Anyone play Cities: Skylines yet?

Started by Zeffy, March 12, 2015, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffaboy

This game blows Simutrans out of the water. The problem for me is that if I got it, I wouldn't be able to stop playing it as I'm a big procrastinator. But that's another story.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

jakeroot

Quote from: Buffaboy on October 15, 2015, 11:05:51 AM
This game blows Simutrans out of the water. The problem for me is that if I got it, I wouldn't be able to stop playing it as I'm a big procrastinator. But that's another story.

I know that feeling. I have to be careful how much I play. I've played just short of 200 hours since I got the game in March.

riiga

With the help of this fantastic mod my interchanges now have smooth merges and not the horrible standard ones in CSL. Very useful for making the railroad look good too.

Zeffy

Holy shit, I'm totally getting that mod when I get home from work today.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

Sharp angles + Road Anarchy has allowed me to create this, something I couldn't have dreamed of even last week. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: riiga on November 20, 2015, 11:54:34 AM
With the help of this fantastic mod my interchanges now have smooth merges and not the horrible standard ones in CSL. Very useful for making the railroad look good too.

Subscribed. :D

Thing 342

noelbotevera

I'm waiting for payday on Thursday so that my dad can buy the expansion pack and the game. Deluxe seems tempting, although not really worth busting out more for five buildings. I wanna show the true designer of who I am (please don't reply with John Cena). Enough positive talk now.

vtk

A couple nights ago I dreamed I got tired of waiting until I had a new computer, and just bought C:SL and installed it on my 32-bit machine. It ran great, but the water simulation started doing weird things, and that distracted me from building a city. Then I think the dream morphed into something else entirely.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Zeffy

Jake and Riiga, how did you guys build things without ugly defects appearing while using that sharp junction mod? Everytime I try to build something, the road literally glitches out to the point where it's either in the ground or aligned in a way that looks incredibly ugly.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on November 25, 2015, 10:11:33 PM
Jake and Riiga, how did you guys build things without ugly defects appearing while using that sharp junction mod? Everytime I try to build something, the road literally glitches out to the point where it's either in the ground or aligned in a way that looks incredibly ugly.

You have to make sure the roads aren't too sharp. There is still a limit to how big the game will allow a junction to be, even with this new mod. With the highways, the breakaway points (where the roads merge and diverge) naturally curve a little, so things can still look good.

jakeroot

I built a diverging-diamond interchange. Almost all of the traffic goes to the left of this image, so it works good here. Only one signal for most of the traffic.

noelbotevera

Bumping this thread. Has anyone tried making an express-local setup? That's how I might plan my city freeways. So pretty much, when you enter, all the traffic splits into express and local. All through traffic takes the express lanes, and only exit at major interchanges (freeways or major avenues). Local traffic handles all the minor stuff, and to help out traffic, I also have elevated frontage roads. I have no picture unfortunately.

jakeroot

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 25, 2015, 07:08:56 PM
Bumping this thread. Has anyone tried making an express-local setup? That's how I might plan my city freeways. So pretty much, when you enter, all the traffic splits into express and local. All through traffic takes the express lanes, and only exit at major interchanges (freeways or major avenues). Local traffic handles all the minor stuff, and to help out traffic, I also have elevated frontage roads. I have no picture unfortunately.

All of my freeways have collector carriageways. I also don't have a photo but I will post one when I get the time.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2015, 10:18:31 PM

You have to make sure the roads aren't too sharp. There is still a limit to how big the game will allow a junction to be, even with this new mod. With the highways, the breakaway points (where the roads merge and diverge) naturally curve a little, so things can still look good.

How do you activate that mod in-game? I have it installed, but can't figure it out.  I did make a DDI, but it's like 3x-4x bigger than in your picture that you posted Jake.

jakeroot

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 26, 2015, 10:19:13 PM

How do you activate that mod in-game? I have it installed, but can't figure it out.  I did make a DDI, but it's like 3x-4x bigger than in your picture that you posted Jake.

Apart from making sure the mod is activated (by going to Content Manager > Mods > and making sure that "Sharp Junction Angles" has a blue checkbox), in the game, make sure the chirpie (the blue bird) is "stretched" (literally). Ctrl+A activates the sharp angles mod (when it's activated, the chirpie is stretched). In addition, you have to turn off bending by pressing Ctrl+B. When bending is off, the game won't naturally curve roads that meet at 45 degrees or less (normally, if you try to draw a sharp angle, the game will try and draw the road slightly bent so as to meet where intended, but at 45 degrees or more).

Also, it does require some trial and error. There are still some angles that are too sharp for the game to handle. Experience will teach you which angles won't work.

noelbotevera

I have no idea how to put screenshots on this website, so I'll just explain it in words.

It turns out trying to do an express-local-frontage road setup was somewhat of a bad idea. I placed 3 passenger train stations, and tried to connect them all. It was hard to go east, so I had to go over the highway. Luckily I had a wide median, but it was a pain to go over and under the highways.

Also, it does help out traffic. My downtown was congested, so I decided to carry the traffic to the setup. It worked, but now the right lane of my local lanes are forever clogged.

jakeroot

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 26, 2015, 11:27:01 PM
I have no idea how to put screenshots on this website, so I'll just explain it in words.

It turns out trying to do an express-local-frontage road setup was somewhat of a bad idea. I placed 3 passenger train stations, and tried to connect them all. It was hard to go east, so I had to go over the highway. Luckily I had a wide median, but it was a pain to go over and under the highways.

My most recent city has all the freeways built below-grade. In theory, I have two grades: +24 metres is for main roads and trains, +12 metres is for freeways and subways (and train tunnels), and 0 is sea level. This seems to work well, because I can just lid over any portion of freeway that needs to have something pass over it. Here's an example of my collector lanes and some lids (below).

My collector lanes are just carriageways that run next to each other. Each outside carriageway exits at the next junction, and then rejoins again (unless there are three carriageways). There are lanes between the carriageways to allow traffic to switch to the main carriageway in case they aren't getting off again.

noelbotevera

Mine are structured below level. Except for the north-south highways, the express lanes are above level at 15 m.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jakeroot on December 26, 2015, 11:14:04 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 26, 2015, 10:19:13 PM

Apart from making sure the mod is activated (by going to Content Manager > Mods > and making sure that "Sharp Junction Angles" has a blue checkbox), in the game, make sure the chirpie (the blue bird) is "stretched" (literally). Ctrl+A activates the sharp angles mod (when it's activated, the chirpie is stretched). In addition, you have to turn off bending by pressing Ctrl+B. When bending is off, the game won't naturally curve roads that meet at 45 degrees or less (normally, if you try to draw a sharp angle, the game will try and draw the road slightly bent so as to meet where intended, but at 45 degrees or more).

Also, it does require some trial and error. There are still some angles that are too sharp for the game to handle. Experience will teach you which angles won't work.

Jake, thanks for letting me know the shortcuts.  Finally got it working now. :)  Was able to shrink my DDI down by over half. :)

jakeroot

Much to my chagrin (given the massive land take, I have been not-so partial to them in the past), the Parclo B4 is by far the most efficient freeway junction I've built in C:S so far. I have three A4s and one B4, and while all are exceptionally good at what they do, the B4 is just a hair more efficient. Here's an image of the B4 junction, which services lots of trucks going to/from the port:

(note: traffic drives on the left, and all movements are controlled by yield signs -- there are no signals)

rickmastfan67

Nice job there Jake!  You should make some of these interchanges anx put them up in the workshop on Steam. ;)

On a separate note, I do hope they add toll highways/booths/gantries soon to the game. :)

riiga

Trying out the new expansion, the winter theme looks really good to me, and the game is starting to feel more complete with all the mods as well as the new features.

noelbotevera

On my side, I decided to scrap my last city and began a fresh one. I decided to do frontage road + double decker. The double decker is structured like I-35 in San Antonio (express lanes on top, local lanes on the bottom), and the frontage lanes are in the middle.  I decided not to move the frontage lanes so now it is gonna be a pain to do exits. I'm also terrible at trying to restack highways.

Example: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9325752,-122.4077,3a,75y,300.62h,88.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5F4htOH4HslXHcHeQMVw2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It always looks weird and I'm trying to improve that. But I forgot, I should have switched pillars.  :banghead:

rickmastfan67

I just want them to add in support for toll booths and I'll be a happy camper. :)  (Yes, I know I sound like a broken recorded, but seriously, this is something that they need to add!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.