News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on December 20, 2013, 10:32:35 PM
The key will be to see what VDOT's 2013 Roadway Center Line shapefiles look like, once they're available.

Is that available for download, or do you still have to ask VDOT for a CD-ROM or DVD?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

dfnva

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 18, 2013, 10:36:57 AM
Quote from: dfnva on December 16, 2013, 08:49:14 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 12, 2013, 09:38:52 PM

I've wonder why VDOT has some sort of aversion to posting SR-789 on BGS's for Commerce St and Loisdale Rd.   

I was thinking about this comment further and I wonder if in this particular situation it might be due in part to the way the street names are arranged on the sign. You can reach Frontier Drive, which is past the Commerce/Loisdale intersection, from either lane, although ultimately you'll have to move to the right after you pass the first light because Frontier is a right turn. But you have to be in the left lane to access Commerce and you have to be in the right lane to access Loisdale. So in theory, using this particular arrangement of names, you'd presumably need the 789 marker twice with a 2677 marker in between them (for Frontier), or if you wanted to put those markers directly next to the street names they'd have to be pretty small. I wonder if that sort of number duplication or small marker size might just confuse people unnecessarily in a situation where nobody uses the number anyway.

That's a good point -- I find VDOT's rhyme and reason for posting route numbers is inconsistent.  Before the early 1990s, there was no shield for SR-617 at what is now Exit 166 (before it became the Fairfax County Pkwy) -- the BGS just said "Fort Belvoir / Newington." There still are no shields for VA-420 or VA-402 on I-395 at exits 4 and 6, respectively.  Yet, other cases, there are useless routes posted on BGS's (SR-7700 on the BGS for Fairlakes Pkwy comes to mind as well as the F-routes shown a few posts higher).  I think VDOT would do well to post significant secondary routes in shields on BGS's and trailblazers but insignificant ones would be fine not being posted on BGS's and only on white rectangles (LWS's) at intersections ala 4-digit routes in PA. 

froggie

QuoteIs that available for download, or do you still have to ask VDOT for a CD-ROM or DVD?

Been available for at least 4 years on the Virginia GIS clearinghouse website (don't recall the specific site offhand).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on December 22, 2013, 04:35:25 PM
QuoteIs that available for download, or do you still have to ask VDOT for a CD-ROM or DVD?

Been available for at least 4 years on the Virginia GIS clearinghouse website (don't recall the specific site offhand).

Thanks.  I will see if I can track it down.  Funny that I had never heard of those files being available (we use Navteq at the office). 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Quote from: froggie on December 20, 2013, 08:09:22 AM
Last time I was over that way (pre-deployment), it was still under construction.  However, since Virginia has not submitted a routing change to AASHTO, nor has their internal documentation noted any differences, it's safe to say that US 58 still follows Lasking Rd and ends at the Laskin Rd/Pacific Ave intersection.
I'm in Virginia Beach now, and was at the area in question earlier. No signage of any kind, of course, but it's finished now.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

WAMU piece on a George Mason University study that suggests more lanes on I-95 will not work in the long-run.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on January 02, 2014, 12:26:23 PM
WAMU piece on a George Mason University study that suggests more lanes on I-95 will not work in the long-run.

But as you know, many of the worst days of congestion on I-95 correlated with heavy "through" trips, which are not going to be impacted either way by the suggestions made in the WAMU story.

jeffandnicole

Too often, they determine a widening project will be a failure if any congestion continues.  During the peak periods, of course congestion will continue.  But during those off peak periods when congestion isn't expected, that's where the biggest improvement will come.  Or during an accident, or construction, when more lanes will be available to get traffic thru.  Or even the total length of the congested period - if today's congestion is 3 hours in length, and future congestion will be only 90 minutes in length, that's still an improvement.

Yes, we all know it's going to be congested at 7:30am weekdays going to work, and 4:30pm weekdays leaving work.  But if it can be congested from 7am to 8:30am, rather than 6am till well after 9am, then the widening project has worked.

cpzilliacus

froggie

Speaking of the tunnel tolls, several local news outlets are reporting this afternoon that the CTB unanimously approved lower toll rates for the Downtown and Midtown Tunnels here in Norfolk for the next few years.  They'll start next month at $0.75 off-peak/$1 peak, and raise $0.25 each year for the next two years.  The original toll rates...$1.59 off-peak/$1.84 peak...will go into effect New Year's Day 2017.  The 2014 rates are confirmed on the Elizabeth River Tunnel website.

Peak is defined as 5:30-9am and 2:30-7pm weekdays.

They're reporting that the cost of this will be $82.5 million (though WAVY-10 is reporting it as $86 million).  WTKR reports that they'll use use leftover money from past projects to pay for the change.

Both Pilot Online and WTKR also note that truck tolls will also drop, to $2.25 off-peak/$4 peak.

Lastly, these are all the EZPass rates.  "Pay-by-plate/pre-paid" drivers who are registered pay $0.75 more, while non-EZPass/non-registered drivers will pay $1.50 more.

Thing 342

I-64 Widening in Newport News Approved - WAVY-10

Quote from: WAVY-10NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) - The Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization Board unanimously approved funding Thursday to widen a stretch of Interstate 64 in Newport News.

The HRTPO Board allocated $44 million from the Hampton Roads Transportation Fund to widen I-64 from the Jefferson Avenue exit to just east of Yorktown Road.

The vote is the first time HRTF money generated from the HB2313 has been used, and the HRTPO Board says it will fast-track the project.

The General Assembly passed the HB2313, a transportation funding package, in July. It provides $200 million per year in additional transportation funds for Hampton Roads. The HRTPO Board is in charge of selecting which transportation projects get the HB2313 money.

This should have been done decades ago IMO.   

froggie

I'd noticed the I-64 widening while perusing VDOT's Hampton Roads projects page a few days ago.  Agree that it's long overdue, but I also noticed that it's a "downgrade" from previous plans, which had previously called for adding 2 lanes each way between Jefferson Ave and Williamsburg (one HOV, one general-purpose in each direction).

Comparing the VDOT page to the news reports, sounds like there have been a few changes.  For starters, only going to VA 238/Yorktown Rd instead of to Williamsburg (though it's plausible that going to Yorktown Rd is the first stage in what will be a multi-stage project), and starting in 2016 vice 2017.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on January 17, 2014, 07:23:59 AM
I'd noticed the I-64 widening while perusing VDOT's Hampton Roads projects page a few days ago.  Agree that it's long overdue, but I also noticed that it's a "downgrade" from previous plans, which had previously called for adding 2 lanes each way between Jefferson Ave and Williamsburg (one HOV, one general-purpose in each direction).

There's also the elephant in the room when we discuss I-64 in Hampton Roads - the undersized HRBT.  Quite a few years ago, there was a PPTA proposal to (re)toll the HRBT and the MMBT (I-664), but I have not heard anything about them for a while.

Comparing the VDOT page to the news reports, sounds like there have been a few changes.  For starters, only going to VA 238/Yorktown Rd instead of to Williamsburg (though it's plausible that going to Yorktown Rd is the first stage in what will be a multi-stage project), and starting in 2016 vice 2017.

At least some of that increased tax revenue from the McDonnell Administration appears to be starting to flow.

Thing 342

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 17, 2014, 10:22:39 AM

There's also the elephant in the room when we discuss I-64 in Hampton Roads - the undersized HRBT.  Quite a few years ago, there was a PPTA proposal to (re)toll the HRBT and the MMBT (I-664), but I have not heard anything about them for a while.

Based on the way people reacted to the I-264/US-58 tunnel tolling, (raising Cain over a 2$ toll) this will never happen.
----
IMO, only adding one lane each way is a huge mistake, especially if there's some sort of evacuation.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 17, 2014, 10:32:45 AM
Based on the way people reacted to the I-264/US-58 tunnel tolling, (raising Cain over a 2$ toll) this will never happen.
----
IMO, only adding one lane each way is a huge mistake, especially if there's some sort of evacuation.

When people complain about highway congestion, there are several alternatives:

(1) Do nothing, and "toll" drivers by wasting their time and their fuel;
(2) Increase motor fuel taxes to fund at least some improvements;
(3) Impose tolls to fund improvements, even if the tolls do not vary by time-of-day;
(4) Impose tolls to fund improvements, and vary them when needed to manage demand.

What is not an option is to demand improvements without a way to pay for them.

Why are you opposed to just adding one lane each way at the HRBT?

Thing 342

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 17, 2014, 11:23:32 AM
Quote from: Thing 342 on January 17, 2014, 10:32:45 AM
----

When people complain about highway congestion, there are several alternatives:

(1) Do nothing, and "toll" drivers by wasting their time and their fuel;
(2) Increase motor fuel taxes to fund at least some improvements;
(3) Impose tolls to fund improvements, even if the tolls do not vary by time-of-day;
(4) Impose tolls to fund improvements, and vary them when needed to manage demand.

What is not an option is to demand improvements without a way to pay for them.

Why are you opposed to just adding one lane each way at the HRBT?
I am in favor of expanding and tolling the Bridge-Tunnels. However, the way people raised Hell over a $2 toll on roads that had previously been tolled leads me to believe that any bill that tolls the Bridge-Tunnels will be DOA.

As for the comment about adding only one lane being a mistake, I was referring to the widening of I-64 in Newport News. I probably should have been more clear.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post:  King Street [Va. 7 in the City of Alexandria] bike lanes bother residents who will lose street parking along busy route

QuoteAll it takes to understand the volume of traffic on Alexandria's King Street is to walk west of the Metrorail station and stand a few minutes on the curb.

QuoteCars, trucks, buses and highway-bound semis accelerate up the slope toward Janneys Lane. Another mixed fleet, which sometimes includes emergency vehicles, barrels downhill toward Old Town. About 12,750 vehicles per day use the 30-foot-wide street, at speeds averaging about 34 mph, despite the 25 mph speed limit.

QuotePedestrians, separated from traffic by only a curb and, in some places, parked cars, walk warily along the sidewalks on both sides of the street. An occasional bicyclist – either 12 or 24 per day, depending upon whom you ask – will risk the ride.

QuoteThe city of Alexandria, in what it says is an attempt to improve safety for drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists, plans to remove 27 of the 37 on-street parking spots in front of those King Street homes to make way for bike lanes for seven-tenths of a mile.

mtfallsmikey

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Options on I-66: Toll lanes, extending Metro discussed at meeting

QuoteAt the first of two public meetings to update commuters on I-66, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) told drivers about options such as adding general-purpose lanes, adding toll lanes and transit options such as extending Metro, VRE or light rail.

QuoteLate last year, 19 companies responded to a VDOT request for information on how to ease congestion on I-66, and each touted the benefits that toll lanes would bring to the corridor from the Beltway out to Haymarket.

QuoteThe 495 Express Lanes were the first major experiment in Northern Virginia into the toll-lanes concept, with more such lanes opening in early 2015 on I-95 between Stafford and Alexandria.

1995hoo

The Van Dorn—Franconia interchange is a waste unless they can first uncork the backup a short distance to the north between the Beltway interchange and Pickett Street. The interchange would send Van Dorn under Franconia (the traffic light would be on Franconia) and all it would accomplish is making it easier to reach the backup further north. In other words, the light at that intersection is not the problem. The intersection does have other issues mainly attributable to bad behavior by drivers (no advance notice on southbound Van Dorn that the left lane becomes left-turn-only, so lots of people try to shove right at the last second; people trying to turn right from the left lanes; etc.), but driver behavior issues aren't necessarily a reason for a full rebuild.

The real problem is that the City of Alexandria is unwilling to consider a number of needed improvements on their segment (a dedicated right-turn lane northbound at Pickett Street so that thru traffic need not slow down for turning traffic; closing off the southbound left turn at Eisenhower in favor of the loop-around via Metro Road so as to allow more green time for northbound thru traffic). Part of that is no doubt an attitude of "why should we help people driving from Fairfax County."

We live near the first light south of Franconia Road. It's not unusual during the morning rush hour for Van Dorn to be backed up from Pickett Street to beyond that light near our neighborhood. Even though that's only about three miles, it can take half an hour or more to drive it. You don't solve that sort of thing with an interchange at the southern part of the backup.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 31, 2014, 09:25:00 AM
We live near the first light south of Franconia Road. It's not unusual during the morning rush hour for Van Dorn to be backed up from Pickett Street to beyond that light near our neighborhood. Even though that's only about three miles, it can take half an hour or more to drive it. You don't solve that sort of thing with an interchange at the southern part of the backup.

I am quite familiar with both streets, and I agree that the interchange will not provide a lot of congestion relief during peak demand periods, but it may make a difference at other times.

One thing I do not know is if there are a lot of wrecks in that intersection.  If there is a history of wrecks (especially with injuries), then the grade separation may be a worthy investment anyway.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 31, 2014, 10:16:56 AM

One thing I do not know is if there are a lot of wrecks in that intersection.  If there is a history of wrecks (especially with injuries), then the grade separation may be a worthy investment anyway.

Not really, which is kind of a surprise with a high school adjacent to it. There are wrecks south of the intersection where the high school has a mid-block entrance/exit, but the wrecks there are mainly due to irresponsible driving and not to anything to do with the intersection.

froggie

hoo has a good point about the signal at Van Dorn and Eisenhower.  But this streetview image should highlight the problems with trying to shoehorn in a right turn lane at Pickett St.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on January 31, 2014, 11:05:52 AM
hoo has a good point about the signal at Van Dorn and Eisenhower.  But this streetview image should highlight the problems with trying to shoehorn in a right turn lane at Pickett St.

Oh, no question. Absolutely it would be difficult and I didn't mean to imply it was as simple as just adding a lane, though as I re-read my post I can see why it might have come across that way. I daresay, however, that the new condos going up on that corner are just going to exacerbate an already very bad situation.

Of course, today the problem on Van Dorn is the Mr. Wash queue spilling out into the street and through the intersection at Edsall!

cpzilliacus

Richmond Times-Dispatch: Legislation would let Chesterfield maintain its own roads

QuoteChesterfield County is seeking authority to maintain its own secondary road system at the same funding level that Virginia reimburses Henrico County for maintaining its road network.

QuoteSen. John Watkins, R-Powhatan, introduced Senate Bill 606 with the encouragement of Chesterfield leaders, even though the Board of Supervisors has not publicly discussed the idea as part of its legislative agenda.

Quote"The board has not formally discussed it and there has been no commitment to taking (the road system) over,"  said Chesterfield County Administrator James J.L. Stegmaier.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.