News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Bill seeks to raise US-31 speed limit

Started by theline, February 06, 2015, 06:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theline

State Rep. Timothy Harman, R-Bremen, is primary author of a bill to raise the speed limit on portions of US-31 to 70 MPH. That limit would be designated in the Kokomo and South Bend-Plymouth areas that have recently been improved to interstate standards. The limit on most of the affected area is currently 65, the maximum allowed on Hoosier limited-access roads that are not Interstates.

The bill would also increase the limit to 65 on the rural non-limited-access areas between Indy and South Bend, where the current limit is 60. The bill has bi-partisan support.

Here's a link to a South Bend Tribune story, though you may experience some pay-wall problems: http://goo.gl/EMfwDY

Quote"Basically, especially the part that's limited-access on 31, the speed limit should be 70 – people are going 75 anyway,"  [co-sponsoring Rep. B. Patrick] Bauer said. "It would save some time, no question about it, but it does put in practice what people are already doing."
. . .
Bauer said he did not believe the increased speed limits would create safety concerns. In fact, he said, it could help traffic to flow more smoothly, as speed currently varies widely between faster drivers and those who adhere strictly to the posted limits.

"It would be a smoother flow because most people do it, and some don't, so that causes some difficulty."

getemngo

It is strange to me when a state has a different maximum speed limit for Interstate and non-Interstate freeways. What's the point?

(Of course, I live in a state where until a few years ago, anything not a freeway was 55 or less, regardless of quality.)
~ Sam from Michigan

monty

I tend to agree that if a highway is built to an interstate standard (and the new segments of US 31 are) then 70 mph makes sense.  I'm okay with 65 mph between Kokomo and Plymouth where there are very few access points outside of county and state roads Plus the wide ROW with good sight lines.  I've driven US 35 Dayton - Ohio River and their new speed limits are similar to this proposal.  I'd love for the remaining Hamilton and Tipton County unimproved segment to be 65 mph for selfish purposes but there are so many residential driveways along this stretch and the ROW is tighter with poorer sight lines, along with more traffic, so I fear it may be a bit more dangerous.
monty

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: getemngo on February 06, 2015, 07:14:42 PM
It is strange to me when a state has a different maximum speed limit for Interstate and non-Interstate freeways. What's the point?

(Of course, I live in a state where until a few years ago, anything not a freeway was 55 or less, regardless of quality.)

Yeah. Minnesota only allows non-Interstates to go to 65 regardless of whether or not they are full freeway. Then again there aren't a lot of non-Interstate freeways outside the metro area (MN 101 and MN 610 could probably safely hold a 70), and I think any route with at-grades should remain 65 anyway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jnewkirk77

Quote from: getemngo on February 06, 2015, 07:14:42 PM

If I remember right, it goes back to how the federal law was written when the national limit was first raised to 65 in 1987. Interstates were the only roads allowed to go from 55 to 65 at that point - there was an additional law passed later (I think the same year?) that brought in some other non-Interstates. After the NMSL was repealed, states could set the limits as they wished, and Indiana has ... slowly.  Quite honestly, I don't see why all four-lane roads in the state aren't at least 65 in rural areas.  It's safe enough.

theline

^^ Back in the days before the national 55 MPH limit, Indiana allowed a 65 maximum on all open highways, even the 2-lane variety. I wouldn't advocate that, but 65 on rural divided highways makes a lot of sense.

I-39

The speed limit should for sure go up, but wait until the entire corridor from South Bend to Indianapolis is upgraded to freeway.

english si

Quote from: theline on February 06, 2015, 06:34:15 PMState Rep. Timothy Harman, R-Bremen, is primary author of a bill to raise the speed limit on portions of US-31 to 70 MPH. That limit would be designated in the Kokomo and South Bend-Plymouth areas that have recently been improved to interstate standards. The limit on most of the affected area is currently 65, the maximum allowed on Hoosier limited-access roads that are not Interstates.
Wouldn't it be easier to just go to AASHTO and ask for I-190 (and future I-67)?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: english si on February 10, 2015, 06:48:08 AM
Quote from: theline on February 06, 2015, 06:34:15 PMState Rep. Timothy Harman, R-Bremen, is primary author of a bill to raise the speed limit on portions of US-31 to 70 MPH. That limit would be designated in the Kokomo and South Bend-Plymouth areas that have recently been improved to interstate standards. The limit on most of the affected area is currently 65, the maximum allowed on Hoosier limited-access roads that are not Interstates.

I had never thought about designating US 31 between I-80/90 and US 30 as I-190 (or I-180).  That is an interesting idea.  I wonder if INDOT would go for that.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ysuindy

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 10, 2015, 08:20:08 AM

I had never thought about designating US 31 between I-80/90 and US 30 as I-190 (or I-180).  That is an interesting idea.  I wonder if INDOT would go for that.

Is the 20/31 Bypass built to Interstate standards between the Toll Road and the 31 interchange?

english si

There's also the issue of the cloverleaf - Kentucky doesn't view it as adequate for 69 to use loop ramps - will AASHTO allow it for I-1x0 in Indiana?

silverback1065

Quote from: ysuindy on February 10, 2015, 09:15:45 PM

Is the 20/31 Bypass built to Interstate standards between the Toll Road and the 31 interchange?

I'd say yes

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ysuindy on February 10, 2015, 09:15:45 PM

I am not an expert on the technical standards for interstates, but to my untrained eye I find nothing different about that stretch of road that distinguishes it from interstates.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

I say raise it already! Hopefully, it won't be too long before we can get the chance to drive on I-67!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: english si on February 11, 2015, 06:56:25 AM
There's also the issue of the cloverleaf - Kentucky doesn't view it as adequate for 69 to use loop ramps - will AASHTO allow it for I-1x0 in Indiana?

Well, if it's any consolation, Illinois does view it as adequate for I-72, I-74, and I-80 to use loop ramps.  Indiana already uses (or did use them) for I-74 around Indianapolis.  And then there's the issue of I-80 in NW Indiana jumping from the Borman Expressway to the Indiana Toll Road.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

theline

Quote from: Brandon on February 11, 2015, 02:01:41 PM

Well, if it's any consolation, Illinois does view it as adequate for I-72, I-74, and I-80 to use loop ramps.  Indiana already uses (or did use them) for I-74 around Indianapolis.  And then there's the issue of I-80 in NW Indiana jumping from the Borman Expressway to the Indiana Toll Road.

I assume you refer to the fact that I-80 WB did follow a one-lane ramp to the Borman, until the bridge was demolished. It now follows a detour to I-65 SB that passes through a long series of convoluted ramps. A replacement for the bridge is coming, but I doubt it will be better than the original.

Regarding whether the US-20/31 bypass is up to Interstate standards, I'd say it is very close, if not there. It has been upgraded significantly in the last few years, eliminating some low-clearance underpasses, among other things.

Brandon

Quote from: theline on February 11, 2015, 02:32:01 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 11, 2015, 02:01:41 PM

I assume you refer to the fact that I-80 WB did follow a one-lane ramp to the Borman, until the bridge was demolished. It now follows a detour to I-65 SB that passes through a long series of convoluted ramps. A replacement for the bridge is coming, but I doubt it will be better than the original.

Eastbound is just as bad, maybe worse.  It goes through a trumpet loop to reach the Toll Road.  Again, only one lane.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.