provide traffic relief.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on August 20, 2019, 10:44:46 PM
The new bridges appear to have full 10-foot left shoulders.
Drove through earlier heading eastbound, the mainline has a 4 foot left paved shoulder, though the guardrail sections and bridges have a full 10 or 12 foot left paved shoulder. The eastern end of the project shifts the left 2 lanes back to the existing lanes while the right lane exits off and a stub exists to when the future third lane east of Exit 205 is built. A very nice result.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 27, 2019, 11:49:19 PM
Quote from: Beltway on August 20, 2019, 10:44:46 PM
The new [Chickahominy River] bridges appear to have full 10-foot left shoulders.
Drove through earlier heading eastbound, the mainline has a 4 foot left paved shoulder, though the guardrail sections and bridges have a full 10 or 12 foot left paved shoulder. The eastern end of the project shifts the left 2 lanes back to the existing lanes while the right lane exits off and a stub exists to when the future third lane east of Exit 205 is built. A very nice result.
Segment III still has a ways to go, probably to the end of the 2020 construction season.

19 miles out of the 27 miles of I-64 widening is now complete.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 14, 2019, 10:19:23 PM
NORFOLK -- The new flyover ramp from Interstate 64 west to Interstate 264 east will open to traffic the night of Wednesday, Aug. 14, increasing capacity and enhancing safety along the highly traveled interchange.

The completion of the bridge marks a major milestone in the first phase of the I-64/264 Interchange Improvements project, which is scheduled for completion this fall. "Opening this new ramp is a crucial step in improving one of the busiest interchanges in Hampton Roads," said Chris Hall, Hampton Roads district engineer. "Most importantly, we're making travel safer for the more than 100,000 people who live, work and drive here everyday."

The ramp will add capacity at the interchange and remove a conflict point by elevating traffic from the I-64 west ramp over the I-264 east collector-distributor road and placing motorists directly onto mainline I-264 east.

This new traffic pattern, which motorists should anticipate during the Thursday morning commute, will eliminate the jockeying that occurs between drivers leaving I-264 for Newtown Road and those merging onto I-264 from I-64 west.

https://www.virginiadot.org/VDOT/Travel/Travel_Alerts/Hampton_Roads/asset_upload_file56_55256.pdf

Was supposed to open tonight, however it was once again delayed due to "an inspection that revealed items that need to be completed prior to the ramp opening to traffic."

Updated release -

QuoteNORFOLK -- The new flyover ramp from Interstate 64 west to Interstate 264 east will not open to traffic tonight, as originally scheduled, after a pre-opening inspection revealed items that need to be completed prior to the ramp opening.

VDOT initially believed the outstanding items could be completed in time for the flyover ramp to open, but after further review, additional time is needed.

"Ultimately, delivering a quality product is one of VDOT's top priorities," said Chris Hall, VDOT Hampton Roads district engineer. "We would rather delay the opening of the new ramp to correct these issues while the road is not under traffic."

VDOT will announce a new opening date once repairs are complete.

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/VDOT-DELAYS-OPENING-OF-NEW-RAMP-FROM-I-64W-TO-I-264E.html?soid=1124277087205&aid=5xyRMNEEfWo
Still not open as of tonight, August 27, and no date yet from VDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Beltway on August 27, 2019, 11:44:27 PM

Isn't there a project in the works for a major rehab of the bridge?  That would likely involve closing 2 lanes, and will be a lot more feasible after the new I-95 roadways are complete between VA-3 and US-17, to provide traffic relief.

Not in current 6-yr SYIP.  Will be a colossal PITA to replace this 1943 bridge.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 28, 2019, 06:41:42 AM
Quote from: Beltway on August 27, 2019, 11:44:27 PM
Not in current 6-yr SYIP.  Will be a colossal PITA to replace this 1943 bridge.
The Business Route 3 Rappahannock River Bridge is in the SYIP at $20 million.

No entry for the US-1 bridge.

I see in the bridge inventory that it was built in 1943 and reconstructed in 1981.  I recall that project but I don't recall exactly what was done.  From the looks of the bridge probably substructure and roadway deck rehab and a latex concrete overlay of the bridge deck.

So while the bridge was built 76 years ago it had a major rebab 38 years ago.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

Whatever they did to the concrete overlay is wearing out...numerous patches have been applied over last 10 years...

https://goo.gl/maps/PrFnyn259nmZ6YPU9

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 28, 2019, 08:44:14 AM
Whatever they did to the concrete overlay is wearing out...numerous patches have been applied over last 10 years...
38 years is a long time on a bridge deck that carries high volumes of traffic.

Just pointing out that it is in much better shape than its 76 year age would be without a major rehab in the past, and that explains why the bridge is still structurally adequate. 

I seem to recall that one of the major impediments has been the fact that there is not enough space to build a new bridge without closing half of the existing bridge, and that would make the Rappahannock River bottleneck even worse than it already is and for at least 2 years. 

Getting the new I-95 C-D roadways open between VA-3 and US-17 by 2023 will among other things make this project much more livable during construction, with a signed alternate route.  The bridge is about 1,650 feet long and that is short enough that the costs to replace should also be in the more livable range.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

tolbs17

Quote from: Beltway on August 28, 2019, 09:23:23 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on August 28, 2019, 08:44:14 AM
38 years is a long time on a bridge deck that carries high volumes of traffic.

Just pointing out that it is in much better shape than its 76 year age would be without a major rehab in the past, and that explains why the bridge is still structurally adequate. 

I seem to recall that one of the major impediments has been the fact that there is not enough space to build a new bridge without closing half of the existing bridge, and that would make the Rappahannock River bottleneck even worse than it already is and for at least 2 years. 

Getting the new I-95 C-D roadways open between VA-3 and US-17 by 2023 will among other things make this project much more livable during construction, with a signed alternate route.  The bridge is about 1,650 feet long and that is short enough that the costs to replace should also be in the more livable range.
Concrete consumes less fuel but it's more expensive. They also have much longer lifespan than asphalt. I would love to see every freeway built like that but i think it's doubtful.

Beltway

Quote from: Beltway on August 28, 2019, 07:15:44 AM
Speaking of ...
https://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/chatham-bridge-to-close-in-may-for-repairs/article_2004ba14-1e27-51eb-b5b1-cca148b92563.html
Excerpts:

Drivers will have to use a detour instead of Chatham Bridge to cross the Rappahannock River beginning in May.

The Virginia Department of Transportation will close the 78-year-old span, which carries about 16,000 vehicles a day, for 16 months so its superstructure can be rehabilitated.  It will begin advertising for a contractor in January to install new steel bridge girders and top them with a smoother concrete surface than the current one, which is deteriorating, among other improvements.

VDOT will use $23.4 million from Virginia's State of Good Repair program for the entire project, which will include improvements along the detour route that includes Dixon Street and the Blue and Gray Parkway. CES Consulting of Sterling was just hired to start on that part next month.

Work on the bridge will include widening the superstructure from 50 feet to a little more than 57 feet–an additional 3 feet and 7 inches per side, removing the narrow sidewalks and adding a nearly 10-foot-wide, shared-use path for pedestrians and bicyclists on the downstream side.

See the URL for the rest of the article, and the detour map.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on August 31, 2019, 09:35:15 PM
Quote from: Beltway on August 28, 2019, 07:15:44 AM
Speaking of ...
https://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/chatham-bridge-to-close-in-may-for-repairs/article_2004ba14-1e27-51eb-b5b1-cca148b92563.html
Excerpts:

Drivers will have to use a detour instead of Chatham Bridge to cross the Rappahannock River beginning in May.

The Virginia Department of Transportation will close the 78-year-old span, which carries about 16,000 vehicles a day, for 16 months so its superstructure can be rehabilitated.  It will begin advertising for a contractor in January to install new steel bridge girders and top them with a smoother concrete surface than the current one, which is deteriorating, among other improvements.

VDOT will use $23.4 million from Virginia's State of Good Repair program for the entire project, which will include improvements along the detour route that includes Dixon Street and the Blue and Gray Parkway. CES Consulting of Sterling was just hired to start on that part next month.

Work on the bridge will include widening the superstructure from 50 feet to a little more than 57 feet–an additional 3 feet and 7 inches per side, removing the narrow sidewalks and adding a nearly 10-foot-wide, shared-use path for pedestrians and bicyclists on the downstream side.

See the URL for the rest of the article, and the detour map.
Hopefully it's not another screw up to local traffic like the Centerville Turnpike bridge closure here in Chesapeake, which similarly carries 16,000 AADT. It has only been one week now, and the traffic has been a nightmare around here, most notably during rush hour, especially AM. PM is more tolerable, but still can get choked up especially on the bypass. With school starting next week, it's only going to add to the problem and make it worse.

plain

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 14, 2019, 08:08:05 PM
Quote from: plain on May 14, 2019, 07:42:27 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2019, 06:59:21 PM
At least NC got rid of the double red left balls on protected left turns.  Though Texas picked up where the Tar Heel State left off. I see more and more red arrows in NC, but one signal in Cheraw on US 1 and SC 9 (the east end of the wrong way concurrency) copied NC's old way of heading a protected left.

Interestingly Henrico County still uses double reds for single-lane protected lefts on county roads... not those "T" signals though, these are completely vertical (NC sometimes used these completely vertical ones too though, and Baltimore still has some). Nowadays even these have red arrows instead of balls.

Baltimore County even uses one of those "double arrow" signals for dual left turn lanes.

Delaware uses the T signals with two red arrows (though both arrows never show simultaneously - one is steady and the other flashes).

Bumping this because there is now a T-signal in Virginia, and right here in Richmond no less  :spin:

I'm about to post it in the general Traffic Signal thread.
Newark born, Richmond bred

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

froggie

Never had a problem going through Eastville.  The (lack of) timing on the signal at SR 631 guarantees that most US 13 drivers don't speed.  In my experience, you're "more likely" to get pulled over near Emporia than near Eastville.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on September 09, 2019, 08:18:15 AM
A little heads up for those going through Eastville...

https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/eastville-tops-in-state-in-percentage-of-law-enforcement-revenues/
Not surprising. Just another typical Eastern Shore speed trap town on US-13. I would have expected Emporia or Greensville County more so though, willing to bet they're a close second. I've yet to go through there without seeing at least one trap setup, either on I-95, the US-58 Bypass, or the rural stretch near the airport. I've even seen them waiting for people as the speed limit drops from 60 mph to 45 mph on the bypass as you come over that overpass waiting to nab you.

To be fair though, it's not just Emporia / Greensville County. I've seen police presence all along US-58 between Suffolk and Emporia, also outside of South Hill. Just another reason to avoid that road. US-17 to US-64 is my preferred go to lately when heading south. I've yet to see any police enforcement on that route so it's a lot easier to maintain 70 mph, there's significantly less traffic, and there's only about 45 miles of 55-60 mph zones compared to about 60 miles of it on US-58 once outside of Hampton Roads (west of Suffolk, and south of Chesapeake), and 75 miles of the route is posted 70 mph as opposed to the US-58 / I-95 combo which is only about 50 miles posted at 70 mph. Also, it's a beauty to be able to avoid the 50 mile stretch of I-95 between Rocky Mount and Emporia which during peak travel times can be a mess compared to little to no traffic on US-64. At least in my case, it avoids the worst stretch of I-64, between the I-464 and I-664 / US-58, and it avoids the congested Suffolk Bypass, which while it moves, there's just significantly more traffic, crazy drivers, etc. to deal with. I've almost had a few near misses on there caused by other drivers, especially on the few sharper curves plus the urban arterial segment east of there can be a pain due to heavy traffic, red lights, etc. Certain urban segments exist on US-17, but it's a lot more tolerable, not nearly as long, and much less traffic.

For me, US-17 to US-64 is only about 15 miles additional compared to US-58, but it's worth it IMO. There's even been times I've come from I-85 near Durham, and I've cut over via I-40 to US-64 in Raleigh and follow it up that way. That's even more mileage, but it avoids ~90 miles of US-58. I've only done the latter when I have about 10-15 extra minutes to spare, but the former I've been doing every time for the past ~6 months. I feel more comfortable doing 70 mph on that road than US-58, especially considering the amount of times I've traveled US-17 without seeing police and the amount of times I've traveled US-58 seeing police presence 100% of the time.

amroad17

^ This plug for I-87 brought to you by sprjus4!  :thumbsup:

I'm sorry, I'm just joking with you.  Besides, I had to write something before Beltway did!  :-D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on September 09, 2019, 05:47:00 PM
^ This plug for I-87 brought to you by sprjus4!  :thumbsup:

I'm sorry, I'm just joking with you.
It's not even about I-87. Sure, that's indeed its corridor, but I still prefer the existing highway as is over US-58, even if I-87 was not a thing.

Quote from: amroad17 on September 09, 2019, 05:47:00 PM
Besides, I had to write something before Beltway did!  :-D
If I had to guess, something about the comments regarding police enforcement, or how I-87 is a "vanity" highway despite it never being mentioned.

But I digress.

LM117

When I read that article to my dad (he's blind), he found it amusing for two reasons:

1. Him and his folks are from Eastville.

2. He went to high school with the mayor (both graduated the same year).
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 09, 2019, 04:55:29 PM
Not surprising. Just another typical Eastern Shore speed trap town on US-13. I would have expected Emporia or Greensville County more so though, willing to bet they're a close second. I've yet to go through there without seeing at least one trap setup, either on I-95, the US-58 Bypass, or the rural stretch near the airport.
Same recycled garbage.  In all the years I -rarely- (as in less than 10%) see any enforcement there, other than I-95 during the bridge replacement project.  He hates US-58, loves the VI-87 concept.  Why not just admit that you like to go 20+ over the limit rather than attack the law?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Same recycled garbage.
Broken record.

He hates US-58, loves the VI-87 concept.
Another broken record.

Did I ever mentioned "V" I-87 in my initial posting? You're just obsessed with attacking the concept at every "opportunity"  you get.

QuoteIt's not even about I-87. Sure, that's indeed its corridor, but I still prefer the existing highway as is over US-58, even if I-87 was not a thing.

QuoteWhy not just admit that you like to go 20+ over the limit rather than attack the law?
And yet again, another broken record!

Again, you're just putting words in my mouth to support your "arguments" . I never said I like going 20+ over the speed limit. I prefer going a comfortable and appropriate speed for the road I'm on. 70 mph on a divided highway is no where unreasonable nor reckless. The "law"  is setting an absurdly slow 55 - 60 mph artificial limit that is strictly based on functional class rather than what the road is designed for and can safely handle. My attack is based on the fact that local municipalities (I.E Emporia, Hopewell, and others) use this to their advantage and use highways with under posted speed limits to pull people over and cite as "reckless driving"  when they're maintaining a rather appropriate speed for the design of the roadway. I.E. doing 75 mph on a well designed divided highway with an absurdly slow 55 mph limit.

How come other states have divided highways of same quality, design, traffic counts, etc. posted at 70 - 75 mph and they're not "reckless" ? That's the root of my issues with these police enforcement speed trap towns. I don't have these issues in a state such as Texas where the speed limit is appropriately set and I have no reason to go above that 75 mph speed limit on a divided highway, when in Virginia it's only 55 or 60 mph and becomes a snooze fest quickly.

plain

I've seen a lot more people pulled by cops on the Delaware segment than Virginia's.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

Quote from: plain on September 09, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
I've seen a lot more people pulled by cops on the Delaware segment than Virginia's.
US-113 or US-13?

tolbs17

Quote from: plain on September 09, 2019, 09:23:14 PM
Is it cause Delaware is not as safe as Virginia is?

And I'm guessing US-113 acts like a bypass of Salisbury (even though Salisbury already has a bypass).

Rothman

The towns along US 13 in Delaware are notorious speed traps, like Greenwood.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.