News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Anyone play Cities: Skylines yet?

Started by Zeffy, March 12, 2015, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

^ Damn, nice job!

Is there any reason I'm noticing a grid of trees? In the top left corner, I can see "blocks" made up of trees. Farms perhaps?

Also, there is an American Roads mod on Steam which changes the road textures to much more American ones. I still have an ambition of perhaps making it so you can put your own signs in the game... and I know C#, it's just that I'm 99% sure it would require models, and I can't model worth crap.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

riiga

I've successfully put a sign I modelled in the game. Didn't work so well though since I have no idea how to make it ploppable anywhere like trees. If I import it as a tree it automatically has a swaying motion animation applied like all trees, which isn't something you'd normally find on a sign.  :-P

The only picture I have of it is this, which was from before I figured out how to apply textures correctly.

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on April 08, 2015, 05:55:31 PM
Is there any reason I'm noticing a grid of trees? In the top left corner, I can see "blocks" made up of trees. Farms perhaps?

Yep, exactly. My plan is to have farms and those grids (along with the trees that were removed from them so I could place them elsewhere) are where they'll be.

Quote from: Zeffy on April 08, 2015, 05:55:31 PM
Also, there is an American Roads mod on Steam which changes the road textures to much more American ones. I still have an ambition of perhaps making it so you can put your own signs in the game... and I know C#, it's just that I'm 99% sure it would require models, and I can't model worth crap.

Only thing I want are crosswalks that are parallel lines, not zebras.

Quote from: riiga on April 08, 2015, 06:32:12 PM
The only picture I have of it is this, which was from before I figured out how to apply textures correctly.

Looks like good work so far. I think you might be onto something (beyond the swaying nature of the sign).

jakeroot

Reviving an old thread because I got C:S running again. The new mods allow some pretty awesome freeway interchanges, provided you have the "Precision Engineering" mod and understand geometry.

Sadly there's no real freeway "puzzle pieces" (so the merges are less harsh) like in CXL or SimCity, but I'm willing to overlook that given how much more expansive this game is in every other regard.

rickmastfan67

I'm definitely going to have to get that mod now!  I picked up Skylines back during the Steam Summer Sale, and I've had a lot of fun with it.  Too bad I need to upgrade my video card first if I really want to do more crazy stuff in it, since a small city lags on my system (still running an ATI 4850 512MB card here) and leaks like heck.

jakeroot

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 10, 2015, 11:50:18 PM
I'm definitely going to have to get that mod now!  I picked up Skylines back during the Steam Summer Sale, and I've had a lot of fun with it.  Too bad I need to upgrade my video card first if I really want to do more crazy stuff in it, since a small city lags on my system (still running an ATI 4850 512MB card here) and leaks like heck.

Actually, everything you see here can be done w/o mods. But getting the angles correct (so as to make perfect clovers) is very difficult without some reference.

As for the graphics, it is a very tough game to run. I have a GTX 970, so I don't have any issues (it runs at a constant 60 fps) but the vast majority of people have to resort to down-scaling mods so their computers can run it. So you aren't alone. :-D

Leaking is what killed Cities XL for me. It always gets laggier and laggier the longer you play it. Absolutely maddening.

EDIT: I re-read my original post. Not sure why I said "mods" (plural). The only mod I used was Precision Engineering.

vdeane

Quote from: jakeroot on July 10, 2015, 08:43:40 PM
Sadly there's no real freeway "puzzle pieces" (so the merges are less harsh) like in CXL or SimCity, but I'm willing to overlook that given how much more expansive this game is in every other regard.
I would consider that a plus.  IMO the puzzle pieces were always clunky and difficult to use, and a major part of why I never managed to master the RHW mod.  What's interesting is that, for all the puzzle pieces, RHW didn't have smooth merges either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

So I just built a new gaming desktop (worth $1.5k) and this game is amazing on max GFX settings while remaining at 60 FPS. The new day/night cycle makes this game look beautiful, especially at night.

Jake. how did you build that cloverstack interchange to that level of realism? I seem to always have a defect that pisses me off when building interchanges - though using the tunnel feature to depress freeways (thanks to fine road heights mod) definitely helps with the realism (not everything is a bridge), but I still can't get it down pat.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

rickmastfan67

What type of video card did you get Zeffy?  Need to get myself a new one since I can run the game on a ATI 4850, but once my city gets to about 10,000 people, I have problems since my card is only 512MB.

Zeffy

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 05, 2015, 10:07:53 PM
What type of video card did you get Zeffy?  Need to get myself a new one since I can run the game on a ATI 4850, but once my city gets to about 10,000 people, I have problems since my card is only 512MB.

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970. This is what my desktop actually looks like:

100% pure custom build - had to order all the parts myself. It was an endeavor for sure, but I can easily say it was worth every penny. My old card (Nvidia GeForce 525M on the laptop pictured in the first photo) could run the game at about 35 FPS on medium, where the only slowdown was when it had to render a lot of things.

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on October 05, 2015, 06:18:44 PM
Jake. how did you build that cloverstack interchange to that level of realism? I seem to always have a defect that pisses me off when building interchanges - though using the tunnel feature to depress freeways (thanks to fine road heights mod) definitely helps with the realism (not everything is a bridge), but I still can't get it down pat.

Lots of trial and error. Getting the slip roads to approach at the correct angle is a bitch sometimes. On occasion, I have a glitch where if the slip road merges at an angle that the game considers too tight, there is some GFX bugging in the "merge area". You are left to re-draw the slip lane so that the angle isn't too tight.

The other point is that you need the "No Pillars" mod because pillars will always get in the way. To me, the in-game pillars are no more realistic than having no pillars at all, seeing as real-life ramp pillars have varying lengths between each pillar so as to pass over each carriageway, whereas C:S has a non-varying length. I never view my interchanges from the side, so I just don't give a shit about pillars. To me, it's all about the geometry. Parts of the interchange where there are elevated ramps can have the pillars, of course, but I leave them out when I draw the part of the ramp that passes over another roadway at anything besides a 90-degree angle.

Here are some interchanges in my most recent yet-to-be-published city journal, Takapuna (based on one of my favorite places, New Zealand):

Complex system of collector/distributor lanes:

Similar to above but with two freeway interchanges:

Lid over freeway (inspired by the countless examples from WSDOT). Most of my railways run below-grade but I kept this one at-grade because the freeway approaches the roundabout below-grade just ahead, so it made more sense:

Quote from: Zeffy on October 05, 2015, 10:47:44 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 05, 2015, 10:07:53 PM
What type of video card did you get Zeffy?

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970. This is what my desktop actually looks like:

That's the same video card I have, Zeffy, but I think I might swap mine for a 980, if only because the memory allocation issue of the 970 bothers me.

riiga

Very smooth interchanges, Jake!

I started playing some again after the release of After Dark, here's what my city looks like so far:

And the latest day view I have, not as up to date though:

Zeffy

I haven't worked on mine yet, but here's some screenshots I took while playing the game for the first time on my desktop:

(ignore the shitty pre-built interchange that I didn't remove because at the time I had not unlocked highways!)

So yeah, not much, but it'll definitely expand now that this game runs smooth as silk.

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on October 06, 2015, 09:16:13 PM
So yeah, not much, but it'll definitely expand now that this game runs smooth as silk.

Keep in mind that your game will slow down as your city expands. My game also runs very smooth from the get-go, but the more people you have, the slower it runs. x9 fast-forward slowly becomes x2. The killer is usually the number of cars that the game has to render. So do your best to encourage walking/biking/public transit. Seriously, it will be a lifesaver in time.

Thing 342

Since this thread is active again, I'll post a city I've been working on recently :

*** WARNING - LARGE IMAGES ***

rickmastfan67

Did they add any new bridge designs in "After Dark"?

Thing 342

Zeffy

Quote from: jakeroot on October 06, 2015, 09:22:23 PM

Keep in mind that your game will slow down as your city expands. My game also runs very smooth from the get-go, but the more people you have, the slower it runs. x9 fast-forward slowly becomes x2. The killer is usually the number of cars that the game has to render. So do your best to encourage walking/biking/public transit. Seriously, it will be a lifesaver in time.

What's your processor speed? I feel like that may determine how the game runs under pressure, since the calculations for AI traffic and whatnot dramatically increase. I have an Intel i5 Devil's Canyon 3.5GHZ Quadcore, so I'm not sure if I would run into those issues. I know I experienced the same issue on my old i5 Dualcore, but the clock speed was only 2.5GHZ for each core.

@Thing: Nice screenshots! I got an Atlanta sort of vibe on the second shot, with the freeway running straight through the heart of the central business district.

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on October 06, 2015, 11:16:50 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 06, 2015, 09:22:23 PM

What's your processor speed? I feel like that may determine how the game runs under pressure, since the calculations for AI traffic and whatnot dramatically increase. I have an Intel i5 Devil's Canyon 3.5GHZ Quadcore, so I'm not sure if I would run into those issues. I know I experienced the same issue on my old i5 Dualcore, but the clock speed was only 2.5GHZ for each core.

Right now, I'm running an Intel i7 4790 "Haswell" @ 3.6 GHz. But I also have a "realistic traffic" mod which spawns more vehicles than normal, which my be inhibiting my performance.

Quote from: riiga on October 06, 2015, 10:13:21 AM
Very smooth interchanges, Jake!

I started playing some again after the release of After Dark, here's what my city looks like so far:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24401393/csl17.jpg

Thanks Riiga! I like what I see on your map, as well (though I am admittedly not a fan of grids -- I use them but they are more akin to the kind found in Milton Keynes, England.

vtk

Is there a district policy setting to use a specific color of street lights?  If not, there should be...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

riiga

There isn't, the color depends on the type of road. Avenues with medians have orange lights while the others seem to have LED-like light.

ET21

I think I read somewhere that Skylines will be coming to consoles as well
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jakeroot

Quote from: ET21 on October 07, 2015, 02:24:28 PM

I never would have guessed, but I'll be damned, you're right:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/4/9094763/cities-skylines-xbox-one-exclusive-first-console-premier-gamescom

I've always believed, however, that simulation games fit better onto PCs than consoles.

vtk

Quote from: jakeroot on October 07, 2015, 05:32:33 PM

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/4/9094763/cities-skylines-xbox-one-exclusive-first-console-premier-gamescom

I've always believed, however, that simulation games fit better onto PCs than consoles.

Yeah, Minecraft has a couple of slightly annoying limitations on XBox 360...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ET21

Quote from: vtk on October 07, 2015, 11:55:38 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 07, 2015, 05:32:33 PM

Yeah, Minecraft has a couple of slightly annoying limitations on XBox 360...

Still does, however the One version is much better (bigger maps, farther views)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.