News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 12, 2022, 08:42:10 AM
Well, speaking as somebody who has driven I-95 in all of Virginia and more, I say I-95 needs an extra lane from Petersburg to Georgia. One problem with doing so is that it would force both the Virginia and North Carolina Welcome Centers further away from the road, and the entrances to both of them would start across the state lines. Or at least the entrance to the Virginia Welcome Center would.
I disagree, 95 south of Petersburg is perfectly fine.

Alps

Quote from: bluecountry on June 12, 2022, 10:06:25 AM
Well, speaking as somebody who has driven I-95 in all of Virginia and more, I say I-95 needs an extra lane from Petersburg to Georgia. One problem with doing so is that it would force both the Virginia and North Carolina Welcome Centers further away from the road, and the entrances to both of them would start across the state lines. Or at least the entrance to the Virginia Welcome Center would.
I disagree with your disagreement

froggie

It's too bad someone on this forum hasn't done an analysis of I-95.

Oh wait...

amroad17

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 12, 2022, 09:57:35 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 12, 2022, 09:01:20 AM
Well, Northampton County and the State of North Carolina would have to accept the extension from north of the border, but I don't think they'd be so uncooperative about that. It would still have to happen, because there's no room to do it any other way.

The I-95 NB Virginia Welcome Center entrance ramp already starts 0.1 miles south of the state line.
Also, both of the off ramps to the Welcome Centers on I-77 at the VA/NC line begin in the others' state.

Concerning the I-95 widening, it really needs to be widened from I-26 south to the Georgia line.  Traffic backups are a common occurrence in both directions of I-95--I should know as I have been through them while travelling to and from the Savannah area on visits to my in-laws, which I will do again this coming weekend.

I-95 from Petersburg to NC, I-81 throughout the Commonwealth, and I-64 east of Richmond all need to be widened to, at minimum, six lanes.  Expanding to six lanes has alleviated most of the congestion that used to plague I-75 and I-65 throughout Kentucky.  I am sure that the widening of I-64 has alleviated much of the congestion between Williamsburg and Hampton as sprjus4 has observed. 

I know that there are higher traffic counts on the above Interstates mentioned than on I-75 or I-65.  Because of where I live currently, I have not had the opportunity to travel these freeways in quite some time (15 years).  Even then, the need for widening was quite evident.  VDOT has worked on improving both I-95 and I-64 in sections, however, it seems that I-81 has been given the shaft as far as widening. 

Of course, to improve Interstate highways money is needed.  How much is available to complete the different needs?  :hmmm:  I guess these widenings will be completed when they get completed.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

VTGoose

Quote from: amroad17 on June 13, 2022, 12:27:04 AM
Concerning the I-95 widening, it really needs to be widened from I-26 south to the Georgia line.  Traffic backups are a common occurrence in both directions of I-95--I should know as I have been through them while travelling to and from the Savannah area on visits to my in-laws, which I will do again this coming weekend.

Been there, done that for the last seven years -- son, daughter-in-law, and now grandson lived in Apollo Beach, Fl. outside Tampa and just moved to St. Petersburg after a year and a half in Baton Rouge. I-95 in South Carolina (and I-26 to Columbia) is like I-64 is/was with two lanes full of drivers all trying to go different speeds (and none of them consistently, other than when standing still).

QuoteI know that there are higher traffic counts on the above Interstates mentioned than on I-75 or I-65.  Because of where I live currently, I have not had the opportunity to travel these freeways in quite some time (15 years).  Even then, the need for widening was quite evident.  VDOT has worked on improving both I-95 and I-64 in sections, however, it seems that I-81 has been given the shaft as far as widening. 

Of course, to improve Interstate highways money is needed.  How much is available to complete the different needs?  :hmmm:  I guess these widenings will be completed when they get completed.

The Northam administration finally recognized that something needed to be done to I-81, so those counties and cities that are along the corridor are paying a few more cents in gas tax, with the money going specifically to improvements. Additional lanes are being added (a bit piecemeal, but in identified problem areas), acceleration/deceleration lanes are being extended, signage is being upgraded/increased, and other projects are on the list of fixes. It will take a while but the work has been needed for years. See https://www.improve81.org

From the overview on that site:

"As a critical north-south backbone of the East Coast's freight network, the I-81 corridor is vital to the efficient movement of goods through Virginia. More than one-third of all trucks and nearly 50% of the state's value of goods are transported along the 325-mile corridor. I-81 has the highest per capita truck volume in Virginia.

Within Virginia, I-81 connects 30 colleges and universities, 21 cities and towns and 13 counties, and parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway making this program critical to supporting job growth and economic vitality while reducing congestion, enhancing safety and reliability, and improving quality of life for everyone in our region."

Does bluecountry have companion data to back up his obsession with NOVA and I-95 or does he just blow smoke?

Bruce in Blacksburg (the important part of Virginia)
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

1995hoo

Quote from: VPIGoose on June 13, 2022, 10:54:19 AM

Does bluecountry have companion data to back up his obsession with NOVA and I-95 or does he just blow smoke?

Check out his comments about the New Jersey Turnpike elsewhere on the forum. He's one of those people who digs in his heels and acts as though his opinion is fact and anyone who dares disagree is uninformed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Avalanchez71

95 is fine without the extra lanes.

VTGoose

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 13, 2022, 10:58:11 AM
Check out his comments about the New Jersey Turnpike elsewhere on the forum. He's one of those people who digs in his heels and acts as though his opinion is fact and anyone who dares disagree is uninformed.

The reincarnation of Scott Kozel. Didn't matter if you saw something in person or had direct personal knowledge of something, if it didn't fit his world-space it didn't matter. He (and a couple of others) were responsible for days of flame wars on misc.transport.road.

Rothman

Quote from: VTGoose on June 14, 2022, 09:07:34 AM

The reincarnation of Scott Kozel. Didn't matter if you saw something in person or had direct personal knowledge of something, if it didn't fit his world-space it didn't matter. He (and a couple of others) were responsible for days of flame wars on misc.transport.road.
Kozel's gotta Kozel.  We like him anyway. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: VTGoose on June 14, 2022, 09:07:34 AM

You can find some of his arguments with sprjus4 here on this forum. I will readily concede that Kozel is quite knowledgeable about Virginia highways and transportation and that his website contains a lot of useful research (it would be nice if he were to update it, but perhaps his interests have moved elsewhere, he doesn't have time, or he no longer has access to relevant sources). On the other hand, he's certainly one of the more "stubborn" (to be polite) forum members over the years.

Notwithstanding how he can dig in his heels, I'd rather have a discussion with him than with certain other more recent forum members who also dig in their heels, and the main reason is that Kozel is at least generally a somewhat rational fellow when it comes to things like road proposals and the like–he recognizes when a fictional idea doesn't have a kernel of truth and he would not insist that such ideas be treated as factual. But I understand he stopped posting because of disagreements with the moderators.

bluecountry

Quote from: Alps on June 12, 2022, 07:14:39 PM
I disagree with your disagreement

Data says otherwise.  That section is cruise control all the way.

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 13, 2022, 11:20:21 PM

95 is fine without the extra lanes.
Good call.

bluecountry

Quote from: VTGoose on June 13, 2022, 10:54:19 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on June 13, 2022, 12:27:04 AM

Been there, done that for the last seven years -- son, daughter-in-law, and now grandson lived in Apollo Beach, Fl. outside Tampa and just moved to St. Petersburg after a year and a half in Baton Rouge. I-95 in South Carolina (and I-26 to Columbia) is like I-64 is/was with two lanes full of drivers all trying to go different speeds (and none of them consistently, other than when standing still).

QuoteI know that there are higher traffic counts on the above Interstates mentioned than on I-75 or I-65.  Because of where I live currently, I have not had the opportunity to travel these freeways in quite some time (15 years).  Even then, the need for widening was quite evident.  VDOT has worked on improving both I-95 and I-64 in sections, however, it seems that I-81 has been given the shaft as far as widening. 

The Northam administration finally recognized that something needed to be done to I-81, so those counties and cities that are along the corridor are paying a few more cents in gas tax, with the money going specifically to improvements. Additional lanes are being added (a bit piecemeal, but in identified problem areas), acceleration/deceleration lanes are being extended, signage is being upgraded/increased, and other projects are on the list of fixes. It will take a while but the work has been needed for years. See https://www.improve81.org

From the overview on that site:

"As a critical north-south backbone of the East Coast's freight network, the I-81 corridor is vital to the efficient movement of goods through Virginia. More than one-third of all trucks and nearly 50% of the state's value of goods are transported along the 325-mile corridor. I-81 has the highest per capita truck volume in Virginia.

Within Virginia, I-81 connects 30 colleges and universities, 21 cities and towns and 13 counties, and parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway making this program critical to supporting job growth and economic vitality while reducing congestion, enhancing safety and reliability, and improving quality of life for everyone in our region."

Bruce in Blacksburg (the important part of Virginia)
I have lived/been in the area for 30 years.  I see it daily with my own car, and on google maps.
IT NEEDS TO BE BI-DIRECTIONAL HOT - 3 lanes to 234 and 2 to 17 both ways AND 4 GP lanes from 234 to beltway.

Nobody said 81 didn't matter but 95 matters far far far far far far far more and everybody but a ROVA with a Napoleon complex knows.

bluecountry

Wrong.  I drive the NJTP monthly, I NEVER have issues or delays in South Jersey aside from the occasional back-up at exit 4.  Oh sure, I can be at 65 mph vs 85 but that is NOT cause for construction, that's free flowing.

froggie

^^ On the flip side, one could argue that from a freight perspective, I-81 is more important than I-95 by a noticeable factor.  The data disagrees with you here, bluecountry.

1995hoo

Quote from: bluecountry on June 14, 2022, 10:28:19 AM

Wrong.  I drive the NJTP monthly, I NEVER have issues or delays in South Jersey aside from the occasional back-up at exit 4.  Oh sure, I can be at 65 mph vs 85 but that is NOT cause for construction, that's free flowing.

You're the one who's wrong, in this context, because you're just further underscoring why the boldfaced text is correct.

bluecountry

Quote from: froggie on June 14, 2022, 10:30:35 AM
^^ On the flip side, one could argue that from a freight perspective, I-81 is more important than I-95 by a noticeable factor.  The data disagrees with you here, bluecountry.
No it doesn't, 95 has far more volume an delays and serves a much more populated local, regional, and long distance shed.
Moreover, many use 81 to avoid 95, if 95 were the way it should be then fewer would be on 81.

froggie

There are more perspectives to look at than just driving, bluecountry.  As the FHWA data I linked to shows, I-81 is more important than I-95 for freight.

And again, you prove the obstinence that others have pointed out in this thread.

hbelkins

Quote from: bluecountry on June 14, 2022, 10:34:17 AM
Moreover, many use 81 to avoid 95, if 95 were the way it should be then fewer would be on 81.

No they don't. I-81 is NOT an alternate route for I-95. It's too far out of the way and serves different places. If 95 is congested, you won't save any time and will spend more in gas trying to find a route over to 81 and then making your way back to 95.

The real alternative to 95 in that area is US 301. A secondary alternate is US 13 and the CBBT.

And this whole argument reeks of something I hate. The "haves" continue to benefit while the "have-nots" are ignored. There's been all kinds of money pumped in to work on 95 from Fredericksburg north to solve congestion issues. And here you are wanting to spend even more on that road when there are definite needs elsewhere, 81 being the most glaring of them. Keep throwing money at NOVA and I-95 and just let I-81 be a complete mess with micropassing trucks, short acceleration lanes, and all the other issues it has.

We get the same thing in Kentucky. All kinds of money being spent in Louisville and northern Kentucky and you can't even get to some places without going way out of your way, or taking a torturous two-lane mountain route. Draw a straight line from Harlan to Richmond or Lexington, and then look at what the best, most modern route is.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: bluecountry on June 14, 2022, 10:34:17 AM
many use 81 to avoid 95

This may be one of the most asinine things I've ever seen on this forum.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

Quote from: hbelkins on June 14, 2022, 11:35:36 AM
And this whole argument reeks of something I hate. The "haves" continue to benefit while the "have-nots" are ignored. There's been all kinds of money pumped in to work on 95 from Fredericksburg north to solve congestion issues. And here you are wanting to spend even more on that road when there are definite needs elsewhere, 81 being the most glaring of them. Keep throwing money at NOVA and I-95 and just let I-81 be a complete mess with micropassing trucks, short acceleration lanes, and all the other issues it has.

We get the same thing in Kentucky. All kinds of money being spent in Louisville and northern Kentucky and you can't even get to some places without going way out of your way, or taking a torturous two-lane mountain route. Draw a straight line from Harlan to Richmond or Lexington, and then look at what the best, most modern route is.

This kind of thinking can be dangerous, though, and it is often a catch-22.  Yes, the more rural areas certainly have needs, and the needs along I-81 have been well documented.  But on the flip side, the "haves" (as you put it) are often the economic engines that support the rest of the state...Fairfax County alone produces ~15% of state sales tax and ~20% of state income tax revenue for Virginia.  Traffic congestion can and does negatively impact that economic engine.

AlexandriaVA

Also, mountains don't vote.

Mapmikey

The only people I-81 in Virginia is a viable alternative to I-95 might be those who are in Columbia SC or Charlotte NC when they are deciding how to get to New York City or further north.

People who live in NOVA sometimes use I-81 to avoid I-95 but only from Harrisburg PA northward.  This is frequently floated by travel advisors during the holiday season.

Also remember that *some* of the disparity in road funding in NOVA (as well as Tidewater) comes from those regions self-funding extra stuff, which VDOT is obligated to spend on those areas.  As has been noted earlier, I-81 is now being addressed partly by self-funding along the I-81 corridor.

VTGoose

Quote from: froggie on June 14, 2022, 01:04:38 PM
This kind of thinking can be dangerous, though, and it is often a catch-22.  Yes, the more rural areas certainly have needs, and the needs along I-81 have been well documented.  But on the flip side, the "haves" (as you put it) are often the economic engines that support the rest of the state...Fairfax County alone produces ~15% of state sales tax and ~20% of state income tax revenue for Virginia.  Traffic congestion can and does negatively impact that economic engine.

I agree with this -- but . . .  The traffic congestion in NOVA can be reduced by increasing/improving alternative transportation -- the Metro -- trains and buses, VRE, increased carpooling, even pushing for increased work from home to reduce the need for people to commute. This really isn't possible in Southwest Virginia (to a point). Yes, there are daily buses running from this region to Washington, there is a daily Amtrak train from Roanoke to Washington and points beyond, multiple trips of the Smartway Bus between Roanoke and Blacksburg, and (until Gov. Youngkin screwed it up) telecommuting to various points and places that eased some congestion (I have colleagues who live in Roanoke and don't miss the daily commute to and from Blacksburg on I-81). But as the overview for the I-81 Improvement Project points out, "More than one-third of all trucks and nearly 50% of the state's value of goods are transported along the 325-mile corridor. I-81 has the highest per capita truck volume in Virginia." bluecountry doesn't want to accept that detail, he just relies on his own driving and Google maps. Good thing he isn't in charge.

Bruce in Blacksburg

NJRoadfan

If someone is coming from the west and wants to connect to one of the major cities in the Northeast Corridor, guess what highway they are going to take.... I-81. Granted I don't have experience with I-81 in VA, but I have driven the road further north in PA and its pretty damned busy. One of the highways that splits off and heads east with a bulk of the freight traffic is I-78 and nobody is going to say that isn't a busy/major trucking route!

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 14, 2022, 06:24:46 PM
If someone is coming from the west and wants to connect to one of the major cities in the Northeast Corridor, guess what highway they are going to take.... I-81. Granted I don't have experience with I-81 in VA, but I have driven the road further north in PA and its pretty damned busy. One of the highways that splits off and heads east with a bulk of the freight traffic is I-78 and nobody is going to say that isn't a busy/major trucking route!
And I'm also on this side. I'm not the only person I know who will use I-81 from NC to NJ/NY/New England (via 78-287 or 84) to avoid I-95.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.