News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 28, 2021, 09:38:34 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 27, 2021, 12:34:31 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 27, 2021, 10:24:24 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 26, 2021, 12:51:49 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on May 24, 2021, 09:07:16 PM
That offramp has had gates since at least 2012 - https://www.google.com/maps/@36.96706,-76.2934643,3a,75y,209.19h,85.37t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPgkNAmOdMrtQkDoC9-jIhA!2e0!5s20120501T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Are they not used? Was their installation a mistake given the inspection station?

Those gates were installed as part of the contraflow setup used for hurricane evacuations, which begins at Willoughby Spit. Every ramp on I-64 between there and I-295 has gates. I can't confirm on VDOT's website, but I presume this offramp would be closed when contraflow is in effect.
The gates were only installed on the eastbound on-ramps, not westbound, because it would be the eastbound lanes that would flip to westbound if the reversal was put in place. Westbound lanes would continue carrying westbound traffic.

No, the gates were installed on westbound ramps too. VDOT's old contraflow plan states that some westbound entrance and exit ramps will be closed to smooth traffic flow and prevent bottlenecks.

But you're welcome to check for yourself. Not like I lived there for 20 years and watched those gates go up or anything...  :rolleyes:

Well, then I guess this begs the question: is VDOT simply using a contraflow gate to stop on-ramp traffic at the Willoughby Spit? When I first saw the tweet from a couple pages back, I had the impression the gate was installed purely to stop traffic from bypassing I-64. I can see from Street View that gates have been installed at the Willoughby Spit junction for...as long as street view has been around (at least 2007).

ran4sh

Now that Florida is on E-ZPass and Minnesota and Georgia will be on E-ZPass soon, I was looking at the various options for obtaining an E-ZPass.

I noticed that E-ZPass Flex units only have a switch for HOV on/off (as opposed to the California transponder which has a switch for 1, 2, or 3+ people in your car), but different Express Lanes in the Northern Virginia area have different HOV qualification.

Specifically, I-66 HO/T allows HOV 2+ free, but it intersects with I-495 HO/T which requires HOV 3+ for a free ride. Which means a driver of HOV2 whose route uses both of those roads must switch the Flex at the interchange. But what happens if they forget, do they just get ticketed? It's interesting that the websites of both the I-66 and I-495 HO/T (Express) lanes don't address that possibility.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

sprjus4

^

Not sure, but once the I-66 Outside the Beltway project is complete, the segment that is HOV-2 will be switching to HOV-3, so it will be uniform after that.

The Express Lanes in Hampton Roads are HOV-2, but that's a different part of the state altogether.

ran4sh

Yeah, there would be no issue if someone is driving from Hampton Roads to Northern Virginia, because that's a long time to remember to switch the E-ZPass and one can find a place to stop if they are unable to do it while driving.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: jakeroot on May 28, 2021, 01:11:23 PM=
Well, then I guess this begs the question: is VDOT simply using a contraflow gate to stop on-ramp traffic at the Willoughby Spit? When I first saw the tweet from a couple pages back, I had the impression the gate was installed purely to stop traffic from bypassing I-64. I can see from Street View that gates have been installed at the Willoughby Spit junction for...as long as street view has been around (at least 2007).

The gate on the westbound onramp at Willoughby Spit was there before the contraflow gates were installed. The gate on the westbound offramp at Willoughby Spit was added with the other contraflow gates.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: ran4sh on May 30, 2021, 06:18:22 PM
Now that Florida is on E-ZPass and Minnesota and Georgia will be on E-ZPass soon, I was looking at the various options for obtaining an E-ZPass.

I noticed that E-ZPass Flex units only have a switch for HOV on/off (as opposed to the California transponder which has a switch for 1, 2, or 3+ people in your car), but different Express Lanes in the Northern Virginia area have different HOV qualification.

Specifically, I-66 HO/T allows HOV 2+ free, but it intersects with I-495 HO/T which requires HOV 3+ for a free ride. Which means a driver of HOV2 whose route uses both of those roads must switch the Flex at the interchange. But what happens if they forget, do they just get ticketed? It's interesting that the websites of both the I-66 and I-495 HO/T (Express) lanes don't address that possibility.

How is E-ZPass getting to take over a large chunk of the Eastern U.S.? That is quite an interesting situation.
And it is quite interesting as well that they are planning to further limit the interior 66 lanes once the outer portion is completed.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

sprjus4

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on June 15, 2021, 07:55:03 PM
The Bi-County Parkway is back from the dead again:

https://www.princewilliamtimes.com/news/bi-county-parkway-returns-for-debate-as-county-considers-its-long-term-transportation-plans/article_bdc915e8-cdfb-11eb-9a1d-571bc7345bcf.html?fbclid=IwAR0H5Cv7AI-4oPpUZoed-eOyL6h2wR9KFn3KUMcEN0Lt9e5hSuKkYfKl55s
Good. And hopefully, with long term sustainability in mind, it will properly be constructed as a freeway facility or at least limited access rural design with right of way for future interchanges. At least one type of facility to that design is needed in the area, particularly as a bypass for US-15.

How about keep it going up to the VA-7 corridor?

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Jmiles32

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on June 15, 2021, 07:55:03 PM
The Bi-County Parkway is back from the dead again:

https://www.princewilliamtimes.com/news/bi-county-parkway-returns-for-debate-as-county-considers-its-long-term-transportation-plans/article_bdc915e8-cdfb-11eb-9a1d-571bc7345bcf.html?fbclid=IwAR0H5Cv7AI-4oPpUZoed-eOyL6h2wR9KFn3KUMcEN0Lt9e5hSuKkYfKl55s

The only way the Bi-County Parkway has any shot of ever getting built is if two things happen. The first would be the closure of VA-234 through the battlefield that would result in north/south traffic being forced to use Pageland Lane. At the moment I would argue that the existing two lane Pageland is fine as it is capacity wise. However, if VA-234 was closed then I think this would not be the case and thus you would have a more clear need for an upgraded four lane corridor. Right now the "Western connection to Dulles" or even the stronger "North/South connection to Loudoun" argument isn't cutting it in terms of gaining local political support and the response seems to always be to just get people to use US-15 or VA-28. The second thing would be a route change which I'm hoping will soon happen. Instead of having the parkway follow Pageland and Saunders lane (where I suspect most of the residential opposition is) to Northstar Blvd, have it instead follow the southern half of Pageland and then cut over east to connect to Gum Spring Road. Not only would this routing affect less properties, but it would also cost significantly less due to the fact that most of Gum Spring Road is already upgraded to a nice four lane road. While actually funding the Bi-county Parkway is another issue (probably around $1 billion at this point), I believe that these two conditions would be the necessary compromise to finally move the road forward. While a full freeway is not needed, limited access would certainly be nice.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

sprjus4

^

Something along the lines of a limited access facility or freeway is needed for the US-15 corridor between I-66 and Leesburg.

Jmiles32

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 15, 2021, 11:51:22 PM
^

Something along the lines of a limited access facility or freeway is needed for the US-15 corridor between I-66 and Leesburg.

VA-28/VA-7 is the best we're gonna get and that corridor will probably be built to eight gp lanes plus hot lanes before something like that would ever be considered along the US-15 corridor.

kernals12

Why not just turn Route 28 south of I-66 into a freeway? Seems more cost effective.

Mapmikey

Quote from: kernals12 on June 16, 2021, 07:09:30 PM
Why not just turn Route 28 south of I-66 into a freeway? Seems more cost effective.

Pull up a satellite view of VA 28 to see why not.

Jmiles32

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 16, 2021, 07:50:37 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 16, 2021, 07:09:30 PM

Pull up a satellite view of VA 28 to see why not.

While certainly not more cost effective IMO, Fairfax is planning for an eventual interchange at New Braddock Road where I assume in the process the two lights north of that intersection will be eliminated. In a dream scenario south of New Braddock Road, the freeway section would extend to a final big interchange with Compton Road, Ordway Road, and the future Route 28 bypass. The existing three intersections between the New Braddock Road and Compton Road interchanges would be eliminated. However I do not think that there is local support for this and already the future Route 28 bypass tie in is planned to be a T intersection.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 15, 2021, 11:51:22 PM
^

There's a lot of old money along US 15 in rural Loudoun County, I would imagine there would be fierce opposition to making any major improvements to that corridor.
Will Weaver

Mapmikey

Here's a photo showing a VA 102 cutout (right at the bridge) when it existed in Floyd County...

https://twitter.com/VaDOT/status/1403401103534866435

sprjus4

More progress being made... the entire project stretches from MM 241 to MM 233 and will be fully complete by Fall 2021. Upon completion, between 2016 and 2021, approximately 26 miles of I-64 between MM 254 and MM 233, and between MM 200 and 205, will have been expanded from 4 to 6 lanes. A 28 mile gap between MM 205 and MM 233 will remain at 4 lanes until funding is identified to complete that stretch.

New, Third Travel Lane Opens Along Eastern Project Limits of I-64 Widening Project
QuoteYORK COUNTY — As of overnight on Tuesday, June 22, contractor crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) I-64 Widening Segment III Project have increased vehicle capacity eastbound by opening approximately two miles of a third travel lane to traffic. Following overnight operations to adjust traffic barriers, motorists are now able to utilize a third lane for travel on I-64 east between the on-ramp at Route 143 (exit 238) to the eastern limits of the project, just west of Route 199 (exit 242).

Lane closures will continue as needed in this section of I-64, as well as throughout the project corridor. Crews will also be implementing lane closures to place the final surface layer of pavement across all lanes to create a smooth riding surface throughout the project corridor.

Motorists are reminded to continue to obey the reduced work zone speed limit of 55 mph on I-64 and to drive with caution when traveling in the project work zone.
All project work and scheduled closures are dependent upon weather conditions. 

For additional scheduled lane closures this week and to learn more about the I-64 Widening Segment III project, please visit the project website at http://i64widening.org/learn_more/segment_3.asp.

WillWeaverRVA

The Jeff Davis Highway renaming saga continues. The Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors approved renaming the segment within the county.

They're officially renaming it "Route 1". As in, that's its actual name. Never mind that it's also US 301 or anything.

https://www.nbc12.com/2021/06/23/chesterfield-discuss-renaming-jefferson-davis-highway/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wwbt
Will Weaver

74/171FAN

^They may as well call it "Historic Route 1" which they have already posted it as for some reason.  (Note that I am not endorsing adding it to usaush in Travel Mapping.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

From that NBC12 story:

QuoteOfficials say the name change makes the most sense as many of their residents already refer to the area as "˜Route One.'

Jmiles32

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 23, 2021, 12:42:29 PM
A 28 mile gap between MM 205 and MM 233 will remain at 4 lanes until funding is identified to complete that stretch.

http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2021/april/3-interstate_operations_and_enhancement_program.pdf
According to this we should know within a month which interstate projects will be funded by the recent I-81 bill in which annual dedicated funding is allocated to I-81 and other interstates across the state. While we know the recommended projects for I-95 and I-64, what we don't know unlike with I-81 is their funding and timetables. For I-64 the top priority should be continued widening of the Williamsburg/Richmond four lane gap and improvements to the Oak Grove interchange (I-464). For I-95 the top priority should be widening to four lanes from Exit 130 to Exit 126 and improvements to the Fairfax County Parkway Interchange.

sprjus4

sprjus4

Quote from: Jmiles32 on June 24, 2021, 05:49:25 PM
http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2021/april/3-interstate_operations_and_enhancement_program.pdf
According to this we should know within a month which interstate projects will be funded by the recent I-81 bill in which annual dedicated funding is allocated to I-81 and other interstates across the state. While we know the recommended projects for I-95 and I-64, what we don't know unlike with I-81 is their funding and timetables. For I-64 the top priority should be continued widening of the Williamsburg/Richmond four lane gap and improvements to the Oak Grove interchange (I-464). For I-95 the top priority should be widening to four lanes from Exit 130 to Exit 126 and improvements to the Fairfax County Parkway Interchange.
Agreed. VDOT also badly needs to do something about I-95, specifically southbound south of the Occoquan River. Widen the highway in that direction to 4 lanes plus that new auxiliary lane and let it go for a few more miles, at the minimum. The merge is poorly positioned and the backups seem to happen every day, well outside of peak hours. And whenever the HO/T lanes are positioned the opposite direction (as it often is - due to incompetency in building a proper 2 way setup), it's impossible to reliably bypass the congestion.

Regarding I-64, they need to begin a full environmental impact statement on the reconstruction of the I-64 / I-464 (Oak Grove Interchange) junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.