News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: Rothman on July 11, 2021, 04:26:29 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 11, 2021, 04:07:56 PM
Quote from: Old Dominionite on July 11, 2021, 02:01:43 PM
Did VDOT cut back even more on mowing? I've never seen so many medians and shoulders looking like they've gone months without any maintenance. Aside from the unkempt and unsightly appearance, this ridiculously high vegetation threatens to damage concrete curbs and medians, and will inevitably clog storm drains. The state can do better.

Mowing is one of the quickest and easiest ways for states to cut back when they need money for other things.
I don't think so.  Mowing contracts are pretty set every two years.

VDOT districts do the mowing contracts and at least one does them as annual renewals. The 2019 RFP I saw does say twice monthly for mowing. 

Mowing has definitely slowed down over the years in Virginia. If I were to guess I would say it was deliberately done the same time rest areas were temporarily shuttered and not returned to a normal schedule when the economy got better.

hbelkins

Did VDOT cut back even more on mowing? I've never seen so many medians and shoulders looking like they've gone months without any maintenance. Aside from the unkempt and unsightly appearance, this ridiculously high vegetation threatens to damage concrete curbs and medians, and will inevitably clog storm drains. The state can do better.

Mowing is one of the quickest and easiest ways for states to cut back when they need money for other things.

In New York, maybe, but Kentucky bids them out on an annual basis. And a few years ago when faced with a budget shortfall, Kentucky reduced the number of cycles in the existing contract by one (either from five to four, or four to three, I can't really remember).

Kentucky bids out mowing on the interstates, parkways, and other major roads with big ROW areas. The majority of the other roads are mowed as needed by the county crews, with a few exceptions. (In my 10-county area, I know Breathitt County's state roads are mowed by contractors, and I think one of the other counties as well.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Fairfax moves toward renaming major highways that honor Confederate generals

QuoteThe Fairfax County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday appointed a task force to recommend new names for Lee Highway and Lee Jackson Memorial Highway, part of a broader reckoning over Virginia's veneration of the Civil War.

QuoteThe 30-member task force is expected to begin meeting by August to discuss what to call two of the county's largest thoroughfares, a process that would require residents and businesses along those highways to change their mailing addresses.

QuoteLee Highway is named for Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and Lee Jackson Memorial Highway is named after Lee and Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson.

QuoteAmid calls for greater racial and social equity in Virginia, county officials said the two names are not compatible with the community's values.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AlexandriaVA

Without commenting on this particular debate, I've often wondered about the issue of naming roads after people/events and what it means for the future.

For instance, I would argue that the vast and overwhelming majority of Northern VA residents have zero connection to antebellum Virginia. I know speaking for myself personally, that my roots in the country only started in the early 1900s.

So why pick 1860s figures as the basis for road-naming? Why not 1760s, or 1960s?

My own opposition for road renaming usually stems from technical reasons more than anything else...if people are used to "XXX highway", then there's a negative impact (at least for the short-term) in re-naming. On the other hand, I couldn't care less if some second-rate confederate general wasn't honored anymore.

1995hoo

As a practical matter, my observation has been that use of the road names for the major arterials like those has decreased substantially over the last 40 years, even well-prior to the current political climate. I've long figured that part of it has to do with how some roads regularly change names. US-29, for example, which is the main route to bear the Lee Highway name, is named Washington Street in Falls Church, and US-50, which is Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway from Fairfax City west for some distance, is named Lee Highway where it runs concurrently with US-29 in Fairfax City and Arlington Boulevard from Fairfax Circle east to the Roosevelt Bridge. (Their concurrency in Fairfax City is also posted as "Fairfax Boulevard," though it's never been clear to me whether the city formally renamed it or whether it's an honorific name.) VA-236 is similar–in Fairfax City it's Main Street, in Fairfax County it's Little River Turnpike, and in the City of Alexandria it's Duke Street. In all these cases, I've noticed a major decline in usage of the names, and I've long thought that part of the reason is that it simplifies things–you don't have to think about what the road name is at any given point if you just give someone the number. (But, with all that said, I'm certainly aware that Van Dorn Street is always called by its name, never its numbers–it has two different numbers–and I wonder when it will be renamed, given that it's named for Confederate General Earl Van Dorn, although I don't think that's generally known.)

I find myself wondering how many people are actually looking at the street signs with the generals' names on them so as to claim to be offended by street names you just plain don't hear being used all that often anymore. I also wonder how much of a financial burden is being foisted on the residents and businesses located along those roads, especially Lee Highway due to its length. I suppose in theory it might be less of a nuisance these days than it would have been 30 years ago when you had to change your listing in the Yellow Pages.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

WillWeaverRVA

VDOT has released its 2020 traffic data. There is a disclaimer about COVID-19 having an adverse effect on traffic counts.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

kernals12

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 16, 2021, 11:23:06 AM
VDOT has released its 2020 traffic data. There is a disclaimer about COVID-19 having an adverse effect on traffic counts.

No shit

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 16, 2021, 10:23:27 AM
As a practical matter, my observation has been that use of the road names for the major arterials like those has decreased substantially over the last 40 years, even well-prior to the current political climate. I've long figured that part of it has to do with how some roads regularly change names. US-29, for example, which is the main route to bear the Lee Highway name, is named Washington Street in Falls Church, and US-50, which is Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway from Fairfax City west for some distance, is named Lee Highway where it runs concurrently with US-29 in Fairfax City and Arlington Boulevard from Fairfax Circle east to the Roosevelt Bridge. (Their concurrency in Fairfax City is also posted as "Fairfax Boulevard," though it's never been clear to me whether the city formally renamed it or whether it's an honorific name.) VA-236 is similar–in Fairfax City it's Main Street, in Fairfax County it's Little River Turnpike, and in the City of Alexandria it's Duke Street. In all these cases, I've noticed a major decline in usage of the names, and I've long thought that part of the reason is that it simplifies things–you don't have to think about what the road name is at any given point if you just give someone the number. (But, with all that said, I'm certainly aware that Van Dorn Street is always called by its name, never its numbers–it has two different numbers–and I wonder when it will be renamed, given that it's named for Confederate General Earl Van Dorn, although I don't think that's generally known.)

I find myself wondering how many people are actually looking at the street signs with the generals' names on them so as to claim to be offended by street names you just plain don't hear being used all that often anymore. I also wonder how much of a financial burden is being foisted on the residents and businesses located along those roads, especially Lee Highway due to its length. I suppose in theory it might be less of a nuisance these days than it would have been 30 years ago when you had to change your listing in the Yellow Pages.

You probably are aware of this, but I'll note that the Postal Service supposedly guarantees mail service in perpetuity to the old street names (i.e. Jefferson Davis Highway -> Richmond Highway).

For what it's worth, I looked up Quantrell, of Quantrell Avenue. First of all, the road is misspelled (assuming it was named for him). It's Williams Quantrill, with an "i'. Second of all, he was a uniquely bad dude (raids on civilians in the western territories), but that's mostly a matter for historians to decide.

For better or worse, I suppose this is why you get bland "Deer Meadow Lane" names in newer suburban developments out in Loudoun County. The old joke I've heard is that you take whatever animal was killed, or trees felled, in order to make room for the housing development. Zero controversy.

kernals12

Why do Byrds suddenly disappear from the names of highways?

AlexandriaVA

this sounds like the setup for a joke punchline...

hbelkins

Quote from: kernals12 on July 16, 2021, 12:36:45 PM

Just like me, they long to be, far from you!

(Showing my age by quoting that Carpenters tune from the 70s.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 16, 2021, 12:29:26 PM
You probably are aware of this, but I'll note that the Postal Service supposedly guarantees mail service in perpetuity to the old street names (i.e. Jefferson Davis Highway -> Richmond Highway).

For what it's worth, I looked up Quantrell, of Quantrell Avenue. First of all, the road is misspelled (assuming it was named for him). It's Williams Quantrill, with an "i'. Second of all, he was a uniquely bad dude (raids on civilians in the western territories), but that's mostly a matter for historians to decide.

For better or worse, I suppose this is why you get bland "Deer Meadow Lane" names in newer suburban developments out in Loudoun County. The old joke I've heard is that you take whatever animal was killed, or trees felled, in order to make room for the housing development. Zero controversy.

Regarding the mail delivery, I didn't know that. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Regarding your final point: There's a community of single-family houses on Route 236 in Fairfax City just west of W.T. Woodson High School that's called "Maple Trace." I remember when they built it because I went to high school at Woodson and grew up a short distance east of there. When the neighborhood was under construction, my mom said they chose the name because of how developers now begin by ripping out all the trees, no matter how old or stately they may be, which means "there's no TRACE of a MAPLE."

AlexandriaVA

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/05/15/state-transportation-officials-approve-jefferson-davis-highway-renaming/

Quote"No street numbers will be changed, and the United States Postal Service will, in perpetuity, continue to deliver mail to the businesses and residences along the highway addressed to Jefferson Davis Highway,"  an April county press release on the name change read.

1995hoo

Thanks. In fairness to me, that article is dated two years ago. I may have read it then (I don't remember whether I did), but it would hardly be a surprise if I didn't remember what it said.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on July 16, 2021, 01:55:29 PM

On the day that you were born the angles got together
and decided to make a hypotenuse come through...

Bitmapped

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 11, 2021, 04:53:34 PM

VDOT districts do the mowing contracts and at least one does them as annual renewals. The 2019 RFP I saw does say twice monthly for mowing. 

Mowing has definitely slowed down over the years in Virginia. If I were to guess I would say it was deliberately done the same time rest areas were temporarily shuttered and not returned to a normal schedule when the economy got better.

A lot of states cut back on mowing during/after the Great Recession. PennDOT cut back how much they were mowing and how often. It quickly got noticeable. They also curtailed picking up deer carcasses that weren't actually on the roadway itself.

I recall VDOT put out a slideshow at one point about their changes with modifications to the planned mowing cycle. Some minor roads were going to a mowing cycle of every 4 years.

West Virginia uses in-house crews for mowing and never changed their mowing schedule. Frankly, I wish they'd lengthen cycles between mowing and cut back on mowing away from the roadway. The crews could be better used doing pothole patching and other maintenance activities rather than trying to keep everything neat.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 16, 2021, 03:32:47 PM

Oh God, I read this and worried that the Hypotenuse guy had come to Virginia...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Dirt Roads

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 18, 2021, 12:12:18 PM

He left a long time ago (I-81).

1995hoo

Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 18, 2021, 02:46:50 PM

He was so much older then, he's younger than that now.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 16, 2021, 10:23:27 AM
As a practical matter, my observation has been that use of the road names for the major arterials like those has decreased substantially over the last 40 years, even well-prior to the current political climate. I've long figured that part of it has to do with how some roads regularly change names. US-29, for example, which is the main route to bear the Lee Highway name, is named Washington Street in Falls Church, and US-50, which is Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway from Fairfax City west for some distance, is named Lee Highway where it runs concurrently with US-29 in Fairfax City and Arlington Boulevard from Fairfax Circle east to the Roosevelt Bridge. (Their concurrency in Fairfax City is also posted as "Fairfax Boulevard," though it's never been clear to me whether the city formally renamed it or whether it's an honorific name.) VA-236 is similar–in Fairfax City it's Main Street, in Fairfax County it's Little River Turnpike, and in the City of Alexandria it's Duke Street. In all these cases,

I agree with all of the above. Well-stated. 

But allow me to throw a fly or two in the ointment.

Traffic reports on stations like WTOP (and formerly WAMU) are regional in nature.  Three of the U.S. routes in the region can be found in the Commonwealth of Virginia, in Maryland and in the District of Columbia (in most cases in D.C. the name is used and not the route number). There are a few others like that, such as MD-650 (mostly New Hampshire Avenue) in Prince George's County and Montgomery County and VA-650 (Gallows Road) in Fairfax County; MD-193 (University Boulevard, Greenbelt Road, Glenn Dale Boulevard,  Enterprise Road, and finally Watkins Park Drive in Montgomery County and Prince George's County) and VA-193 (Georgetown Pike) also in Fairfax County. 

And there is sometimes confusion between Georgetown Pike in Fairfax County and MD-187 (Old Georgetown Road) in Montgomery County. 

Finally, we have VA-234 in Prince William County (Dumfries Road, Prince William Parkway, I-66 and Sudley Road) and MD-234 in Charles and St. Mary's Counties (Budd's Creek Road) - MD-234 having been the scene of some terrible head-on fatal wrecks and is one of the few two lane arterial highways in Maryland with a posted limit of 55 MPH.  Only with Charles County having become a real suburb of D.C. and Northern Virginia has  MD-234 become important enough to include in this discussion.

Then we have U.S. 15 at the western edge of the region and U.S. 301 at the eastern and southeastern edge.

For all of these, a traffic reporter needs to provide the route number and the name of the road or the county it is in to tell listeners which road is being discussed (example: "on U.S. 15 in the Lucketts area of Loudoun County a serious crash has the road completely shut down in both directions for the investigation").
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 18, 2021, 05:45:47 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 18, 2021, 02:46:50 PM

He was so much older then, he's younger than that now.

And now we've made Byrds reappear...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 18, 2021, 09:28:31 PM

I doubt that Harry Flood Byrd Jr. and Harry Flood Byrd Sr. were ever Eight Miles High.  Harry Sr. died the year that this track came out (1966).

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 18, 2021, 09:37:06 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 18, 2021, 09:28:31 PM

I doubt that Harry Flood Byrd Jr. and Harry Flood Byrd Sr. were ever Eight Miles High.  Harry Sr. died the year that this track came out (1966).

Agreed...but they might well have faded into their own parade...

Though I know that evening's empire has returned into sand

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 18, 2021, 09:43:48 PM
Agreed...but they might well have faded into their own parade...

Though I know that evening's empire has returned into sand

You know those lyrics better than I!

I do wonder if by 1966, Harry Sr. (who retired in 1965 - his son Harry Jr. was appointed to replace him in the U.S. Senate) realized that the end was near for his "Organization" (also known as the Byrd Machine), and the election of a liberal Republican,  A. Linwood Holton Jr. in 1969 was a dagger in the heart of the Organization.

In spite of all of the above, Harry Jr. served in the U.S. Senate until 1983 when he retired on his own terms.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.