News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

A Facebook group I'm in posted some photos of US 1 in Fredericksburg from the late 1940s, including the original version of the now-erroneous US 1 ALT signage just across the Falmouth Bridge. VA 51 is now VA 208, and the VA 218 mentioned on the sign in the third picture is now VA 212.

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

The 2nd picture reminds me of the sign that used to be on US 1/301 at Terminal Ave in Richmond telling drivers this is the way to bypass downtown, etc. (via VA 161)
Newark born, Richmond bred

Takumi

I honestly forgot that VA 30 ever went that far north.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on February 20, 2024, 02:03:16 PM
I honestly forgot that VA 30 ever went that far north.

The strange thing is it didn't. I posted the pictures in the wrong order - you can see the sign in the second picture in the first picture, but the VA 30 shield is gone. I think the idea was that Hampton Roads-bound traffic could use VA 2 to reach VA 30 (which ended at US 301/VA 2 in Dawn at the time).
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alps

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 20, 2024, 11:20:27 AM
A Facebook group I'm in posted some photos of US 1 in Fredericksburg from the late 1940s, including the original version of the now-erroneous US 1 ALT signage just across the Falmouth Bridge. VA 51 is now VA 208, and the VA 218 mentioned on the sign in the third picture is now VA 212.

please give these images their own home. in a museum. of sign images. <3

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Alps on February 20, 2024, 06:57:05 PM

please give these images their own home. in a museum. of sign images. <3

After finding these I might be checking out similar groups for other areas. I'd never seen the third one before.
Will Weaver

Mapmikey

There are hundreds of 1950s photos where those came from.

I should probably put together a then and now gallery.

sprjus4

This happened overnight Sunday night into Monday morning...

NEW SEGMENT OF EXPRESS LANES TO OPEN IN CHESAPEAKE
Quote CHESAPEAKE – Starting as early as overnight Sunday, Feb. 18, into Monday morning, Feb. 19, motorists can enjoy the benefits of a new third travel lane open on I-64 between the I-664/I-264 Bowers Hill interchange and the I-464 interchange in Chesapeake, constructed as part of the Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) I-64 Southside Widening and High Rise Bridge Expansion Project. 

These new lanes, combined with VDOT's recent conversion of the previous HOV-2 restricted lanes to Express Lanes between the I-464 and I-264 interchanges, establishes the new Hampton Roads Express Lanes Chesapeake Segment that will soon operate as high-occupancy tolled Express Lanes to help manage traffic flow and congestion on I-64 between the I-664/I-264 Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake and the I-264 interchange in Norfolk. 

Once these lanes open to traffic, all motorists—whether driving alone or with passengers—are invited to test drive the new Chesapeake Express Lanes toll-free for the next several weeks to familiarize themselves with navigating this new roadway and its multiple entrance and exit points along the corridor.

While final tolling systems testing and installation of remaining white delineator posts and pavement markings are underway, motorists may encounter additional lane closures during the daytime and overnight hours as needed. These closures ensure the safety of our crews while still allowing the region's motorists the benefit of earlier access to these new travel lanes as soon as possible outside of these closure periods.

Upon the start of Chesapeake's high-occupancy tolling operations, estimated to begin no earlier than March 17, motorists driving alone will now experience additional commuting choices. These solo drivers are now provided the option to choose the free general purpose lanes or pay a variable toll to use the Express Lanes with an E-ZPass transponder—an option not previously available to solo drivers under the former HOV-2 restrictions during peak travel periods. For vehicles with two or more passengers, the Express Lanes will remain free with a required E-ZPass Flex transponder switched to "HOV-On." Regardless of which lanes motorists choose, Express Lanes are designed to improve congestion and overall travel times for motorists in both the general purpose and Express Lanes.   

In addition to the Chesapeake Express Lanes operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the tolling operations schedule for the existing I-64 Norfolk Reversible Express Lanes, located between the I-264 and I-564 interchanges, will also transition to continuous high-occupancy tolling operations full-time as soon as the Chesapeake Express Lanes' tolling begins.

The Chesapeake and Norfolk Reversible Express Lanes will ultimately become a part of an overall continuous 45-mile Express Lanes network on I-64 from the Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake to Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News. As traffic demand continues to increase in the region, incorporating the high-occupancy tolling Express Lanes model provides an additional approach to managing congestion long-term and providing a more reliable travel network. 

For more information on the Hampton Roads Express Lanes network, operations, and to view an interactive map, visit www.64expresslanes.org/drive.
After nearly 6 years of construction, originally to be completed in 2021, one new HO/T lane is open to traffic between Bowers Hill (I-64 / I-664 / I-264 / US-58) and I-464 in either direction. For the next month or so, the lanes will be toll free. Beginning mid-March, tolling will be in effect 24/7, and will also become 24/7 in Norfolk in the reversible lanes which were never tolled outside of rush hour. This is a recent change silently made by VDOT, as the new lanes and existing lanes were originally to be 5-9am and 2-6pm tolling only. HOV vehicles with 2 or more passengers and an E-ZPass Flex transponder will be free.

The HOV lane in either direction between I-464 and I-264 in Norfolk has also been repurposed to a HO/T lane and is now divided by a double solid line (and will soon have flex posts installed). The speed limit on the general purpose lanes has been restored to 60 mph, and the express lane has a posted speed limit of 65 mph between either end of I-264.

74/171FAN

Looks like I am headed to Virginia this weekend!!
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 21, 2024, 06:09:45 AM
Looks like I am headed to Virginia this weekend!!

Cool!
Will Weaver

WillWeaverRVA

A couple more from another group, and originally from the Richmond Times-Dispatch and the News-Advance:

Westbound US 33/250 approaching US 1/301, early 1960s:

Southbound US 1/301 approaching US 33/250, 1959. US 33/250 is erroneously signed as VA 33/250:

VA 291 posted in Lynchburg, 1973:
Will Weaver

74/171FAN

I would rather have those beauties than debate about the east end of US 33.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 05, 2024, 08:58:55 PM
Picture shows on some of my devices but not others.

Here's the actual link to it:  http://www.vahighways.com/va-ends/old/old35y_st.jpg
That's the one.

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 05, 2024, 08:58:55 PM
The point where 301 slid over to use 95's footprint is at the median crossover on 95, per the 1958 aerial - https://maps.app.goo.gl/eywiGtEzyUdKZzz2A
Dammit, now you made me want to hit that section of 301!

Where is the site of the second pic today?

1995hoo

The second picture looks like it's a close-up of the background of the first picture—look at the left side of the road (from the camera viewpoint) on the far side of the intersection. This Street View link is as close as I can get to the original camera viewpoint seen above.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2024, 11:42:24 AM
The second picture looks like it's a close-up of the background of the first picture—look at the left side of the road (from the camera viewpoint) on the far side of the intersection. This Street View link is as close as I can get to the original camera viewpoint seen above.

Yeah, it's where that brick building is today on that GSV image.
Will Weaver

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/g9kYHXqXL59Z1sDB9
Speaking of Fredericksburg and Falmouth, I see this problematic intersection got expanded by removing all the corner buildings.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ssW84CrW6aCq7feU6

I always thought that one could never be remedied but the powers at be can do anything.

Although that signal was the worst with four phases due to lack of room to add proper turn lanes and creating backups across the bridge, eminent domain still seems too aggressive.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on February 21, 2024, 12:22:30 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/g9kYHXqXL59Z1sDB9
Speaking of Fredericksburg and Falmouth, I see this problematic intersection got expanded by removing all the corner buildings.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ssW84CrW6aCq7feU6

I always thought that one could never be remedied but the powers at be can do anything.

Although that signal was the worst with four phases due to lack of room to add proper turn lanes and creating backups across the bridge, eminent domain still seems too aggressive.

2 of the 3 businesses still exist in new locations within Fredericksburg.  The 4th corner had an abandoned bank that the Republican HQ was using at the time, the run-up to the 2012 election.

Note the first picture doesn't have a VA 30 shield on the billboard. The billboard was removed by 1962.

Here is a picture (1949) from the opposite direction, with a shield assembly erroneously implying US 17 continues north of here. - https://catalog.archives.gov/id/234116057

Plutonic Panda

^^^ wow that awesome. Night and day difference.

Hunty2022

I've also decided to look around for old road photos in the state.

This is US 29 getting widened from 2 lane undivided to 4 lane divided, somewhere near the current Rio Hill area looking south. That hill might be where the Rio Road interchange or Branchlands Blvd intersection is. This is from 1954:

Credit: VDOT.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 27, 2023, 11:11:39 AM
In regard to Travel Mapping, we discussed the odd situation with VA 244 last year (https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=4904.msg28175#msg28175).  I am unsure what would have been changed this year.

VDOT updated their LRS Route Master ArcGIS map today, and while I've only just started looking around for changes, I will note that the "orphaned" piece of VA 244 has been removed.

EDIT:

VA 460 has been added, as well - VA 80 has been truncated to end at VA 460, so it is no longer continuous with KY 80.

US 460 no longer appears to be on any part of County Dr or Wagner Rd in Petersburg...not sure if the US 460 BUSINESS there was truncated.

The Intermodal Connector in Norfolk has been added with the designation of "EXT I-564", so I guess it's not getting its own number.

VA 190 has been put onto Pembroke Blvd in Virginia Beach after North Witchduck Road was disconnected from it, even though Virginia Beach continues to sign VA 190 at Witchduck Road from VA 225.

US 60 has been truncated to the beginning of the Atlantic Ave loop in Virginia Beach - it no longer includes the loop (and the END US 60 signage on Pacific Ave/General Booth Blvd is still erroneous).

VA 399 in Richmond is still there even though it has been destroyed.

There is a brand new VA 410 in Powhatan County that serves Powhatan State Park. It branches off SR 617 and does not touch US 522.

EDIT 2:

VA 169 appears to have been truncated to VA 143 in Phoebus and no longer touches I-64.
Will Weaver

Mapmikey

Thanks for posting...

This does not seem to show route overlays, so i wouldn't call VA 80 truncated just yet.

Surprised about VA 410.  I thought i read somewhere the Beaumont facility was going to become part of the park eventually, so I thought VA 313 might get extended over there.  Spring 2023 GMSV has no postings.

Looks like they're treating the entire intermodal connector as just ramps from I-564.

The VA 169 truncation contradicts the 2019 action of the CTB on relinquishing VA 169 from US 258 to VA 351 - https://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2019/sep/reso/10.pdf

The relinquished portion of VA 237 between VA 120 and US 50 is shown as VA 237 still.

74/171FAN

QuoteUS 460 no longer appears to be on any part of County Dr or Wagner Rd in Petersburg...not sure if the US 460 BUSINESS there was truncated.

Nothing had changed in regard to signage when I visited my parents last month.

plain

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 22, 2024, 02:21:36 PM

US 460 no longer appears to be on any part of County Dr or Wagner Rd in Petersburg...not sure if the US 460 BUSINESS there was truncated.

This has to be an error on VDOT's part. Did they route US 460 to continue on I-95 to I-295 and then back north on that to pick it up at Exit 3? That doesn't make any sense.

74/171FAN

Quote from: plain on February 22, 2024, 04:42:31 PM

This has to be an error on VDOT's part. Did they route US 460 to continue on I-95 to I-295 and then back north on that to pick it up at Exit 3? That doesn't make any sense.

Actually I saw US 460 on County Dr in Petersburg.

plain

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 22, 2024, 04:45:05 PM
Quote from: plain on February 22, 2024, 04:42:31 PM

Actually I saw US 460 on County Dr in Petersburg.

I get that but if they did change something very recently, the signs probably just wasn't taken down yet. But I don't think anything changed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.